• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I can't seem to get Gattuso knocked down for the secret mission, any advice?
Diligence is it's own reward.

I currently own (but have not played) Tales of Berseria, and I'm planning to buy Tales of Vesperia since I've wanted to play it to completion for a while. Does anyone with Tales knowledge have a suggestion for which game it makes more sense to play first?

For reference, I've played Tales of Symphonia 1 and 2 extensively (but didn't actually beat them), played a tiny bit of late-game Abyss via co-op and started Abyss on 3DS, and played a tiny bit of Vesperia co-op as well. I played all of those when they first released. I suppose the picture I'm painting is that I've only played Team Symphonia-era games so far.
Honestly, Vesperia since it's not tied to another game but it really doesn't matter.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I imagine this was present in the PS3 version, but did anyone else notice they changed the music when
Karol returns after the Don's death?

Not a fan: Around the World rendered that moment so heartening, and the ship theme reduces that to "just another scene".

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Around the World is legit great, I feel like I remember hearing it far more in the original version.

The new boss theme when facing the
Yeager
was great!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
One thing I'm down on after beating it was how abrupt it felt, which is a weird thing to say considering how lengthy the game is, but I would have liked some epilogue stuff to go through even if it was chill with no battles.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone playing this on Xbox One X can tel me if the framerate is 60 fps at all times or only during battles like the deva said.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the deal with the difficulty jump here? I'm fighting this wolf boss on normal difficulty at level 15 and I'm getting the shit kicked out of me and I can barely get off 25% of his health. I must be missing a mechanic.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
How do I use overdrive attachment on Repede for the mini game? It's automatically unequipped from him.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
What is the deal with the difficulty jump here? I'm fighting this wolf boss on normal difficulty at level 15 and I'm getting the shit kicked out of me and I can barely get off 25% of his health. I must be missing a mechanic.
That boss is just well known to be a random difficulty spike for some reason. The rest of the game isn't like that.

Some suggestions:
- Defeat the small wolves first
- Use fire attacks, since they are weak to fire. Set Rita to only use fireball, and as Yuri use destruction field a lot.
- Make liberal use of free run to dodge attacks and get yourself in safe positions, especially when the small wolves are still alive. Don't be TOO cautious though. Sometimes cornering them and pummeling them until they are stunned is the best defense.
- FYI, it's possible to cancel the end lag your attacks with forward free run, from there you can guard or do your free run attack. This allows you to guard more quickly at the end your combos.

If all else fails, just set the difficulty to easy for this one fight.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That boss is just well known to be a random difficulty spike for some reason. The rest of the game isn't like that.

Some suggestions:
- Defeat the small wolves first
- Use fire attacks, since they are weak to fire. Set Rita to only use fireball, and as Yuri use destruction field a lot.
- Make liberal use of free run to dodge attacks and get yourself in safe positions, especially when the small wolves are still alive. Don't be TOO cautious though. Sometimes cornering them and pummeling them until they are stunned is the best defense.
- FYI, it's possible to cancel the end lag your attacks with forward free run, from there you can guard or do your free run attack. This allows you to guard more quickly at the end your combos.

If all else fails, just set the difficulty to easy for this one fight.

Thank you for this. I'm able to kill the small wolves pretty quickly. I'll set Rita to only use fireballs, that's a good suggestion. I'd rather not drop the difficulty down but also am enjoying the game. I just grinded two more levels as well so hopefully that'll be enough.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Oh wait, I know one character I disliked in this.
Sodia. Seriously, what the hell was her problem? Did she think Flynn was my boyfriend or something? Just a completely irredeemable character

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I don't care what sum a y'all say, Patty is a great character! She's hilarious. I love it when she uses her risky gambit move and fails, the sounds she makes when getting knocked down. Plus she say stuff like "me hearties" . :P

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what sum a y'all say, Patty is a great character! She's hilarious. I love it when she uses her risky gambit move and fails, the sounds she makes when getting knocked down. Plus she say stuff like "me hearties" . :P
Patty is great. I didn't use her much when I originally played this on X360, so I'm keeping her in the party much more often this time around. She's a very charming character.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Patty was definitely not in the original version. She made a sort of early cameo in the Capua Torim lighthouse with a hat that had half her name written on it, but that's it.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Weird. I guess my memory is playing tricks on me, then.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

zlOQ0Fx.jpg

Freezapls~

They still kept that message in the Definitive Edition.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
she's who I'm maining this time.
free run + critical + normal attack is crazy good. technically Advanced also does the same move you just aren't as fast, but you can pretty easily keep two enemies pinned down on the ground in critical mode with that since her dive bomb just slams them to the ground and they take a while to get up lol.

Also a huge fan of variable trigger on brainiac since that will also pin down an enemy and most enemies after 3 hits of it are final strike green broken so you just auto kill them.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The only thing that's dumb about Patty is
she's Aifread. How is that even possible, she's like 10.. lol

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
After much debating I'm getting this on Switch over Steam, can't beat that portability plus I can resell the game when I'm done

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
My main party is Yuri, Estelle, Rita and Raven/Judy. But I like to change the composition when wandering in a dungeon.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got to Zaude and everythings health is twice as much as the last area. Pretty sure this is where I quit back in the day.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
A little past Mantaic (just finished the Manor) and can I just say

Is anyone else pretty grossed out with Yuri's actions? It's weird that all of these polls online are like "Who's the best Tales character??? YURI!!!!" at least from the point in the the story that I'm at.

Like, he killed two people - granted, they were shitty people and the corrupt government probably wouldItn't have fully punished them for their own crimes, but if you think murdering those people is the best solution to that problem I don't really know what to tell you. It's this bizarre tonal shift in a game where so much of it is about this group of happy-go-lucky friends bopping around the countryside. He doesn't even seem to have any remorse! And the game presents it pretty straight, like "Yuri had to make the tough choices but he's right" - it's such 13-year-old logic, lol.

I'd honestly be cool with an ending to the game where Yuri goes to jail for the murders and Estelle is in recovery after being convinced to roam around the world with this charismatic serial killer. Does Yuri have some big redemption arc later on in the story or is this just treated as like "He murdered some people in cold blood but eh, it's fine!"

Also I feel like 60% of the dialogue, at least in the first half of the game, has been justifying why different members of the party are sticking around. "Oh, I want to go do this thing on my own... well I guess I'll stay!" "Me too!"

I'm overall really enjoying the game, it's just hard for me to suspend my inner critic with the plot as much as I could with Symphonia as a kid.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is anyone else pretty grossed out with Yuri's actions? It's weird that all of these polls online are like "Who's the best Tales character??? YURI!!!!" at least from the point in the the story that I'm at.

Like, he killed two people - granted, they were shitty people and the corrupt government probably wouldItn't have fully punished them for their own crimes, but if you think murdering those people is the best solution to that problem I don't really know what to tell you. It's this bizarre tonal shift in a game where so much of it is about this group of happy-go-lucky friends bopping around the countryside. He doesn't even seem to have any remorse! And the game presents it pretty straight, like "Yuri had to make the tough choices but he's right" - it's such 13-year-old logic, lol.

I'd honestly be cool with an ending to the game where Yuri goes to jail for the murders and Estelle is in recovery after being convinced to roam around the world with this charismatic serial killer. Does Yuri have some big redemption arc later on in the story or is this just treated as like "He murdered some people in cold blood but eh, it's fine!"

Also I feel like 60% of the dialogue, at least in the first half of the game, has been justifying why different members of the party are sticking around. "Oh, I want to go do this thing on my own... well I guess I'll stay!" "Me too!"

I'm overall really enjoying the game, it's just hard for me to suspend my inner critic with the plot as much as I could with Symphonia as a kid.

Keep playing.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

As mentioned, you want to keep playing. But boiling them down merely as "shitty people" is a bit of an understatement. One of them is literally feeding children to his pet monsters and 100% would have continued to do so. You're probably not going to get the kind of nuance really needed to properly tackle this moral dilemna out of an older Tales game, unfortunately, but it is addressed later on.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I don't get fatal strike. This tutorial and battle book description is fairly vague on how to get the magic circle to appear?

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ok I don't get fatal strike. This tutorial and battle book description is fairly vague on how to get the magic circle to appear?
Most arte's in their descriptions will display either a red, green or blue arrow(red are down striking artes, green forward, blue upward) which determines what color magic circle you can get onto the enemy by continually using artes of that color on them. When you target an enemy you can see their bars for each color, it starts full and you want to deplete on color entirely to trigger the magic circle to do the fatal strike, after successfully doing a fatal strike all bars reset to full on the enemy. Certain enemy types are easier to get certain FS's on, for instance beast type monsters are vulnerable to green FS's, aquatic to blue FS's, etc. so use artes with the green arrow on beasts and blue on aquatic. Depending on your goal for the battle this isn't always advisable, as using certain color FS's on different enemy types results in different rewards(more gald/XP/drop rate), you have to check the battle book for details on which FS's trigger which reward for each enemy type.

Oct 25, 2017
Most arte's in their descriptions will display either a red, green or blue arrow(red are down striking artes, green forward, blue upward) which determines what color magic circle you can get onto the enemy by continually using artes of that color on them. When you target an enemy you can see their bars for each color, it starts full and you want to deplete on color entirely to trigger the magic circle to do the fatal strike, after successfully doing a fatal strike all bars reset to full on the enemy. Certain enemy types are easier to get certain FS's on, for instance beast type monsters are vulnerable to green FS's, aquatic to blue FS's, etc. so use artes with the green arrow on beasts and blue on aquatic. Depending on your goal for the battle this isn't always advisable, as using certain color FS's on different enemy types results in different rewards(more gald/XP/drop rate), you have to check the battle book for details on which FS's trigger which reward for each enemy type.
Got it. I ended up killing normal dudes too quickly which is why the tutorial was deceptive.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Got it. I ended up killing normal dudes too quickly which is why the tutorial was deceptive.

Another way to rack FS chains is to set either Min/Quarter/Half Damage skills so you don't end up killing enemies quickly. Although FS chains is more for grinding Grade points as a connected Fatal Strike will immediately kill the enemy besides bosses.

Grinding for money/XP/drop rate is better off with Patty once you have the appropriate skills.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Where do you get the Sorcerer's Ring Lvl. 4? I have heard you need to it to access the Fell Arms sidequest to get the true final battle but I can't find it yet and I'm about to fight the final boss.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Where do you get the Sorcerer's Ring Lvl. 4? I have heard you need to it to access the Fell Arms sidequest to get the true final battle but I can't find it yet and I'm about to fight the final boss.

- Go back to Myorzo to see the Elder, he should give you the first Fell Arm called "Abyssion"
- Visit one of those weird rock formations on the overworld, they're Aer Krene. There should be 4 of them, one of them should have Judith's spear called Zurich.
- After getting Zurich, stay in that area and you'll notice you can enter the aer krene, check around until you can get a cutscene where you'll upgrade your sorcerer ring to LV4
- You can now visit any other aer krene and with your newly acquired LV4 ring you can blast away the rubbles blocking the entrances, any of them (beside the one where you got LV4 ring) should upgrade your ring to LV5, the final level.