• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Dumb question for anyone playing with Japanese audio and English subs - I've just started the game and I'm playing with English audio, but I'm not a fan of Troy as Yuri (sorry...). I'm worried about missing dialogue during fast-paced scenes if I change languages. I'm used to watching subbed anime, but has anyone had trouble keeping up with the in-game subs? Really tempted to switch.

I can't speak for Vesperia, but I was fine playing Berseria in Japanese with subtitles.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question for anyone playing with Japanese audio and English subs - I've just started the game and I'm playing with English audio, but I'm not a fan of Troy as Yuri (sorry...). I'm worried about missing dialogue during fast-paced scenes if I change languages. I'm used to watching subbed anime, but has anyone had trouble keeping up with the in-game subs? Really tempted to switch.
Just keep in mind you might miss some in-battle audio since scenes occasionally show up in there. Also not sure if they subtitled the FMVs either.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So my game thinks I have two controllers connected, but I dont so one of my characters are stuck as 2p, Im on pc does anyone know how to fix this?

Madjaba

Banned
May 16, 2018
So my game thinks I have two controllers connected, but I dont so one of my characters are stuck as 2p, Im on pc does anyone know how to fix this?

If you're playing by yourself, go to Artes and make sure that every other characters are set to "Automatic" if they are set in Semi Auto or Manual it will act as if there's another player using the keyboard or a gamepad plugged to your PC.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I can't speak for Vesperia, but I was fine playing Berseria in Japanese with subtitles.
Just keep in mind you might miss some in-battle audio since scenes occasionally show up in there. Also not sure if they subtitled the FMVs either.
Ahhhhhhhhhh

I'll have to try it out. If I start noticing missed dialogue early on, I'm willing to restart, and if it's later I'll... just put up with it.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Okay yeah if anyone having trouble with that wolf boss in the hills, just free run around him worked for me and using wolf strike to put him down a lot. Also Item spam helped too lol.

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
I'm seeing all these people say it runs great in handheld mode, but I'm playing it exclusively like that it and for me it runs pretty bad when walking around the world map o.O

Am I just more sensitive to framedrops? It's so distracting that I'm honestly considering trading it in to GameStop and picking up the XB1 version to play on my X.

uh oh, i haven't made it to the world map yet!

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
This kinda sucks - anything related to Bonnie Pink's "Ring a Bell" is absent from the OST that came with the premium edition.

I thought it'd be the same as the 2008 release, but 4 tracks are missing (licencing issues?):

https://vgmdb.net/album/8767

Disc 2 / Track 25
Disc 4 / Tracks 13, 18 & 23

I'd initially hoped the intro "Ring a Bell" song would be on there, but hopes were shredded when I compared the track lists. And there's no actual list included in the package, which is bizarre. I guess they didn't want to spend money translating the Japanese titles of the original release.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Bought my Steam key from Razer Game Store for USD $31.99 since it is still cheaper than my regional pricing. Luckily it went well despite being my first checkout.

Looking forward to play it again as I poured nearly 120 hours on 360 version without any guides... will definitely use a guide this time so I don't missed out anything.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
This kinda sucks - anything related to Bonnie Pink's "Ring a Bell" is absent from the OST that came with the premium edition.

I thought it'd be the same as the 2008 release, but 4 tracks are missing (licencing issues?):

https://vgmdb.net/album/8767

Disc 2 / Track 25
Disc 4 / Tracks 13, 18 & 23

I'd initially hoped the intro "Ring a Bell" song would be on there, but hopes were shredded when I compared the track lists. And there's no actual list included in the package, which is bizarre. I guess they didn't want to spend money translating the Japanese titles of the original release.

Oh man, that really sucks. :(

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
is their any advantage or point to playing in manual mode? i keep trying it, and i'm accidentally jumping a lot due to the camera angles.

Trust me, eventually you gonna want to switch to manual. Semi-auto may seem like a newbie friendly option, but when in crucial moment your character decides that he isn't close enough and charge in to get slapped, and in general taking away your ability to proactively use spacing to your advantage, you gonna be like "who thought semi-auto is a good idea?"

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loved this game back in 08 and always wanted the enhanced version. How's the game on Switch so far?
Honestly not as bad as some people are making it out to be. Guess it comes down to personal preference. I mostly game on PC nowadays, so i can easily tell that the Switch version has some framerate hiccups here and there, but nothing unbearable. The celshaded artstyle really helps it stand out. My honest opinion is:
PC = best version for framerate/graphics
PS4 = best version if you don't have a PC/trophies if that's your thing
Switch = best version for portability

Hopefully a future patch or 2 will fix some of the framerate/pacing issues.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tried out special k, but now I cant set my dsr factors like before. Where is the help forum for it?

Nevermind, just uninstalled it. Don't think I need it anyway right now.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ gattuso. Got him on my second try but basically threw my whole inventory in the process, lol.

Might as well roll the credits now.

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
Trust me, eventually you gonna want to switch to manual. Semi-auto may seem like a newbie friendly option, but when in crucial moment your character decides that he isn't close enough and charge in to get slapped, and in general taking away your ability to proactively use spacing to your advantage, you gonna be like "who thought semi-auto is a good idea?"

wooooooooow, i think i'll just play in manual and get used to it. thanks for the tip!

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Aaaaah I enjoyed it so much in 2008. Finished it in 25 hours. Good times.
Hope you all have a blast playing it.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, I had to change to Japanese voices. Troy Baker's Yuri is iconic, but the switches between the two actors was too distracting for me.

Yuri comes off differently in Japanese, but I like it. A slightly different take on the character.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to throw in a random comment here for those unfamiliar, that Vesperia's combat changes considerably as you progress through the game and unlock more skill links and fatal strikes, etc. It never reaches the same fluidity as something like Berseria, but combat in hour 3 is not really indicative of what the game plays like throughout.

And yes Gattuso has always been a stupid difficulty spike haha. One of the hardest in the game relative to player level.

Last edited:

alcabcucu

Nov 12, 2017
You won't notice anything strange if yer not someone that pays attention to that sort of stuff. It runs fine

I do not agree. I usually do not pay attention to this sort of issues, but this is definitively a very bad port, at least until they release a patch that fixes all these annoying technical issues. Which basically are framerate instability outside combats, and the stuttering that comes because of it.

Example: I'm at Halure town right now. When you are inside the inn, or in the mayor's house, the game runs at a wonderful framerate (most probably 60fps). But when you get out of the buildings, the contrast is brutal. Not only is the framerate drop, but the stuttering what annoys me.

I hope they release a patch to solve this issues as soon as possible.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I do not agree. I usually do not pay attention to this sort of issues, but this is definitively a very bad port, at least until they release a patch that fixes all these annoying technical issues. Which basically are framerate instability outside combats, and the stuttering that comes because of it.

Example: I'm at Halure town right now. When you are inside the inn, or in the mayor's house, the game runs at a wonderful framerate (most probably 60fps). But when you get out of the buildings, the contrast is brutal. Not only is the framerate drop, but the stuttering what annoys me.

I hope they release a patch to solve this issues as soon as possible.
I guess the word should be sensetive then. I noticed it too at the beginning but nothing that makes the game worse. It's outside combat there where you're only running around exploring. Also I go back and forth with gens so that may be also why I dont find it much of an issue

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that tear in my party?

thSWaR0r.jpg

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Did you skip through everything?

I'm pretty sure I did secondary stuff, but not all of them. It was a long time ago so I can't be certain. I have always been "fast-paced" when playing games without realizing it. But eh, i genuinely enjoyed it, that's the main thing !

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I see everyone talking favorably about Berseria's combat in relation to Vesperia's and as someone who is currently playing both simultaneously, I just don't get it.

I mean, yes Berseria's combat is snappy and fast but I'm 30 hours in and I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Granted, I stepped away from the game for about a year at about hour 20, so I'm sure I forgot most of the nuances but I never felt comfortable with the combat in that game.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I really enjoy the Japanese voices but how often does it happen that there is talking without subtitles in a fight? I maybe have to switch back because of that. :/

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see everyone talking favorably about Berseria's combat in relation to Vesperia's and as someone who is currently playing both simultaneously, I just don't get it.

I mean, yes Berseria's combat is snappy and fast but I'm 30 hours in and I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Granted, I stepped away from the game for about a year at about hour 20, so I'm sure I forgot most of the nuances but I never felt comfortable with the combat in that game.
Berserias combat is very confusing. I never figured that one out.

Vesperias is superior

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

I haven't gotten a chance to pop in Vesperia though I picked it up yesterday, will start today, but Berseria is fast/snappy as stated but it has a serious case of button mashing. Yet at the same time the game tries to go too in depth with the systems. Mashing won't get you through every fight but will get you through a lot, particularly normal encounters. It eventually got boring, I didn't feel like even completing the EX dungeon, or cameo fight on Hard or whatever difficulty I was at just because the combat wasn't pushing me anymore and the level design is bad.

Love Berseria for its story/cast/writing, one of the best in JRPGs ever but I didn't think Berseria or Zestiria had particularly memorable battle systems. Last Tales I enjoyed a lot with combat is Xillia 2. Side note but also part of the reason, they need to bring back air combat.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vesperia is so good. It is even better than i remember it. Loving every minut of this.

I am really really hoping ToV2 gets announced at Tales fest this june.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I won't get the game until Monday.

DPD don't deliver on Saturdays unless you pay extra and I doubt Namco did. It will be next weekend before I get a change to play it. I waited 10 years another week won't kill me.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vesperia's combat is just...slow. And incredibly clunky on top of that, since it's from the early 3D combat days where they still didn't know how to do free run properly. It moves at like 1/4 of the speed of something like Berseria. And it's not the methodical kind of deliberate slowness. It's just Tales of- combat. Only very simple, clunky, and reaaaally slow. Also it's still TP trash which is a system that never served the kind of combat they are going for in these games well.

Even if you don't get all of the mechanics (and these are like, 60 hour games, meaty combat mechanics means you always have new stuff to learn), the fluidity and pace of combat is obviously so much better in later games.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Happened to go shopping in the otaku district of Nagoya, man this game was sold out everywhere. Then again it was mostly smaller shops that don't specialize in games persay, but still. Good for Tales.

Oct 29, 2017
How's the performance/resolution on the Switch version?

I'm expecting a botch job from Namco here (Switch should be eating this game for breakfast, even in handheld mode), but would be happy to hear otherwise!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Vesperia's combat is just...slow. And incredibly clunky on top of that, since it's from the early 3D combat days where they still didn't know how to do free run properly. It moves at like 1/4 of the speed of something like Berseria. And it's not the methodical kind of deliberate slowness. It's just Tales of- combat. Only very simple, clunky, and reaaaally slow. Also it's still TP trash which is a system that never served the kind of combat they are going for in these games well.

Even if you don't get all of the mechanics (and these are like, 60 hour games, meaty combat mechanics means you always have new stuff to learn), the fluidity and pace of combat is obviously so much better in later games.
Team Destiny always delivered significantly better combat.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

Eh, Berseria is (in theory) just an evolution of Graces F's system.

Martial Arts are your Alpha-Arte equivalent in Graces in terms of how you can set them up in combo hits, and is essentially a more flashy version of mashing the attack button in Vesperia. Vesperia, Abyss, and Symphonia were all "use 3-7 normal hits, combo into arte, maybe combo into better arte, repeat." Even Xillia 1 and 2 does this. Zestiria and Berseria kind of ditches the "use 3-7 normal hits" part of the equation and folds in artes with different elemental properties, weaknesses, etc into your main source of damage.

I honestly think Berseria is way better, because going back to Vesperia made me realize that the TP system isn't great, and the "stunlock enemy with normal hits into artes" is kind of a boring way to do combat in a 3D open field.

Of course, Graces F's battle system beats the brakes out of any of these games so badly that it's not even funny

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Vesperia was the best of its time. I still remember it being amazing after you get more tools. Fatal strikes, huge combos, the huge variety of artes all the characters have, etc.

I hope this remaster sells well. Only because I love the game.

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with Vesperia's combat is that it does start out slow and clunky, until you start unlocking skills that let you chain artes and you end up decimating everything on the battlefield. As for Berseria I never got the feeling that I ever understood how the combat actually worked and just button-mashed my way to victory for the whole game.

I just got to the first real ps3 only substantial content:
On 360 you just entered Barbos tavern and that was it but now you need to go through a not too lengthy sewer dungeon with some backstory as to how the guild union was found, and it was actually a pretty neat slice of world building.
On OG Vesperia the Union was just a thing that existed and that was it.

And also I finally got to play as Flynn, I already saw a ton of videos of the ps3 version so I already knew that I was going to like him, but after having played as him I can't wait until I actually get him permanently (at the end of the game but oh well).