• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I was also watching a scene yesterday where Flynn is talking to Yuri and he says "Yuri and his friends," and it was just really awkward, as if Yuri wasn't in the room, I was confused lmao.

Anyway...I thought I was at the end of Act II at 30 hours, but there's a lot at the end. I'm at 35 hours and still haven't finished the Act! I'm still enjoying this game a lot though. Already better than both Xillia games imo. Not sure how it'll stack up with Symphonia, Abyss, and Berseria by the end though.

Although I'm not a big Jude fan and his contrived love for Millia was so childishly written, I think I enjoyed Jude's and Luger's stories more than I am Vesperia.

I also may be just getting annoyed at all the difficulty spikes in Vesperia that is forcing me to back track through levels multiple times in order to beat the boss. It's not as bad as it is disruptive in the flow in the story, especially when my play times are far apart from one another...

I'm enjoying Vesperia and it's full of the typical Tales charm, however, I'm starting to feel that it was kind of overrated. I do liek Yuri though. It's nice to have a more "adult" character in the lead role. Typically, you would
see someone like Karol running the show.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
End of Act 2 spoilers
Omg at Sodia stabbing Yuri on top of Zaude. I just googled it, and this is never really expanded on huh? Didn't see that coming..

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
So I got this game (First Tales game too) on Switch due to you guys saying how good it was and after 50 hours, I just finished the story last night. I have to say I really enjoyed it and now I feel empty lol.

The story itself wasn't something insanely amazing however, I was honestly surprised how many surprises, twists and turns there were. Plus, I was also amazed with how good the world building and politics in this game has, including the lore. In addition, I really loved the characters, banters and skit. I just wish there was more clouser at the ending as I'm not satisfied enough.

As for gameplay, it was quite solid, although really slow and hard at the start, it picked up fast and before I knew it, I was spamming Mystic artes which I loved.

Voice Acting was also solid minus few things here and there which also enhanced the great characters in this game. The soundtrack was also amazing!

I think it's safe to say I'm a big fan of this game and maybe the franchise too, I just hope Bandai ports other Tales onto the Switch.
Overall, I'd give Tales of Vesperia a solid 8/10.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
So I just used all the boosters and add-ons that had been sitting in my items since launch that I had forgotten about. Did that just disable trophies from popping up at the same time?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I'm 10 hours in and contemplate to simply abort this. I can endure the most shitty combat systems, but this is on another level. It's so utterly clunky and unresponsive. Holy shit man, the game feels like it's actively working against you enjoying it. I mean, I even have fun playing 16 bit jrpgs where all you do is do make auto-attack, but this forced, yet very, very, very slow rhythm is driving me nuts.

I'm not sure if I can endure potentially 80 hours more of this. I really dig the main character and that you have a world map, but that's about it so far. I've been looking forward to this for years and I'm very disappointed. It plays nothing like GOAT-combat-system Tales of Graces F.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 10 hours in and contemplate to simply abort this. I can endure the most shitty combat systems, but this is on another level. It's so utterly clunky and unresponsive. Holy shit man, the game feels like it's actively working against you enjoying it. I mean, I even have fun playing 16 bit jrpgs where all you do is do make auto-attack, but this forced, yet very, very, very slow rhythm is driving me nuts.

I'm not sure if I can endure potentially 80 hours more of this. I really dig the main character and that you have a world map, but that's about it so far. I've been looking forward to this for years and I'm very disappointed. It plays nothing like GOAT-combat-system Tales of Graces F.
Graces F only had it's combat system going for it though. Vesperia has a pretty great story as far as Tales games go. If you're not feeling the combat now though, it doesn't change, so probably just drop it.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Graces F only had it's combat system going for it though. Vesperia has a pretty great story as far as Tales games go. If you're not feeling the combat now though, it doesn't change, so probably just drop it.
I dunno, I could endure Tales of Graces F's atrocious story because I could focus on the combat and played it for over 110 hours. But the other way around doesn't seem to work for me, so it'll probably for the best. I just questioned my life choices, when I was chasing after a mage who was running away while trying to dodge 2 thieves randomly stun locking me and my teammates doing absolutely nothing for 2 minutes straight.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I could endure Tales of Graces F's atrocious story because I could focus on the combat and played it for over 110 hours. But the other way around doesn't seem to work for me, so it'll probably for the best. I just questioned my life choices, when I was chasing after a mage who was running away while trying to dodge 2 thieves randomly stun locking me and my teammates doing absolutely nothing for 2 minutes straight.

Thanks for the heads up.
I've actually only played Vesperia multiplayer, so I guess I never considered bad AI could really hurt the game. If that's your main issue and you ever get a chance, playing with 3 people and using that 4th AI character as a healer on demand/item thrower is a ton of fun.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The way the dub handles Yuri is just awful. They should have either gotten Troy Baker back or had Grant George rerecord all of Yuri's lines. This switching between them (particularly when it happens in the same scene) is really jarring.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if these are spoilers or not but just general questions since I never played the 360 version.

So Patty didn't exist AT ALL in the 360 version? I feel like so many scenes involve her in the second half of the game so imagining it without her is weird. Also was Flynn playable in the 360 version?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if these are spoilers or not but just general questions since I never played the 360 version.

So Patty didn't exist AT ALL in the 360 version? I feel like so many scenes involve her in the second half of the game so imagining it without her is weird. Also was Flynn playable in the 360 version?

Patty was referenced once in the 360 version, but otherwise didn't appear at all.

Flynn was playable in one fight in the 360 version, IIRC.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
Flynn used to join your party temporarily in the 360 version, with a limited moveset, in the same places as he does in the PS3/DE version. He just didn't join permanently, and some scenes with his subordinates had him instead.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I see. God I hate how many missables there are in this game. I didn't use a guide for like 75% of the game and now that I'm right before the final dungeon I realized how many things I missed. I don't recall Symphonia or Abyss having this many missables, but I haven't played them in a long time so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I guess down the line I'll do an NG+ with a guide the whole way through.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I see. God I hate how many missables there are in this game. I didn't use a guide for like 75% of the game and now that I'm right before the final dungeon I realized how many things I missed. I don't recall Symphonia or Abyss having this many missables, but I haven't played them in a long time so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I guess down the line I'll do an NG+ with a guide the whole way through.
Symphonia and Abyss are even worst with missables.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I should ho back and finish Symphonia at some point. I think I dropped it at the lightning tower because I got sidetracked by other stuff.

In either case, if tgey don't make the missables obvious to the player, then it's being done wrong, imo.

Backtracking to a certain city to talk to a certain npc at a certain time that you have no idea exists just to get additional story/character info is just not good.

But, but, but there's sooooooo much content, lol

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll crosspost this from the Tales general thread:
I just finished ToV for the first time! I never had a 360 so I picked it up on Switch a few months ago and finally got around to beating it. Final time was around 59 hours...but I definitely did less than half the sidequests.
I thought the characters were pretty good (moreso Yuri than anyone else, but I liked Judith too.) The battle system definitely starts off slow but it was fun linking all the artes by the latter parts of the game. Music was standard fare for the Tales series but "Fury Sparks" is up there with "Fatalize" for me now.

Story was decent? A lot of people say it jumps the shark in the third act but I had a feeling it was going to turn into some scenario like that. The game feels like you're always chasing someone around in the first two acts haha. I also feel there are so many situations where you stay at an inn and have an evening talk...or a scene where you have to individually talk to every party member, not really negative but interesting to notice. I think I liked the cast dynamic more in Berseria compared to this though.

Not sure where it ranks in the Tales series for me, of course near the top though. I have played Symphonia and Abyss (is this still only on the PS2 or the 3DS?) in so long, they were always near the top for me but I think I just need to replay them to see where they fit in my rankings today. All the Team Symphonia games + Berseria are my favorites though.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is that OP platform comparison table still accurate? Or does the Xbox One and One X version run at 60 fps all the time (I've seen videos online where the Xbox version runs at 60 even outside battles).

I'm guessing no X enchancement?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I should ho back and finish Symphonia at some point. I think I dropped it at the lightning tower because I got sidetracked by other stuff.

In either case, if tgey don't make the missables obvious to the player, then it's being done wrong, imo.

Backtracking to a certain city to talk to a certain npc at a certain time that you have no idea exists just to get additional story/character info is just not good.

But, but, but there's sooooooo much content, lol
Most of the missables in Vesperia I don't mind.

The fact that a large chunk of the conversations with Duke in the first half of the game are missable... well that's just dumb.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat Sekiro comfortably but I can't beat the first boss in this game lmao. How do I avoid getting hit after attacking? Apparently, I'm supposed to interrupt my combo with free walk, but my character still stands too long, so the boss always gets his hits in and I got only one healing apple. How can I interrupt my combo like this guy does at 2:02?

My first impression of the game is very good actually. I like it more than I thought.

edit: Beat the guy and it was very hard, holy crap.

Last edited:

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
edit: Beat the guy and it was very hard, holy crap.

The first phase of that battle are still fine but the second phase does get annoying if you're ill equipped with healing items right before the battle.

Not to forget that the Secret Mission is to ensure Estelle's don't get damaged a lot but my advice is to skip Secret Mission as you can revisit major boss battles during late game.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you guys recommend a missables guide that spoils as little as possible?

edit: This one looks good. Do you recommend playing with a guide? I heard the game's got many missables.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I decided to give Vesperia another shot. I played a chunk of it before on the 360 many moons ago, but I quit because I wasn't feeling the cast and I was starting to get burnt out on Team Symphonia. Now that I've had some distance from it and with the convenience of a remaster, I thought to give it another whirl. With easy pick-up-and-play, I've managed to squeeze in plenty of short sessions, and already caught up to where I quit before in a fraction of the time.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Can you guys recommend a missables guide that spoils as little as possible?

edit: This one looks good. Do you recommend playing with a guide? I heard the game's got many missables.

Time to pimp my missables guide which is based on the guide that you link: https://hueyyeng.github.io/VesperiaGuide/

I already ran through the entire guide and noted down on missables that are vague in Kouli's guide. There is spoiler-free version too which I need to update for Act 3 but I definitely recommend you to play with a guide.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I speed up the camera sensitivity on the world map? It's killing me. Being able to center the cam with R3 ain't good enough. Oftentimes it's not the direction I'm walking towards.

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Can I speed up the camera sensitivity on the world map? It's killing me. Being able to center the cam with R3 ain't good enough. Oftentimes it's not the direction I'm walking towards.

Unfortunately the only way to have faster camera speed on the world map is on the PC with mouse keyboard control.

Finally in the last area, but I can't figure out how to get to the top floor..

The final dungeon looks very samey in a lot of areas but have you taken the side stairs heading all the way to the bottom (or it is up)? It'll be sometime before you can activate the lift (read: just as you're about to reach the final boss).

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
OK, I finally finished this bad boy.

So many loose ends with the story as is stood, which leads me to ask if there was a sequel planned, or did they leave it wide open on purpose?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I dont know what it was but the game felt boring to me for like the first 20 hours. It just doesnt go anywhere and everything just feels kind of directionless in the beginning and beside that the crew talks waaaaaay too much nonsense. Like this game tries to make us listen to every single possible conversation of theirs even the most boring ones.

I was very dissapointed with the game untill the death of belius duce. It really picks up alot after that. I cant wait to continue playing now. Am at the flying city

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The way the music has grown on me of this game is something that doesn't happen often anymore. The calmer songs espcially. Been listening to this lately

tauke

Oct 25, 2017
Country of 2020+10
Sure, but can I see the exact number I got?

Also, am I missing out on much by skipping 80-90% of the skits? I just can't be bothered to read so much in a video game.

I'm afraid there is no way to see the exact number of titles you have. This is where a title guide will come in handy.

As for skits, it is mostly there to develop the relationship of the party members and also bits of backstory. You can always replay the skit when you reached Act 3 as there will be a special place where you can speak to an NPC to see every skits in the game excluding the one you haven't unlock yet.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
this game is pretty boring. i'm about five hours in and the battle system isn't super interesting yet and the story hasn't gripped me outside of some nice characters (specifically rita) and good voice acting (everyone).

still leagues ahead of red dead redemption 2 which i tried to jump into again last night. if i had one day left to live i think i'd spend it playing that game because every minute in rdr2 feels like a fucking eternity.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long does it take to rush through the game on NG+? It looks like I gotta finish it once more than necessary, because I missed identifying some early bosses. I'm 15h into the game - am I better off restarting or not? If I can rush through the game in less than 15h later on, it's probably not worth restarting.

edit: Nevermind, this makes zero sense. I can just analyse the missing bosses in the necessary speed run.

Last edited:

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Was it though? It left soooo many openings,
Yeah i'm a simple man. I just like how everyone came to an understanding and loved the final boss which was very challenging with my builds. I liked the battle a lot. Vesperia has one upped itself above symphonia for me. The first 20 hours are dull as heck in this game though.