• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh i expected that he'd be just a shallow edgy main character but he's actually great

Yuri's the best character the series has ever seen. He's so popular in the Tales fandom he's not even allowed to be voted for in fan polls anymore.

You ain't seen nothing yet, trust me.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, later on there will be more weapons and skills to learn, and it can get very expensive or just annoying to gather the mats to synth. And you'll need to decide what kind of type/role development for each character. For example, Estelle can learn both battle and magic artes, but does she really need both? If her role in your party is just a support/healer, you can simply ignore weapons with battle skills for her. It can get pretty grindy too if you want to learn every skill for everyone, as you'd come accross new weapons every now and then.

What would really suck, and I've completely forgotten about this until now, is when I spend money on a weapon only to get it from a dungeon later OTL

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Yuri is a fun main, but I think I like Luke more because of his character arc. I mean, watching him transition throughout the game was great.

Yuri is just a bad ass from start to finish. While that's not bad, I liked Luke's growth more.

I still prefer Vespy to Abyss as a whole though.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the first act. So far I am really enjoying it. It brings back the days of playing JRPGs as a kid. The cast is great although the story and world haven't yet grabbed me just yet, at least not in the way Symphonia did back 15 years ago. This is off my memory but I remember Symphonia's world being more gripping right away. You got a sense of the larger plot and the larger world earlier on. I think Vesperia is just now just starting to have more interesting world building. The use of generic names doesn't help much. The Empire and the Guild don't feel that fleshed out. How much of the world does that Empire control? Are the guilds just based out of that one city? Are there other nations? Those are the questions I have 10+ hours in. The end of the first act has made things more intriguing though.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Kaldaien found the source of the PC port microstutters and finally fixed them.
Sigh, I kinda feel Namco needs to be called out for this, as this isn't the first (or second) time modders have had to fix their PC releases of Tales games.
Kaldaien working for free fixes the issue in less than a week... how does such a huge company tolerate these kinds of mistakes (repeatedly) within their own QA standards?

On the other hand though, I'm just glad we even get Tales games on PC these days.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man just had a scene with the Don and Patty that had some serious VA swap whiplash. Don's new VA is totally different, almost sounds like Jamieson Price (Duke) did it.

BigBluePig

Jul 5, 2018
I want to get this since I've never played it before, but with KH3 right around the corner I have no time for it

Btw, does this have co-op on Switch?

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys I just realized this edition has crazy game breaking dlcs such as a ton of Gald and a lot of EXP gain. My question is, if I use it once, can I use it in further playthroughs? Should I use it sparingly because of that or, like other tales games, the levels will be carried over on NG+?

Edit: also, will this lock me out of trophies?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Hey guys I just realized this edition has crazy game breaking dlcs such as a ton of Gald and a lot of EXP gain. My question is, if I use it once, can I use it in further playthroughs? Should I use it sparingly because of that or, like other tales games, the levels will be carried over on NG+?

Thanks.
Unless they changed how the DLC works from the 360/PS3 version (I'm quite sure they didn't), you can use the DLC boosts once per playthrough, so they should work fine for New Game+, even if you used them for your initial playthrough.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Whew, Secret Mission 4 was as annoying as I remembered but only took me a few tries to get it!

Of course it's far from being the worst one...

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Yuri's Samurai cotume ia so badass; will be using that outfit for the rest of the game

kinda regret claming the free DLC; put the game on easy street..turned it up to hard to give me some challenge.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
Damn. I feel like I've missed stuff. I've been following the guide and it says I need to meet someone at a backalley in Capua Nor but I'm stuck in the Nordopolika area. I hope it doesn't expire when I can leave there again.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The VA switch is a little less obvious when listening through my monitor's speaker, and way too obvious with my ear piece lol

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
This game is giving me life man, just to talk about Tales let alone ToV in 2019 & on Nintendo Switch is honestly a dream come true. This is without a doubt my favorite JRPG of all time while Tales not being my favorite series in particular I fell in love with game due to the skits initially back then and now having played 10 games in the series this is the best bar none, sure combat is iffy but it gets GOOOOD. If this is your first time playing? Congrats.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Got it yesterday for Switch the presentation is damn solid, sound, visuals, cinematics.
I barely played it for a hour, couldn't get into the flow of the game, too much text... I couldn't even explore freely without being dragged out in a story element and forced to seek a path... I guess I'm too early in the game.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yuri's Samurai cotume ia so badass; will be using that outfit for the rest of the game

kinda regret claming the free DLC; put the game on easy street..turned it up to hard to give me some challenge.

You used them at the begining? That's too bad. I will use the free level ups for the endgame stuff so that I can save myself the grind lol

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Well, just got my first crash on the switch, good thing I saved beforehand and just lost like a few battles worth of LP.
Save y'all shit often

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
I just finished the first act. So far I am really enjoying it. It brings back the days of playing JRPGs as a kid. The cast is great although the story and world haven't yet grabbed me just yet, at least not in the way Symphonia did back 15 years ago. This is off my memory but I remember Symphonia's world being more gripping right away. You got a sense of the larger plot and the larger world earlier on. I think Vesperia is just now just starting to have more interesting world building. The use of generic names doesn't help much. The Empire and the Guild don't feel that fleshed out. How much of the world does that Empire control? Are the guilds just based out of that one city? Are there other nations? Those are the questions I have 10+ hours in. The end of the first act has made things more intriguing though.

I must say than in general, I find Symphonia story better than Vesperia. I can't remember any WTF! moment in Vesperia, and Symphonia has a lot. But I think the character relationship grows better in Vesperia. And I like how they tell little stories troughout the battle victories (the Vesperia celebration, Stelle and Repede friendship, Stelle jealousy over Judy).

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Got to the part where
you have to pick which girl to seduce the guard. I picked Karol and dressed him up. Hahahahahahahaha!

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Ooof has a hard crash on Switch undocked, thought my Switch was completely done for. I put it in sleep mode during the Patty scene in the mansion and it wouldn't come back on from sleep mode, thankfully I just had to hold the power button for 12 seconds and got it back up.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Just unlocked Rita, I am pretty OP though even on hard mode because I did a +5lvl +300k gald and then synthesis items. Was able to synthesize some pretty OP weapons and armor early on. I'll have to weapon switch anyway though for skills.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Ooof has a hard crash on Switch undocked, thought my Switch was completely done for. I put it in sleep mode during the Patty scene in the mansion and it wouldn't come back on from sleep mode, thankfully I just had to hold the power button for 12 seconds and got it back up.
There was a big update (220mb or so) day 1, do you download it?

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017

I do think ToV is very basic with lore and world building, but I think characters and story make up for it.
To be honest, replaying this is a breath of fresh air considering I've come from the Trails series which can be very overwhelming at times with all the terminology.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Is the battle dialogue important in any way? I'l started playing with Japanese audio and during Zagi's battle they wouldn't shut up, with no subtitles. I really didn't want to play with an English dub but I might have.

Please add in-battle subs, Namco!

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
Is the battle dialogue important in any way? I'l started playing with Japanese audio and during Zagi's battle they wouldn't shut up, with no subtitles. I really didn't want to play with an English dub but I might have.

Please add in-battle subs, Namco!
It is mostly flavor. A lot of "Wow, he's batshit!" and "Kill, kill, my blade is hungry!"

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha holy shit, according to the guide I've already messed up the Brionac sidequest.

It's a good thing I don't care about Judith.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
How do I synth weapons? I just got Rita but all I've seen in shops is just items. Also there's that guy suggesting synth options like a Rapier but no way to do it.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Do the DLC's break the game? I hate stuff like that. Even if I don't use it, just knowing it exists and messes with the game progression sucks.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Finally dug into this a bit last night. Played it on the 360 years ago but never beat it. I played about 20 minutes with English voices and then restarted with Japanese dialogue - much better.

Looks fantastic. Excited to play more of it this weekend.

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a way around this Gattuso or do I need to defeat it to continue with the story? I'm level 13 and the party is getting absolutely demolished. Pretty frustrating.

After the first boss in the castle which took numerous attempts, then finding standard fights not too bad, it's annoying to come up against another boss who just seems like such a massive difficulty spike. Is this how the game is in general?

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way around this Gattuso or do I need to defeat it to continue with the story? I'm level 13 and the party is getting absolutely demolished. Pretty frustrating.

After the first boss in the castle which took numerous attempts, then finding standard fights not too bad, it's annoying to come up against another boss who just seems like such a massive difficulty spike. Is this how the game is in general?
Worst case scenario: Knock it down to Easy difficulty. He's still not easy on that difficulty either, and you miss out on gaining any Grade for the battle, but it makes things more manageable. Also, set Rita to Fireball spam, or control her to make sure that she does.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

At level 14, Yuri learns Destruction Field, a fire elemental Arte. Gattuso is weak to fire, so between that and Rita's Fireball (disable all her other spells), he should go down more easily.

Concentrate on defeating the minor wolves first. You can also lure Gattuso near the flowers and they'll stun him when attacked.