• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
This would be awesome.

Currently playing this on the GBA and it's definitely in need of a few QoL improvements.

It's a great game and totally playable but I'd be hesitant to recommend it to anyone not familiar with old school style RPGs.

Edit: meant to quote the post suggesting a Phantasia remake.

Last edited:

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Multiplatform Tales would be great. Hopefully all versions of the game will be solid. I bought Berseria on PS4, but I will likely buy this game on Switch to show support for the franchise there (assuming the port is good, that is). In my view, the more people that can play these games, the better.

This would be awesome.

Currently playing this on the GBA and it's definitely in need of a few QoL improvements.

It's a great game and totally playable but I'd be hesitant to recommend it to anyone not familiar with old school style RPGs.

Are you referring to Tales of Phantasia? As far as I know, Tales of Phantasia (originally a SNES game) is the only Tales game on the GBA. The remaster referenced in this thread is of Tales of Vesperia, a game that released on Xbox 360 and then was later ported to PS3 with extra content.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Multiplatform Tales would be great. Hopefully all versions of the game will be solid. I bought Berseria on PS4, but I will likely buy this game on Switch to show support for the franchise there (assuming the port is good, that is). In my view, the more people that can play these games, the better.

Are you referring to Tales of Phantasia? As far as I know, Tales of Phantasia (originally a SNES game) is the only Tales game on the GBA. The remaster referenced in this thread is of Tales of Vesperia, a game that released on Xbox 360 and then was later ported to PS3 with extra content.
Yeah I'm referring to Phantasia. Don't know how I messed up the quote.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Good. I don't mind exclusives if they let devs reach further heights, by focusing on a single version. But Tales has felt like something akin to Sega's recent RPG releases for a while now. Instead of being focused system sellers like a Final Fantasy VII was back in the day, they're more wide-spread RPG products that try to appease the fanbase that likes the classics. And that audience can end up ANYWHERE now-a-days.

I look forward to seeing Tales available on a platform-of-choice, rather than just being locked.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
How's this one compared to Symphonia? I played the latter on the Gamecube and loved pretty much every aspect of it.

I also got the 3DS port of Abyss a few years back, but I never managed to get into that one. IIRC, I found most of the characters uninteresting and the constant loredumps were borderline incomrephensible (which, by extension, also made me lose interest in the story rather quickly). So I dropped that one roughly 30% in.

How does Vesperia fare compared to those two?

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
How's this one compared to Symphonia? I played the latter on the Gamecube and loved pretty much every aspect of it.

I also got the 3DS port of Abyss a few years back, but I never managed to get into that one. IIRC, I found most of the characters uninteresting and the constant loredumps were borderline incomrephensible (which, by extension, also made me lose interest in the story rather quickly). So I dropped that one roughly 30% in.

How does Vesperia fare compared to those two?
I think Vesperia's the best in the series by far. I've played it through in one sitting around Christmas time with some friends once a year every year for the last 8 years. The story does some pretty surprising things, and the main character Yuri is one of the best JRPG protags bar none. Definitely worth your time to check out if you liked Symphonia.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
won't they wait for the mobile title to release?

These two things are almost handled entirely separately, there's next to zero overlap in staff and even the target audience vastly differ
Mind they might check both titles planning to avoid minor conflicts but they shouldn't have any big impact on each other, rather they will probably use Crestoria as a way to advertise the next Tales with some collabo not too long after its launch maybe.
Next Tales could use some DLC costume of Crestoria cast later on, it didn't happen with previous entries iirc (Link, Asteria) but that would be within the realm of possibility now.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Cool, I haven't played any Tales games since Vesperia since I don't own any consoles they were on Maybe now going forward I will be able to play them

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think so but you'd also have expected to see it by now too. Higuchi taking time from Smash to help oversee Vesperia R makes me suspect more emphasis might be placed on this title than the usual Tales port/remaster.

I take the lack of the next tales game as them putting more effort into the game. call it wishful thinking, but I think they want the next game to be more impactful for the series.

Had an unchecked notification for this thread so I figure I should mention that if it's releasing in 2019/early 2020, then the current situation is actually pretty typical. The games have been using an alternating pattern of a three year project with a 1-2 year follow-up project for years now, Vesperia was the end of an era in more ways than one as the last relatively fresh console game that was made "quickly" (~2 years, 2006 to 2008):

Graces: 2006 -> 2009
Graces f: 2009 -> 2010
Xillia: 2008 -> 2011
Xillia 2: 2011 -> 2012
Zestiria: 2011 -> (early) 2015
Berseria: 2014 -> 2016
Next: 2016 -> 2019/early 2020

The games, the bigger ones anyway, aren't being made more cheaply, more quickly, or with smaller staff sizes than Vesperia was. If anything the argument should be that they've been trying to take budgets at or not too much higher than Vesperia's, and stretch them to make larger, more complex games where Vesperia's approximate budget isn't sufficient. The silence is mainly because we're just on the three year phase of the pattern and they don't have 2-3 teams making games concurrently anymore, so the gaps of nothing between new games are going to be longer now. I doubt it's about development hell, using ports as tests, or really even them taking more time than usual. I wouldn't be surprised if they've been researching, organizing, and training for a next gen project since finishing Zestiria in 2015, but the "main" development time will probably end up being the usual 3 years.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Good. I don't mind exclusives if they let devs reach further heights, by focusing on a single version. But Tales has felt like something akin to Sega's recent RPG releases for a while now. Instead of being focused system sellers like a Final Fantasy VII was back in the day, they're more wide-spread RPG products that try to appease the fanbase that likes the classics. And that audience can end up ANYWHERE now-a-days.

I look forward to seeing Tales available on a platform-of-choice, rather than just being locked.

Agreed.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
They just need to make sure that the storyline doesn't seem like a repeat of previous games structurally.