• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wayward

Oct 27, 2017

Already answered in an earlier post but basically has to do with China not having a ratings board. Films in theaters have to be suitable for all audiences.

We know there's a complaint and we know the government is objecting and having the release delayed. The simple explanation is those things are related.

The simple explanation is people need to be more critical about the things they read on the internet.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The simple explanation is people need to be more critical about the things they read on the internet.

No the simple explanation is the complaint mechanism in China, run by the Chinese government, is holding up the release of a movie because of a complaint we know it received. That's a perfectly logical, reasonable chain of cause and effect. Imagining some additional reason no one has mentioned yet requires making assumptions for which we have no evidence.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone was laughing at Bruce's noises on my theater.
at my screening not everyone laughed but enough that it was notable and disappointing for a lee fan. it was a low point in an otherwise excellent movie, similar to the 'dead n———' monologue in pulp fiction. it is racist? hard to tell, tarantino gives himself enough plausible deniability when it comes to race politics. for example he has that aforementioned monologue but he also had written an incredible multidimensional role for samuel l jackson in the same movie. regarding his slight against lee, he's also exalted gordon liu in kill bill. my conclusion is that he writes whatever will be in the service of his stories, some choices i disagree with. sometimes it seems he writes these things just to get a bit more mileage out of the drama: instead of just defeating lee, cliff throws him into a car, instead of saying 'dead man' he says 'dead n———'.

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
No the simple explanation is the complaint mechanism in China, run by the Chinese government, is holding up the release of a movie because of a complaint we know it received. That's a perfectly logical, reasonable chain of cause and effect. Imagining some additional reason no one has mentioned yet requires making assumptions for which we have no evidence.

This story is trending now on reddit and the stickied mod post is this:

"This story is a big one and trying to get confirmation on it is tricky. The articles I've personally read only so far say things like "a source tells us," which isn't a concrete citation. Neither is Variety itself, who will often say things like "This actor is cast" when they're still in negotiations.

Since this is a very hot-button issue right now, and since Tarantino has yet to say anything publicly about it (declined to comment on this article, for example), if anyone has a better source - please post here."

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This story is trending now on reddit and the stickied mod post is this:

"This story is a big one and trying to get confirmation on it is tricky. The articles I've personally read only so far say things like "a source tells us," which isn't a concrete citation. Neither is Variety itself, who will often say things like "This actor is cast" when they're still in negotiations.

Since this is a very hot-button issue right now, and since Tarantino has yet to say anything publicly about it (declined to comment on this article, for example), if anyone has a better source - please post here."

That changes nothing I say in the post you quoted. Unless you dispute there is a mechanism to lodge complaints or that a complaint was filed, there's no contradiction.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I can highly disagree with what someone said, but I will defend their right to say it. When you encounter bad ideas, censoring them is not productive. Instead be a sponge that absorbs information and learns to filter out the useless stuff. Closing yourself off from the "the bad stuff" will only make you fragile. Especially when it comes to something aimed at you. Exceptions being hate speech and similar, nobody has to tolerate that stuff.

I disagree with some things QT does and says, but I can respect that he has some other princples than his bank account.

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
That changes nothing I say in the post you quoted. Unless you dispute there is a mechanism to lodge complaints or that a complaint was filed, there's no contradiction.

You're connecting the dots to fit your narrative when even Sony themselves don't know why the film is being delayed. You could be right but until someone with some official capacity like Tarantino or Lee comes out and makes a statement, it's all just guesswork.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're connecting the dots to fit your narrative when even Sony themselves don't know why the film is being delayed. You could be right but until someone with some official capacity like Tarantino or Lee comes out and makes a statement, it's all just guesswork.

It isn't guessing. There's a complaint and now a delay. Suggesting the two are related may ultimately be wrong but it's not a guess.

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't guessing. There's a complaint and now a delay. Suggesting the two are related may ultimately be wrong but it's not a guess.

guess / ɡes /
verb
estimate or suppose (something) without sufficient information to be sure of being correct.

Look, most of my comments aren't about China or racism or Asian American representation, all which I think should take priority in this thread. I'd just like journalists to be more diligent when writing articles, especially when it's on a story as heated as this one. Proper quotes, verifiable sources, etc. so that people don't go jumping to conclusions.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
guess / ɡes /
verb
estimate or suppose (something) without sufficient information to be sure of being correct.

Look, most of my comments aren't about China or racism or Asian American representation, all which I think should take priority in this thread. I'd just like journalists to be more diligent when writing articles, especially when it's on a story as heated as this one. Proper quotes, verifiable sources, etc. so that people don't go jumping to conclusions.

Ok first of all guess in the context you used it means:

1. to form an opinion of from little or no evidence

You used the word to differentiate from my assertion it's a reasonable conclusion based on the evidence and the simplest explanation given what we know. If you want to use a meaning of the word guess that includes that, so be it. But you picked it because it suggests reaching a conclusion with no information. You guess what the roll of a die might produce.

And "verifiable source" doesn't mean a publicly named source. Please don't play the "unnamed sources mean nothing" card here.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
White superiority? What? Haven't seen this film but were talking about the man who made Django Unchanged and Inglorious Basterds. Do you think he is a White nationalist?
doesn't stop him from being effectively racist. People tend to ignore a lot of shit if they like the films of people
both can be wrong at the same time but some of ya'll act like you can't agree with anything China does ever. You'd probably find a way to shit on China spending billions on solar or something

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
doesn't stop him from being effectively racist. People tend to ignore a lot of shit if they like the films of people
both can be wrong at the same time but some of ya'll act like you can't agree with anything China does ever. You'd probably find a way to shit on China spending billions on solar or something

China is actually already spending billions on solar. Their reliance on coal has not been good for air quality.

Nov 30, 2018
I doubt it

Tarantino has yet to say this himself

Anything to against China gets "yeah they're against China go them!"

I took a dump today and was like "yeah take that China"

Last edited:

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the clip on You Tube and it's not great. I think the Bruce Lee portrayal was poor.

Based on comments it sounded like Pitt beat the shit out of Lee, but it didn't come off that way to me.

If anything the feeling I get from it is that Bruce Lee might have been arrogant, but it doesn't
He's a joke in the sense that you're supposed to be amused, but not in the sense that it suggests he's a fake or that he doesn't have great skills. It's just that he's depicted as arrogant. Pitt's character is intended to also be skilled and they don't really have much of a proper fight. At the start, Lee delivers a kick that knocks Pitt's character down. He asks Lee to do the same kick again, which he agrees to, then Brad counters it and throws Lee down. The more freeform fighting right at the end is very short and indecisive.

This is what I don't get. I haven't seen the movie, but I watched the clip online. My impression before seeing the clip was that Bruce gets his ass kicked. It seemed very back and forth to me. Bruce getting up after hitting the car, and popping himself back into form was badass.

Bruce was portrayed as arrogant, but so was Pitt. So are 90% of QT's male charecters.

I guess I also missed what was stereo typical about Bruce's portrayal in this scene, haven't seen the rest I admit.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I disliked Tarantino's use of Bruce in this scene. It felt like a cheap and easy way to prop up the main character. That being said, Tarantino certainly isn't the only one guilty of this and I find it absolutely hypocritical that the CCP censors would ban the film when their own industry's portrayal of Bruce is downright insulting to the man's legacy as well.

Ip Man 3

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I support Tarantino/the studio, whoever made this decision. Fuck censorship and appealing to China.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
does it hurt being so woke you support orwelian nightmares

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Fuck it.
In this thread we've literally seen people come in to
— celebrate one more thread to fuck China by posting "Fuck China" because their stupid brain really don't know what else to say
— think the Bruce Lee controversy can simply turn the page because "Fuck China"
— show their racist pride by posting "Fuck Bruce Lee", a Chinese American who died 40 years ago and has nothing to do with this pending cold war.
— suggest the Chinese audience are incapable of understanding some stupid Hollywood movie plot.
— express their confusion why the shit above is ban worthy.
— dogpile one poster with uncreative driveby posts, which is straight up harassment.
— and as usual question Asians' uncomfortable feeling towards certain things because they really couldn't see it that way.

And yet they all try to convince me anti-Asian racism doesn't exist on this liberal site where all beautiful progressive minds reside. Congrats if this is not how you experience this thread or era in general, reality is surely a meaningless word because it differs from person to person and yours sounds much brighter than mine.

And remember, dogpiling one misworded poster which can happen to anyone when hotheaded, is just pushing them to be more defensive and that won't benefit anyone or any discussion. Let me just quote this post from a closed thread which is better worded than I ever wanna be:
when someone from a minority group expresses anxiety over possible violence or bigotry against them and their loved ones and extended sympathies with their national/ethnic group, even if it has somewhat sloppy reasoning because they are indeed experiencing anxieties and the sources for it are actually pretty complex (historical sociopolitical tensions, racism, international disputes, ideological frameworks coming to a head), just shouting anti-whatever slogans like FUCK CHINA FREE HONG KONG is not useful to anyone but yourself and those like you who just want to feel a smug satisfaction that you are "one of the good guys".

Just remind you, that was a thread where a fucking moron got away with saying Chinese students should go back to their country because they can afford Ferraris; yet in the same thread a Chinese Canadian was forced to talk about his attitude towards CCP, was soon made fun of because he revealed himself a Canadian citizen, and still suspected of being a propaganda agent lmao.

Fuck your woke Era, so woke you can't come up with your own shit.
Good night.

Last edited: