• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the drift on my joycons is bad enough that I think I'm going to return the game for the PS4 version.

Or shell out for new joycons IDK.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Where does the combat fall in the Tales spectrum? I was looking at picking up a Tales to play. Graces is my favorite game in the series because of the combat alone, and a friend picked this up but said they weren't liking the combat at all. I was also tempted to get Berseria on sale but tried the demo, weird combat and overall super budget feel were putting me off.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where does the combat fall in the Tales spectrum? I was looking at picking up a Tales to play. Graces is my favorite game in the series because of the combat alone, and a friend picked this up but said they weren't liking the combat at all. I was also tempted to get Berseria on sale but tried the demo, weird combat and overall super budget feel were putting me off.

It's the deepest and most complex of the Team Symphonia games, but not as deep or combo heavy as Graces. They play real different, but Vesperia is my favourite Tales combat system since I prefer the simpler and more raw gameplay of past titles over the more combo heavy games.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I accidentally entered the Zagi fight at level 5 with only half of my HP and TP going into the fight, but I somehow managed to not die.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Gah, I forgot how tough the first few real boss fights can be.

Finally beat giant wolf dude after 5 or 6 tries and am so glad I didn't start on hard difficulty.

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
For anyone curious that wants portability and disappointed at the (from what I hear) bad Switch performance. This games runs great on the GPD Win 2. getting 40-55 FPS and I haven't tried to optimize anything yet. No vaseline filter included. =)

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finally beat giant wolf dude after 5 or 6 tries and am so glad I didn't start on hard difficulty.

That boss fight is absurdly difficult made worse that the skills at that time still blow and there's no good way to grind. Plus the 'mystery challenge' adds just another layer of pain.

Seriously, no other boss gave me more hell (even the secret ones). xD

For anyone curious that wants portability and disappointed at the (from what I hear) bad Switch performance.

Is it really that bed or some tech-geek hyperbole?

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017

If you really enjoyed Graces, this is gonna feel like a pretty hefty step back.

Some characters (Hi, Judith) actually end up with some really fun and deep combat, but everything is dependent on skills, some of which you will not unlock for a very long time.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time since I played Abyss, but I can't remember if the same thing happened in that game or not.

Sometimes in one-on-one fights it feels like Yuri has been right next to an opponent and whiffed an attack because Yuri was facing the opponent at a slight angle instead of head-on? Was this also a thing in Abyss?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone curious that wants portability and disappointed at the (from what I hear) bad Switch performance. This games runs great on the GPD Win 2. getting 40-55 FPS and I haven't tried to optimize anything yet. No vaseline filter included. =)

Most complaints about Switch performance seem to be aimed at Docked mode; Handheld has performed smoothly for me so far.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
So I was downloading the game and it nearly finished (or actually finished? Not sure, I was playing another game), then my entire Switch crashed and had to be reset. Did this happen to anyone else? I heard other reports of the game crashing, but not this specific circumstance.

DeVeAn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and just got it for Switch. The performance is subpar when outside. Should have just locked it down to 30fps outside.

Other then that game holds up well.

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Played 4 and a half hours in 1 sitting which is a lot for me with my busy life, loving it just as much as back in the day. Ps4 version is beautiful, the sound seems really unbalanced and off though =\

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Oh man. Estelle's Japanese voice actress is Nagisa from Clannad. I love her already. Lol.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
The guy doing the new Yuri lines isn't terrible. By his own merit, even, I'd say he does a good job. It's just that filling Troy Baker's shoes is a BIG task.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What settings did you go with?
I lowered the sound effects because I feel like the voice sounds are too low.
uraJ81K.jpg

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
yea i'm giving up.
combat is so awful i cant enjoy it. everything is super sluggish, boss fights feel awful with AI dying all over or gettign stunlocked. got to wolf boss in hills and called it quits

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused.
Maybe it's because I changed my button setup, but how are you supposed to cook after battle? It's telling me to press the left stick + B, but that just seems to skip everything.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The game looks so much better with Reshade. Using both Curves and Clarity and all that fog is gone.
kErSueu.png

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Is it really that bed or some tech-geek hyperbole?

The issues is the Switch version runs at an unlocked frame rate outside of combat. So when wandering around in towns or the world map because the uncapped framerate experiences judder.

Both the original 360 and PS3 releases were 60FPS inside battles and 30 FPS outside of battles. The Switch is at a higher resolution than both of those and also has the same 60 FPS inside combat, it's just doesn't have a locked framerate outside which is where the majority of the complaints stem from. A locked 30 outside of combat would have been better rather than the uncapped frames being all over the place.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
yea i'm giving up.
combat is so awful i cant enjoy it. everything is super sluggish, boss fights feel awful with AI dying all over or gettign stunlocked. got to wolf boss in hills and called it quits
fwiw that wolf boss is a ridiculous difficulty spike that isn't repeated in the rest of the game. I still remember that one from when I played the 360 version 10 years ago.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up on Switch, and I'm absolutely loving it so far.

The combat, the characters, the art style, the music, the story...it's hitting all the right notes for me. The characters and visuals in particular are fantastic. It's really hard to believe this is a 10 year old game. Played about 4 hours so far and I can't wait to play more tomorrow. I can see this being one of my favorite RPGs when all is said and done.

Oct 25, 2017
Played for an hour before going to bed.

I had forgotten how charming the game's opening is.

Also I don't remember Zagi being as aggressive in the 360 version.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Getting near the area where Gattuso is. Dunno if it's just because I'm coming off here pretty hot from DQ11, but the soundtrack has been a lot better than I remember. The VA switches don't seem to stand out as much as more party members join as well, the first ~hour leaves a rough impression but I'm pretty happy with his overall all things considered.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Yeah I beat you into next week"

"But... can you really?"

"Nevermind"

God yuri is the best jrpg protagonist ever.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they optimize portable mode a little better (less post processing, more battery life?), and maybe put a little more bloom into docked. Enjoying it so far though.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
got the "free" adventurers pack figuring that it would just be the usual few gels / crafting items. nope turns out it's everything even the +10 levels and 300k galds.

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
I'm seeing all these people say it runs great in handheld mode, but I'm playing it exclusively like that it and for me it runs pretty bad when walking around the world map o.O

Am I just more sensitive to framedrops? It's so distracting that I'm honestly considering trading it in to GameStop and picking up the XB1 version to play on my X.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Dumb question for anyone playing with Japanese audio and English subs - I've just started the game and I'm playing with English audio, but I'm not a fan of Troy as Yuri (sorry...). I'm worried about missing dialogue during fast-paced scenes if I change languages. I'm used to watching subbed anime, but has anyone had trouble keeping up with the in-game subs? Really tempted to switch.