• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tomizawa stated that one of the big goals of this game is to help the series go fully multiplatform. The Steam versions of Tales games in particular sell very well.

While this time the concept was to bring a good game to current platforms as it was, Tomizawa wants the team to challenge itself for future Tales games. While the team will keep aspects of the Tales of series that should never be changed, he wants to reconsider how much of the series should be changed

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/2...and-steam-sales-and-more/#4ZgdCr6xxXzARTIX.99

We can safely expect the next Tales Of to be on all the platforms Vesperia is on.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it does well and sends the message that we want some more of the older titles as well. It's a damn shame we still haven't gotten a modern port of Tales of Destiny (PS2) remake.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest problems with Tales games was their unwillingness to change the formula at all. Looking forward to the next mainline game if they are actually trying to change.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever patch Symphonia? I heard it was running a little rough upon release.
A few patches, listed here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/372360/discussions/0/412446890556390508/

It seems most of the actual problems were only ever fixed by mods, though, Kaldaien's TS Fix specifically
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618359790

I have the impersion that Symphonia is an outlier, though, both Zestiria and Berseria were much better ports. They clearly hired the cheapest, most inexperienced team for the job and provided zero QA. Hope they learned something from all this.

Gospel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's too bad. Nothing good has ever come from going multi-platform.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
As long as they evolve the series, keeping within the Switch's limitations should be more than enough right?

Berseria was a PS3 game at heart...i'm far more curious as to what they are intending to do with the next new tales game

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
A few patches, listed here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/372360/discussions/0/412446890556390508/

It seems most of the actual problems were only ever fixed by mods, though, Kaldaien's TS Fix specifically
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618359790

I have the impersion that Symphonia is an outlier, though, both Zestiria and Berseria were much better ports. They clearly hired the cheapest, most inexperienced team for the job and provided zero QA. Hope they learned something from all this.
Yea I think you're right but that Symphonia port still hurts since that's my favorite Tales game. The game deserved better ;_;
One of the biggest problems with Tales games was their unwillingness to change the formula at all. Looking forward to the next mainline game if they are actually trying to change.
I actually have no issue with the Tales formula.
They were just releasing too many damn games and @ some point I got burned out. There was like 15 games across consoles and handhelds last gen. I know they have to keep the lights on over there but that's waaaaaaay too much Tales.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As long as they evolve the series, keeping within the Switch's limitations should be more than enough right?

Berseria was a PS3 game at heart...i'm far more curious as to what they are intending to do with the next new tales game

I very much doubt that the Switch is going to affect the development of a series that has its fanbase primarily on PlayStation and a growing population on PC. The moment the Switch can't run these games, they'll drop it like a hot potato and port over old entries to make up for it, if that.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That's great, everyone should play those games. Now, all of you need to bloody buy TOV remaster because it's the GOAT tales game!

Well, going multi-platform did give us final fantasy 13..... I kid. I kid. But seriously. Multi plat killed sega.
That's completely different. SEGA went from platform publisher to third party publisher. That's not what's happening with Bamco. The impact on SEGA was so major because their priorities for game development had to change drastically along with that. For Bamco, that's not the case.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
This. But instead of completely changing in different directions, I'm hoping that they visit the combat fundamentals a little. I really dislike the decision to take away basic attacks in favor of making the combat a giant fest of arte combos after combos. I prefer that the battle system starts off more tame and then gets more progressively exciting as you play and build your characters more instead of letting players get to do all the flashy shit right off the bat like the recent titles.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I think the graphical/CPU barriers thrown up by the Switch aren't going to be breaking the goals of games with middling budgets like Tales game have - only the AAA variety would hit on technical barriers when coming to Switch (and even then some AAA games can come to Switch). I don't think Tales would be more technically demanding if the game wouldn't be on Switch; they simply don't get the budget to push major technical boundaries on current gen systems.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Now dial down on the extremely anime story and run of the mill character traits and I'm there.

I have no problem with it's anime aesthetic but when you have female characters that can best be differentiated from one another by one-note terms like "big-sister type", "tsundere", or "glasses girl" you know you have room for improvement.

For all the hate Dragon Quest gets for being antiquated and shit after playing DQXI I can safely say Tales Of wishes it's characters were half as good as the main cast of DQXI is.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No shit.
Its already on PS4/Steam - they cant really skip Switch at this point and while they are at it why exclude Xbox.

You know what to do, if you wanna reach a higher sales ceiling for the series.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I very much doubt that the Switch is going to affect the development of a series that has its fanbase primarily on PlayStation and a growing population on PC. The moment the Switch can't run these games, they'll drop it like a hot potato and port over old entries to make up for it, if that.

Im sure Namco bandai sees the Japanese audience's habits though. they clearly are going to make switch a priority

I think the graphical/CPU barriers thrown up by the Switch aren't going to be breaking the goals of games with middling budgets like Tales game have - only the AAA variety would hit on technical barriers when coming to Switch (and even then some AAA games can come to Switch). I don't think Tales would be more technically demanding if the game wouldn't be on Switch; they simply don't get the budget to push major technical boundaries on current gen systems.

that's why i say switch should be more than enough. if they can get an engine change at the very least and make up some decent changes in how the game works, it should be good

Gospel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
yeah, as we all know other people getting to play previously exclusive games usually makes the experience worse 😒
Uhh, yeah?
Look, have you ever eaten at a fancy restaurant or hung out at a very exclusive section of a club? If you have, you'd know that part of the enjoyment you'd get from those experiences is the exclusivity. The joy of the experience falls apart if everyone could take part in it.

Tell me you've never laughed at or mocked someone looking into the window of the exclusive restaurant you're eating at because they couldn't get a reservation.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I can't decide between the switch or ps4 version... so both I guess?

Hope it does well enough to sustain its multiplatformness.. Though, only symphonia, vesperia and berseria have appealed to me.. I dug all of those... zesteria/xillia didn't appeal to me at all.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uhh, yeah?
Look, have you ever eaten at a fancy restaurant or hung out at a very exclusive section of a club? If you have, you'd know that part of the enjoyment you'd get from those experiences is the exclusivity. The joy of the experience falls apart if everyone could take part in it.

Tell me you've never laughed at or mocked someone looking into the window of the exclusive restaurant you're eating at because they couldn't get a reservation.
I refuse to believe this is not trolling, it has to be

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Uhh, yeah?

That shows you have really poor character, not that you are right.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, yeah?

please be joking