• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Karol on my nerves right now. Complaining about taking a break. He is okay one second and annoying the next.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember how grindy the original game is, but with the free DLC you can snag there is no grind worries.

need money, open a 300k pack (up to 900k)
underleveled add 5 or 10 levels use a pack (up to 40 of them)
still to weak, open the syth packs and make some later game weapons and armor :P

aka thanks to the DLC it's fairly flexible how grindy you want it to be. Since we've played it all the way through before we have no issues snagging the money packs instead of grinding for money lol.

and since we dislike the solo battles we made their strong weapons and armor just to equip for those battles so we don't have to deal with them lol.

Damn, so the DLC is boosters?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, so the DLC is boosters?
The DLC is a ton of stuff.
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition Costume Pack gets you
A set of outfits, titles and attachment parts for all playable characters in the game!

- Customize Pack: Estelle
- Customize Pack: Flynn
- Customize Pack: Judith
- Customize Pack: Karol
- Customize Pack: Patty
- Customize Pack: Raven
- Customize Pack: Repede
- Customize Pack: Rita
- Customize Pack: Yuri

*The items can be acquired in the base game, too.
*Some of the attachment parts can be shared with other characters.
*After installment, the items are added to "Extra Items" within the item menu in the game.

and Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition Adventurer Starter Pack gets you
Set of items for adventurers containing the following enhancement goods:

- Gel Set
- Pack o' Useful Stuff
- Battle Support Item Pack
- Camping Kit
- Recipe Set: Parameter Boost
- Recipe Set: HP Recovery
- Recipe Set: TP Recovery
- Synthesis Kit: Lv. 1
- Synthesis Kit: Lv. 2
- Synthesis Kit: Lv. 3
- 300,000 Gald (1)
- 300,000 Gald (2)
- 300,000 Gald (3)
- Level +5 (1)
- Level +5 (2)
- Level +5 (3)
- Level +5 (4)
- Level +10 (1)
- Level +10 (2)

*After installment, the items are added to "Extra Items" within the item menu in the game.

since they are in the extra items menu you can use them as you see fit. If you don't want to us any of them you don't have to, but if you snag the DLC on the ps4 you will have them in general (on steam you can force DLC off not sure if you can for this DLC on the ps4 since there isn't a download for them)

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I'm about thirty hours into the game but I have to ask this question: is this game's story a giant metaphor for

Global Warming? All this talk about how blastia is polluting the planet with its aer and how it will ultimately kill the planet. But humans can't stop the pollution of aer because blastia is used in their daily life, such as utilities, travel, survival, and war. And how blastia come from these ancient beings which make it sound like oil and other fossil fuels...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm about thirty hours into the game but I have to ask this question: is this game's story a giant metaphor for

Global Warming? All this talk about how blastia is polluting the planet with its aer and how it will ultimately kill the planet. But humans can't stop the pollution of aer because blastia is used in their daily life, such as utilities, travel, survival, and war. And how blastia come from these ancient beings which make it sound like oil and other fossil fuels...

Yep, but the realmain theme of the story, the one people forget, is in actuality:

learning to respect other people's viewpoints, not taking matters into your own hand, and building a better future by working together.

I could write a dissertation on why Act 3 is well written and how the story comes to a natural and satisfying conclusion but maybe this isn't the best time for it when the game's only been out for a week.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With this being my 4th playthrough, now that I've got Flynn in my party permanently I'm using him instead of Yuri this time (just to add variety). I'm liking his play-style so far!

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a problem with setting up a main party because there are so many good party members. I even benched yuri and went with flynn, judith, estelle and rita

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finished my first playthrough of the Definitive Version and will start the Grade Farming tomorrow before i start the basically 100% Run.

I simply love the cast.

I loved the cast back then and love them kinda even more today - Its a really well balanced group that works well with each other.
All of them have their place and get really well developed when it comes to a J-RPG with a cast of 9 people and no one really gets sidelined after their moment of glory is over like in most games.

Yuri isn't a wimp like most Main Characters in all the games.
For the party he is this loyal and supporting character but at the same time the Dark Enforcer that finishes things that others don't want to finish.
His growth as a Character is believable when it comes to trusting his friends more over the course of the game while staying true to his core principals that he won't hesitate to get his hands dirty.

Even Characters like Karol,Patty or Estelle that are usually the most annoying ones you start to like because you can see how much they struggle and grow through the experiences they make.
The bravery Karol needs to find when the group needs him after especially Yuri supported him since the beginning as a brotherly figure is well done.
Estelle instead of being there as the usual 0815 Love Interest actually gets treated as someone that wants to learn and experience adventures.

Well time for Tidal Wave-blahblahblah

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a problem with setting up a main party because there are so many good party members. I even benched yuri and went with flynn, judith, estelle and rita

Vesperia runs the fine line where every character is unique and contributes to the party, while simultaneously all being viable and fun to play. It's a lesson the newer games need to learn.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vesperia runs the fine line where every character is unique and contributes to the party, while simultaneously all being viable and fun to play. It's a lesson the newer games need to learn.
This 100x.

Bamco did such an excellent job on this game. It is such a shame that troy baker isnt back as yuri. The new guy simply sucks. It is my only negative.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DLC is a ton of stuff.
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition Costume Pack gets you
A set of outfits, titles and attachment parts for all playable characters in the game!

- Customize Pack: Estelle
- Customize Pack: Flynn
- Customize Pack: Judith
- Customize Pack: Karol
- Customize Pack: Patty
- Customize Pack: Raven
- Customize Pack: Repede
- Customize Pack: Rita
- Customize Pack: Yuri

*The items can be acquired in the base game, too.
*Some of the attachment parts can be shared with other characters.

and Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition Adventurer Starter Pack gets you
Set of items for adventurers containing the following enhancement goods:

- Gel Set
- Pack o' Useful Stuff
- Battle Support Item Pack
- Camping Kit
- Recipe Set: Parameter Boost
- Recipe Set: HP Recovery
- Recipe Set: TP Recovery
- Synthesis Kit: Lv. 1
- Synthesis Kit: Lv. 2
- Synthesis Kit: Lv. 3
- 300,000 Gald (1)
- 300,000 Gald (2)
- 300,000 Gald (3)
- Level +5 (1)
- Level +5 (2)
- Level +5 (3)
- Level +5 (4)
- Level +10 (1)
- Level +10 (2)

since they are in the extra items menu you can use them as you see fit. If you don't want to us any of them you don't have to, but if you snag the DLC on the ps4 you will have them in general (on steam you can force DLC off not sure if you can for this DLC on the ps4 since there isn't a download for them)
Thanks for the info

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
I'm glad many people enjoying this game. I still haven't played yet, but I enjoyed the original in Xbox 360. One of my favorite RPG.

I could write a dissertation on why Act 3 is well written and how the story comes to a natural and satisfying conclusion but maybe this isn't the best time for it when the game's only been out for a week.
I really want to read it someday. Although I didn't like the last part of the game. Maybe if I play it again I could appreciate it better.

May 16, 2018
I played this game for the first time like ten years ago. I am so excited to jump back in. Are the changes between this and 360 version significant? How much story content do Patty and Flynn add?

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was my first Tales game and it beat my ass so badly back on the 360. Having an easier time with a few Tales games under my belt now though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played this game for the first time like ten years ago. I am so excited to jump back in. Are the changes between this and 360 version significant? How much story content do Patty and Flynn add?

New dungeons, boss fights, Patty and Flynn are playable, and new Mystic Artes for all the characters.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so i spent 20 hours on the game now. I play about 3 hours a day at night. Impressions:

-magic atmosphere and visuals that still holds up. Some poor textures though.
-music is ok, definitely better than dq11 that i recently played. Not sakarubas best work but it is solid.
-battle system and the variation of party members are some of the best in the series. The addition of flynn and patty is fantastic. Flynn is op.

- dungeon areas are better then recent tales games. The fixed camera angles help.
-story is servicable and easy to follow.
-equipment system is clean with FF9 skill system.
-new VO for Yuri sucks. Sounds like he mumbles.
-magic artes are op
-thank god for a real world map
-most fun jrpg i played in years. Dq11 is more polished but this is more enjoyable to play. I just cant fanthom how this is only hovering around 83% at metacritic. Why?

-
-

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This game gives me anxiety because I can never decide what group to use, I'm constantly fucking changing it lol.

I'm almost relieved every time people leave my party for awhile.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i cleared the first area of the new ex dungeon and i really dislike it. how long is it exactly?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, but the realmain theme of the story, the one people forget, is in actuality:

learning to respect other people's viewpoints, not taking matters into your own hand, and building a better future by working together.

I'd be interested in that dissertation. A lot of people hate on act 3, so I'd like to hear a more positive take. I don't really remember it myself yet, still haven't gotten there yet in this playthrough.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm still really early in the game and so far I'm loving it but there are just a feeeewww nit-picky things that I keep on wishing were there from Symphonia. Small things like how when cooking peoples personalities were reflected through the effects, or how titles influenced some of your stats. In the end it hasn't detracted from my experience though and it's easily one of my favorite Tales games.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Vesperia's cast is fking Brilliant. I love how there's no shitty forced romances and how Yuri and Estelle have more like an older brother younger sister relationship.
I don't know if I agree with that. I think Yuri and Estelle are meant to be romantic.

It is subtle (Yuri doesn't express his feelings clearly), but there are quite a lot of times in the game when Yuri's reactions seem to come from jealousy for Estelle's (perceived) relationship with Flynn mixed with his own inferiority complex to Flynn. Like his reaction when they first come across Flynn and she hugs him, I read that as him trying to suppress jealousy, not really the reaction of a brother figure. The game likes to set up situations where Estelle is supposed to choose between Yuri and Flynn, and I think there is supposed to be romantic tension there.

It's never very overt, but I think that's just the kind of style in that era of JRPGs, where romance is rarely made explicit.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's easily my 2nd favorite Tales of cast ever, just slightly behind Berseria.

20BA0CE7DCEBFB97482B7121541227EA15CADA63

While the base characterization is great, Yuri didn't really develop at all from start until now (I'm at the middle of Act 3). He's simply cool and bad ass the entire game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's easily my 2nd favorite Tales of cast ever, just slightly behind Berseria.

20BA0CE7DCEBFB97482B7121541227EA15CADA63

While the base characterization is great, Yuri didn't really develop at all from start until now (I'm at the middle of Act 3). He's simply cool and bad ass the entire game.

Yuri becomes a murderer over the course of his adventure, gradually becoming more unhinged until the point where he's willing to execute his friends for crossing him before eventually getting pulled back from the brink and realizing he can't shoulder the world's burdens, and more to the point isn't capable of doing so.

It's subtle, which is rare for Tales, but it's there.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In most RPG's I equip the most powerful weapon I have at the time but in this one I'm constantly just equipping new stuff to learn new skills, regardless of how strong the gear is. Getting and synthesizing gear throughout the game is one thing I think they did really well in this one. Even searching for monsters to get specific drops to synth end-game gear is fun in this one.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
First time in the franchise but what the fuck is this battle system right now. I'm assuming you get used to it and I just suck at the minute but holy shit am I having a shit time with this game so far.

Just on the fight with the pink haired dude at the start (like, third fight in?) and had to pause it to come type this because of just how shit it is. I am paused and mid-tilt. Used three healing items to stay alive and now he's in his 'weird anime state' and just throwing me around while I get healed. Getting just tossed by his special attack on repeat, barely get a hit in and then he does it again, so I'm just getting thrown around and healed. On repeat. It really, really fucking sucks to play.

I can use the normal three-hit-combo attack and I can use that wind slash, but only the latter after the former if I'm not holding any directional input whatsoever otherwise haha fuck you no attack. Doesn't seem to be anything else to do other than block - for which the delay between it and attacking means he gets in another three or four attacks anyway.

Like whew I understand I'm new to the battle system and I suck but Jesus christ this is literally the worst first impression (and time) I've had with a game since Evolve.

Any tips/advice (even if all I'm missing is git gud) would be great as would much rather be enjoying the game. As I've tried to express in tandem with the frustration above, I get it's on me I'm just looking for a way it can click.

-------

Edit: Worth mentioning that I bought this thinking it was a turn based battle system (lol) so going in with that in my head to having this pink edgy hedgehog throwing me around everywhere probably doesn't help the frustration lol.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
First time in the franchise but what the fuck is this battle system right now. I'm assuming you get used to it and I just suck at the minute but holy shit am I having a shit time with this game so far.

Just on the fight with the pink haired dude at the start (like, third fight in?) and had to pause it to come type this because of just how shit it is. I am paused and mid-tilt. Used three healing items to stay alive and now he's in his 'weird anime state' and just throwing me around while I get healed. Getting just tossed by his special attack on repeat, barely get a hit in and then he does it again, so I'm just getting thrown around and healed. On repeat. It really, really fucking sucks to play.

I can use the normal three-hit-combo attack and I can use that wind slash, but only the latter after the former if I'm not holding any directional input whatsoever otherwise haha fuck you no attack. Doesn't seem to be anything else to do other than block - for which the delay between it and attacking means he gets in another three or four attacks anyway.

Like whew I understand I'm new to the battle system and I suck but Jesus christ this is literally the worst first impression (and time) I've had with a game since Evolve.

Any tips/advice (even if all I'm missing is git gud) would be great as would much rather be enjoying the game. As I've tried to express in tandem with the frustration above, I get it's on me I'm just looking for a way it can click.

Some of what you're running into is due to the battle system not having revealed very basic things to you just yet. For example: the reason why you can only follow up with Azure Edge when you don't move the left stick is because later on, you can assign additional artes to each stick direction, so you can perform one of five different artes depending on what direction you move the stick (or not at all) while pressing A/Cross. The game wants you to care about that directional input, and while there is a workaround to your specific situation, it is akin to tying one hand behind your back for the rest of the game.

That said, yeah, Zagi is weirdly difficult. He can juggle you if you're not careful, and then you're basically screwed. The game seems to be trying to teach you about when to block here, and it kinda sorta seems like it's also trying to teach you about breaking your opponent's block (but to be honest I think this lesson is somewhat lost on me). It does also expose what I think is widely acknowledged as a weakness of the Vesperia combat system, which is that it feels kind of sluggish (especially combo inputs) compared to later Tales games.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Some of what you're running into is due to the battle system not having revealed very basic things to you just yet. For example: the reason why you can only follow up with Azure Edge when you don't move the left stick is because later on, you can assign additional artes to each stick direction, so you can perform one of five different artes depending on what direction you move the stick (or not at all) while pressing A/Cross. The game wants you to care about that directional input, and while there is a workaround to your specific situation, it is akin to tying one hand behind your back for the rest of the game.

That said, yeah, Zagi is weirdly difficult. He can juggle you if you're not careful, and then you're basically screwed. The game seems to be trying to teach you about when to block here, and it kinda sorta seems like it's also trying to teach you about breaking your opponent's block (but to be honest I think this lesson is somewhat lost on me). It does also expose what I think is widely acknowledged as a weakness of the Vesperia combat system, which is that it feels kind of sluggish (especially combo inputs) compared to later Tales games.
Thank you for this response, really appreciate it. That missing knowledge on directional artes makes sense and I went into the menu and saw the config for the skills. Assigned it to the directions for now and that's felt better immediately. I'll replace them with different skills as I get them.

Blocking is something I feel I'm doing wrong, and again I may have missed something. Is it just holding down the button to do the stance and then taking the reduced damage, before attacking where there's an opening, or is it more complex? With how the battling is I'd expect a parry or timed break on their combo to be a thing - is it? Trying to work out how best to use it in a fight as the sluggish nature you mentioned is making it hard to get right. I feel like I block a flurry of attacks but by the time I've stopped guarding and attacked they're already starting another. This isn't all the time but enough where blocking feels poor still. Serious chance I've missed something in the tutorial fights so apologies if I have, did them at 2am last night.

I'm now just running around the castle for a bit farming guards to get some experience (literal) in fighting and it's already feeling better so thanks for the advice. Really liking every other part of the game (bar how blurry it is on handheld) so keen for battling to click.

Another quick question too if I may: does saving get any more liberal as time goes on? Saw there's a greyed out save option in the menu so been using the standard FF-style save points so far.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this response, really appreciate it. That missing knowledge on directional artes makes sense and I went into the menu and saw the config for the skills. Assigned it to the directions for now and that's felt better immediately. I'll replace them with different skills as I get them.

Blocking is something I feel I'm doing wrong, and again I may have missed something. Is it just holding down the button to do the stance and then taking the reduced damage, before attacking where there's an opening, or is it more complex? With how the battling is I'd expect a parry or timed break on their combo to be a thing - is it? Trying to work out how best to use it in a fight as the sluggish nature you mentioned is making it hard to get right. I feel like I block a flurry of attacks but by the time I've stopped guarding and attacked they're already starting another. This isn't all the time but enough where blocking feels poor still. Serious chance I've missed something in the tutorial fights so apologies if I have, did them at 2am last night.

I'm now just running around the castle for a bit farming guards to get some experience (literal) in fighting and it's already feeling better so thanks for the advice. Really liking every other part of the game (bar how blurry it is on handheld) so keen for battling to click.

Another quick question too if I may: does saving get any more liberal as time goes on? Saw there's a greyed out save option in the menu so been using the standard FF-style save points so far.

Caveat: I am not the best person to talk about the combat system in depth, really I'm just a scrub that's played a bunch of Tales games, not anyone who's actually good at them.

I don't think there's a perfect-parry system in Vesperia (as in, parrying or blocking at the right time giving you a bonus of some sort). There is a trick I learned in this thread that helps, though. Normally, after the three-hit combo (followed by the optional arte attack), there's an animated flourish that leaves you open to counter-attack. You can cancel this, though, by hitting the free-run button and the block button while moving the left stick in the direction of your opponent. This allows you to put up a guard after a combo much, much faster than if you just let the combo complete normally. It took me some time to figure out the timing, and I still can't do it reliably if the battlefield starts to get complex (i.e. enemies attacking me from multiple angles), but if done right you're better able to protect yourself from counterattack.

Otherwise, really what you're trying to do is read the opponent's attacks and learning when it's safe to attack and when you want to block. I sometimes wonder if the combat is slower, with more vulnerable frames and such, specifically to promote paying attention to your opponent's attacks and to get you to think about your inputs.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, repede the dog, everything about his design and actions leads you to think he is a talking dog, but he doesn't, I thought this was the case for years and it was only recently that I found out he doesn't talk, don't even remember how I found out.
Unless ofcourse halfway through this game he suddenly starts blurting out words

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
So, repede the dog, everything about his design and actions leads you to think he is a talking dog, but he doesn't, I thought this was the case for years and it was only recently that I found out he doesn't talk, don't even remember how I found out.
Unless ofcourse halfway through this game he suddenly starts blurting out words
Yeah he never talks but you can read actual words from him in one of the sidequest where he meet an old rival of his so there's that, haha.
Anyway more good progress tonight, finished Act 1 and,
I didn't expect to be able to try Flynn so soon, it was fun! I'm sure he'll be OP considering he seem to be very close to Yuri in attack power, while also using a shield for his p.def like Estelle.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here able to get Kal's fixes for PC working with DSR?

As soon as I try to use DSR with it, the game only renders 1/4 of the screen.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Call me a wuss, but I feel like the
Gattuso
difficulty spike relatively early in the game is unreasonable. To the extent that it's bad design to put that boss in a dungeon which you actually can't even leave to prepare better.

We did it on the third try, but it was incomparably harder than anything in the hours before or since.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gattuso
difficulty spike relatively early in the game is unreasonable. To the extent that it's bad design to put that boss in a dungeon which you actually can't even leave to prepare better.

We did it on the third try, but it was incomparably harder than anything in the hours before or since.
The game is going to be much easier from here though. Gattuso is weak to fire. Set rita to spam fireballs and use destruction field on yuri.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Gattuso

I thought you could leave the place? At least I could.