• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. My guess is, they reached out to his agent, his agent went "here's the price", they balked and walked away from the table.

Wish they would have just asked Troy himself. With how bummed he was (he said he was "gutted") in not being asked, I am guessing he might have been willing to work out a more affordable price.

But what really irritates me with Namco Bandai is they could have afforded Baker, they probably just didn't want to. Which, maybe a smaller aspect (VO) compared to the rest of the game, it's not making (paying) the extra step to make sure it's done correctly.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
N1Valqu.jpg

gKxJIFY.jpg

j5Box3j.jpg

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
At what point can I change titles to get the extra costumes?

Currently I have none of the costume titles.

As soon as the game starts.

The DLC costume titles are already in your inventory in the last category of the items menu.

It will say (Character's Name) Bonus Title.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Protip for Zagi (and melee combat in general): you can cancel the end animation of Yuri's melee combo by pressing the direction Yuri's facing, the guard button and the free run button at the same time. Doing this lets you cancel into a guard, or start up another melee combo far quicker than you'd normally be able to.

Yuri's stab attack that he does when you press forward + attack is also a reliable way to break Zagi's guard.
I'm having a lot of difficulty pulling this off.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
So, how's the PC port? I just heard something about microstuttering on Twitter?

If stuttering bothers you, DO NOT buy on PC right now. Big thread on Steam forums on this it's across all players and PCs it seems so it's not us it's the game. Frame pacing seems to be messed up so even at locked frame rate there is movement stutter and stutter turning camera - in over world, towns, and battles. Really sucks

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
My copy just got in! Looks nice with the other copies.

C7trx3sl.jpg
Couldn't find my 360 copy of Vesperia, but I did have the idea to do this:

I wonder if they'll ever do a Symphonia Switch port. Kinda wild that Vesperia of all things came out there before Symphonia.

I'm having a lot of difficulty pulling this off.
I forgot to mention, it only works in Manual mode. Give it a shot there.

Anyone know how to get Repede as your party leader?
You have the synthesize the Special Flag R (I'm not sure what the officially translated item name is) to be able to set Repede as the party leader. You won't be getting the stuff needed for a while though, IIRC.

Last edited:

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
maybe i'm spoiled by berseria but combat so far feels so stubby and unresponsive and clunky

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so out of my game, I lost to the tweedles. I've beaten this game before so I had no idea why I lost, then I turned the game off and went to work so that's been on my mind for a while lol.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If stuttering bothers you, DO NOT buy on PC right now. Big thread on Steam forums on this it's across all players and PCs it seems so it's not us it's the game. Frame pacing seems to be messed up so even at locked frame rate there is movement stutter and stutter turning camera - in over world, towns, and battles. Really sucks
Guess I wait and hope Special K dude fixes it.

Kanjiology

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Couldn't find my 360 copy of Vesperia, but I did have the idea to do this:

I wonder if they'll ever do a Symphonia Switch port. Kinda wild that Vesperia of all things came out there before Symphonia.

I forgot to mention, it only works in Manual mode. Give it a shot there.

You have the synthesize the Special Flag R (I'm not sure what the officially translated item name) to be able to set Repede as the party leader. You won't be getting the stuff needed for a while though, IIRC.

Awesome picture. I didn't know South Korea got a release of Tales of Vesperia. I'd love to get my hands on a Tales of Symphonia Definitive edition, if the game was 60FPS but came with the PS2 content as well.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steam version looks nice though. Way bettee than berseria.

The cellshading is looking awesome at 1440p maxed out.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
maybe i'm spoiled by berseria but combat so far feels so stubby and unresponsive and clunky
Yeah, some parts of the game just didn't age well, including combat and cutscenes direction/animation.

This game is so blurry I feel drunk just looking at it.
Are you on PC? Use Reshade and simply turn on Clarity effect only if you still want to retain the original artstyle/color scheme.

OFF
toRJjpS.jpg

ON
N0LGeJz.jpg

Or if you want something stronger, use Curve
4SuM3na.jpg

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I love the modern age. I can download a 20 gb game in 15 minutes and then it takes an hour to "copy" a 1 gb patch.

Technology....

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some parts of the game just didn't age well, including combat and cutscenes direction/animation.

Are you on PC? Use Reshade and simply turn on Clarity effect only if you still want to retain the original artstyle/color scheme.

OFF
toRJjpS.jpg

ON
N0LGeJz.jpg

4SuM3na.jpg
I'm on the Switch, alas. That looks amazing though! The art style is wonderful, it's just a shame this blur is concealing it all.

There's no way this game is 60fps outside battles on the Switch either. There's juddering all over the place in towns and the world map.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Is the XBO/PS4 version also blurry? The Switch version is kinda bothering me. That coupled with the frame rate or background skipping is turning me off.

Yes it is, it looks like the only thing they upped is the UI and menus but the game behind it is still the same blurry 720p game.
It doesn't look at all like 1080p on my Pro.
Also a bit washed out or looking through milk glass/grey veil.
Not pretty.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm torn between either getting the PS4 or Switch version. How's the Switch version been?

So far i can see the Switch version does have no anti-aliasing so you will see jaggies but i guess you got to weigh up if the portability is worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DiTd96lj8&t=406s

It also looks like it has a variable framerate in the field but locked 60FPS in battles. It seems like it performs better in handheld mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKDy9hOOOo&t=87s

Either way both versions are better than the Xbox 360/PS3 version.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Wish they would have just asked Troy himself. With how bummed he was (he said he was "gutted") in not being asked, I am guessing he might have been willing to work out a more affordable price.

But what really irritates me with Namco Bandai is they could have afforded Baker, they probably just didn't want to. Which, maybe a smaller aspect (VO) compared to the rest of the game, it's not making (paying) the extra step to make sure it's done correctly.

I don't think you're being very realistic for a low budget remaster, it's not exactly going to sell big numbers

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome picture. I didn't know South Korea got a release of Tales of Vesperia. I'd love to get my hands on a Tales of Symphonia Definitive edition, if the game was 60FPS but came with the PS2 content as well.
The Korean release is just the box and manual in Korean. Game itself is still Japanese

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Been thinking about this game all day at work today. It's so sublime, and it makes me remember how disappointing all of the Tales games since Vesperia have been for me. At a certain point I just accepted the mediocrity in locals and dungeon design. Berseria I love you, but man this one blows all of the newer ones out of the water.

OFF
toRJjpS.jpg

ON
N0LGeJz.jpg

4SuM3na.jpg

In that last picture are you using both "Curve" and "Clarity" or just Curve? I really like the way that looks.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Alright, how do I get better at the battle system, I've only done the tutorial fight so far and I had to use the healing items, fuck my life.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

You're assuming so many things. One, I wouldn't take him saying he was "gutted" as anything more than talking to the fans. Even if he was disappointed, that doesn't mean he would have done it for cheaper. Two, he probably isn't the one negotiating price in the first place, he probably has an agent/manager. Three, while price is definitely a factor, so is availability. He's one of the most, if not the most, prolific voice actors in the industry. Maybe he just wasn't available when they needed to record.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, how do I get better at the battle system, I've only done the tutorial fight so far and I had to use the healing items, fuck my life.

Defense and punish, but those two can actually kinda corner you and screw you up, lol.

It's just kinda rough early on since you have basically no options. The game tells you about basic attack combos into artes but the only arte you have is more for range, you usually get punished for combing into it.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017

I am betting you that there are union rules that won't let him take pay cuts bellow what he usually asks or what is standard for all union members.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I'm in love with this game. Haven't played an all new traditional jrpg experience in a long time and this one's doing all the right things for me. A nice change from xenoblade 2 .I was kind of done with it

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Basic combos are attack -> attack -> attack -> arte. So Circle, Circle, Circle, X, then guard and wait for the enemy to hit you back or if they guard too wait for them to lower their guard and then repeat. When you get access to more hits and more artes you can do more branching and nuanced combos but that one will help you get used to the basics.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man the artstyle of this game is so clean. Everything from the graphics to the slick text boxes and menus. This game blows berseria away for sure.

Oct 26, 2017
Hitting up-arts seems to be a bit finnicky but otherwise seems good. Only had a little time to play it yesterday since the mail came pretty late but it looks nice. I'll get deeper into it tonight. I played Symphonia a ton when I was younger and enjoyed Abyss quite a bit on the 3ds release so I was kind of surprised to find the combat feeling a bit awkward on this one but hopefully I'll get used to it

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Only encountered one non-Troy scene -- the core one early on, I believe -- and it sounds close enough for me; really, I imagine the new battle lines will stick out more given they're concurrent with Troy's. While I'm nitpicking, the game has more localization errors than I recall (some text stuff and one NPC randomly swapping VAs in just one minute's time, and what was up with
Zagi murdering that one dude and Yuri/Estelle being more concerned about the door? lol

Nitpicking aside, god, do I wish the Tales games of today were like this. The age's starting to show and I've never cared for the story devolving into wild goose chases, but it's the last time the series was actually, y'know, good.

(Yeah, yeah, I know: Berseria exists, but after Zestiria...)

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Starting to go through the game now, and I'm not super fond of having to use a sidequest guide to make sure I don't miss anything dumb (in fact, I have the sinking suspicion I used Kouli's guide when I first played the game ten years ago...).

I haven't gotten to too many additional voiced scenes to notice new-Yuri yet, but I am appreciating this touch (because I damn sure don't remember Wesker voicing a random-ass guard, so I'm glad they at least got D.C. Douglas back on board for the actual character he voices most likely).

Edit: Oh no nevermind, new-Yuri is super obvious lol