• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Got itchy editing the menu.svo to access costumes that are not possible to achieve through gameplay.

3KojXbq.jpg

080ktLg.jpg

w6qx08G.jpg

More screenshots over here: https://imgur.com/a/rC37Bez

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Just have the Final Dungeon to do and I'm done.

Overall found this arc really chill, I personally liked it and again, I expected for the story to go here.

I think it's quite a pity you get all your party members so late, though, it's a little frustating. Just those small things that make the experience a little weak.

I swear the Patty = Aifread twist makes NO sense, I vividly remember the Don saying Patty looked like Aifread, not that it was her!

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10

Overall found this arc really chill, I personally liked it and again, I expected for the story to go here.

I think it's quite a pity you get all your party members so late, though, it's a little frustating. Just those small things that make the experience a little weak.

I swear the Patty = Aifread twist makes NO sense, I vividly remember the Don saying Patty looked like Aifread, not that it was her!

I do quite like this arc for being short and straight to the point if not for the dozens of sidequests that open up when the final dungeon appears.

Also I've updated my missables checklist guide and it should be pretty good to go after verifying nearly all of the missables. I still left the post game dungeons and Coliseum though.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I'm almost done and I was very confused about several plot points that didn't get explained at all.

Looked them up and the explanations (which make no sense)are locked behing sidequests that aren't even available anymore. Vesperia's storytelling seriously pisses me off.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

because she does look just like Aifread. You can't expect the Don to be able to realize that she got like 50 years shaved off her age due to a time crystal thing. Aka she looks just like a young Aifread, but she doesn't look like the Aifread he knew the last time he saw her.

That storyline has some issues in other places, but that wasn't one of them to me.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's my first time playing the game, last night I just finished the first Act (or so I've heard) and I'm back in Heliord. I'm really liking the game so far, but one thing I'm super bad at doing still is dodging attacks properly! I can't figure it out.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
because she does look just like Aifread. You can't expect the Don to be able to realize that she got like 50 years shaved off her age due to a time crystal thing. Aka she looks just like a young Aifread, but she doesn't look like the Aifread he knew the last time he saw her.

That storyline has some issues in other places, but that wasn't one of them to me.

Thanks for clarifying it but

I seriously can't remember if they mentioned anything about a time crystal being used. I imagine it's sidequest locked. Ugh.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for clarifying it but

I seriously can't remember if they mentioned anything about a time crystal being used. I imagine it's sidequest locked. Ugh.
it's in the new dungeon added for the ps3 version which is a huge grind.
I think at least.
even then it's covered a couple of times that
patty became younger at some point.

I think most of those are in side quests though, but one was part of the main story for sure when you had to
follow patty to the pirate ship and meet her old crew member.

It likely helps that I saw a spoiler about Patty early on and was looking for the information as I was playing :P

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Finished the game. Ending was sweet. I need some time to collect my thoughts but it's a 7/10. Enjoyed much more Berseria and in some ways I think Zestiria is better, but this is probably my second favourite Tales.

Agree with whoever said Vesperia is by far the game that lends itself the best for a sequel

Aside from the massive world change, all the characters are still alive and basically doing their own thing with no drastic changes, except maybe Estelle.

I may have sound very negative about the game these past few weeks, but I definitely really enjoyed it and I want to do a second playthrough in the future.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
after needing about 6k more grade to get the bare minimum of stuff I want in the grade shop, I'm glad I looked around a bit more and figured out how to grind grade purely by letting the game play itself.

this got a lot less tedious when I can net 2k+ grade in 40 minutes by letting the game just run while I am doing other stuff. In fact I think I will end up getting an extra 6k grade or so to get absolutely everything I could want even though some stuff like HP or TP up is mostly meaningless with 10X exp lol

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
after needing about 6k more grade to get the bare minimum of stuff I want in the grade shop, I'm glad I looked around a bit more and figured out how to grind grade purely by letting the game play itself.

this got a lot less tedious when I can net 2k+ grade in 40 minutes by letting the game just run while I am doing other stuff. In fact I think I will end up getting an extra 6k grade or so to get absolutely everything I could want even though some stuff like HP or TP up is mostly meaningless with 10X exp lol

Rubber band the sticks?
How do you press the X button to keep going after a battle though?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Rubber band the sticks?

You don't. You can get thousands of grade from one battle alone because the boss keeps summoning adds. As long as your party can survive and deals 1 damage per attack, you can just put them on auto and leave it for hours.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Rubber band the sticks?
You don't. You can get thousands of grade from one battle alone because the boss keeps summoning adds. As long as your party can survive and deals 1 damage per attack, you can just put them on auto and leave it for hours.
none of the above.
I am just fighting normal monsters, I don't know if I can handle brutal without taking damage from it, so just doing a normal earlier battle with 8 enemies
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2-cpz-WwAArAkS.jpg:large

Brutal does sound fun later to get exp though, but I just want the grade for new game plus :P

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Posting my full thoughts of Vesperia.

I was really excited for Vesperia. I got into Tales of rather late compared to most people, and while I think most of the games don't manage to fully realize what they set off to do, I think they have great potential. Potential that was proven to me with Berseria, a game I thoroughly love.

Anyway, I really wanted to love Vesperia too, but by the end, I couldn't care about it as much as I hoped for. I don't think it was a problem with hype, as excited I was for the game, I didn't have massive expectations.

Positives? The game looks great, it definitely shows it's the age with some of the facial animations, but this is probably the best looking Tales of game and that's pretty sad considering how old the game is. The music is also decent, not good, to be honest. Tons of uninspired tracks. But it is still decent.

Most importantly, the battle mechanics, while a little bullshitty at times, were really good, this is easily the best Team Symphonia game in terms of gameplay, every character feels amazing to play as, except maybe Estelle, and you can do some great stuff with her; but the rest of the characters are so much fun. Patty, Flynn and Raven were my favourites, but by the end everyone had such a distinctive and fun playstyle, you can use every character and have a blast.

All of my problems with the game were rooted in the story, writing and characters. I don't even know where to begin. The story is so dumb and uninspired, it has no idea what it wants to be. A political drama, a ¨awake the four thingies to save the world¨, a ¨save the environment¨story a la FF VII... They half-ass everything they tried, and it's really hard to care about anything when the characters are just going around the world doing such uninspired tasks,, and each of the storylines end up blueballing the player in various ways with shitty endings and unexplained details (explained in sidequests apparently).

And the characters... let me start, they are likeable. But goddamn if they are overrated and have serious flaws. I feel I could write a whole pharagraph for every playable character and how they screw them up in some way when they have amazing potential. Just for starters I could mention how Yuri has noooothing to do with most of the plot and his personal storyline gets forgotten and ignored sooo bad for the plot, it's so frustrating.

Anyway, I don't even know how to continue these thoughts, just way too much to talk about in this 60-hour adventure. But the important thing is that I did have fun and I would suggest the game to most JRPG fans. Just, I am glad they don't do Symphonia Team Tales of anymore, they frustrate me in so many ways.

TLDR: 7/10

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's a good skill build for Yuri? I'm at the point where
Estelle joins back after being captured

and I can still only do three attacks + base arte + another arte.

All the raising maximum attacks skills cost way too much in terms of skill points. Am I missing something?[/spoiler]

Lumbai

Apr 12, 2018
UK
What's a good skill build for Yuri? I'm at the point where
Estelle joins back after being captured

and I can still only do three attacks + base arte + another arte.

All the raising maximum attacks skills cost way too much in terms of skill points. Am I missing something?[/spoiler]

Have you learned any Altered Artes? By that point in the game you should have come across a handful of weapons with elemental skills + "Super Chain" skills.

When characters are equipped with elemental skills specific artes will become Altered into a new arte. If you use that Altered Arte 100 times you can learn it as a seperate arte and use it without the elemental skill equipped.

Certain "Super Chain" skills will then allow you to extend your basic combo to include Altered artes, so once all these are set up you can perform:

3 Hit normal -> Base arte -> Altered Arte -> Arcane Arte

If you haven't learnt these skills, the best option for you would be to equip a 'Combo Plus' skill, Yuri should have at least one of these at that point.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Just got this for Switch. What is the Definitive Edition Adventure Starter Pack (boy is that a mouthful) like in terms of gameplay impact? I don't necessarily want the game handed to me on a silver platter but if it's stuff that addresses problems with the game, I'd be interested in it.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I've put ~26 hours into it and I've had it completely crash my Switch twice, but I noticed this happens while there's dialogue and I jump in and out of sleep mode.
Yeah I was reading somewhere else that some people got crashes when activating skits. Thing is, I want to replay this but the Switch seems to have crashes and the PC version microstuttering. Don't know what's worse.

Can someone tell me if the PS4(Pro) version has microstutters?

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was reading somewhere else that some people got crashes when activating skits. Thing is, I want to replay this but the Switch seems to have crashes and the PC version microstuttering. Don't know what's worse.

Can someone tell me if the PS4(Pro) version has microstutters?
I mean it hasn't been TOO bad since it only happened 2 times in ~26 hours of playtime. The game lets you skip cut scenes at least so I didn't have to sit through a ton of it again.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Raven is the worst thing about Vesperia.

The entiire plot thread with him was just bad.

So I can buy him doubling as Schwann. But everything after the reveal was so stupid. After the battle, the party still sympathizes with him after he betrayed them?

Not only that, he saves them, and it undoes any tension about the twist. The blastia heart was was stupid. He says it's powered by his life force, but it was given to him after he died so what life was there to power the thing? So lame. He adds nothing to the game, and this was just bad writing.

Also why tf is he even fighting them in the first place if he was just going to save them? Terrible.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I haven't had any problem with the game in the first 10 hours. But now it's crashing so frequently it's almost unplayable. I can't keep losing progress.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Raven is the worst thing about Vesperia.

The entiire plot thread with him was just bad.

So I can buy him doubling as Schwann. But everything after the reveal was so stupid. After the battle, the party still sympathizes with him after he betrayed them?

Not only that, he saves them, and it undoes any tension about the twist. The blastia heart was was stupid. He says it's powered by his life force, but it was given to him after he died so what life was there to power the thing? So lame. He adds nothing to the game, and this was just bad writing.

Also why tf is he even fighting them in the first place if he was just going to save them? Terrible.

Yup, no lies detected.

I'm actually finding a lot of flaws with the story and character intentions/motivations as I go. I'm almost at the finishline, so hopefully, I canwrap up the game next week.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yup, no lies detected.

I'm actually finding a lot of flaws with the story and character intentions/motivations as I go. I'm almost at the finishline, so hopefully, I canwrap up the game next week.

I mean I knew back in '08 that the story had its flaws. And I still love the game bc the flaws (besides Raven) aren't glaring.

But the whole thing with Raven and anything involving him is stupid or just bad.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 22 hours in and are there any accessories to conserve TP? Holy shit Estelle just blows through all of hers super quick.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
I'm like 22 hours in and are there any accessories to conserve TP? Holy shit Estelle just blows through all of hers super quick.
If you find one, let me know, I'm almost at the end of the game.

Look to synthesize Faerie Ring if you didn't get it as a drop from Secret Mission. It should cut it down by half although there is other way to reduce TP consumption like not enabling skills that consumes more TP to increase damage and vice versa.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Look to synthesize Faerie Ring if you didn't get it as a drop from Secret Mission. It should cut it down by half although there is other way to reduce TP consumption like not enabling skills that consumes more TP to increase damage and vice versa.
Thanks.

It's funny because I feel like this is the most blunt Tales party of characters. Especially Rita and Yuri...no sugarcoating here. Especially towards Karol and Patty, the so-called "kids." Even the group of so called villains in Berseria were nicer. It's creates a pretty interesting dynamic.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Random observation from me messing around with the game files:
  1. The PC textures are "double" the resolution compared to PS3 version. Technically it is 4x the pixels amount and should be true for PS4 and Xbox One. Unsure about Switch version though.
  2. Generally the data contents are nearly identical to PS3 version save for a few changes that QLOC did for multi-language supports like the really high resolution fonts textures.
  3. I'm still new to data management but there is TONS of duplicated textures and meshes scattered across the packages. Some have unique incremental version (?) naming but it is essentially the same stuff.
I should get back to playing the game instead-

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 30 hours in and near the end of Act II I think. I haven't really done any side quests so far since I didn't want to use a guide. I feel bad that I missed out on so much content but meh.

Hopefully there's a few side quests that I can start in Act III and still complete.

The audio mixing on some of the skits (guessing the newer ones included in the PS3 rerelease) is absolutely terrible. It's like they forgot to lower the background music.

Last edited:

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
[copy pasted from the JRPG thread]

I hate to say it but ToV, while still great, didn't really make me feel the way it did back in 2008. It's hard to describe, but it's almost like I would prefer to hold on to my feelings of the game from 2008 than now.

Not only that, but the DE shows Namco's continued buffoonery when it comes to this series and localizations, especially with remasters. Horrible audio mixing with the newly recorded voices, not completely recasting the roles (like Atlus did, for example), a lesser quality localization for the newly translated content with drier writing and many typos, and stuff I had seen of crashes for the switch version (which I experienced only once right after I saved, thankfully) marred what should've been the... definitive version.

Also dumb shit like Estelle calling her second mystic arte Ultimate Elements but the written title saying Ultimate Elementia... sigh

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
[copy pasted from the JRPG thread]

I hate to say it but ToV, while still great, didn't really make me feel the way it did back in 2008. It's hard to describe, but it's almost like I would prefer to hold on to my feelings of the game from 2008 than now.

Not only that, but the DE shows Namco's continued buffoonery when it comes to this series and localizations, especially with remasters. Horrible audio mixing with the newly recorded voices, not completely recasting the roles (like Atlus did, for example), a lesser quality localization for the newly translated content with drier writing and many typos, and stuff I had seen of crashes for the switch version (which I experienced only once right after I saved, thankfully) marred what should've been the... definitive version.

Also dumb shit like Estelle calling her second mystic arte Ultimate Elements but the written title saying Ultimate Elementia... sigh
Same. I was loving it until I remembered Act 3 is side quest hell so I put the game on hold, lol.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I was also watching a scene yesterday where Flynn is talking to Yuri and he says "Yuri and his friends," and it was just really awkward, as if Yuri wasn't in the room, I was confused lmao.

Anyway...I thought I was at the end of Act II at 30 hours, but there's a lot at the end. I'm at 35 hours and still haven't finished the Act! I'm still enjoying this game a lot though. Already better than both Xillia games imo. Not sure how it'll stack up with Symphonia, Abyss, and Berseria by the end though.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying this once again as a remaster.

That said, every time I play this game I still get fucked by Adecor and Boccos in Heliord. And every time it pisses me off because I get sent so far back. At least you can skip the cutscenes now.