• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it's reasonable to assume that the Switch isn't capable of performance parity with a console from 2006.

Well more powerful consoles have the same resolution and performance it's either some stupid console parity or some versions are gimped one way or the other.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
What does VFR mean for PC anyway? Will the game support higher than 60FPS? If not why not just write 60FPS? Every framerate is going to be variable, I doubt the old Xbox/PS4 or the Switch will maintain 60 all the time, can bet sitting in the middle of particles in combat will slow that fucker down.

Anyway 4K60 is what I wanted so whatever, buying it, as long as the port isn't a disaster.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did the original version have framerate issues?

If not, there's no reason to expect Switch to have issues.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Was always getting it on Switch anyway, but I would've gotten a 1440p/4K version as well. Oh well.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
60fps in battle is all I needed confirmed. Gonna go with the Switch version.

PS3 version was kinda weird resolution wise. I think it was something weird like 576p being upscaled to 720?

Thread cover's amazing too, that's a really neat feature.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
What I was expecting for the Switch. Too bad for Xbone owners though, it's a shame. I'll be getting it on Switch for the portability, I don't really care about higher res or 60fps outside of battles, it didn't bother me when I played it on 360.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There's a worrying sign though.

In the already released trailers, we can clearly see that the game is having significant framerate drops in battles. The 60fps is probably targeting instead of locked.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure it's reasonable to assume that the Switch isn't capable of performance parity with a console from 2006.
It shouldn't be, yet with them not managing to do better than parity for base Xbox One, I'm keeping my expectations low (in a less fair comparison seeing as it's a 2018 release and running on a much newer engine in UE4, I was also thinking back to Switch having issues maintaining frame rate parity with PS4 and XB1 for Dragon Ball FighterZ in spite of that not seeming to be particularly intensive).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That's a great performance mark they hit for Switch. So incredibly hyped for this, it's my third favourite game of all time (behind TESIV and TESV)!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
30 fps for exploration & 60 fps in battles are fine.

I already beat & Platinum'd it, have no qualms with either.

Don't let resolution & such ruin your enjoyment.

The PS3 version + extras finally officially localized & at very least, it's functional to play from beginning to the end.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good that japanese devs have learned that we do 4k on PC now but they still need to learn about not limiting the damn resolution to begin with.

So, like... what's up with requier being 16 gb ram? What in that game could possibly require that ? XD

Yeah I really doubt it'll actually need anywhere near that. It's probably just a token recommended requirement, like everything else says 16gb why not our game!

Nov 8, 2017
Disappointed that Pro isn't mentioned, but 60fps is the most important thing that makes a much bigger difference than 4K, and the PS4's version has 60fps, so I'm good.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Yep PS3 wasn't even 720p, it was a weird 1280x576 upscaled to 1280x720, so good deal for the Switch SKU.
Even if it could've been better all around you can see where they decided to put their money and which version they expect to sell more (eg. Switch and PS4), X and Pro patch might or might not come down the line but that clearly wasn't a big deal to them as well.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
It's good that japanese devs have learned that we do 4k on PC now but they still need to learn about not limiting the damn resolution to begin with.

Yeah I really doubt it'll actually need anywhere near that. It's probably just a token recommended requirement, like everything else says 16gb why not our game!

The game is 21GB on Xbox One.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the Xbox version supports constant 60FPS on the X. If it doesn't, I'll just get it for Switch instead.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is weird...how is the Xbox One version not able to run the game 60fps outside of battles? This game should really not be that demanding... Also, if there's a PC version with higher resolution there should naturally be a higher resolution option for Pro and X too.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Was really really worried the Switch version would suffer resolution or framerate wise but that's a damn good port. That settles me getting it on there.

Really weird base PS4 is the only one that supports 60fps outside of battles though (putting aside xbox one x and pro)

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch version seems to be the one to get here, IMO. (or PC of course)

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So PS4 and PC version for me then

Considering it's a remaster I am betting it will fall in price quicker than a new release of a tales game (which already falls pretty quick as is lol)

Oct 29, 2017
Surprised that they actually upped the framerate outside of battles on PS4; would've thought for sure that the logic was tied to the framerate like it was with Tales of Symphonia (especially given that it is built on a superset of the same engine). Mind you though, it's not exactly a big deal anyway, there's basically no meaningful action-based gameplay outside of battles anyway, so it's not like it actually really matters.

BTW, Tales of Vesperia is actually sub native 720p on PS3 (1280 x 576p to be exact - while the 360 version was 1280 x 720p). Let's hope that TOV is indeed actually 1080p native and not upscaled on Switch. There really is no reason why it shouldn't be, but considering that this is the same company that completely botched the Naruto Shippuden trilogy on Switch, I wouldn't put it past them...

Last edited:

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch performance is what I was expecting, but I am surprised that the Xbox performance doesn't match the PS4 performance.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
30 fps for exploration & 60 fps in battles are fine.

I already beat & Platinum'd it, have no qualms with either.

Don't let resolution & such ruin your enjoyment.

The PS3 version + extras finally officially localized & at very least, it's functional to play from beginning to the end.

Imma be honest, as a supporter of the OG 360 release, the lack of Troy Baker in the new dubbed scenes is the main deal breaker, it shows a lack of effort to me, these issues frame rate discrepancies compound the issue.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
day one on Switch when it goes on sale. better if it was 60 FPS across the board but at least the battle portion was nailed down

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
So you're telling me that they couldn't get the game to run at 60fps outside of battles on the base X1S for this game? A port of a game that is more than a decade old.

You serious, Namco?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
it shows a lack of effort to me
Isn't he several orders of magnitude more expensive to get these days than he was when Vesperia originally released? Would have been incredible to get him back... but I get why it didn't happen.

I'm surprised they even bothered dubbing the new scenes. They can and have skimped out on that kind of thing entirely before (see: no voiced skits in Tales of the Abyss outside of Japan)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 version being 60fps in both sections while the XBO/Switch being like the original tells me that Bamco prioritized the playstation version while the others feel like a "if you have time"