• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is the battle dialogue important in any way? I'l started playing with Japanese audio and during Zagi's battle they wouldn't shut up, with no subtitles. I really didn't want to play with an English dub but I might have.

Please add in-battle subs, Namco!

It's nothing major but it's still often relevant to the fight or story event that led up to the fight. It's a shame there's no subtitles for those.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yuri and Karol's friendship is so pure and heartwarming whew
Yeah, I love how despite constant teasing, Yuri is always building up Karol's confidence.

Replaying the first part of the game has made me come around a little bit on Karol, because in hindsight this stuff is so obvious but when I played it the first time I couldn't get past how annoying and unnecessarily boastful Karol always was. But Yuri sees through all of it immediately and understands it for the kid insecurity it actually is, and it makes me feel like I should've been a better person and figured that out myself.

I'm still looking forward to Rita roasting Karol constantly, though. I'm only human.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replaying the first part of the game has made me come around a little bit on Karol, because in hindsight this stuff is so obvious but when I played it the first time I couldn't get past how annoying and unnecessarily boastful Karol always was. But Yuri sees through all of it immediately and understands it for the kid insecurity it actually is, and it makes me feel like I should've been a better person and figured that out myself.

I'm still looking forward to Rita roasting Karol constantly, though. I'm only human.

Karol runs a fine line between being a well written kid you sympathize with, as well as an annoying little twerp where it's fun to watch him suffer.

and yeah Yuri and Karol deepening brotherly relationship is one of the highlights of Vesperia's writing.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Lmao at the Lloyd poster:

eb43lzhz0ag3y4dk.png

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I am SO close to setting the game to easy on this Gattuso fight, and I have been playing on hard so far with no major problems...

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
One question, does the game have any sort of affection system with the party members like in Symphonia, and if yes does it matter like with the Flanoir scenes ?

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I think my main issue with Vesperia's battle themes is that they're a little too... relaxed, I guess? There's really only three battle themes I'd really say are really energetic in Vesperia: The Giganto Monster theme (Which got a WAY better arrangement in Zestiria), the cameo battle theme and the theme for one of the new optional bosses late in the game (Not sure if it's spoilers mentioning the boss' name, so I'll just leave it at that)

Despite my lavish praise for Vesperia's OST earlier, yeah, the standard battle themes are just standard Sakuraba fare. (You'd think a track called "Furnace of War" would be more...imposing? Oh well.)

I rather like the boss themes, though -- The Wise One and the standard boss theme come to mind.

(Also, what is with them reusing that Giganto Monster theme? lol)

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
One question, does the game have any sort of affection system with the party members like in Symphonia, and if yes does it matter like with the Flanoir scenes ?

No, it doesn't.

That's the one omission I always have found strange from Team Symphonia. Why didn't they try and re-integrate the affection system? It made subsequent playthroughs much more interesting in Symphonia. I also hardly see anyone ever really mention it, so maybe fans don't care as much?

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The end-of-battle scenes are much more interesting to me than the skits have been so far. Just hit Nordopolica, grinding out new weapons skills outside.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
No, it doesn't.

That's the one omission I always have found strange from Team Symphonia. Why didn't they try and re-integrate the affection system? It made subsequent playthroughs much more interesting in Symphonia. I also hardly see anyone ever really mention it, so maybe fans don't care as much?
Yea its a shame, I enjoyed the idea in Symphonia.

Also yea Estelle and Rita are totally a thing I don't care.

Honestly Rita is just the best, I love that snarkiness, poor Karol.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I cannot believe they didn't adjust Gattsuo for this expansion (or the PS3 one, I guess) -- even when switched to easy it's a doozy.

Running short on time here so no regrets on my difficulty switch. One day I'll overcome those poison fangs/absurd rushes/dizziness bouts on Normal. One day.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot believe they didn't adjust Gattsuo for this expansion (or the PS3 one, I guess) -- even when switched to easy it's a doozy.

Running short on time here so no regrets on my difficulty switch. One day I'll overcome those poison fangs/absurd rushes on Normal. One day.
I spammed him to death with destruction field.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Was Gattsuo really that hard? I died once but the second time I just used overdrive and spammed destruction field to take it down to around half health then ran around and let Estelle heal everyone as I chipped away at it.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Wow also re: Gattuso. Playing on Hard, lvl 13 and stood no chance. Just used one of the +5 lvl DLC items so I'm lvl 18 and I managed to take out the cubs easy but I still lost, tho managed to take down half his health this time. Taking a break but I'll be back at him.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was Gattsuo really that hard? I died once but the second time I just used overdrive and spammed destruction field to take it down to around half health then ran around and let Estelle heal everyone as I chipped away at it.
Thats exactly what i did as well. It is also important to set up the right strats and formations for your ai.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Hard mode of this game kinda sucks in the second half. I enjoy it well enough in the first half and it's not frustrating or really even hard at all, it's just that HP values start to scale up significantly for whatever reason (encourage more Fatal Strikes?) and you basically have to fight through waves of damage sponges.

Unknown kinda sucks for the same reason really and basically pushes the HP value problem earlier into the game. A moderate inbetween setting would have been perfect for this game.

I've gone through it at different difficulties, on fresh files, ng+ files, etc. and never thought it was that bad personally.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Hard mode of this game kinda sucks in the second half. I enjoy it well enough in the first half and it's not frustrating or really even hard at all, it's just that HP values start to scale up significantly for whatever reason (encourage more Fatal Strikes?) and you basically have to fight through waves of damage sponges.

Unknown kinda sucks for the same reason really and basically pushes the HP value problem earlier into the game. A moderate inbetween setting would have been perfect for this game.
Or they could've simply made the enemies harder without multiplying their health pool.

Is there a tech analysis somewhere of the Switch version? How is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKDy9hOOOo

It's hovering at ~50fps in towns and never reaches 60fps.
HvDnuXs.png

It's even worse in overworld map, but it's way more stable in combat and manage to hold 60fps.
jIcG954.png

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny remake and Graces probably have the best hardest difficulties due to all the subsystems making some fun ways to break the game.

Subsystems aside it also helps that you get more EXP and better drops rates for upgrades in Graces. Man I'm really starting to miss playing Graces after 25 hours of this lol.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Never played Vesperia before but just got my game delivered today from Amazon. I've played Symphonia, Legendia, Abyss, Xillia 1&2, and Berseria so I'd say I'm experienced enough with the series. I'm really liking it so far. It has a kind of charm that was definitely present in the Team Symphonia games that hasn't really been there in the last few Tales entries. Also the music is definitely in that older style and makes me feel pretty nostalgic.
Switch performance is okay, can kinda chug along outside of battle and I had one crash right after a skit after like 3 hours of playing. But portability is super nice.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how widespread the crashing issues seem to be, I'm surprised I haven't had a single one so far. The game does hitch up a bit whenever I put on some of the DLC cosutmes, but other than that no noticeable issues.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever played a an Unknown mode in this series that didn't suck.
Or they could've simply made the enemies harder without multiplying their health pool.

This is true. A few of them like Rebirth, the Destiny Remake, and Graces show more effort in that the difficulty settings are more about testing how much you understand the mechanics than overcoming massive HP/Defense stats, and they'll even give you different abilities and bonuses that alter or speed up character progression, so that can be fun if you're into the RPG side of these games. Destiny in particular also throws in a bunch of extra challenge modes and bonuses on top of that so you can test your skills without touching stats and open up some cool tricks and combos you couldn't do otherwise.

Overall though yeah, in most of the games it just feels like overinflated stats (some being bigger offenders than others, Abyss...) and even in the ones that put in some actual effort they inevitably have a handful of fights where the balance is pretty much totally busted and you need ridiculously good precision and execution to win.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I need help! :( I somehow messed the combat camera all up and there seems no way to reset it back to normal, or I'm too dumb to.
It happened when I was trying a few things out with character combat strategies, formation and camera settings during combat, as a result the camera is now zoomed out far each battle and if I try to zoom back in with with square L2 or reset the camera with square L3 nothing happens. Strangely, changing the camera angle with square R2 works. I reset all character combat strategies and formations in case I messed up something there, but no use either. I went into the game options and reset everything and I closed the game and started it again, but I am still stuck with the zoomed out camera and being unable to change anything but camera angle. Is this a bug? I'm already thinking of starting the game entirely anew. :(
Edit:
It's even weirder now, it only applies to Yuri, with every other character the combat camera works normal.
Edit2:
Here's a pic of how far the camera is zoomed out with Yuri, even though I stand right next to the targeted enemy:

46059581184_6e5855355e_o.png

Last edited:

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda glad that newer Tales games don't have the segments where you're by yourself and have to go track down all the team members 1-on-1 to have a conversation with them before the story advances. I didn't mind it back in the day but it seems unnecessary now.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Ah, I need help! :( I somehow messed the combat camera all up and there seems no way to reset it back to normal, or I'm too dumb to.
It happened when I was trying a few things out with character combat strategies, formation and camera settings during combat, as a result the camera is now zoomed out far each battle and if I try to zoom back in with with square L2 or reset the camera with square L3 nothing happens. Strangely, changing the camera angle with square R2 works. I reset all character combat strategies and formations in case I messed up something there, but no use either. I went into the game options and reset everything and I closed the game and started it again, but I am still stuck with the zoomed out camera and being unable to change anything but camera angle. Is this a bug? I'm already thinking of starting the game entirely anew. :(
Edit:
It's even weirder now, it only applies to Yuri, with every other character the combat camera works normal.
Edit2:
Here's a pic of how far the camera is zoomed out with Yuri, even though I stand right next to the targeted enemy:

46059581184_6e5855355e_o.png
Try opening the battle menu then pressing start

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Despite my lavish praise for Vesperia's OST earlier, yeah, the standard battle themes are just standard Sakuraba fare. (You'd think a track called "Furnace of War" would be more...imposing? Oh well.)

I rather like the boss themes, though -- The Wise One and the standard boss theme come to mind.

(Also, what is with them reusing that Giganto Monster theme? lol)

I love the boss theme, though i don't remember it being looped so strangely in the original version.

Anyway I just finished Keiv Moc, and I can't quite tell if Raven's original VA returned. He sounds a little rusty if he did (in the scenes with Don as you're leaving).

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love the boss theme, though i don't remember it being looped so strangely in the original version.

Anyway I just finished Keiv Moc, and I can't quite tell if Raven's original VA returned. He sounds a little rusty if he did (in the scenes with Don as you're leaving).

He did. I think everyone seems to have gotten back in the roles pretty well even if you can sometimes hear octave differences.

Judith didn't come back which is the only other big one from what I can tell. I'm pretty sure Repede is also different since his growls and stuff are totally different in new scenes/skits, but idk who "voiced" him before, lol.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Any word if there is another patch in the works to fix the crashing issues? I'm interested in picking this up on Switch, but there's nothing I hate more than when a game crashes, and I figured I'd wait until a patch or two come out.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
He did. I think everyone seems to have gotten back in the roles pretty well even if you can sometimes hear octave differences.

Judith didn't come back which is the only other big one from what I can tell. I'm pretty sure Repede is also different since his growls and stuff are totally different in new scenes/skits, but idk who "voiced" him before, lol.
I think they've always used Repede's Japanese VA in the games, even with the new lines.