• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Is secret missions really important to do? Not doing them.

You got bonus grade and doing them all nets you a event and costume. Ultimately they're just an annoying pain and the remaster lets you redo the Secret Mission fights anyway so there's no point in stressing out about them until you're in the post-game or whatever.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Just reached Dahngrest and wow, its music track is an absolute bop.

The rest of the OST so far is fine but this track is so far above the rest. It really reminds me of Sakuraba's work on Baiten Kaitos tbh.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Patty is a whole lot of fun in battle. Breathing a little fresh air into the game right as I'm starting to get tired of it.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Going through this game again, I don't think I can agree that the soundtrack is "boppin". It's kind of...standard? It's not bad, but I'm not rocking out to any of the tracks. Out of the Tales games I have played, I think the only soundtracks that have stood out in any way were Destiny 2, Rebirth, Symphonia and Legendia. I cannot even envision any of the tracks from Graces to Berseria in my head.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I completely forgot about this part of the map before the desert area that is pretty much identical to the Barona Catacombs in Graces.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
playing on hard but used the material DLC. Ashamed of how poorly I've done on some of these fights so far.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Going through this game again, I don't think I can agree that the soundtrack is "boppin". It's kind of...standard? It's not bad, but I'm not rocking out to any of the tracks. Out of the Tales games I have played, I think the only soundtracks that have stood out in any way were Destiny 2, Rebirth, Symphonia and Legendia. I cannot even envision any of the tracks from Graces to Berseria in my head.
It's alright. Dahngrest's theme is pretty god, and a majority of the battle themes are inoffensive. But yeah, I don't think any Tales game is touching the consecutive triple threat of Symphonia, Rebirth and Legendia's OSTs.

I think my main issue with Vesperia's battle themes is that they're a little too... relaxed, I guess? There's really only three battle themes I'd really say are really energetic in Vesperia: The Giganto Monster theme (Which got a WAY better arrangement in Zestiria), the cameo battle theme and the theme for one of the new optional bosses late in the game (Not sure if it's spoilers mentioning the boss' name, so I'll just leave it at that)

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I love "The Wise One", the Entelexeia battle theme. It only plays in like 3 places though. But imo it really hits you the first time it plays.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch version of this is sold out in a bunch of places locally here. Weird.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Is the combat supposed to feel a little stiff early on? Like, I do my basic combo but then I'm open to attack sometimes before I can block. I seem to get hit a lot when there are multiple enemies on screen, too. Does it get a little more fluid as more skills and combos open up or is it intentionally designed like that so it still has that back and forth damage between you and your opponent like a typical turn based JRPG would have?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the combat supposed to feel a little stiff early on? Like, I do my basic combo but then I'm open to attack sometimes before I can block. I seem to get hit a lot when there are multiple enemies on screen, too. Does it get a little more fluid as more skills and combos open up or is it intentionally designed like that so it still has that back and forth damage between you and your opponent like a typical turn based JRPG would have?

Pretty much. The game gradually unveils new mechanics as you get further into it, and you'll eventually learn how to be a combo fiend.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't quite get this one particular arcane arte of Yuri which he pushes forward (Crushing Eagle?). With artes chaining skill equipped, this arcane arte hits like a truck. Like, astronomically way more damage than any other arte. For example, after Azure Edge, the next arcane arte chain would only deal like 3k damage. But with Crushing Eagle as the end of the combo, it can deal up to 15k damage.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This game has been giving me an overwhelming feeling of nostalgia despite the fact that I only played like 10 hours of the original 360 game about 4 years ago and the only thing I remember about it is
Karol dressing up like a girl to woo a guard or something.

The magic of the JRPG has hit me really strong with this game. It really takes me back to when I was a kid and had the time to get immersed in the game world. It's an entirely different feeling than what I get from a modern JRPG like Persona 5. It's cool!

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm at Act 2 at Nordopolis. Does the pacing and story get any better anytime soon?
What's your issue with the pacing? Too much talk?

If so, I have bad news for you. It'll only get worse the further you progress. There's always this phase in the story where your group discuss the plot and you, as Yuri, has to talk to everybody who's scattered around the town to trigger a cutscene, one by one. This kinda gets tiring after a while.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if DF is going to do an analysis on this game? Still not clear if there are Pro/X Enhancements and would like to know how performance is.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
In the sense that the plot becomes more developed yes, but Vesperia continues as is for most if not all of the game.
Yeah, the plot is basically going nowhere at this point. I know it's gotta pick up but geez.
What's your issue with the pacing? Too much talk?

If so, I have bad news for you. It'll only get worse the further you progress. There's always this phase in the story where your group discuss the plot and you, as Yuri, has to talk to everybody who's scattered around the town to trigger a cutscene, one by one. This kinda gets tiring after a while.
Too much talk and most of it not really amounting to real plot development. And yeah, it all being split over several cutscenes while you have to walk around town trying to trigger the next one. And many of the characters are cliched and/or annoying. This whole "guild" stuff seems superfluous to me and pointless to the overarching plot.

Oh well. It's not just the talking, there's other issues I have as well, gameplay-wise. No fast travel and making you re-walk through dungeons to get from place to place with dozens of TIMED side quests (most of which are not interesting in the least). Being cut off from getting materials you need for weapon crafting because they won't let you revisit a dungeon (I assume I can get the materials later at some point... long after the weapons are useful for anything other than putting the member on reserve so they can learn the skills). Dungeons are mostly boring. Fuck flying enemies. Fuck enemies beelining you regardless of level.

Like the only QOL thing the game has is that it's usually quite easy to get the materials you need when you fight an enemy; the drop rates are quite high and you'll often get more than 1 of a material and multiple materials per fight. The problem is getting to the enemy or even having access in the first place.

I've been burnt out on the Tales series, but I'd heard so many good things about this one and the fact that it's a decade old made me think it might be up my alley. Unfortunately it seems like it's still got many of the things I don't like about the series.

I'll probably play for a while longer at least but I dunno about finishing. Maybe I need to take a break for a few days.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Should I be buying armor and weapons at shops anytime they boost my stats or do it more intermittently? Or does better stuff just drop as loot from monsters and chests? I'm always paranoid wasting money in RPGs. lol

Also, are those presents in the extra items tab the things people say ruin the game because they make you overpowered? Should I just avoid them completely for my first playthrough?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should I be buying armor and weapons at shops anytime they boost my stats or do it more intermittently? Or does better stuff just drop as loot from monsters and chests? I'm always paranoid wasting money in RPGs. lol

What you want to focus on when buying or synthing new gear is what abilities they give you.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Just checking, but you learn weapon skills as long as you have the weapon equipped during a fight right? Doesn't have any special catch like needing to use only the normal attack for it to register?

Repede's taking awhile to learn this item thrower skill.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just checking, but you learn weapon skills as long as you have the weapon equipped during a fight right? Doesn't have any special catch like needing to use only the normal attack for it to register?

Repede's taking awhile to learn this item thrower skill.

Yep. The characters don't even need to participate in battles to learn abilities.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

Also, are those presents in the extra items tab the things people say ruin the game because they make you overpowered? Should I just avoid them completely for my first playthrough?
You might find a piece of armor in a dungeon every now and then but buy and synth weapons for the skills.
I can't stress the latter enough, SYNTH weapons
It's the only way to get subweapons (aside from a random reward from a quest every now and then)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Oh so just equip them, got it.

I can imagine it's going to be pretty expensive buying weapons from shops later on for their skills.
Yeah, later on there will be more weapons and skills to learn, and it can get very expensive or just annoying to gather the mats to synth. And you'll need to decide what kind of type/role development for each character. For example, Estelle can learn both battle and magic artes, but does she really need both? If her role in your party is just a support/healer, you can simply ignore weapons with battle skills for her. It can get pretty grindy too if you want to learn every skill for everyone, as you'd come accross new weapons every now and then.

Switch version or PC version?
Portability, Switch. Fidelity and performance, PC.