• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
At the end I got it, it will take me busy until the end of February and more since these two months will be quite demanding, but it will be a nice alternative to Smash online battles.
It's my first Tales of, despite liking JRPGs very much, so I hope that the purchase will be rewarded. Usually in JRPGs I search for a good combat system, a nice story (also medium level it's ok) and a good soundtrack - let's see how many of these points will be present.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a Tales game, but would love a new RPG on my Switch.

Would a primarily retro jRPG fan like the game (playing Brain Lord after finishing 7th Saga)? Is the localization good? Should I play it in Japanese or English?

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've never played a Tales game, but would love a new RPG on my Switch.

Would a primarily retro jRPG fan like the game (playing Brain Lord after finishing 7th Saga)? Is the localization good? Should I play it in Japanese or English? Will I cringe at over and awkward sexiness?

Retro I don't exactly know but it's classic 3D tales so yes?
Localization is great.
I would suggest Japanese because of the now different voice actors in scenes in English (English version is great though, but irritating because you suddenly have different voices for characters)
Awkward sexiness? No. Sexiness? Yes. Judith is the queen though. Look at her outfit in artworks - there is nothing worse in this game.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 version is already out of stock here just an hour it was up, now i'm thinking of getting either PS4 digital or NSW phys.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
ok so, I've played every tales game besides this one, downloading now...

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The game looks so gorgeous. I wish this version will be successful enough so that Bamco would see the light that people actually like this kind of artstyle over the newer ones.

I'm still early in the game, but I can already see some of the cutscenes are a bit too janky or just hasn't aged well. If their next game adopt this artstyle but with newer techs and more polish, it'll be glorious.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks so gorgeous. I wish this version will be successful enough so that Bamco would see the light that people actually like this kind of artstyle over the newer ones
I don't know, the towns and overworld might not be the best, but I think the characters in Berseria look incredible.

Sidebar: I'm shocked to see that this thread has 3x's as many post than that of the New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe OT. I mean, sure, Vesperia is a JRPG and it is released on every console, so there might be more to talk about than a 2D platformer, but it's still a little surprising to me.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The game looks so gorgeous. I wish this version will be successful enough so that Bamco would see the light that people actually like this kind of artstyle over the newer ones.

I'm still early in the game, but I can already see some of the cutscenes are a bit too janky or just hasn't aged well. If their next game adopt this artstyle but with newer techs and more polish, it'll be glorious.
No please no. It looks plain and empty af.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't know, the towns and overworld might not be the best, but I think the characters in Berseria look incredible.
Character models in Berseria are amazing indeed, but there's something off with them. They're just somewhat generic, because lots of other Japanese games share the same artstyle.

Oh boy. Any indicators for side quests? Can't I come back later to do them?
The side quests are veeeery obscure. Like, if you have a side quest and you progress with the story instead of finishing the side quest, it will be failed.

No please no. It looks plain and empty af.
Which can be easily fixed with current/future techs. I didn't ask them to literally make the new game just like Vesperia. Only the artstyle.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good list of these for new players? I'm worried about missing out on costumes
Oh boy. Any indicators for side quests? Can't I come back later to do them?

Unfortunately without a guide you'll miss out on quite a lot. A bunch of quests have a small time frame in which you can do them before they disappear. There's a few guides out there.

https://www.scribd.com/document/397057683/Kouli-s-Guide-Tov

This one is a cleaned up version of an older guide. Should include all the side content.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Unfortunately without a guide you'll miss out on quite a lot. A bunch of quests have a small time frame in which you can do them before they disappear. There's a few guides out there.

https://www.scribd.com/document/397057683/Kouli-s-Guide-Tov

This one is a cleaned up version of an older guide. Should include all the side content.

Thanks! I remember I missed basically every side costume in Symphonia when I played that and was bummed out about it later

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, UK here and it was actually delivered about 5 minutes ago.

I received an email from Bamco on Tuesday saying it had been shipped. The La Poste site worked fine on Wednesday when I checked but it's been unavailable since yesterday. I did get an email and text from DPD with delivery details yesterday, so I knew it had at least made it into the country.

I have to say, though, Bamco's packaging left a bit to be desired. The premium edition box itself is quite small and was placed in a larger box with a fair amount of room to slide about in - no bubble wrap or other packing material used, so mine's got a slightly dented corner.
Thanks for confirming - Sorry to hear about your damaged box too...I just have to wish on lady luck mine comes away unscathed. D:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Made some shots:

7bab3849-d202-4c00-978a-e3fb5dd4e0b0.PNG

ebb15690-c49f-4270-b958-55dcec127cae.PNG

91aa033a-85d0-4140-a21c-1c566601d075.PNG

6aebfb30-d25a-430a-bd49-30f97161ef58.PNG

939d00e8-7857-487b-bfcb-e062d98bf4db.PNG

I will leave it to the experts to analyze.

Damn, that looks 1080p if not sub1080 to me. Certainly doesn't appear to be enhanced. What a shame! Switch it is then, portability reigns supreme despite the performance niggles.

Might just hold off for a sale. Was really hyped for the Collector's Edition too :(

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
So... Hard mode first boss kicked my ass?? To be fair I only had 1 HP item left because I was dumb in the beginning and used em on fights that I didn't even have to / couldn't win it seems. I had to go down to Normal because if he got one attack/combo on me I lost so much HP that it was even risky to block? Did I do something wrong or is first boss on hard mode that hard? I thought I was good at hard RPG games hah!

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Bamco lied about the console specs of this game. The Switch version runs unlocked and averages at ~45 fps. The Xbox version is also unlocked and it seems to reach a consistent 60 on the X (no clue about the basic version)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are there performance drops on Switch? That will determine whether I get the PS4 or Switch version.

So... Hard mode first boss kicked my ass?? To be fair I only had 1 HP item left because I was dumb in the beginning and used em on fights that I didn't even have to / couldn't win it seems. I had to go down to Normal because if he got one attack/combo on me I lost so much HP that it was even risky to block? Did I do something wrong or is first boss on hard mode that hard? I thought I was good at hard RPG games hah!

Hard Mode is Hard.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot how bad the opening song was. In fact I think Xillia 2 might the be only one that isn't awful

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

Along the lines of this post... Is this game challenging? Or is it a mental walk on the park, mash buttons, enjoy the story and setting, have fun? Are these games known for pushing you?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Along the lines of this post... Is this game challenging? Or is it a mental walk on the park, mash buttons, enjoy the story and setting, have fun? Are these games known for pushing you?

Vesperia requires some input and thought on Normal. There's plenty of bosses that will wreck button mashers

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
God I made a mistake buying Switch digital. This shit won't unlock until half of the release day has expired or some shit.