• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think Starfield releases?

• Spring 2023

Votes: 158 22.5%
  • Summer 2023

Votes: 116 16.5%
  • Fall 2023

Votes: 217 30.9%
  • Winter 2023

Votes: 102 14.5%

Votes: 109 15.5%

• Total voters

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Ah the amount of options by going back to non-voiced protagonist. Thank you Todd.

j9Nf42X.jpg

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
So hyped for this.

Here's hoping they tweak the gunplay feedback, which looked weak from the gameplay they showed. It's surprising considering Fallout 4's gameplay is surprisingly crunchy.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
my man is getting older... could the game after fo5 be his last game? Or maybe even fo5

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Are they using AI voice creation for all of these dialogue lines? This kind of tech is awesome for games that need a ton of voice generation.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Who said it was a great game because the amount of dialogue?

The fact that the game director specifically highlights it in a promotional video and they prepared an infographic to go along with it? They're touting it as a selling point, my mileage varies

I agree that more doesn't always = better, but in this case they paired that stat with an example of how the volume of dialogue in this game translates into depth. The persuasion system shows a lot of promise, much more interesting than a simple stat check.

This is true, I guess it was the infographic that tipped it over the edge for me. It reeked of the days of "yeah well our open world is 5 quindecillion square meters big" style marketing language

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The fact that the game director specifically highlights it in a promotional video and they prepared an infographic to go along with it?
The game director also talked about how fuel in space works, getting rid of traits, and their new persuasion system. He was talking about the dialogue in tandem with the persuasion system to show just how in depth the game can get.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
You know what? I wouldn't mind if it got pushed to fall at this point, the first half of next year seems to be quite stacked.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Still hope I can run a gang of space pirates.

Man...I hope this game is good...

You know what? I wouldn't mind if it got pushed to fall at this point, the first half of next year seems to be quite stacked.

You ain't lying. SF6 alone is gonna keep me busy, I'd be okay with it dropping to fall.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
if every recorded line in the game was just 2 seconds in length, it would take over 140 hours just to hear every line if played back to back to back

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It's odd. Feel like i know enough about the game and haven't seen anything at all. I dig this vid…seems like our characters will be pretty dynamic throughout. Also great on the infinite fuel…they have allot of worlds to explore.

Kiryu957

Sep 26, 2020
What does he mean by limit how far you can go based on fuel but not running out of it. If you dont run out how are they gonna limit it. Or is this about fast travel. Feel like I'm missing something lol.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
What does he mean by limit how far you can go based on fuel but not running out of it. If you dont run out how are they gonna limit it. Or is this about fast travel. Feel like I'm missing something lol.

FTL so sometimes you will need to make more jumps to get where you're going or something

so instead of progression it becomes convenience vs inconvenience

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
As a BGS RPG fan, this sort of thing gets my blood pumping.

Why wouldn't they play into stuff that makes their games so popular? We play these games for years and years, the more content the better. 1000 hours in Skyrim and I still come across little things I haven't seen before. And you're telling me Starfield could be doing that even better? Yes... surefire sign of a great game to me!

I just hope they improved on the quality of dialogue, and not just the volume.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I am guessing you will need to invest in upgrading your FTL drive to jump to some of the more distant systems or something like that.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I voted for a fall 2023 release.

I'm expecting a great game with performance issues. I'm expecting 30 fps with dips at launch. How will gamers take this in 2023? is the question.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
This new persuasion system look really fire.

Feel like they push forward their design philosophy "Everything you do, have purpose, utility".

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
im so glad they went back to silent protag, helps with immersion for me and also offers way more freedom for the writing

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
also they renamed "endurance" to "oxygen" probably the stamina mechanic, doubt there will be limited air reservers on non-survival mode

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Starfield keeps sounding better and better!
I'm too excited but in my hear I know this is Fall 2023 lol. Sept-Nov is my guess and after waiting 86 years I'm fine with that (BOTW2 better release in May though damnit!)

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
"raised universal" and "raised enlightened" were also change, now they refer to a special chest full of items you gain/lose access to instead of a "faction shop"

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Starfield keeps sounding better and better!
I'm too excited but in my hear I know this is Fall 2023 lol. Sept-Nov is my guess and after waiting 86 years I'm fine with that (BOTW2 better release in May though damnit!)

if they settle on a release date soon it'll probably be at the VGAs/TGAs (whatever its current name is) that we learn of it

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I have been playing a lot of Fallout 76 lately and I am absolutely ready for another new Bethesda game.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
This game will be so massive. I really hope we hear something at TGAs. Could be THE game of 2023. So hyped.

Jan 27, 2022
"raised universal" and "raised enlightened" were also change, now they refer to a special chest full of items you gain/lose access to instead of a "faction shop"
Great find yourself! Looks like New Atlantis is home to the United Colonies, Constellation, and the House of the Enlightened. This location of the Enlightened store/chest wasn't mentioned before.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The increased depth of dialogue due to no player VA definitely will hopefully help, as will the increased fidelity of the NPCs facial responses.

Interesting that they're letting you 'back out' of your trait choices, though - wasn't necessarily expecting that, and I wonder if it applies to every/all of them, given the one about the fan, or having parents/a starter house, etc.

In terms of a release date, the rumors about how it would have been coming in 'Cyberpunk' levels of bug-riddled with the original date this year, and that we still don't have a date after the delay, and that I can't imagine they'd want a summer release, I'd say Fall 2023 (unless I'm forgetting some other massive first party titles)

The only 'outlier' is that the MS conference said everything would be out within a year from showing from Not-E3 in June, but....that seems pretty paper-thin, plus idk if they were ever clear about 'calendar year' versus 'the end of 2023'.

DimpleSan

Jun 16, 2020
Oh yeah, Starfield exists. Seems like the chat about this game died since it was revealed, even though it looks just like an evolution of all their other games but set in space. I guess people were imagining it was something more.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
In terms of a release date, the rumors about how it would have been coming in 'Cyberpunk' levels of bug-riddled with the original date this year, and that we still don't have a date after the delay, and that I can't imagine they'd want a summer release, I'd say Fall 2023 (unless I'm forgetting some other massive first party titles)
Wasn't the "Cyberpunk" levels comment made in June 2021 when they first announced the release date? I believe a few developers came out and said that a lot of them feel like their game will be a mess a year and a half later. I would be more interested to hear what Bethesda developers are saying now.

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
Are the Todd Howard memes out of love or are people still genuinely upset with the dude at this point? Don't mean to come across as salty, I'm genuinely curious to know.

Either way, Starfield still looks rad and remains my most anticipated.

Both? On one hand he's a liar but on the other hand most other games still don't come close to what his games are able to pull off

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I would be totally fine with a fall release. Next year is going to be stacked and Xbox's drought should be a thing of the past moving forward. Redfall keeps looking better and better, that with Forza makes a nice start to the year, save the heavy hitter for fall.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the "Cyberpunk" levels comment made in June 2021 when they first announced the release date? I believe a few developers came out and said that a lot of them feel like their game will be a mess a year and a half later. I would be more interested to hear what Bethesda developers are saying now.

Yeah, that's fair - I think the release window somewhat moreso than usual depends on MS' release schedule overall.

AFAIK there's not a TON of 1st party releases with official dates - we still know little about how close they want to push things together - I imagine they want to get Redfall out a good distance apart, and Starfield seems much moreso the 'guaranteed sales' aspect you'd wanna push in the fall.

Not to mention the nebulous dates of other MS 1st party stuff that's been in dev for a while now.