• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
Good lord, that framerate when you finally get to the world map. I don't know if it's because I'm used to the fps in battles, but it feels sub 30fps.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Any way to skip through the dialogue on skits or do I have to listen to all the dialogue? This is annoying af.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
...press A/X?

Tales of games, or JRPG like this in general, are very dialogue heavy. I'm not sure why did you buy this if it's not your thing.
I don't mind reading all the dialogue, but listening to it all is kind of a chore since I read much faster than I listen. I thought I tried pressing X and it didn't work in skits (works in cutscenes). I will try other buttons next time.
Edit: Tried every damn button and you can't skip past individual lines; you can only skip the entire skit. Mess.

I play JRPGs almost exclusively and have for over 20 years. Most of them, especially nowadays, allow you to skip through voice acting if you read faster.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
When does this game actually start to be fun.. Right now I'm pretty bored

It's a traditional JRPG. It can take hours.

Maybe ERA have to guide me a little. DHL was not able to deliver on time, it's no surprise because they are a lame duck. I've heard the OST is missing a few licensed songs (I hate them for that, really) and the Switch version runs not so well. Paid 80 Euros for the Switch SE. It's not delivered but should I keep it? Part in me will be sad if I refuse to accept the delivery, part of me said "Yeah, glad I'm saved 80 Bucks here".

For the folks playing the Switch Version for a few hours now, how does it perform? It don't change anything if I watch a video because you don't actually see micro stuttering in those videos.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
😭😭😭 I went to both best buy and target get this and NSMBUdx and they only had physical copies for xbox one and too late to go gamestop now since they closing at 8pm. Thanks Bandai Namco.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Alright, this might only help a couple people, but I managed to figure out how to chain-load reshade (for the curves effect in my case) and special-k for better framepacing. If anyone is interested...

Install Reshade first. Install it (D3D10+) with only Curves (or clarity, unless you really wanna go wild with effects). Rename dxgi.ini to ReShade.ini and dxgi.dll to ReShade64.dll. Move all the reshade related files to and the reshade-shaders folder to:

My Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\PlugIns\ThirdParty\ReShade

Then extract the contents of SK_TVFix.7z to the ToV directory. Boot the game and open up special k menu with ctrl-shift-backspace. Activate the microstutter fix, you should set a frame limit, and go to the plugins accordion to activate the reshade plugin files you just moved. Set reshade to "early". Reboot the game. You should be able to now open both the Reshade settings with Home (in some older cases it might be Shift+F2?) and also the Special K window with the Ctrl-Shift-Backspace.

The stutter fix mod is here https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/tag/sk_vesperia

Edit: With the updates to K's mod, I really don't feel reshade is needed anymore.

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The stuttering is exactly the same as I got in Zestiria and Berseria, annoying but I'll stop noticing it after a while. The voice acting is a lot rougher than I remember outside of Yuri

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
The stuttering is exactly the same as I got in Zestiria and Berseria, annoying but I'll stop noticing it after a while.
This is ultimately why I decided against the PC version and went with Switch.

Sure, the Switch has arguably more issues than all the versions, but my PC is way too powerful to be having any issues with these types of games, so I excuse it less. Plus, the idea of replaying Vesperia handheld is just too strong for me. That and Beseria wouldn't load for me for months no matter what I tried and I DO NOT want to go through that again.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Been seeing a lot of people here wanting to know how each version looks and runs. So I managed to try out all three console versions and here are my impressions for those people who wanted these details. Didn't get to try out PC.

PS4 is the way to go here. PS4 Pro gives the game a good boost with resolution and FPS but even on base PS4, everything looks and feels great. PS4 runs 60 in and outside of battle and it looks incredible.

X1 doesn't quite hit that but still looksgood with the X. X1 gives a resolution and FPS boost, just like PS4 but it's not as stable as PS4 for some reason.

The AA here is done really well on both PS4/X1. No real issues from what I can tell, it's as you expect. 60FPS, 1080P (4k on X1X?) Looks, feels, and plays great.

Switch is nothing like the PS4/X1 versions. This does not run well docked on Switch. It has frame stuttering everywhere, Blurry textures, FPS is extremely lagging and definitely lower than 30 in and outside of battles despite the latter "targeting" 60, and the resolution doesn't look great either because unlike PS4/X1, no Anti-Aliasing whatsoever. It is genuinely not fun to play because of the frame stuttering and framerate. If you didn't tell me, I would have thought this was the original 360 version. In fact, it looks worse because that had AA and didn't have all these issues. I'm not sure what happened here as this is a 360 game and all versions should be identical.

But, the one saving grace surprisingly is handheld mode. It runs better and looks better because it's a smaller screen so you can get past the basic lack of AA and graphical fidelity and none of the issues I mentioned for docked are present in handheld mode at all. It actually looks, plays, and feels great. I played for a good few hours and I had absolutely no issue. I'm mainly playing the game on my PS4 but I wanted to test out the handheld version so I started a file on Switch too. If you're getting this for NS, only play it on handheld mode. Otherwise, I urge you to stay away from the Switch version and get it on PS4/X1.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's a traditional JRPG. It can take hours.

Maybe ERA have to guide me a little. DHL was not able to deliver on time, it's no surprise because they are a lame duck. I've heard the OST is missing a few licensed songs (I hate them for that, really) and the Switch version runs not so well. Paid 80 Euros for the Switch SE. It's not delivered but should I keep it? Part in me will be sad if I refuse to accept the delivery, part of me said "Yeah, glad I'm saved 80 Bucks here".

For the folks playing the Switch Version for a few hours now, how does it perform? It don't change anything if I watch a video because you don't actually see micro stuttering in those videos.
I'm pretty sure you can skip them. I also skip them in the middle of the dialogue sometimes. I can't confirm about skipping skits as I'm not playing right now, but I believe X/A should work.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Alright, this might only help a couple people, but I managed to figure out how to chain-load reshade (for the curves effect in my case) and special-k for better framepacing. If anyone is interested...

Install Reshade first. Install it (D3D10+) with only Curves (or clarity, unless you really wanna go wild with effects). Rename dxgi.ini to ReShade.ini and dxgi.dll to ReShade64.dll. Move all the reshade related files to and the reshade-shaders folder to:

My Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\PlugIns\ThirdParty\ReShade

Then extract the contents of SK_TVFix.7z to the ToV directory. Boot the game and open up special k menu with ctrl-shift-backspace. Activate the microstutter fix, you should set a frame limit, and go to the plugins accordion to activate the reshade plugin files you just moved. Set reshade to "early". Reboot the game. You should be able to now open both the Reshade settings with Home (in some older cases it might be Shift+F2?) and also the Special K window with the Ctrl-Shift-Backspace.

The stutter fix mod is here https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/tag/sk_vesperia
Ooh cool. Thanks for this.

I don't think my PC suffers from framepacing issue, but Kaldaien usually add more stuff later which will be useful.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't find my 360 copy of Vesperia, but I did have the idea to do this:

I wonder if they'll ever do a Symphonia Switch port. Kinda wild that Vesperia of all things came out there before Symphonia.

I forgot to mention, it only works in Manual mode. Give it a shot there.

You have the synthesize the Special Flag R (I'm not sure what the officially translated item name is) to be able to set Repede as the party leader. You won't be getting the stuff needed for a while though, IIRC.
I love seeing these even though I'm a digital guy these days. Anyone have a full NA set of all the Tales games released in the US?

Gotta be some mega fans up in there lol.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely did for Zestiria, can't honestly remember if it fixed the stuttering or not
i played berseria with the fix, and had no stuttering issue like what happens in vesperia pc

i even checked berseria again to see if it did, but it doesnt stutter

dont remember zestiria myself, but i dont think i noticed a stutter

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Been seeing a lot of people here wanting to know how each version looks and runs. So I managed to try out all three console versions and here are my impressions for those people who wanted these details. Didn't get to try out PC.

PS4 is the way to go here. PS4 Pro gives the game a good boost with resolution and FPS but even on base PS4, everything looks and feels great. PS4 runs 60 in and outside of battle and it looks incredible.

X1 doesn't quite hit that but still looksgood with the X. X1 gives a resolution and FPS boost, just like PS4 but it's not as stable as PS4 for some reason.

The AA here is done really well on both PS4/X1. No real issues from what I can tell, it's as you expect. 60FPS, 1080P (4k on X1X?) Looks, feels, and plays great.

Switch is nothing like the PS4/X1 versions. This does not run well docked on Switch. It has frame stuttering everywhere, Blurry textures, FPS is extremely lagging and definitely lower than 30 in and outside of battles despite the latter "targeting" 60, and the resolution doesn't look great either because unlike PS4/X1, no Anti-Aliasing whatsoever. It is genuinely not fun to play because of the frame stuttering and framerate. If you didn't tell me, I would have thought this was the original 360 version. In fact, it looks worse because that had AA and didn't have all these issues. I'm not sure what happened here as this is a 360 game and all versions should be identical.

But, the one saving grace surprisingly is handheld mode. It runs better and looks better because it's a smaller screen so you can get past the basic lack of AA and graphical fidelity and none of the issues I mentioned for docked are present in handheld mode at all. It actually looks, plays, and feels great. I played for a good few hours and I had absolutely no issue. I'm mainly playing the game on my PS4 but I wanted to test out the handheld version so I started a file on Switch too. If you're getting this for NS, only play it on handheld mode. Otherwise, I urge you to stay away from the Switch version and get it on PS4/X1.
Thanks for the impressions and comparison. I will probably go for Switch as I mainly play on handheld.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I've started playing on Switch. I guess it depends on the person, it hasn't felt jarring for me at all. But to be fair, 30 FPS has never bothered me unless it is a multiplayer focused game.

It's not 30 FPS consistently. It drops below that constantly. It's extremely apparent as soon as you get control right when you start the game, and especially when you enter battles with the contrast between the two. I'm not sure how you're not noticing it because it's right there. It's not enjoyable to play.

However, handheld does not have any of these issues.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Gattuso down, should be smooth sailing from here lol. Still took me two tries and I've already done this before on 360...

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Thanks for the impressions and comparison. I will probably go for Switch as I mainly play on handheld.

Then you'll be just fine. Handheld doesn't have any issues and actually works as intended. As long as you don't mess with docked, you shouldn't have any problem. The day one patch didn't do much from what I noticed, in fact, I think it's what created all these issues in the first place. It seems before the patch the FPS was actually locked, so naturally due to that, there was probably no frame stuttering issues and I imagine none of the other issues I mentioned also wouldn't happen.

Last edited:

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Lol:
vesperia_fpsy8d1d.png

Anyway, played for 9 hours, no issues to speak of (other than really slow camera rotation speed on the world map maybe).

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I feel like I've been a bit spoiled by the speed of recent Tales combat, because man does Vesperia's feel slow and clunky now. I don't remember it bothering me back on the 360, but Berseria in particular felt so much snappier and fast.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Then you'll be just fine. Handheld doesn't have any issues and actually works as intended. As long as you don't mess with docked, you shouldn't have any problem. The day one patch didn't do much from what I noticed, in fact, I think it's what created all these issues because it seems before the FPS was locked which probably meant no frame stuttering issues and then I imagine none of the other issues would happen because of that.
That is unfortunate if true. Hope they will improve the performance in future patch rather than worsening it.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I traded in my switch copy for a ps4 copy because of all the frame rate issues you guys are already talking about. Those problems are a real deal breaker for me.

I played a couple of hours and just gave up, went to the store and traded in my switch copy for a ps4 copy.

Handheld still stutters. Less than docked but the stutters are there.

Ps4 version is gorgeous and has no problems. Best Tales of Ever.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
That is unfortunate if true. Hope they will improve the performance in future patch rather than worsening it.

It seems they didn't really put any effort into this remaster for any system but PS4 and PC. I don't really think they're going to patch it again unfortunately but at least you can still play handheld or get the PS4/X1 versions instead.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've been a bit spoiled by the speed of recent Tales combat, because man does Vesperia's feel slow and clunky now. I don't remember it bothering me back on the 360, but Berseria in particular felt so much snappier and fast.
yeah, i loaded up xillia the other day, and it just isnt as fun as zestiria and berseria, also the jumping is ridiculous, im like jumping 20 ft in the air

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Hey is it just me or does Tales of Vesperia Definitive edition not support surround sound despite the original having it?

Got the switch version but like all tales of games since 2005 there always was a "mono, stereo, surround" option in the menus, like vesperia, zestiria and berseria all had it among others. But its absent in the menus from the switch version, and watching the walktrough of the ps4 version the option in the menu is also absent.

Can anyone hear audio coming from the center, rear right or rear left channel? im kinda shocked that a definitive edition lacks a feature that was present in the original 2008(?) release.

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
I traded in my switch copy for a ps4 copy because of all the frame rate issues you guys are already talking about. Those problems are a real deal breaker for me.

I played a couple of hours and just gave up, went to the store and traded in my switch copy for a ps4 copy.

I wish I could do this and trade it in for the XB1 or PS4 version. It's really, really bad for me. But unfortunately I ordered from Amazon.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018

Very minor stutters however so I don't think they would bother anyone, but of course, still not ideal, just tolerable. Absolutely. This is what happened with me when I tested it. Docked was unbearable and I tried for a hours as well and just couldn't take it.

Hope you enjoy it. PS4 version has no issues and looks and runs great from my tests.

Synless

Oct 30, 2017
Digital foundry needs to do a comparison for this game. I had the PS4 version in hand, watched a video that showed a 40-60fps frame rate on Switch. Said fuck it, I'd rather have this portable. Then I read this page and see sub-30fps being thrown around on switch.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
for any system but PS4 and PC.
i would dispute pc, since apparently they made the exact same mistake they did the previous 3 releases on pc, what makes it even stranger is that the problem stems from the frame limiter used in the previous tales ports, which they removed the frame limiter from vesperia pc but kept the broken part that caused the stutters in the previous version

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Digital foundry needs to do a comparison for this game. I had the PS4 version in hand, watched a video that showed a 40-60fps frame rate on Switch. Said fuck it, I'd rather have this portable. Then I read this page and see sub-30fps being thrown around on switch.

It's the day one patch. It does something to the game. I'm not sure how the game played before it as I didn't try it out without the patch but that's just my guess.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
i would dispute pc, since apparently they made the exact same mistake they did the previous 3 releases on pc, what makes it even stranger is that the problem stems from the frame limiter used in the previous tales ports, which they removed the frame limiter from vesperia pc but kept the broken part that caused the stutters in the previous version

Really? They really dropped the ball here. Sorry, I never got to test the PC version so I wouldn't know but that sounds awful.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
The only video we have right now, it hits I think 38fps as lowest outside of battles. But I don't think anyone is far enough on switch to really see how much stress in battle can take. If you have multiple spells going, I could see the switch not being able to hold 60fps. But this is going to be an issue for DF as well, because you have to fairly far hours wise before you get to the taxing battle situations.