• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Slightly off topic but did they confirm any additional features for the Definite Edition?

Itching to get this on the Switch but I'd like to know if it's just bumped up resolution.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense for Switch and I know it's been on Steam before. I will be curious of the platform splits.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Man people have been wanting for them to port this for years.

And they release it the month RE2 and KH3 come out.

Yeah... Sorry but I have to pass :/ . At least they had my original 360 sale but still.

Yeah I am going to be playing KH3 that month.

How long is ToV maybe I could beat it before KH3. But this is probably not realistic/feasible for me

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Slightly off topic but did they confirm any additional features for the Definite Edition?

Itching to get this on the Switch but I'd like to know if it's just bumped up resolution.
The game contains all DLC costumes and has the Japan exclusive characters and story segments that were in the PS3 version. In terms of graphics, it seems to just be a resolution upgrade for the most part.

Edit: This too:
Not just additional story and character but also new dungeon and weapons and arts

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
With the PS4 selling less than the PS3 that was inevitable. Switch is really going to be Tales's saving grace so going to it was always a given. Xbox isn't going to help that drop though.

It really doesn't have anything to do with the PS4. Three out of the four games on that chart either aren't on the PS4 or were released well after the initial PS3 release. Last generation the series started out on the 360 with Vesperia and then the Wii with Graces. Then both received upgraded ports on the PS3 that performed even better than the original releases. Both games are highly regarded by fans. So there was a lot of hype for the release of Xillia on the PS3 would be the first game that generation made for the platform rather than being a port. While the game wasn't bad by any means, some felt it was disappointing compared to the games it followed. Then Xillia 2 launched and reused a lot of assets from the first game. That on top of it being a direct sequel to a game that people weren't particularly attached to in the first place. Then came Zestiria which received a ton of backlash due to a controversial decision that NAMCO made with it. And finally you have Berseria, which is awesome. But it had to follow up games that were already doing harm to the brand on top of Berseria being a prequel to Zestiria, which already had a ton of baggage.

While Berseria didn't do big numbers like a Xillia, it at least stopped the bleeding in terms of the actual games being hit with constant criticism. They're really in rebuilding mode for the series right now. And Vesperia: DE is another step in that rebuilding process since it's a fan favorite entry. There's a lot riding on whatever they're going to do with that next entry.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care about them going multiplatform on Tales Of series as long as I getvto play them on Playstation platforms.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm a bit irritated that Vesperia was the last Tales of game that was multiplatform. I loved that game and with the "definitive edition" that would give us two more characters, that made me all the happier to actually consider playing that game again. But yeah, after that one though, it was purely exclusive to one platform from there going forward.

Did Vesperia do that poorly on Xbox 360 sales that they didn't want to retread there again or something? Well regardless, I'm just glad that Vesperia will be on all platforms in a few weeks.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Honestly, I'm a bit irritated that Vesperia was the last Tales of game that was multiplatform. I loved that game and with the "definitive edition" that would give us two more characters, that made me all the happier to actually consider playing that game again. But yeah, after that one though, it was purely exclusive to one platform from there going forward.

Did Vesperia do that poorly on Xbox 360 sales that they didn't want to retread there again or something? Well regardless, I'm just glad that Vesperia will be on all platforms in a few weeks.
They came out after Vesperia to say that 'the future of Tales is on Playstation'. Games didn't light the charts on fire on either the 360, the 3DS, or the Wii (although the 3DS game did quite well in the west, relatively speaking, and the Wii games were turds, either technically (Graces) or in terms of overall quality (Symphonia 2) ).

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
They came out after Vesperia to say that 'the future of Tales is on Playstation'. Games didn't light the charts on fire on either the 360, the 3DS, or the Wii (although the 3DS game did quite well in the west, relatively speaking, and the Wii games were turds, either technically (Graces) or in terms of overall quality (Symphonia 2) ).

Yeah... Kind of figured as much... Still, when a game goes exclusive to one console, it does kind of shut the door on those who play on a specific platform. Again though, I hope it does well so the series can go multiplatform again.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah... Kind of figured as much... Still, when a game goes exclusive to one console, it does kind of shut the door on those who play on a specific platform. Again though, I hope it does well so the series can go multiplatform again.
I think Switch definitely will sell well considering so many JRPGs before have found strong successes on the platform, and by their own comments Steam is doing very well, too. That only leaves XB1, for which we don't have too much precedence, but its similarity in terms of architecture should make it more likely than it was when the XB360 and PS3 were around, siince developing for those two systems was more differentiated than it is for PS4 and XB1. Even niche titles like Resonance Refrain sometimes have an XB1 sku, so I feel Tales, which is one of the more successful JRPG series around, should be able to afford the XB1 sku.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game contains all DLC costumes and has the Japan exclusive characters and story segments that were in the PS3 version. In terms of graphics, it seems to just be a resolution upgrade for the most part.
Not just additional story and character but also new dungeon and weapons and arts

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think Switch definitely will sell well considering so many JRPGs before have found strong successes on the platform, and by their own comments Steam is doing very well, too. That only leaves XB1, for which we don't have too much precedence, but its similarity in terms of architecture should make it more likely than it was when the XB360 and PS3 were around, siince developing for those two systems was more differentiated than it is for PS4 and XB1. Even niche titles like Resonance Refrain sometimes have an XB1 sku, so I feel Tales, which is one of the more successful JRPG series around, should be able to afford the XB1 sku.
XBO likely brings in enough sales to keep the ports coming. Bigger Japanese publishers like Sega, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Square Enix, Konami and Koei Tecmo keep doing ports even if only for the west sometimes. If you have the bandwidth to handle additional porting it makes sense.

ShotyMcFat

Oct 29, 2017
I loved vesperia, and I really wished the rest of the tales of series was on Xbox, so hearing this pleases me.

I do hope they consider rerelease the old games aswell similar to what square Enix is doing with final fantasy.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
the first post Beseria game is probably well into development. an original title would be a better barometer than a port of a 10 year old game.
You'd think so but you'd also have expected to see it by now too. Higuchi taking time from Smash to help oversee Vesperia R makes me suspect more emphasis might be placed on this title than the usual Tales port/remaster.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, do you think Namco Bandai would give a high budget for one of their IPs?
for Tales? no

You'd think so but you'd also have expected to see it by now too. Higuchi taking time from Smash to help oversee Vesperia R makes me suspect more emphasis might be placed on this title than the usual Tales port/remaster.
I take the lack of the next tales game as them putting more effort into the game. call it wishful thinking, but I think they want the next game to be more impactful for the series.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
As long as Switch doesn't halt the technical advances of the series then great. I dont think it will now but what about 3-4 years from now? Its a mid-low budget series but developing a game from scratch with ps5/pc in mind 3 years from now would've been a total different game but now going forward they might have to keep switch in mind too. But maybe tales of need the switch to survive going forward so it is what it is. Im happy that more people get to play the series but the tech nerd in me is not that thrilled.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
As long as Switch doesn't halt the technical advances of the series then great. I dont think it will now but what about 3-4 years from now? Its a mid-low budget series but developing a game from scratch with ps5/pc in mind 3 years from now would've been a total different game but now going forward they might have to keep switch in mind too. But maybe tales of need the switch to survive going forward so it is what it is. Im happy that more people get to play the series but the tech nerd in me is not that thrilled.

I see your point but ever since Xillia all the way up to Berseria they had to keep the PS3 in mind when developing mainline titles.
Even if they have to keep the Switch in mind as the lowest common denominator for the next 3 - 4 years, it should be a huge jump in terms of what they can target towards graphically.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like the visual quality of the series has had more to do with the budget that goes into art and asset creation rather than from the technical capabilities of the engine. That's why Vesperia is a much better looking game than Xillia.

If supporting the Switch results in higher sales and more budget, I think we'll get better looking games, even if things like the lighting system or polygon counts are nothing to write home about.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope this also means they're using Vesperia as a backbone for what future Tales games will be like. Xillia, Zesteria, and Berseria are not the road I want any more Tales games to travel. I want them to go back to the style of Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the Xbox version not having decent 1X support (like Pro) from that press release is a miscommunication or it gets updated quickly.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I don't think Zestiria would have done that much better even it hadn't followed up Berseria. This series has always had trouble maintaining any sort of growth that has occurred from extraordinary circumstances.

Here's a look at the entire series from Abyss onwards. I've excluded the portable games, because Tales has always been a console-centric series.

F9fJeVP.png

• Abyss sold extremely well, following which Symphonia 2 sold like crap. The latter reviewed poorly even in Japan.

• Vesperia was given a decent budget by Microsoft and was a legitimately high quality game. The PS3 version did reasonably well.

• Following it, Graces sold like crap, again owing to quality issues / bugs. The ironed-out PS3 release did better, but lower than Vesperia.

• Graces was followed by Xillia, which sold well owing to it tying into a major 15th anniversary celebration of Tales with tons of marketing.

Namco have yet to prove that they can maintain any sort of consistency with Tales in Japan. Each spike is immediately followed by the games coming after suffering from quality issues, which inevitably leads to a decline in sales.

The Western market has been this series' saviour, but the situation in Japan could have been avoided to a degree, had Namco actually made an effort with their Tales releases on Wii, DS, and 3DS.

Wii started with a game that reviewed poorly, and then followed up with Graces, which was even poorer. DS kicked off with Tempest (yep), then Innocence, and then finally Hearts (the legitimately good one, but by this point nobody cared). And 3DS only got a port of Abyss.

There's a mix of legitimate data and analysis with some half truths/takes on what/why some things happened there

- "Symphonia 2" doesn't exist, there's a game called Symphonia Ratatoskr no Kishi/Dawn of the New World that was indeed released on Wii and happened after the events of Symphonia but it was never named that way, for good reasons because it was from the start considered as a spin-off and had staff/budget/marketing alocated as such.
And it's not nitpicking when we have two others clear examples in the series, Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon on GB (and not Tales of Phantasia 2 despite its events unfolding after the original Tales of Phantasia) which was a spin-off and Tales of Destiny 2 which was a full fledged sequel and mothership title on PS2.

- The Vesperia/Microsoft deal thing still lack any kind of credible source, while it's likely there was some involvement we litterally have no idea what it entailed and how far it went, for all we know it could only be a marketing deal for the US and some help with X360 development?
The myth that there was a check signed or something needs to die unless there's some real proof to back it up, Vesperia was not noticably higher budget than the Tales it followed or the Tales that came after.

- Graces sales have all to do with releasing on a Nintendo hardware instead of quality, I feel like I posted this graph a bazillion times (maybe even replying to you already) but it's never enough : Tales games have always historically sold much better on Sony platforms in Japan, we litterally have 20y of data and a dozen of games, ports to illustrate that
Game being full of bugs are also things that were known post-release, it's not at all a guaranteed thing that it had any effect on its FW numbers, heck even sales post releases were in line with other main titles proportionnally which makes it more likely that the game just didn't find an audience where it released.

- The consistency existed before Abyss to some degree, going back and forth between multiple platforms with exclusives is what killed the series momentum and when it had a chance for consolidation on PS3 they fumbled twice with Xillia and Zestiria which led their, improved, sequel/prequel deal with the aftermath.

The Tales optimal audience seems to be more or less what Xillia achieved in term of sales potential, to reach that once again they need the right conditions/game, a good multiplatform entry in 2019 might do that... if said audience didn't shrink since 2011 (and it probably did)

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Zestiria would have done that much better even it hadn't followed up Berseria. This series has always had trouble maintaining any sort of growth that has occurred from extraordinary circumstances.

Here's a look at the entire series from Abyss onwards. I've excluded the portable games, because Tales has always been a console-centric series.

F9fJeVP.png

• Abyss sold extremely well, following which Symphonia 2 sold like crap. The latter reviewed poorly even in Japan.

• Vesperia was given a decent budget by Microsoft and was a legitimately high quality game. The PS3 version did reasonably well.

• Following it, Graces sold like crap, again owing to quality issues / bugs. The ironed-out PS3 release did better, but lower than Vesperia.

• Graces was followed by Xillia, which sold well owing to it tying into a major 15th anniversary celebration of Tales with tons of marketing.

• Immediately following that game was its sequel, Xillia 2, which sold lower. Following that was Zestiria (even lower) and Berseria (even lower).

Namco have yet to prove that they can maintain any sort of consistency with Tales in Japan. Each spike is immediately followed by the games coming after suffering from quality issues, which inevitably leads to a decline in sales.

The Western market has been this series' saviour, but the situation in Japan could have been avoided to a degree, had Namco actually made an effort with their Tales releases on Wii, DS, and 3DS.

Wii started with a game that reviewed poorly, and then followed up with Graces, which was even poorer. DS kicked off with Tempest (yep), then Innocence, and then finally Hearts (the legitimately good one, but by this point nobody cared). And 3DS only got a port of Abyss.

Tales of Abyss should be on the PS4, I love me some Luke. Hopefully this leads to them releasing some of the older games that never made it to the states.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That seemed obvious back when we had reliable Steam sales data., but it's nice to have confirmation.

I'm really curious if Vesperia on Steam will support >60 FPS, that would be a great step forward for the PC versions of the games (though Zestiria and Berseria were already decent ports).

We know it's supposed to, considering they state variable framerate. What we dont know is support beyond 4k (Although I remember they said Berseria doesn't support 4k yet it did, it was for the 2D assets, so I guess it might be the case for Vesperia too).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aren't all the last games from the series still originally ps3 games (and not so good looking ones at that)? even if the next game has a switch version, there's still a lot of room to get a decent visual bump for the series if their budget is higher.

PS4 was unsuccessful in Japan? That's news to me.
not unsuccessful, but switch is going to pass its life time sales (5 years) in two years. it's definitely not doing too hot in japan, and it's not the biggest platform there like the rest of the world.
you can check this thread to get a perspective of how its doing in japan:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-51-2018-dec-17-dec-23.89476/

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Berseria was a fucking SNAP - Baba left only helped the series get better. Am very excited to see the next entry, and actually be able to enjoy it on my Switch :)

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

Does it actually have all the DLC costumes? I know the last I saw we didn't get the preorder exclusive Abyss costumes (with Yuri/Estelle/Flynn's normal colored hair on the costumes), and I haven't seen the Sgt. Keroro costume either.