• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Just announced during the Nintendo Direct. Coming to Switch, PS4, and Xbox One early next year. The tweet from Tales Channel says "this winter" (according to Google Translate). Seems to be based on the PS3 and PC versions.

View: https://youtu.be/A8XVavbSrDw

View: https://twitter.com/bandainamcouk/status/1569702505839312896?s=46&t=6cTmutOE3QyOBmJF4fW6Ww

View: https://twitter.com/tales_ch/status/1569699318743076865?s=46&t=buhK1OSGXvElUxdLqBdInA

Hopefully they got it running at 60 FPS like the original GameCube version, but I'm not holding my breath. Still, it'll be nice to have this on Switch. It's still a really good game. Hope we also get Dawn of the New World at some point.

EDIT: See threadmarks for more info. Confirmed to be 1080p 30FPS on all platforms, with a $39.99 price point in the US. For a port of a game that was $19.99 on PS3 (or $39.99 with the game's sequel) and PC.

EDIT 2: North America is getting the Chosen Edition as well, but it's exclusive to the Bandai Namco store:

store.bandainamcoent.com

Bandai Namco Entertainment Store

Official Bandai Namco Entertainment Store

Last edited:

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
"Remastered".

I swear this looks 1:1 like the original game and it wasn't even 60fps right? Cause that would be huge since you can't even get the PC to run in 60.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Port the gamecube version. Fucking hell with this 30fps crap. gamecube version is still the only good way to play it.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
"Remastered".

I swear this looks 1:1 like the original game and it wasn't even 60fps right? Cause that would be huge since you can't even get the PC to run in 60.
Yeah. The tradeoff is that it includes the content from the PS2 version, but because the game is based on that version, it's 30 FPS rather than 60. It's disappointing.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice to have this on PlayStation and Xbox too. It's trapped on the PS3 for PlayStation players.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't say a single new thing about it. It looks exactly like the PS3 remaster. All I wanted was voiced skits...

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this based on the PS2 version, or are we finally getting gamecube?

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Will be nice to replay, but i have to say, seeing a port of the original, but the port of the sequel missing made me laugh, guess they knew it would not sell well.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I mean, on one hand, it's still based on that shitty PS3 port.

On the other hand...I cherish this game almost more than anything else and played it throughh over fifteen times. Am I going to deny myself a handheld experience?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the logo red?! D: I want the original turquoise back.
Also, did the characters always look this strange? I remember (it's been a long time though) the game and characters looking much more anime/cel-shaded.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Why is the logo red?! D: I want the original turquoise back.
Also, did the characters always look this strange? I remember (it's been a long time though) the game and characters looking much more anime/cel-shaded.
The red logo is from the PS2 version, they've used it for the previous re-releases on PS3 and PC as well. Only the original version on GameCube had the turquoise logo.

Info from Nintendo’s press release
Oct 26, 2017
From Nintendo's PR:

• Tales of Symphonia Remastered: A remaster of the beloved classic Tales of Symphonia is coming to Nintendo Switch with enhanced graphics and improved gameplay! The world of Sylvarant is controlled by shadowy forces called Desians. To stop them, a person known as the Chosen One must ascend the Tower of Salvation. Lloyd soon embarks on a journey with Colette, the current Chosen One and his childhood friend, in this classic action-RPG. The fate of two interconnected worlds hangs in the balance. Play with up to three friends in local co-op mode to fight powerful opponents in real-time battles. Combine hundreds of special attacks and magic spells. Tales of Symphonia Remastered begins its journey on Nintendo Switch in early 2023.​

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have the GCN version and actually played and beat it again on PS3 last year

It still holds up pretty well I think, great game

Can't believe it's almost 20 years old

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
How many time are they going to release that one while Destiny R is gathering dust in the drawer?

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
FUCK YES.

Hoping it's the GCN version, but I am such a sucker for this game I'll still buy it even if it's not.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I'll buy it again.

Probably not day one if there is nothing new.

One of my favorite games. I think it would be worth a remake, but it's also quite large so I doubt it would ever happen.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
At the very fucking least please give us the option to skip cutscenes. Going for the platinum in the PS3 version was such a slog.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
It would be wild if it came to Xbox/Playstation and is somehow still 30fps. I first played through the PS3 remaster a couple years ago without realizing the Gamecube version is actually better in that way. I guess I'll wait for the performance on this new version before deciding to try out the Gamecube one but it'll be inexcusable if they can't get this to 60fps on current machines (even the Switch honestly).

Also I know most people wouldn't care/actively disregard it as a sequel but I wonder if there's a chance they'll do Dawn of the New World. It was already included in the PS3 version by default so it'd be a bit of a downgrade if they left it out of this package. Yeah the game isn't that good but I'd still like to see it in there. Based on the fact that it got no mention I'm not expecting it though.