• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
DY_Nl8MU0AARsA_.jpg

Talking Simpsons is a animation podcast hosted by Bob Mackey and Henry Gilbert. They post multiple episodes a week.

The current podcast line up is:

Mondays: What A Cartoon!

What A Cartoon! reviews single episodes of cartoon TV shows. Shows reviewed so far include episodes from: Batman TAS, Dexter's Labratory, Bobby's World and Kill La Kill as examples.

This podcast is free with $5+ Patrons getting one week advance episodes

Wednesdays: Talking Simpsons

Talking Simpsons is a chronological review of The Simpsons. As of April, 2018, they are 1/2 way through Season 7.

Before you ask, yes they will be reviewing all episodes. Even the "bad ones" post season *insert season you started hating the show here*.

This podcast is free with $5+ Patrons getting one week advance episodes

Fridays: Talking Futurama

This podcast reviews single seasons of cartoon TV series and they are currently reviewing Season 1 of Futurama.

This podcast is exclusive to Patrons at the $5 and above level.

Currently, one season of one cartoon TV series per year will be done. If the Patreon surpasses $11000/month(currently only about $750 to go), 2 seasons will be done per year.

Bonus episodes!

Bonus episodes go live from time to time on off days and they include interviews with people involved in making the cartoons discussed on the podcasts. Past guests include Mimi Pond, Mike Scully, Ian Jones-Quartey, Dan Greaney etc.

Bonus episodes are $5+ Patron exclusive.

There's also a Patreon exclusive "Talk to the Audience" podcast and it's always death. Not Sonic call in show death, but death all the same.

Talking Simpsons Free RSS feed:
http://talkingsimpsons.libsyn.com/

What a Cartoon Free RSS Feed:
http://whatacartoonfeed.libsyn.com/rss

Donate to Talking Simpsons on Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/talkingsimpsons

OP
OP
krae_man

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Today's Patreon Exclusive Talking Futurama Episode:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly prefer the show without Chris, which I first learned when they started up Talking Critic.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny how there's a new OT but it's still the Chris lasertime convo going... anywho. What are some shows you all would like them to cover in their talking toons show

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want to see WAC cover Real Ghostbusters at some point. They had a brief mention of it in the Batman episode but lumped it in with a lot of the real garbage from that period. I honestly think the show (at least its early seasons) hold up remarkably well and would love to see Henry and Bob take on an episode like Knock, Knock.

As for the Simpsons, I'm really looking forward to the Fish Called Selma episode.

OP
OP
krae_man

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to think of something that isn't obvious that they will do anyway(eg Gargoyles, X-Men).

I'm drawing a blank beyond some Canada specific stuff that I really only watched because it was the least shitty thing on.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
non-obvious WAC's? 2 Stupid Dogs which I just remembered Brad Garrett did VA for, Eek! the Cat, Big Guy and Rusty, Sam & Max, Beetlejuice, Camp Candy, Killer Tomatoes, The Tick, Captain Planet, Earthworm Jim, Slayers, Ranma 1/2, Lupin III, Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, etc.

goddamn Fox Kids had so many stinkers in the 90's, no wonder they got bodied by Kids WB

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Star Blazers is a great idea considering it's practically the first cartoon with an ongoing story to air in the US.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they do a bad show soon if only because there's so much more material when they get into the bad stuff.

Also hope they do Avengers EMH.

Nov 27, 2017
Looking forward to some Garfield coverage personally

I wonder if What A Cartoon will dive into movies. Not Disney/Pixar but more forgotten/ignored ones. I'd nonimate The Last Unicorn and A Man Called Flintstone.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why did Chris leave? I remember hearing something about Florida?

I miss the dude
He moved to FL. Lasertime is continuing but talking simpsons has been a separate thing since the Patreon came up. There seems to be have been a falling out between the host

I hope they do a bad show soon if only because there's so much more material when they get into the bad stuff.

Also hope they do Avengers EMH.
I would support this. I miss hearing hank talk about comic stuff.... he really really really needs to look into bring back cape crisis. it honestly was the best comic podcast out there. when they ended that, I tried to listen to a bunch of the other ones out there, but none of them were nearly as good
or to dc heavy

Looking forward to some Garfield coverage personally

I wonder if What A Cartoon will dive into movies. Not Disney/Pixar but more forgotten/ignored ones. I'd nonimate The Last Unicorn and A Man Called Flintstone.

pretty sure the movie tier they have listed at 13 k

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The Bobby's World episode was a good episode but Dave made it great. Also, shit, the episode's Boo turn would not be made today.

OP
OP
krae_man

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
It you want them to review bad stuff, there's always the WWE cartoons.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The Bobby's World episode was a good episode but Dave made it great. Also, shit, the episode's Boo turn would not be made today.

This was the first episode that was a struggle for me, I honestly don't think that Bobby's world has quite enough substance to be dissected in this format. It really felt like a stretch.

Also Bobby's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
This was the first episode that was a struggle for me, I honestly don't think that Bobby's world has quite enough substance to be dissected in this format. It really felt like a stretch.

Also Bobby's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
I said something similar In the other thread. I️ love animation but most shows don't have any depth that make them worth hearing dissected in a podcast. After the history bit which I️ enjoyed hearing, them discuss the jokes made only for children was boring

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Coming soon to WAC

Not a bad list but Star Wars is Clone Wars AND Space Ghost, that's the least animated show up to date

OP
OP
krae_man

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Today's Episode of Talking Futurama will help you with your sexual inhibitions!

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh crap that Groening Apu Response thread is a gigantic mess

'YOURE JUST PRETENDING TO BE OFFENDED BECAUSE OUTRAGE CULTURE' 'NO YOU'RE BEING OFFENDED AT THE PEOPLE OFFENDED BY OFFENSIVENESS' 'WELL YOU'RE OFFENDED AT THE OFFENSIVE NATURE OF THE SHOW'

it's crazy seeing how much reaction the show is causing

Last edited:

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Was going to ask why there hasn't been a new episode in awhile, then I realized I needed to subscribe to a new feed on Google Play.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really haven't been liking the new episodes with the rotating guest hosts since Chris left as much :/

I mean yeah it's mostly a show about The Simpsons (duh) but it had also become one of my favorite just random chit-chat, friend-simulator, whatever podcasts to put on while I'm playing a videogame or whatever, and with these guest hosts it's just lost the vibe for me....it's like they spend 2/3 of the episode getting to know the guest ....they don't have that familiarity that makes it a really good listen. Obviously this varies ep to ep, some of them are fine and some are really rough. I liked all the eps where Kat Bailey or Diana Goodman filled in for the third person in the past, I wish one of them would just do it permanently at this point.

There's also the benefit (to them) of the guest hosts bringing in a chunk of new listeners every week I'm sure, but for me the show has gone from the auto-listen-the-day-it-goes-up zone into me actually having a small backlog at this point :(.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I really haven't been liking the new episodes with the rotating guest hosts since Chris left as much :/

I mean yeah it's mostly a show about The Simpsons (duh) but it had also become one of my favorite just random chit-chat, friend-simulator, whatever podcasts to put on while I'm playing a videogame or whatever, and with these guest hosts it's just lost the vibe for me....it's like they spend 2/3 of the episode getting to know the guest ....they don't have that familiarity that makes it a really good listen. Obviously this varies ep to ep, some of them are fine and some are really rough. I liked all the eps where Kat Bailey or Diana Goodman filled in for the third person in the past, I wish one of them would just do it permanently at this point.

There's also the benefit (to them) of the guest hosts bringing in a chunk of new listeners every week I'm sure, but for me the show has gone from the auto-listen-the-day-it-goes-up zone into me actually having a small backlog at this point :(.
yeah some of the guest have been really hit or miss.

Nov 27, 2017
The guest on the Marge dress episode was a miss for me. Marge episodes are so rare, it's disappointing when one comes up they don't have anything interesting to share or relate.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I personally just wish Matthew Jay was permanent co-host, but I know he's got his own thing to do.
speaking of him, has anyone paid for his patreon to listen to the evangelion show? I'm tempted. its weird none of them are being released unless you do the patreon. its a podcast for like a 100 people.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
speaking of him, has anyone paid for his patreon to listen to the evangelion show? I'm tempted. its weird none of them are being released unless you do the patreon. its a podcast for like a 100 people.

I'm at the $3 level right now so I don't have access because I think the podcast starts at $5.

I'm gonna move up to $5 sooner or later though, maybe more.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the $3 level right now so I don't have access because I think the podcast starts at $5.

I'm gonna move up to $5 sooner or later though, maybe more.
based on his twitter, it sounds like hes planning on moving or something. its too bad because I remember him talking about making a podcast discussing movies that take place in san fran at one point. I was kind of looking forward to that.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I've been listening to Conversation Evangelion

the podcast is good it's like Talking Simpsons but with anime, MattyJ has had guests from animation/journalism and other podcasts discuss the 90's and 00's anime scene and Hideyaki/Gainax's history and how the show's been influential to the industry

and it's not just Evangelion, MattyJ adds interviews with animation/comics vets and journalists too

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
based on his twitter, it sounds like hes planning on moving or something. its too bad because I remember him talking about making a podcast discussing movies that take place in san fran at one point. I was kind of looking forward to that.

I really wish him the best because he sounds like such a super-nice guy and he's generally the personality I've found my tastes and opinions line up with most out of the whole Lasertime extended universe.

qwilman

Nov 4, 2017
Savannah, GA
I'm a big Kat Bailey fan and I wish she were on more episodes.

I've actually found the rotating guests to be pretty refreshing and even if one of them doesn't completely click with me I don't think it ever like brings down an episode. If they were to never have like "special" guests again though I would love it if they just rotated out Kat and Matt.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
i just listened to the venture brothers episode and they mentioned what the next episode is that they'll be doing at the end of the show. did they do that in earlier episodes and I just missed it? I like that cuz that's way easier than going to the patreon site or digging through their twitters to find the list of upcoming eps

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
i just listened to the venture brothers episode and they mentioned what the next episode is that they'll be doing at the end of the show. did they do that in earlier episodes and I just missed it? I like that cuz that's way easier than going to the patreon site or digging through their twitters to find the list of upcoming eps
I think they started doing this when they finished airing all the pilot episodes, now that they know which order they'll be putting them out. The pilots were probably all recorded at once, before they figured out what order they were going to be released in.

Last edited:

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I think they started doing this when they finished airing all the pilot episodes, now that they know which order they'll be putting them out. The pilots were probably all recorded at once, before they figured out what order they we're going to be released in.
Ahh cool. I typically skip the last few minutes of plugs, so this is good to know.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've recently discover this (and laser time in general) really enjoy it and listen to it at work everyday, there comes a time where I need to switch over to 30,20,10 or laser time though. Henry can be really annoying, I hate how he explains obvious jokes, does it every show! Lol

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I've recently discover this (and laser time in general) really enjoy it and listen to it at work everyday, there comes a time where I need to switch over to 30,20,10 or laser time though. Henry can be really annoying, I hate how he explains obvious jokes, does it every show! Lol
you should totally dig through lasertime's back catalogue. most of the shows are pretty evergreen!

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been catching up on lasertime tonight and if you want some annoying Henry check out the norm McDonald episode. During half of the clips he has the most Obnoxious laugh.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Im enjoying this weeks talking simpsons on "the day the violence died.",

The bit where bart and millhouse narrate/talk over the 30s itchy and scratchy cartoon is basically what the podcast is.