• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
If I was going to play just one Tales game, should it be this one?

It is a rather safe title as it has the "traditional" JRPG feel of locked camera during town/dungeon exploration with an overworld exploration (which are sadly a relic in recent Tales games).

Tales games can be divisive for each person but I recommend it if you can get it during sales and prepare to use a missables guide for the best first playthrough experience. Give Vesperia a shot if you have to play just one Tales game!

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Going to start this tonight. I took a quick look at the beginning of a walkthrough just to get a sense of the game mechanics and noticed there was a bunch of stuff about secret objectives during boss battles and having to scan enemies to complete a side quest.

If I don't give a shit about getting the platinum in the game, is it ok to ignore all that stuff? Or will I miss anything significant story wise?

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Going to start this tonight. I took a quick look at the beginning of a walkthrough just to get a sense of the game mechanics and noticed there was a bunch of stuff about secret objectives during boss battles and having to scan enemies to complete a side quest.

If I don't give a shit about getting the platinum in the game, is it ok to ignore all that stuff? Or will I miss anything significant story wise?

I'm not familiar with PlayStation Trophy system but I believe Platinum is for completing every trophies/achievements?

I still recommend playing with a guide so you don't missed out a lot of missable side quests but scanning enemies are completely optional.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

If you don't care about the plat, don't worry about any of that, lol

Just enjoy the story and characters.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
*does a run of an optional dungeon. Gets 0 fake gald over an hour and a half*

well this might take a while

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Started the game the other day, arrived at Halure.

I need some tips, anything is welcome.

Also, questions:
-i must have touched something during combat but now the visual is set from afar, i tried the ZL+L combination to change it but i can't get closer, what do i do?
-is it normal that i still can't use anyone else other than Yuri? If not, what am i doing wrong?
-I have troubles parrying, it seems that there either is some sort of imput lag or i'm not reading the enemy moves correctly, but i get hit a lot
-The IT explanation for weapon abilities wasn't very good, how does it work exactly? The more i use a weapon with an ability the better i become at it, and once i "obtain" it i can use it even with other equipment right?

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Started the game the other day, arrived at Halure.

I need some tips, anything is welcome.

Also, questions:
-i must have touched something during combat but now the visual is set from afar, i tried the ZL+L combination to change it but i can't get closer, what do i do?
-is it normal that i still can't use anyone else other than Yuri? If not, what am i doing wrong?
-I have troubles parrying, it seems that there either is some sort of imput lag or i'm not reading the enemy moves correctly, but i get hit a lot
-The IT explanation for weapon abilities wasn't very good, how does it work exactly? The more i use a weapon with an ability the better i become at it, and once i "obtain" it i can use it even with other equipment right?

1. I can't exactly remember the exact controls but when you open up the menu during battle, there will be a menu hint mentioning the camera control which you can toggle the angle and zoom. There is three levels for each angle and zoom but I'll get back to you with screenshots from the PC version after sleep.
2. You'll need to synthesis the Moon Selector to change the player character. Since the Definitive Edition has DLC galores, look for Pack of Useful Stuff in the Extra Items menu if I'm not mistaken. EDIT: I initially read it as changing player character during battle. You can swap the position of the party to be the player character by moving them to the first slot (left most side).
3. Parry is either tricky or non-existent... (I rarely pull it off). Also relies on the equipped skills so better to learn when to defend and attack while free running.
4. Once you have learned (fill up) a skill from a weapon, you can toggle it in the Skills menu per character without having the weapon equipped.

Last edited:

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I was playing this last night and my 6 year old daughter walked in and said "that dog is so handsome" when she saw Repede.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So how's the port of the Switch version?. I have Amazon credit promos to burn that expire this month and they don't stack with the other promos I was hoping to use them on lol. Just read about the crashing issues otherwise is there anything else I'm missing if I don't go with the PS4 version instead?.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
So how's the port of the Switch version?. I have Amazon credit promos to burn that expire this month and they don't stack with the other promos I was hoping to use them on lol. Just read about the crashing issues otherwise is there anything else I'm missing if I don't go with the PS4 version instead?.

I went straight for the PS4 version, I wasn't gong to deal with that on my Switch. From the back notes, it doesn;t look like everyone got the crashing, but it was an annoying thing that happened.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I went straight for the PS4 version, I wasn't gong to deal with that on my Switch. From the back notes, it doesn;t look like everyone got the crashing, but it was an annoying thing that happened.
Guess I'm taking the risk then lol. Hope that patch in March fixed the issues. If I got it on PS4 I'm less likely to play it. Never knew how much I would appreciate portability until I got a Switch.

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat the boss at the end of the Necropolis of Nostalgia . Spent two separate 20 minute fights doing only 100k damage to him, then had to learn the
Raven strategy of just spamming the arrows from above. Didn't even have Yuri in the party as I felt he was more of a hindrance when I had to heal him all the time

Probably going to just unlock all skits and finish up 200 man melee with Repede, Karol, and Estelle to finish the game.

Question: Do I have to do new game + to unlock all skits, then fly to Nam Cobanda Island in that New Game+ to view them?

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Finally beat the boss at the end of the Necropolis of Nostalgia . Spent two separate 20 minute fights doing only 100k damage to him, then had to learn the
Raven strategy of just spamming the arrows from above. Didn't even have Yuri in the party as I felt he was more of a hindrance when I had to heal him all the time

Probably going to just unlock all skits and finish up 200 man melee with Repede, Karol, and Estelle to finish the game.

Question: Do I have to do new game + to unlock all skits, then fly to Nam Cobanda Island in that New Game+ to view them?

I still need to finish Necropolis of Nostalgia as I'm halfway there. As for the skits, yes that is the only way to view it so I recommend keeping track of the missing skits by screenshot the current list and do a speedrun in EX New Game with items/levels/skills/artes transfer which I estimate should be 3-4 hours if you skip all cutscenes!

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

It's not quite as pretty as the bigger siblings and I noticed some frame rate performances here and there. I beat it on switch and then traded it in for the XB1 version which seems more vivid than I remembered on the switch portable mode..

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying the game but I just got to Ehmead hill. This boss is cruel and unusual punishment.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I had played through part of this game on 360, but the first two hours do not seem familiar to me at all. I think it actually must have been Tales of the Abyss on the PS2 I was thinking of.

Combat seems really simple so far but I only just left the starting city. Yuri is already a good protagonist. Estelle is pretty typical naive type.

Amazing that I am playing this rather than all the new games coming out. I stalled on Fire Emblem: Three Houses and I saw this sitting in my Steam library from the Summer Sale and it called to me.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
IjczCG5.png

After 212 hours, I finally defeated and magic lens every monsters in the game! Well around 10-15 hours of it is me poking around with CheatEngine to see if I can come up with a camera hack (sort of working but not reliable).

Still need to complete the item books and after that, coming up with a working camera hack for the game for screenshot purpose.

Oct 27, 2017
IjczCG5.png

After 212 hours, I finally defeated and magic lens every monsters in the game! Well around 10-15 hours of it is me poking around with CheatEngine to see if I can come up with a camera hack (sort of working but not reliable).

Still need to complete the item books and after that, coming up with a working camera hack for the game for screenshot purpose.

You framed the speech bubble in the screenshot on purpose, did you?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch version is on sale for $25 on the eShop this week. Been saving for AI The Somnium Files, but I might have to pick this up instead!

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Soooooo uhhhh how do you heal party members in this game via artes?
I can change enemy targets when attacking but when I attempt to heal I cannot seem to target allies for whatever reason. This is annoying.
Crashes, audio volume glitches, frame rate stuttering outside of battle.
Not sure if there was a patch but I'm playing it on Switch and haven't had any issues thus far. 8 hours into the game btw.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Soooooo uhhhh how do you heal party members in this game via artes?
I can change enemy targets when attacking but when I attempt to heal I cannot seem to target allies for whatever reason. This is annoying.
It's been a while since I played the game but left stick/dpad or the select/minus button is the usual way in tales of games. Sometimes holding the artes button and selecting with Left stick works too.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
been coming back to the never finished save of this recently and I decided to give up on it for good. The battle system sucks imho. I am at the point storywise where
i just beat captain Swann/Raven
and I still cannot pull off anything outside regular Artes appointed to a button. it doesnt flow nearly as satisfying as Symphonia

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
If the Patty scenes in Capua Nor aren't Troy Baker then I didn;t actually notice the voice change. The loading screen after battles is really annoying, there's no need for that in a remaster of an old game.

I don't like the heavy DOF effect they use in cutscenes either

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to edit the menus (mostly item names and artes) using HyoutaTools to dump the text from STRING_DIC.SO, but it takes a ton of time to process and exits with an OutOfMemoryError...
I know next to nothing about .net so now I'm thinking about porting it to somewhere else as an exercise.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
I've been trying to edit the menus (mostly item names and artes) using HyoutaTools to dump the text from STRING_DIC.SO, but it takes a ton of time to process and exits with an OutOfMemoryError...
I know next to nothing about .net so now I'm thinking about porting it to somewhere else as an exercise.

Out of curiosity, what are you planning to do with the dumped text? I've used HyoutaTools mainly to extract the levels and characters so I can do textures mod and fix any glaring typo like "PattyFleur" which I admit I did a hex edit instead of proper text replacement.

Speaking of which, I should revisit my camera hack using CheatEngine but I'm still newbie to assembly.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what are you planning to do with the dumped text? I've used HyoutaTools mainly to extract the levels and characters so I can do textures mod and fix any glaring typo like "PattyFleur" which I admit I did a hex edit instead of proper text replacement.

Speaking of which, I should revisit my camera hack using CheatEngine but I'm still newbie to assembly.
My main objective is to get the arte names and put them in the brazilian translation so it matches the battle voices, but leave the rest of the text (menus, descriptions, etc) intact. It's hard to know what I'm about to use with all the names in portuguese lol
I did try to edit the strings directly on a hex editor, but the number of characters is limited because I'd have to change the pointers and headers to match, so my only option now is to extract and repack everything.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Finally going to Zaude! I don't think I can do anymore warehouses ha.

Brooklynwolf

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
Long time lurker (since the old site), first time poster.

LTTP bump, but I started a game sometime last month (playing on the switch, but owned the 360 game when it released, just never played it unfortunately) and I'm about 55 hours in...and I gotta say-

THIS IS A MEATY GAME.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it....but it's just.SO.long. I haven't even gone out of the main games way to tackle the missable side quests either. It's quite overwhelming to be honest. And to think there's post game content??

Honestly, I think I'm just gonna complete the story and call it in. There's just TOO much to do in the game.

In short, awesome game. Loving it. But it's teetering on the edge of over staying its welcome. I admire those that have put in hundreds of hours into the game to complete every side quest. I just want to finish the story.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh how do I

unlock Duke's third form?? I got all the fell weapons and then faught him but the game just ended after the second form...

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Uhhh how do I

unlock Duke's third form?? I got all the fell weapons and then faught him but the game just ended after the second form...

Are you sure about that?

Also, I have to redo the game for the 10th time because of ONE monster I didn't scan that one time he was available. And he's in that stupid shitty new extra dungeon. Shit.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Uhhh how do I

unlock Duke's third form?? I got all the fell weapons and then fought him but the game just ended after the second form...

If you have all the Fell Arms, it should play a cutscene after his second form where all the Fell Arms merged with him. Also don't bother with using Fell Arms on him and swapped to the strongest non Fell Arms weapon to inflict high damage on him!

Are you sure about that?

Also, I have to redo the game for the 10th time because of ONE monster I didn't scan that one time he was available. And he's in that stupid shitty new extra dungeon. Shit.

Which monster you forgot to scan in the new ex dungeon? I missed out one monster to complete the Monsters Book and it is at Necropolis of Nostalgia.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I'm finally replaying this on Switch and I'm having a totally "wtf" moment because I freaking swear that I thought I remembered that Repede was a talking dog back when I played the game originally on 360. wtf

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Is someone here playing the game on a PS4 Pro and can tell me if there is microstuttering while playing the game?

Choosing the right hardware for this game is a nightmare because they all seem to have their issues.