• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to get Gattuso knocked down for the secret mission, any advice?

Fight on top of the flowers. Hit them and they'll release a gas that will stun Gattuso (and anyone near them).

If you don't want to be stunned too, you can hit them with a ranged attack like Azure Edge, but Gattuso has to be near them.

If you're having difficulty with Gattuso itself, just have Estelle use only First Aid, Rita only use Fireball, and spam Destruction Field (gotten at level 16) with Yuri.

Oct 25, 2017
When is over limit useful in this. I assume it's tied to mystic arts?

Feels like currently it's just a quick way to burn your tp.

Also another thing I got wrecked a few times was the fight in the harbor when you are yuri solo against 3 dudes.

So easy to get stun locked lol.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
When is over limit useful in this. I assume it's tied to mystic arts?

Feels like currently it's just a quick way to burn your tp.

Also another thing I got wrecked a few times was the fight in the harbor when you are yuri solo against 3 dudes.

So easy to get stun locked lol.

There is a solo fight later that is worse. I felt like maybe I'm just really bad at the game and Yuri should be able to solo a bunch of dudes without getting stunlocked. I've seen other people complain about that too though. Doesn't mean I'm not really bad at the game, but at least I'm not alone!

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Oh, come the fuck on, these difficulty spikes are stupid af.

Fuck Gigalarva, this is just dumb. He heals every tine you get him close to 10k and goes back to 30k. So dumb

Last edited:

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Fell off this with work and Piranha Plant coming to Smash Bros, but I'm excited to dive back in this weekend. I just got to the
ghost ship

The fact that the game never tells you about the fast travel or points out that it exists is insane. It would have made the backtracking I've done so much easier

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he stucks his tail in thr ground and recoups about 30k each time

To get the Secret Mission, interrupt its healing, such as by spamming Raven's ground trap arte. To outdamage the healing, just go into overlimit, shouldn't be difficult.

It can definitely win a fight of attrition if you meander and let your party blow all their TP.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Fell off this with work and Piranha Plant coming to Smash Bros, but I'm excited to dive back in this weekend. I just got to the
ghost ship

The fact that the game never tells you about the fast travel or points out that it exists is insane. It would have made the backtracking I've done so much easier
yeah.... in fact if i had known about the fast travel when I crashed I would have only lost 5 minutes of progress instead of 20 lol.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know there was fast travel, not too handy considering it doesn't take long to travel across the map, but it's nice for those who want it.
Anyway I'm in the very last room before the final boss, backtracked out of the dungeon and aaaaall the way back to the lower quarter to talk to Ted to get arguably the best weapon for Yuri, excluding Last Fencer. (unless there's even stronger with the PS3 contents)

NG+ soon with nearly 80% of the collector book completed.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Can you always fast travel or only during certain points in the game? I feel like that would break things.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game and got the costume for Yuri for completing every secret missions! Also I got SUPER lucky at Poker with the "High and Low" bet increase. Took me a bit over an hour but I managed to buy 2 risky rings (150 000 chips each) the miracle bangle (200 000 chips), the final emblem (100 000 chips) and every single attachments + the holy avenger +1 (even if you can synthesize that one) must've gotten close to 1 mil chips easily.

I forgot how fast it is in this game.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, come the fuck on, these difficulty spikes are stupid af.

Fuck Gigalarva, this is just dumb. He heals every tine you get him close to 10k and goes back to 30k. So dumb
I'm playing in Hard and I'm stuck here too. So I need to use the new character and he has an Art that stops him? How do I know when he's about to heal and when to use that Art?

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing in Hard and I'm stuck here too. So I need to use the new character and he has an Art that stops him? How do I know when he's about to heal and when to use that Art?
When he's about halfway dead he tend to try to heal. He'll stab the ground with its tail to heal you can use the arte at that point on the tail. If you fail just bring him down again to half health and so on.

It's one of the more annoying secret missions, IMO.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
When he's about halfway dead he tend to try to heal. He'll stab the ground with its tail to heal you can use the arte at that point on the tail. If you fail just bring him down again to half health and so on.

OH... How annoying. I'm not sure how this is going to work. I guess I'll just try to level up a bit, even though I'm in the mid to late 20's already. There is a healing save point near by, but TP still runs out really fast.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about the final boss:

I know the final boss has an optional third form, and I was wondering if the requirements to activate the third form are missable.

If I beat the game first by beating the final boss' first two forms, can I then go back and unlock the requirements for the third form? Or do I have fight the final boss the first time with the requirements for the third form already fulfilled?

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I know the final boss has an optional third form, and I was wondering if the requirements to activate the third form are missable.

If I beat the game first by beating the final boss' first two forms, can I then go back and unlock the requirements for the third form? Or do I have fight the final boss the first time with the requirements for the third form already fulfilled?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, cause I'm working off a hazy memory of the 360 version. I BELIEVE you can fight the boss, go back, gather the items you need for the third form, and then go back and fight him again. I'm pretty sure that's what I did.

Again, if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017

Yes you can, although in the PS3 version getting all the fell arms will be more difficult considering Patty and Flynn's weapons are inside the Necropolis of Nostalgia I believe.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I'm not actually trying to do the secret mission, I'm just trying to defeat him period, on Hard mode.

So I need to use the new guy's Art on his tail, when he tries to heal? Okay, I'll try it!

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not actually trying to do the secret mission, I'm just trying to defeat him period, on Hard mode.

So I need to use the new guy's Art on his tail, when he tries to heal? Okay, I'll try it!

Oh yeah. This was brutal for me on hard. I switched to the archer when he was near water so I could lay the mines and it was the only way I won....it also helped that I realized I had quarter and half damage on like an idiot.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Finally ended up beating it at around 80 hours, but this was nowhere close to doing 100%. That honestly sounds daunting considering how many missable things this game has and not really something I'd want to do.

Overall a pretty good game. The only other Tales game I've played before this was the 3DS version of Abyss which I enjoyed, as well. These games are definitely long (I thought the game was going to be over at the end of Act 2) but I also appreciate the length because it really does feel like an adventure constantly engaging with the characters and I actually liked them all with Yuri and Karol being my favorites.

Are there any other major pieces of content I can do after the game is over either in my current save or EX New Game or is it mostly just tedious collecting?

Last edited:

Woylie

May 9, 2018
So several people in this thread have discussed the large amount of missable content in this game. What I was wondering if someone with experience could say (and this is probably subjective) is there any of that missable content that's worth going out of your way to seek out? I've been playing blind so far and I'm just wondering if there's anything I should really look for and avoid missing (15 hours in, Patty just joined for the first time.) Is it all just swimsuit fanservice stuff?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly... nope. And since costumes you can get from the DLC now, the only ones I would advise doing are those that unlock new artes and a weapon (Brionac for Judith).

I suppose the Duke scenes can be interesting for backstory and stuff.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Besides that, I sort of missed out on the handful of "hidden" artes that need to be unlocked through skills, using a certain artes many times or extra scenes on my 360 playthrough.... that will be part of the upcoming updates for my missable checklist guide.

Just cleared Heracles and I forgot that party members that left the group due to the plot will also walk off with their equipped items... The only way to get back the item is until they rejoin the group.

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
I'm just wondering... Is there a reason to play the game on hard? Because in this thread I read pretty often of people playing on hard and regretting the decision.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
I'm just wondering... Is there a reason to play the game on hard? Because in this thread I read pretty often of people playing on hard and regretting the decision.

I did played a bit on Hard but find the higher enemies' HP drag the battle longer for first playthrough.

You do get 1.5x Grade on Hard which is useful when grinding for it especially with Rita's blah blah blah TIdal Wave blah blah blah. Still Grade farming is meant for EX New Game (New Game +) playthrough which you'll spend on various stuff that you can carry over like weapon skills, items, level caps etc.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
However, you won't wake up the Fell Arms if you do this. You need all seven.
All 9 of them precisely!

So several people in this thread have discussed the large amount of missable content in this game. What I was wondering if someone with experience could say (and this is probably subjective) is there any of that missable content that's worth going out of your way to seek out? I've been playing blind so far and I'm just wondering if there's anything I should really look for and avoid missing (15 hours in, Patty just joined for the first time.) Is it all just swimsuit fanservice stuff?
It's mainly a bunch of costumes so, unless you're going for completion you can ignore all of them. As mentionned already there's a good amount of events that gives new artes to characters and in some cases, weapons as well. Those weapons are often the best for said characters, with some exceptions. (and excluding fell arms) I'm not sure how many of these artes/weapons are missable though. (possibly just the Brionac)

Only for personal preference and grades farming. You can change difficulty whenever anyway.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
It's my first time playing Vesperia and the only character I am not really feeling is Estelle, she is so bland. I thought the same with Tear from Abyss and Collete from Symphonia, the Symphonia team in general makes characters that are too safe, in my opinion...

Rest of the cast is good, but I think I vastly prefer the ones from the newer games.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
It's my first time playing Vesperia and the only character I am not really feeling is Estelle, she is so bland. I thought the same with Tear from Abyss and Collete from Symphonia, the Symphonia team in general makes characters that are too safe, in my opinion...

Rest of the cast is good, but I think I vastly prefer the ones from the newer games.
Colette is easily the worst offender at that for sure. I don't know how far you are but Estelle's pretty meh early on personally. She gets better later but I doubt your opinion of her will change.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Eh tales of Zestiria hss even safer and blander cast than vesperia. Sorey is the definition of boring protagonist.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

Any sidequests with learnable artes like Yuri's Tiger Blade is worth going for.
Though you probably already missed the requirements for a lot of them.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Final boss of part 2 will continue to elude me on Hard. Guardian Frost healing spam is just too much. Cheap doesn't begin to describe it. Sigh, on normal he was a pushover too. Oh well.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the Rita + Tidal Wave + Overlimit nethod from the original 360 release still works for farming Grade points in this release?

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I currently own (but have not played) Tales of Berseria, and I'm planning to buy Tales of Vesperia since I've wanted to play it to completion for a while. Does anyone with Tales knowledge have a suggestion for which game it makes more sense to play first?

For reference, I've played Tales of Symphonia 1 and 2 extensively (but didn't actually beat them), played a tiny bit of late-game Abyss via co-op and started Abyss on 3DS, and played a tiny bit of Vesperia co-op as well. I played all of those when they first released. I suppose the picture I'm painting is that I've only played Team Symphonia-era games so far.