• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have never played a Tales game and ONLY just found out this exists on Switch. Reviews give it high praise.

As a massive JRPG fan, should I try it?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I have never played a Tales game and ONLY just found out this exists on Switch. Reviews give it high praise.

May as well. This is my second foray into the Tales games. First time, years ago, I got about 3/4 through Abyss, but never got a handle on the combat and eventually dropped it. Vesperia's is clicking for me, though.

Do you like action-based combat at all? Even if you don't, there's an Easy Mode and cheat DLC so you could experience the story.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Just watched the scene with
Yuri watching Cumore dying (?) in Mantaic. Shit got serious. :O
Another thing: are the rewards for the secret missions worth something? Because I spent 16 minutes to get the eleventh one (the desert boss).

The secret mission for the desert boss are pretty annoying as my party was well equipped and slightly overlevel... that I killed it before getting the secret mission.

Ended up reloading my saves and set Quarter Damage skill for my other party members and use Yuri's Severing Fang to destroy the core.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017

I would say go for it. If you're a massive fan of the genre it makes sense to try at least one game in each major series, right? And if you were only ever going to play one Tales game, Vesperia is definitely a great choice.

Though I guess it depends on what has turned you off from the series before. Tales games have been criticized for being generic, maybe. But they really nail the feeling of going on a great adventure with a group of fun and colorful characters, which is one of my personal favorite things about JRPGs.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the scene with
Yuri watching Cumore dying (?) in Mantaic. Shit got serious. :O
Another thing: are the rewards for the secret missions worth something? Because I spent 16 minutes to get the eleventh one (the desert boss).
You get a trophy and I believe an outfit for completing them. However, it mostly just gives you increased rewards for that battle. You can go back and do all of them later when you're better equipped to do them, such as the
boat fight with Zagi and knocking him overboard using Overlimit

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, what is the penalty for playing on Easy battle? Do I get less EXP and Grade or something?

I'm like half way through the game and these battles are already turning into sponge fights, with every damn monster having 20k health and there are 6 of them. It's getting tiring.

Also not feeling the story at all. Every time the game goes to explain something theirs an OMG BIG NOISE SURPRISE and the person doesn't have time to explain what just happened. This had led to the last like 14 plot points going left unexplained. It's almost comical at this point, like seriously EVERY fucking time someone is about to tell you the smallest explanation it happens. It's bad writing. Plain and simple.

The characters and visuals are great though. Just not sure this is going to hold my attention once Anthem comes out...I might have to rush through the rest.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
*Patty left the party for the 10th time*

Like damn either permanently join or gtfo forever and take your helium tank with you.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Ran into Don Whitehorse -- not crazy about the new voice, but at least it's not a Leblanc trashfire.

Also, man, some of these boss fights are way tougher than I remember them being. Gattsuo was one thing, but throwing those two knights right after a boss fight with no save point? Brutal.

Man, what is the penalty for playing on Easy battle? Do I get less EXP and Grade or something?

I'm like half way through the game and these battles are already turning into sponge fights, with every damn monster having 20k health and there are 6 of them. It's getting tiring.

Also not feeling the story at all. Every time the game goes to explain something theirs an OMG BIG NOISE SURPRISE and the person doesn't have time to explain what just happened. This had led to the last like 14 plot points going left unexplained. It's almost comical at this point, like seriously EVERY fucking time someone is about to tell you the smallest explanation it happens. It's bad writing. Plain and simple.

The characters and visuals are great though. Just not sure this is going to hold my attention once Anthem comes out...I might have to rush through the rest.

Despite the risks Vesperia takes, the story's ultimately an aimless wild goose chase. Easily the most frustrating thing about it -- I'd have no qualms calling it the finest Tales game if not for that.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017

Ran into Don Whitehorse -- not crazy about the new voice, but at least it's not a Leblanc trashfire.

Also, man, some of these boss fights are way tougher than I remember them being. Gattsuo was one thing, but throwing those two knights right after a boss fight with no save point? Brutal.

Despite the risks Vesperia takes, the story's ultimately an aimless wild goose chase. Easily the most frustrating thing about it -- I'd have no qualms calling it the finest Tales game if not for that.

Someone compiled this chart of all of the writers for the series back before Zestiria came out, and it mentions that Vesperia had multiple writers going about it the way an anime would be written, which kind of explains why the story feels so disjointed at times.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder who wrote Berseria...I think that was my favorite story in the series since like Abyss. I'm 5-6 hours into this though and enjoying it so far.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I'm about 11 hours in, which is where I dropped Abyss, and wow, it's like night and day. I'm actually enjoying the combat instead of just tolerating it, the characters have so much more chemistry and positivity with each other, and overall I'm just having a way better time with it.

I'm not sure if it'll reach the heights that Symphonia did for me, but I'm so glad I gave this game a chance after hating Abyss.

I could see being annoyed with the story, since at least so far it does seem like it's a series of running from weird explosion/crisis to weird explosion/crisis and the characters just kind of roll with it. And the music is really not my favorite, it seems to alternate between grating and aggressively generic.

Overall really liking it though.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having issues using Artes set to the right analog stick? It's so finnicky. I'll clearly input one direction and it will register another.
I'm not having any issues with the right stick (on the ps4) but boy can I not get the left stick up to work but like 5% of the time.
Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump POW HAMMER Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump POW HAMMER Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump (yes I have pow hammer as my up left :P)

to be fair I haven't had great luck with action canceling either. I can get my character to top the delay window after attacks but I get stuck in my guard instead. I mean it's better, but I can't for the life of me cancel out and attack in a reasonable time lol.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Omg I completely forgot about Regaey existing.

And yeah the right stick on Pro is finicky af, I've used many unwanted moves.

WallSniper

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Any tips on making the combat more enjoyable? It feels like every encounter against more enemies than players is bogged down. Like Yuri's swing is a little slow and not sweeping enough to get much distance. I end up spamming the ranged arte a decent big but I don't think that's likely how it's meant to be played.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
Any tips on making the combat more enjoyable? It feels like every encounter against more enemies than players is bogged down. Like Yuri's swing is a little slow and not sweeping enough to get much distance. I end up spamming the ranged arte a decent big but I don't think that's likely how it's meant to be played.
I'm a bit over halfway through I think, and there's not a whole on the user's end fundamentally aside from attack cancels. The rest seems to be QoL stuff learned through Skills or just better Artes. Agility also seems to effect attack speed (?), so Agility food could help too. A skill that really helps in the fights you're talking about is Super Armor during Base Artes. I don't recall the name.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
God dammit. I lost like an hour of progress tonight when a skit hardlocked the Switch. I was like two feet away from a save, too. Ugh. It wasn't anything difficult that I lost, but it's frustrating.

Fix your shit, Bamco.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How/when do you get the second mystic arte for people?

Copied from GameFAQs

Estelle's Ultimate Elements: You will be able to activate it
once you have all the spirits as in Efreet, Undine and so on
. Also you have to do each of Estelle's burst artes 20x each. Then activate OVL 4 and hold O+X and you shall activate although for me I usually press O+X+[_](closest thing to square).

Raven's Crisis Rain: you need to have both style changes equipped and then use kaze no takeri(Wind's Howl), Shion no hebi(violent snake), tsumi to batsu:tsumi(crime), chiruyouni(falling) 100x each and then OVL 4 and do the same thing with the buttons.

Repede's Lightning Moment: You need to have used (Mueirouga)ghost wolf, (Gen'ei Saiga )phantom fang, and (Gen'ei Hyouga)phantom glacier 100x each. Another requirement is to have repede with 800 or more on his agility and then you will be able to perform it.

Karol's Gousen-bakusatu Ultra X bomber: There are sub events you are suppose to do prior so that you can upgrade the lil robot. Once you have done that use Shinrabanshou Bag(gaia bag) 200x and then same as before.

Rita's Indignation: Requires well two things. Thunder blade to be used 200x and then unlock 200 man melee and once on OVL4 hold the button that you have thunder blade on a certain someone who goes "Nani, sore wo...sonna, sonna bakana" which I know most tales know this line lol

Flynn's Enha Houyokushou: you need to use gurenken(200x) and gou gurenken(100x). If you do not have gou gurenken on your list this is how you get it. Have hell fire and crucible activated and use gurenken 100x to get gou gurenken. Once in OVL 4 use either gurenken or gou gurenken but it is a lot easier to do gou gurenken and then hold the buttons to activate the 2nd hi ougi.

Yuri/Flynn Bushin Soutenha: You can only do this once you have completed the game along with yuri's tenshou kouyouken but anyway...You have to have yuri use azure edge/souhajin(200x) and guardian field/shugohoujin(200x) for Flynn it is the same with guardian field but instead of azure edge use majinken/demon fang 200x. Also when you defeat the boss you have to go back to see Ted back at the hometown to get their titles and that is how you will be able to do it. Oh almost forgot both of them have to be in OVL 4 so if you need to do so have either limit octet, let patty use critical and hopefully you get OVL 4 for everyone and theres many other ways but ya get the idea.

Judith's Haou Rogetsusou: you have to use gekkou/moon beam and gessenkou/moon glare 100x each then OVL 4 and you know the buttons to press afterwards

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
xMEFvL0.png

Loved every second of it.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
It's like they had "kids done righ" with Karol and said, wait, we need an obnoxious anime little girl for the upgraded edition !

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus. And here I was lookin for a skill called "Special 2" or something.

I should've known better, lol.

Be glad that there even is the skill Special 1. :P Most past entries had their Mystic Artes hidden with crazy requirements. The Special 2 requirements are not that bad in comparison. :)

For example in Phantasia:

When Tales of Phantasia was released on the PlayStation, it received a complete overhaul of its battle system, with new movesets and animations, among other extras. Included with these extras is the first mystic arte of the series, Meikuu Zanshouken. This is intended to be a "last resort" type of attack, usable only if Cress Albane's HP is at critical levels, and if he equips the title "Master of Secrets" in the Game Boy Advance version. Cress can perform this arte if the player presses DOWN+A+B+L+R on the Game Boy Advance, or X+O+SQUARE on the PlayStation and PlayStation Portable versions.

Or Tales of Eternia:

For example, to use Reid's Dragon Demon Chaos requires the following from the player:

• Omega Demon Chaos used [160 - ((total number of basic hits and skills that are chained together before starting this extension) x 30)] times or more.
  • the targeted enemy must have a total of [2000 + (total number of times Omega Demon Chaos has been used)] HP or less
  • press the "Attack" button during Omega Demon Chaos's final slash before landing on the ground.

Symphonia only had 3 Mystic Artes at first, but got more with the PS2 release

When the original GameCube version of Tales of Symphonia was released, it featured mystic artes for only three characters, Lloyd Irving, Genis Sage, and Colette Brunel, referring to the attacks as Hidden Lv. 3 Special Skills in the localized game. Sheena Fujibayashi's summons, excluding Summon: Corrine, functioned in a similar way. The ported version for the PlayStation 2 features mystic artes for all playable characters, in addition to certain enemies.

Much like Tales of Eternia, this game features several different methods to activate the Hidden Lv. 3 Special Skills. These range from casting a specific spell while Over Limit status is active, which is rare in itself due to the mechanics of the Over Limit system in this game, to activating a certain attack while a passive EX Skill is in effect. The mystic arte Crimson Devastation is especially notorious for its extreme restrictions, which include having Presea Combatir remain as the last party member who is not knocked out during battle. Enemies will also use their own Hidden Special Skills as their HP depletes, although Abyssion will always open a battle with Divine Judgment in the PlayStation 2 version.

Also protip: let Yuri learn the Hit+ (I think it's called like that) skill which let's you hammer the attack button when you use his Mystic Arte 1 and demolish the enemy with additional hits (I fucking love that move).

Last edited:

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Crashed again for a 3rd time lol
Had a skill on Karol that made him extremely hard to stagger but he moved like a snail, and immediately crashed several steps into the battle.
Luckily I saved like a few minutes before hand, but I get the lesson switch, I'm not going to fucking use him again aside from the colliseum.
Reminder for y'all to save every chance y'all get

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Was really jaring to run across a random towns person who started making fun of Rita for being flat chested. Was kind of gross and tonally different than anything else in the game up to that point.

WallSniper

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm a bit over halfway through I think, and there's not a whole on the user's end fundamentally aside from attack cancels. The rest seems to be QoL stuff learned through Skills or just better Artes. Agility also seems to effect attack speed (?), so Agility food could help too. A skill that really helps in the fights you're talking about is Super Armor during Base Artes. I don't recall the name.
Thanks for the reply. I'm about 12 hours in and I'm trudging along. I'm liking the story and characters a lot, but I feel like a scrub in combat, even fights I win soundly don't feel like my ability as a player contributed much. Over limit feels a bit better but I've been using it sparingly - should I use it more often? I've mostly saved for boss fights

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was really jaring to run across a random towns person who started making fun of Rita for being flat chested. Was kind of gross and tonally different than anything else in the game up to that point.

Yeah, it's unfortunately something that comes up occasionally. For example, one of the win quotes when you have Estelle and Judith in the party together goes something like this:

Estelle: They're... bouncing.
Judith: What are you staring at?
Estelle: I wish I could bounce.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Be glad that there even is the skill Special 1. :P Most past entries had their Mystic Artes hidden with crazy requirements. The Special 2 requirements are not that bad in comparison. :)

For example in Phantasia:

Or Tales of Eternia:

Symphonia only had 3 Mystic Artes at first, but got more with the PS2 release

Also protip: let Yuri learn the Hit+ (I think it's called like that) skill which let's you hammer the attack button when you use his Mystic Arte 1 and demolish the enemy with additional hits (I fucking love that move).

Oh yeah, I love the extra hits. Also whatever gives the next tier of OVL, so I can use mystic artes with only 2 bars, which means heading into a fight with 4 bars means you can basically do the same thing again right after and nearly have a third one when that's done. I usually end up doing ~4 mystic artes on a boss now.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
wow the new voice lines are terrible where it sounds like he's a very open room 5 feet from the mic are awful and jarring.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Copied from GameFAQs
Not bad, I expected worst. A lot of these techs usage will be easy to get out of the way once I get Risky Ring. Then it's minimum damage + zaphias area time. Maybe Repede's 800 agility will be annoying but I wonder if eating a "Salad" before the fight will help as it gives the whole party 2000 agility for the duration of the fight.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not bad, I expected worst. A lot of these techs usage will be easy to get out of the way once I get Risky Ring. Then it's minimum damage + zaphias area time. Maybe Repede's 800 agility will be annoying but I wonder if eating a "Salad" before the fight will help as it gives the whole party 2000 agility for the duration of the fight.

Vesperia has like the easiest Mystic Arte requirements out of all Tales of I think. :) You can get 800 agility with Repede on a first playthrough.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't remember this being on the original 360 but it's been a while since I played that one but the other night with Judith and Estelle in the party the winning quote was something like;

Estelle: ' Judith they're bouncing'
Estelle: ' I wish mine could bounce like that'

WTF why does Namco think Estelle needs to say this?!?!

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Did I mention how bosses spamming their over limit every 20 seconds is a load of bullshit? Because it's a load of bullshit.

Also, what's with some bosses in this game having some sort of super guard that your attacks just bounce off of and every single guide omitting this detail? I remember two bosses from earlier in act 1 having this sort of thing and now I'm fighting one near the end of the game, and I just got curious and looked up how to deal with it, but I looked through 8 different guides, only one of them even mentioned it and all it really said was "he does have a shield though."

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Okay how do I use the second set of artes? I made the item for it and I can change the page and assign artes. I assigned ghost wolf to standard L but pressing L doesn't do anything.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Duke is the star of this game. Very interesting character.

Did I mention how bosses spamming their over limit every 20 seconds is a load of bullshit? Because it's a load of bullshit
This has been a thing with most of the tales games.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
People with the physical copies of ToV on PS4 or Switch, was there an update to download? If yes, what's the size?
like 1.3gb on ps4 and 550mb on switch if I recall correctly.
As far as I know there hasn't been a second update on the switch to fix its issues yet but I'm playing on the ps4 so I can't be sure :P

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't remember this being on the original 360 but it's been a while since I played that one but the other night with Judith and Estelle in the party the winning quote was something like;

Estelle: ' Judith they're bouncing'
Estelle: ' I wish mine could bounce like that'

WTF why does Namco think Estelle needs to say this?!?!
eh did you play the previous tales games? In Tales of the Abyss they talked about Tears melons. I think Vesperia is acutally the most toned down of them all.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why I bother going after all the skills when I don't have anywhere near enough points to use them.