• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pxfbotyMZL1tg92zso1_500.jpg

Guess Disney doesn't consider it a spoiler anymore.

Airs weekdays at 1 PM ET on Disney Channel, starting October 7, 2019
Or watch it at midnight on Disney Now

Tangled: the Series follows after the events of the movie but before the wedding special, with every lead movie actor reprising their roles and much of the movie production crew returning, including Alan Menken handling the songs.

Months after reuniting with her birth parents, Rapunzel came across mysterious Black Rocks that restored her magical hair but started wreaking havoc in Corona. She journeyed outside the kingdom to find the source of these rocks and came close to stopping them, only to be betrayed at the last second by her close friend, Cassandra. Now, she returns to Corona in shame, only to find things haven't gone well while she was gone...

PREVIOUSLY ON TANGLED: THE SERIES
tumblr_pp3sofwEHU1un7vmfo1_320.png

(art by amber glow)

When following the Black Rocks, Rapunzel and her friends came across an ancient stronghold of the warlock Zhan Tiri. There, she learned the reverse version of her healing song, which she later used to destroy the remnants of Zhan Tiri's power when it attacked her. In the process, she badly hurt her friend Cassandra.

Later, they were trapped by one of Zhan Tiri's followers, who attempted to extract the power of the Sundrop from Rapunzel, but he was stopped. During all this, something happened to Cassandra.

Eventually, they arrived at the source of the Black Rocks: the Dark Kingdom, with the only thing remaining being a crumbling castle and its mad king, Edmund (played by Bruce Campbell). To Eugene's shock, this man is his father, making him prince of the Dark Kingdom.

Earlier, the ancient sorcerer-scientist Lord Demanitus passed along a prophecy to Eugene that one of their group will betray them. Learning that the Sundrop could die if she were to touch the Moondrop, source of the Black Rocks, Eugene betrays Rapunzel and stops her from reaching her goal. Pascal thankfully convinces him he's being dumb and Eugene goes back to helping Rapunzel.

However, it turns out that wasn't what the prophecy was about.

tumblr_pq52bxzbF61sba236_320.png

(art by nebula-nova)

EPISODE GUIDE
Episode listings

1-2. Rapunzel's Return - October 6, 2019
Rapunzel returns to the kingdom of Corona only to find that it has been taken over by an old enemy; still reeling from Cassandra's betrayal, Rapunzel must use her inner strength to save Corona and its people, including her parents.

3. Return of the King - October 7, 2019
King Edmund arrives in Corona to give his son, Eugene, a family heirloom; when the heirloom is stolen, Eugene reluctantly joins his father on a journey to retrieve it.

4. Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf? - October 8, 2019
Rapunzel and Eugene's friends Angry and Red return to Corona permanently; their return quickly becomes a nightmare when the kingdom is stalked by a werewolf.

5. The Lost Treasure of Herz Der Sonne - October 9, 2019
After discovering a map to a mythical treasure, Rapunzel believes that holding a race to claim it will be just the pick-me-up the people of Corona need.

6. No Time Like the Past - October 10, 2019
An ancient hourglass sends Rapunzel and Pascal back in time, and their only hope of returning to the present is in the hands of a teenage Lance and Eugene.

7. Beginnings - October 15, 2019
As Rapunzel struggles with Cassandra's betrayal, the princess recounts the story of how she and Cassandra first became friends.

8. The King and Queen of Hearts - October 16, 2019
Rapunzel finds that her parents' memory loss has made them forget how they fell in love; things get complicated when King Trevor tries to steal the Queen's heart.

9. Day of the Animals - October 17, 2019
Max, Pascal and the animals must rescue Rapunzel and the gang from being trapped forever in a magical prison.

10. Be Very Afraid - October 18, 2019
When Corona is overcome by a new strain of rocks that induces fearful visions, Rapunzel teams up with Varian to put an end to the new threat.

11. Pascal's Dragon - January 12, 2020
When Pascal befriends a baby dragon, he must decide between his new friend and the safety of Corona.

12. Islands Apart - January 19, 2020
After receiving a message from Owl, Rapunzel and Eugene travel back to the Island of the Lorbs, where they reconnect with the Captain of the Guard.

13. Cassandra's Revenge - January 26, 2020
Special one-hour episode
When Rapunzel feels ready to settle down and begin living a normal life, Cassandra returns to Corona with a score to settle. Their confrontation reaches epic proportions when Cass learns to wield the power of the black rocks.

14. Race to the Spire - February 2, 2020
Rapunzel, Eugene, and an old friend, Calliope, race to the Spire in an attempt to stop Cassandra from acquiring a deadly weapon.

15. A Tale of Two Sisters - February 9, 2020

16. Flynnpostor - February 16, 2020

17. Once a Handmaiden… - February 23, 2020

18. Plus Est En Vous - March 1, 2020

Special 90-minute episode (series finale)

Previous threads
Season 2 OT
Era, you should check out Tangled: the Series
GAF thread (or the closest thing to one) - Tangled Animated Series coming 2017

Last edited:

HeartofWinds

Oct 25, 2017
Finally! Been waiting for tonight for quite a while. Hopefully there isn't a super long midseason hiatus this season. I'm guessing they might be trying to get a lot out before disney+.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Finished the episode.

Theories were correct...Gothel is Cassandra's mother. Unless there's trickery afoot. They fight for a bit, and then Cass runs off.

Balloon! That's how they get back to Corona so quick.

Varian (with fake facial hair) came back alongside Andrew and others.

Varian's dad is saved!

Several new songs. One by tiny Cass, then another one with Cass and Rapunzel, and then a celebration song after Corona is saved.

HeartofWinds

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that was worth staying up until 4 in the morning for. Really excited to see where this final season goes!

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Finished the episode.

Theories were correct...Gothel is Cassandra's mother. Unless there's trickery afoot. They fight for a bit, and then Cass runs off.

Balloon! That's how they get back to Corona so quick.

Varian (with fake facial hair) came back alongside Andrew and others.

Varian's dad is saved!

Several new songs. One by tiny Cass, then another one with Cass and Rapunzel, and then a celebration song after Corona is saved.

Varian's sudden heel-face turn just felt so out of place.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Next episode just showed up for me on demand on Spectrum. It says it's in SD, though...hmm...to watch, or not to watch?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Rapunzel's Return
* Ah, so Cassandra really is Mother Gothel's biological daughter.
* Not that Gothel treated her any better.
* Ah, Cass used to sing unprompted. Song sounds familiar... oh, "Waiting in the Wings".
* Now Cass, that doesn't mean you should betray Rapunzel.
* Another song already!
* Hah, "Crossing the Line" is basically Cass's "Let it Go". Except about betrayal.

* Rapunzel using happiness to mask sadness.
* Sheesh, they could have shortened the trip by just using a balloon?
* Guess Cassandra's going to be upset they left without looking for her now.
* Oh... this guy?
* Eugene saying what I'm thinking. Andrew.
* Varian's back, and with a spooky bandana!
* Huh, I didn't expect the memory erasing wand to return.
* LOL at Varian's stubble. I assume it's drawn on.
* No giant robots, so I assume this is proof that Varian really did just repurpose most of his robots in the season 1 finale and didn't make them.

* Aww, Rapunzel going to Cass's weapons closet.
* Aww, regretful Varian.
* Aww, Varian becomes incompetent as soon as he turns good.
* Seriously, Varian turns good and he's a complete klutz that uses soap attacks.
* Still, fun battle.

* Oh damn, didn't expect the moon incantation to free Varian's father.
* Musical reprise of "I'll Make You Proud".
* Honestly, a pretty rushed resolution to Varian's story.
* New Rapunzel dress!
* So... Varian's just free?
* I'd also complain about Rapunzel's parents' memory loss not being addressed if I didn't know there were upcoming episodes about it.

Overall, an alright story that wrapped things up a bit too neatly. Also disappointed the journey home didn't involve the lanterns, like hinted in the season 1 finale.

Regardless, glad to have Tangled back.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Varian is free despite the fact that he helped Andre and his followers erased the King and Queen's memories and his nearly destroyed Corona with his army of robots? Yeah, I knew Varian wasn't going to become a complete villain, but he should not get off the hook because he regretted his actions.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Return of the King
* New intro!
* Varian's part of it now. The previous episode did seem to set up his "power set" for being a good guy.
* King Edmund also in the intro. No Adeera anymore?
* Jeez, Coronoa's prison system is terrible. Stabbingtons escaped already.
* Sounds like Adeera isn't with Edmund either.
* Bonding over the Flynn Rider books; forgot about those.
* Max jobbing.
* 24 years apart, explicitly stated.
* Sheesh, Edmund's power level dropped significantly now that he's good.
* Another pretty good set piece.
* Cassandra, on the other hand, needs more training now that she's bad.

Good episode.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, in the previous on tangled picture, it is kinda funny that everyone has serious or sad faces except Eugene who has a goofy grin on his face.

Varian's sudden heel-face turn just felt so out of place.

Agreed.

After how much hate he had for Corona at the end of the first season and not caring about it at all, it was weird for him to suddenly not want to see it burn. Not to mention the whole make every forget so we can be friends again.

The return of Angry and Red. Teenage Lance and Eugene. I am super hyped for this season already.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Return of the King
* New intro!
* Varian's part of it now. The previous episode did seem to set up his "power set" for being a good guy.
* King Edmund also in the intro. No Adeera anymore?
* Jeez, Coronoa's prison system is terrible. Stabbingtons escaped already.
* Sounds like Adeera isn't with Edmund either.
* Bonding over the Flynn Rider books; forgot about those.
* Max jobbing.
* 24 years apart, explicitly stated.
* Sheesh, Edmund's power level dropped significantly now that he's good.
* Another pretty good set piece.
* Cassandra, on the other hand, needs more training now that she's bad.

Good episode.

No, I wanted to see more Adira and Strongbow.

Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
New hairstyles for Red and Angry! They look bigger, too.
Rapunzel making rebuilding efforts her parents wouldn't.
Damn, that's some advanced hair capturing from Rapunzel.
Rapunzel's really taking charge. Though it's super weird they don't mention what the current state of her parents is.
Halfway through, Red and Angry aren't really part of this episode, huh?
Alien references

Oh, Red's the werewolf. Never mind.
"Final night of the full moon"? Wait, what? Did they just casually drop that full moons work differently in Tangled world? And that wasn't misspoken. Lance says, "That's tonight."
Red rejects her humanity.
Red wants to be angry.
Katelyna and Kira are their real names.
I guess Katelyna is just going to stay a werewolf.
Rapunzel just giving Katelyna a picture of Cassandra so she knows not to turn evil.
Alright episode.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
New hairstyles for Red and Angry! They look bigger, too.
Rapunzel making rebuilding efforts her parents wouldn't.
Damn, that's some advanced hair capturing from Rapunzel.
Rapunzel's really taking charge. Though it's super weird they don't mention what the current state of her parents is.
Halfway through, Red and Angry aren't really part of this episode, huh?
Alien references

Oh, Red's the werewolf. Never mind.
"Final night of the full moon"? Wait, what? Did they just casually drop that full moons work differently in Tangled world? And that wasn't misspoken. Lance says, "That's tonight."
Red rejects her humanity.
Red wants to be angry.
Katelyna and Kira are their real names.
I guess Katelyna is just going to stay a werewolf.
Rapunzel just giving Katelyna a picture of Cassandra so she knows not to turn evil.
Alright episode.

The ghost girl telling Cassandra to channel her anger and hatred. Cassandra is going full sith.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The Lost Treasure of Herz Der Sonne
Looks like Angry and Red Kira and Katelyna are sticking around. So the show is no longer the sausage fest it was two episodes ago.
Multicolored unicorns, huh?
Ah, so that's the weird hat in question.
Some unique pairs, some expected ones. And one pair I'm pretty sure Rapunzel just didn't mention.
Smug Katelyna
Rapunzel rollerskating uphill somehow.
Kalelyna consistently smug now that she's a werewolf.
Skeletons!
Strong skeletons!
Shorty crucified on a skeleton.
Alright episode.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Good this is stil going. I watched a few eps and it was interesting that Rapuzal had more chemistry with her guard than her husband

No Time Like the Past
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
No Time Like the Past
Smug Rapunzel
"I know you love Cass"
This really is going to be Naruto
Weird that Rapunzel is talking about Cass at the start of this episode focused on Eugene and Lance supposedly
Baby Eugene and Lance
Baby Max!
Ah, so this is a Quantum Leap style time travel
Young Stabbingtons... so wait, what were Lance and Eugene seeing when Pascal was on Rapunzel's shoulder?
Baby Varian
Mustache swap
Rapunzel is taller, but what's going on with Pascal?

Sheesh, so much time travel information abuse
More Naruto! "Those who abandon their friends are worse than trash"
Baby(?) Shorty
And Rapunzel goes back another 10 years
Rapunzel changed the past! She should be really thankful the only thing that got changed is Eugene's thoughts on throwing out Cass's stuff.

That was a strange episode, from its shifting focus to the end results, but I enjoyed it.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
So, everybody in Corona is okay with Varian? I still can't get over Varian's rushed redemption.

Since they pretty much reverted Varian back to how he was at the start of the series, I doubt they are going to bring up his wrong doing anytime soon. It is easier for the writers is everybody is fine with Varian being a good guy again. The way the show handled Varian left a bad taste in my mouth.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
Cassandra's birth probably wasn't planned at all, I can't see a vain and selfish person like Mother Gothel wanting to lovingly raise some kids. she probably got careless on a fun night out, begrudingly kept her for a few years, and then walked out on her as soon as she got a better magical daughter. Gothel's truly the definition of a deadbeat mom

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
For those wondering, no, there wasn't a new episode today. They resume on Tuesday and continue for the rest of the week.

Then the show seems to be going on a hiatus.

Beginnings
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Beginnings
Owl's still hanging around Cass.
Damn, training a new lady in waiting. Not sure telling everyone about the secret passage will do what you want.
Flashback
Short brown hair Rapunzel!
Oh, there are other princesses.
Rapunzel and Cassandra dancing together. Not too happily, though.
Not too interested in this competition and this conflict, really.
It's a lion! It's huge!
Varian's mechs suddenly seem less impressive.
"I have moved on." (doubt)
And now Cass has a reason to attack Rapunzel... which she won't do for several more episodes, I assume.

Not a huge fan of that episode. It felt pointless.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The King and Queen of Hearts
Ah, finally addressing the King and Queen having memory loss. Not the sort of thing I'd just put on the backburner like this, but I'm not a princess.
You know, in the episode synopsis, I misread King Trevor as King Edmund, and that sounded way more interesting.
Cassandra found an actual cure for the memory loss spell in a book, and even if Rapunzel doesn't know the recipe, they should know to look for the book.
Rapunzel kicking over her presentation.
Rapunzel has experience with interrogations.
Love Max pointing out the right law.
MARITIME LAW
Not even marriage applies at sea!
Alright, wasn't really feeling this episode before, but Navy Seals settled it, the episode is good. Plus Trevor overacting.
RIP Book
Cute Rapunzel and Eugene scene
Memory issues resolved, I suppose.

Like I said, wasn't feeling this episode until MARITIME LAW came into the picture. Then it became good.

Day of the Animals
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Day of the Animals
Varian really is just hanging out with everyone like it's nothing. I am surprised how much Kira and Katelyna are showing up.
Rutteger is more deliberately mischievous than I remember him being.
Hey, the pendant is the turtle from Jojo Part V.
doom upside down is woop
Katelyna really has a different personality now that she isn't just Red.
Not enjoying the animal banter as much as I would have liked.
Hair out of the pendant is pretty neat.
Pascal signal.

Alright episode.

Be Very Afraid
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Be Very Afraid
Cassandra, clearly you need a song to control the rocks.
Oh hey, here's the followup to Varian betraying everyone! Finally.
Oh, the red rocks are appearing everywhere now. Really, the original black ones had a much more striking look. These are just ugly.
And people suddenly remember Varian betrayed everyone, after being all buddy buddy with him a couple episodes ago.
These red rocks seem pretty OP.
Wait, why would the potion that turned the rocks yellow stop these rocks? Just because they aren't red anymore.
Oh hey, they remembered Katelyna being a werewolf.
Varian, you didn't test it on the other red rocks?
Oh hey, Lance solo song. It's fun.
Communication via rocks.
Having Varian drop the vial then kick it back up was a bit much.
No real followup to that cobbler calling him a traitor.

This was the most interesting episode so far.

Overall, I'm disappointed by this season's drop in quality compared to season 2, but it isn't bad. The weirdest part is how there are big important things that they just don't explain for several episodes. We don't learn the king and queen still have memory loss until episode 7. We don't get a clear indication of if the black rocks are still destroying everything or not. It didn't address Varian's betrayal until this episode.

This is the last new episode of this set, BTW. We don't know when the next one is coming, but it appears to be a midseason special called "Cassandra's Revenge". Yup, we're at the midseason already.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I love the continuity in this show, episode 7 with the king and queens memory less had Max's book of Corona Law with a knife in it, and I find it funny that the episode shows the king has an obsession with eggs when the previous episode with teenage Flynn had them stealing a precious egg from Corona

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I had completely dropped that show mid season 2, saw a YouTube recommendation that caused me to raise my eyebrow, and now I'm like "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat the heck did I miss?!".

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
OK started Season 3 and
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
New episode aired today, haven't seen it yet. Episodes air at 7:05 AM. Yes, 05.

11. Pascal's Dragon - January 12, 2020
When Pascal befriends a baby dragon, he must decide between his new friend and the safety of Corona.

12. Islands Apart - January 19, 2020
After receiving a message from Owl, Rapunzel and Eugene travel back to the Island of the Lorbs, where they reconnect with the Captain of the Guard.

13. Cassandra's Revenge - January 26, 2020
Special one-hour episode
When Rapunzel feels ready to settle down and begin living a normal life, Cassandra returns to Corona with a score to settle. Their confrontation reaches epic proportions when Cass learns to wield the power of the black rocks.

14. Race to the Spire - February 2, 2020
Rapunzel, Eugene, and an old friend, Calliope, race to the Spire in an attempt to stop Cassandra from acquiring a deadly weapon.

15. A Tale of Two Sisters - February 9, 2020

16. Flynnpostor - February 16, 2020

17. Once a Handmaiden… - February 23, 2020

18. Plus Est En Vous - March 1, 2020

Special 90-minute episode (series finale)

Damn, it didn't hit me until I saw that label that this would be the end of the series.

Last edited:
Pascal's Dragon
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Pascal's Dragon
This is a pretty fun episode. I like the feather patterns on the dragon. The dragon gaining the powers of its friend and vice versa is odd. I like that the guards give up the chase with even the slightest excuse. The scene of Rapunzel and Pascal riding Little Big Guy was nice, and the ending was sweet. A bit of a rote story, but not bad.

Islands Apart
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Islands Apart
... The captain was missing? I admit, I never even noticed.
Baby Cassandra.
No shadow!
Eugene saying, "She doesn't have a shadow?" seems like it was added in later.
... I actually forgot about Cassandra's dad until Rapunzel mentioned not wanting him to lose Cass again. I thought by "captain", they meant the bearded member of the guard pair.
Neat flashback.
Bunch of evil Cass birds. This must be the "reuse old character models" episode.
Anime clash.
Good episode.

Cassandra's Revenge

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Cassandra's Revenge

- Ghost Girl is so over the top evil that it is hilarious.
- Varian trying to help Cassandra revert back to her normal self is just wrong.
- Ghost Girl confirming her status as the Big Bad of this season.
- Flynn worrying about being old and Lance constantly getting lost wasn't funny.
- I was disappointed that Rapunzel and Cassandra's confrontation was brief.

Overall, it was a nice episode.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Cassandra's Revenge
We did it. We achieved a level beyond Super Princess.

Though a bit padded, this was a pretty good story. The Varian and Cassandra duet especially was fantastic. I liked the action set pieces, and I think they did a better job with reformed Varian here than the rest of the season. Granted, it assumes off screen reforming for him that we really should have seen, but eh.

It was odd that everyone was so concerned about what Cassandra would do with her new incantation, and it seems like she... wasn't really going to do anything? We didn't get a real goal from her, at least, other than being a jerk. Granted, her instability is enough reason not to go it to her, but we didn't get that explanation.

Also, seems like everyone's following an out of sight out of mind policy with her now. Rapunzel is happy pretending she wasn't part of their journey during the intro song and they think everything's fine when they don't know what she's up to, and then she's maybe dead but probably not and it's back to party time.

I figured it would turn out that ghost girl is Zhan Tiri, but maybe not?

Good episodes.