• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like I'll be getting the game on the PS4 or PC after all. Over here the Switch version is actually the most expensive for me so I'll be saving some dollars.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
By the way, if anyone was wondering (like me) after reading the "4k resolution" spec for the PC version: the implementation is sane and not actually limited to 4k.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The soft filter is how the game always looked, even on 360.

image_tales_of_vesperia-8213-1490_0005.jpg

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
After coming back home from the store, having traded my switch copy for a ps4 copy, I sat down and played all day long. (about 8 hours)

I love this game so much. I was so bummed when the PS3 version was anounced only for japan!

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah every version of the game looks like it has a glow or fuzz. That's how the original was.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm that's it, downloading this on the quattro. Not gonna mess around with the Switch version even if I am intrigued by it.

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
Digital foundry needs to do a comparison for this game. I had the PS4 version in hand, watched a video that showed a 40-60fps frame rate on Switch. Said fuck it, I'd rather have this portable. Then I read this page and see sub-30fps being thrown around on switch.
To be fair it might not be sub 30fps like I mentioned. I don't count frames, but it just feels really jittery and sub 30. But again, it could be because I was jumping in and out of fights where the framerate is much higher.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
It isn't like it's unheard of. The recent re-releases of the various Final Fantasy titles all let you enable different cheats for making enemy encounters much easier, disabling random encounters, speeding up the game, etc. Having the option to make a game easier for those who want it is nice.
Especially since I'm just here for the new content I beat the game 5 times and got halfway through the ps3 version being able to fast forward through the first half sounds great to me.

Plus I'm definitely going to platinum this

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Yeah, that will alleviate some of that.

All Titles is still super easily missed though. That covers things like having all weapons (some weapons are literally sold in a town once, you leave and can't get them again), stuff like that. Vesperia is a minefield of missables.
Yea I've completed the games multiple times with a Brady games guide. Mid the broniac each Time

PKdeGallo

Nov 19, 2017
Miami, FL
I bought the Switch version of the game this morning even knowing that it would probably have some issues. Honestly, I just wanted to support Tales games on the Switch and this feels like my way of telling Bamco to continue to do this. That being said I also did buy it on the PS4 just now because I wanted it in full 60 FPS and all.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
So these free outfits I got, they are not the outfits/titles I could have got in game right? These are totally seperate?
The ones listed in the Extra Items page of the item menu as ____ Bonus Title XX are the DLC ones and the ones listed as Customize Pack: ____ are early unlocks for the ones you can get by completing side quests, I believe.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I bought the Switch version of the game this morning even knowing that it would probably have some issues. Honestly, I just wanted to support Tales games on the Switch and this feels like my way of telling Bamco to continue to do this. That being said I also did buy it on the PS4 just now because I wanted it in full 60 FPS and all.
Yeah I think that's why I got it on the switch as well

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Played a little to try it out and look into some things I was curious about:

- I don't know if QLOC often does console ports/remasters in addition to the PC (some quick research shows they did PS4/One/PC versions of Dark Souls Remastered?), or maybe the credits vary slightly depending on what version you're playing, but I watched the credits to see who made this and unless I missed something it was basically just them credited for development of the port, with some Tales staff as support. Tri-Crescendo, Bamco's usual go-to studio for Tales stuff, hasn't updated their site with this game (yet) either.

- Activated the DLC that gives you almost a million gald, 40 levels, and a bunch of synthesizing materials. Supposed to be a snowy weekend where I live so I think I might actually play through the game and just cheese it.

- I always like going back to their older approach to menu design. Zestiria and Berseria shifted to a more streamlined look and cut down on some button presses and scrolling, but I miss the item icons and stuff. I don't miss these boxy skits though, bleh. :P

- The environments feel really small and on rails compared to modern RPGs, but the models are nice as usual and scale really well!

- I've now played this game on three different platforms at both higher and lower resolutions, and it's had this soft look every time and I've never liked it. I was hoping they'd do something about it with this version but nope... I'll set up the reshade soon because I'm kinda tired of the game looking like this and it'll just pick at me the entire time if I don't do something, lol.

- After the past couple of years with the modernized animation and cutscene direction in recent Tales games -- Berseria in particular working out a lot of the kinks and doing a pretty nice job with the direction and animation -- the more...utilitarian approach they had to use in the pre-Graces games is kind of unpleasant now. Bizzarre camera angles and movement, several moments where characters are really stiff besides lip movement, dialogue and animation being a little awkwardly paced, and so on. Definitely not as "disruptive" as watching story scenes play out in the Symphonia remaster, but still not all that great. As a result I don't think the higher framerate you can get outside of battles now will get many opportunities to really shine and bring out some "hidden flair" in the cutscenes, but this does make me kinda interested in playing an Xillia remaster someday.

- On that note, Berseria is the most fluid and responsive 3D Tales game to me and after that this game always feels a little off. I can adapt as I've dealt with much worse, but Vesperia was already a little "heavier" than usual for a Tales game and it's especially noticeable to me these days. 3D JRPGs in general have improved a lot at fluidity/responsiveness within the past 3-4 years to me, even the turn-based ones like P5 and DQXI feel faster and more satisfying to play.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks soft even if you ditch post process AA and go for straight up 4XMSAA on PC.

It's just the way the engine is.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The game looks soft even if you ditch post process AA and go for straight up 4XMSAA on PC.

A simple Reshade setting works wonder too.
Yeah, some parts of the game just didn't age well, including combat and cutscenes direction/animation.

Are you on PC? Use Reshade and simply turn on Clarity effect only if you still want to retain the original artstyle/color scheme.

OFF
toRJjpS.jpg

ON
N0LGeJz.jpg

Or if you want something stronger, use Curve
4SuM3na.jpg

San'ninbaori

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone hear audio coming from the center, rear right or rear left channel? im kinda shocked that a definitive edition lacks a feature that was present in the original 2008(?) release.

Not sure about the switch as I don't own that version, but on X1 the (background) sounds are coming through the rears, so it's supported there, at least.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Is Fireball still Rita's best spell until Tidal Wave spam in this version?

I know it gets up to like 14 or so fireballs if you use it enough.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Hard mode is so stupid. Yuri is too slow to not take hits when attacking and the enemy HP is way too high. Eventually you die before they do.

I'll switch it back from normal once I get more party members.

LogN-

Oct 30, 2017
Is the Switch version really this broken? I have a Pro, but kinda wanted it on the Switch.. i know battles are meant to be 60fps and travel 30fps on Switch, but is it running that poorly against those targets?

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
With the new version can you
Get the Kratos fight on your first playthrough? I always hated having to do multiple and i'd like to just get it done at once.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
It's not 30 FPS consistently. It drops below that constantly. It's extremely apparent as soon as you get control right when you start the game, and especially when you enter battles with the contrast between the two. I'm not sure how you're not noticing it because it's right there. It's not enjoyable to play.

However, handheld does not have any of these issues.

Dropping below 30? I haven't gotten that far into yet but I haven't seen THAT drastic of a drop. Are you docked or undocked? I hope that isn't actually the case because there is no excuse for that.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
The steel book that came with my switch collectors edition is for a cd. I really need to stop getting these collectors editions.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Is the Switch version really this broken? I have a Pro, but kinda wanted it on the Switch.. i know battles are meant to be 60fps and travel 30fps on Switch, but is it running that poorly against those targets?
I'm only like an hour into the Switch version so far (haven't gotten to the world map yet), but it seems fine to me so far. Battles have all been 60FPS so far, and while the framerate definitely fluctuates a lot in the field, it isn't bad enough that it makes it feel bad to play, it least not for me.

I'll put it this way: so far, I don't regret choosing the Switch version for portability over either of the console versions. It seems fine.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's much more noticeable in handheld though but it's apparent in docked too, yes. I guess I was more distracted with how badly the game was running and the frame stuttering to pay attention.
I am probably among the minority here, but I like the "softness" of its graphics since the 360 days.
This softness has a unnecessary glow to it.

Something to note, is that the filter was produced more strongly on the PS3 version, and I wonder if they didn't re-adjust it when they ported the game to other systems. The 360 version had it, but it wasn't nearly as strong as it was on the PS3 (which was likely a by-product to hide the fact that the game was sub-native).

I guess they didn't end up adjusting it in the end...

Travel is actually 60fps (or rather, uncapped) on Switch. Problem is the framerate can drop a bit. I believe it's locked on PS3 at 30fps, though Battles can very wildly. Switch it's completely uncapped to 60fps, but does have some drops, based off footage I saw.

I haven't played it, so not sure how I feel about it, but I also bought it for Switch for the handheld experience. I'm a little disappointed with the drops, but I largely suspect it has more to do with how many different architectures it was ported to, so I imagine optimization is messy as a result.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the battles are a locked 60 FPS I'm fine with the Switch version.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing portable most of the day, and whew it's a battery sucker. Clocked 1:45 so far, and I'm down to 53% battery. Guess it's the kind of game I should mostly stick to docked for.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
To be honest, as jarring as the soft/brightness is
My eyes will adjust to it and by the time I'm 3 hours in it my eyes will adjust and it will just look normal

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I might return my copy for the PS4 version. Controlling it on Switch just doesn't feel quite right (also my Joycon has major drift).

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Hard mode is so stupid. Yuri is too slow to not take hits when attacking and the enemy HP is way too high. Eventually you die before they do.

I'll switch it back from normal once I get more party members.

I turned Hard Mode off after beating the first boss. I really, really wish they didn't buff HP as well in higher difficulties because god damn does everything take forever early on.

Plus, I forgot how ridiculously stiff Yuri is at the beginning of the game with his slow artes and lack of backdash. Not to mention, you'll end up getting more Grade in Normal anyway because you're going to get docked for taking a shit ton of damage on Hard even by blocking and battles taking too long due to inflated HP.

I honestly don't know how or why I even started on Hard Mode when I first played the game on the 360 release because this just seems so dumb

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, this might only help a couple people, but I managed to figure out how to chain-load reshade (for the curves effect in my case) and special-k for better framepacing. If anyone is interested...

Install Reshade first. Install it (D3D10+) with only Curves (or clarity, unless you really wanna go wild with effects). Rename dxgi.ini to ReShade.ini and dxgi.dll to ReShade64.dll. Move all the reshade related files to and the reshade-shaders folder to:

My Documents\My Mods\SpecialK\PlugIns\ThirdParty\ReShade

Then extract the contents of SK_TVFix.7z to the ToV directory. Boot the game and open up special k menu with ctrl-shift-backspace. Activate the microstutter fix, you should set a frame limit, and go to the plugins accordion to activate the reshade plugin files you just moved. Set reshade to "early". Reboot the game. You should be able to now open both the Reshade settings with Home (in some older cases it might be Shift+F2?) and also the Special K window with the Ctrl-Shift-Backspace.

The stutter fix mod is here https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/tag/sk_vesperia

Followed all your steps but now my game is crashing right after the company logos.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I told myself I wouldn't open the free DLC item packs and play this legit, but man, being able to craft some of these weapons at the start was too tempting.

Combine the synth ingredients with the 900k gald and the level boosts and it completely destroys the difficulty. It's so weird that they included that stuff but hey, this is like my fifth playthrough of this game so I'm gonna have some fun breaking it at least.