• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
yeah guys
im sure china has the best interests of their people in mind when they make these decisions

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah, you don't get to pretend like you misunderstand what this topic is about. The OP is very clear about this being about the Chinese government, the post you replied to talked about what the Chinese government is doing to Tibet. This whole entire thread is about the Chinese government.

You straight up said you're okay with what they're doing if it means that this scene would get removed.
I said nothing about censoring or removing anything. But if you think me not wanting Asians reduced to caricatures in Hollywood means I'm supporting the Chinese government then I'm sorry you feel that way.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
china doing the lord's work. if they ban all movies then hollywood will be destroyed, then we can get rid of all of the monopolies and free speech plaguing the united states

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I said nothing about censoring or removing anything. But if you think me not wanting Asians reduced to caricatures in Hollywood means I'm supporting the Chinese government then I'm sorry you feel that way.
So, in a thread about the Chinese government censoring you say this:

Fuck Tarantino

if "Chinese influence" means not having to deal with Hollywood's constant bullshit portrayals of Asians and Asian men specifically then give me all the Chinese influence please.

And it means you're not in support of censorship? Stop BSing. lol

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
Variety is a jerk-off extension for Hollywood PR so I wouldn't take anything written there that seriously. Considering the timing, it sounds like they're taking negative controversy around the film and spinning it to capitalize on the China hate that's so popular right now.

China doesn't have anything like the MPAA either so there's no such thing as film ratings and all movies screening in theaters are required to be viewable by an audience of all ages. I'm sure there's censoring of political content but with the way things are designed these decisions to allow or not allow a film can be subjective.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Just to be clear and why people will be getting angry at that, which it's your opinion and that's fine, but you're not supporting Bruce Lee's legacy by siding with China. You're supporting the idea that a state should be able to edit art to conform to their preferences. Those are very different things.

Bruce Lee may or may not be how he was portrayed (I never met him, did you?). China doesn't get to decide what's in a fictional work.
Bruce Lee didn't live 200 years ago . Tons of people met him and I've yet to read an account stating he was arrogant in fact all accounts say he was quite humble and down to earth.
But that doesn't mean I'm siding with China over anything . It's still art even if not we'll done

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Variety is a jerk-off extension for Hollywood PR so I wouldn't take anything written there that seriously. Considering the timing, it sounds like they're taking negative controversy around the film and spinning it to capitalize on the China hate that's so popular right now.

China doesn't have anything like the MPAA either so there's no such thing as film ratings and all movies screening in theaters are required to be viewable by an audience of all ages. I'm sure there's censoring of political content but with the way things are designed these decisions to allow or not allow a film can be subjective.

The MPAA is an entirely voluntary, private organization. Anyone can ignore them and there are no laws enforcing ratings or who can view movies rated a certain way. The fact there is a national film board in China and that complaints can be filed with it to force changes to movies makes it actual censorship by a government.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cheering on censorship is wanting censorship, yeah?
Except in this case it's literal censorship
I mean if that's how you guys feel that's how you feel. I'm not asking for anything to be censored or removed from this shit movie. What's done is done. I only said that if wanting to appeal to the Chinese market means better portrayals of Asians then I'm all for it. You guys can take that however you want. With that being said. Fuck Tarantino. RIP Bruce Lee, you will forever be the GOAT.

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
The MPAA is an entirely voluntary, private organization. Anyone can ignore them and there are no laws enforcing ratings or who can view movies rated a certain way. The fact there is a national film board in China and that complaints can be filed with it to force changes to movies makes it actual censorship by a government.

US theaters aren't going to sell R-rated movie tickets to children and no distributor or exhibitor will want to put an unrated movie in theaters. And yeah you can't get arrested or fined for watching whatever movie you want but how is that an issue?

And I'm not stating that the government doesn't censor films there, only saying that all films in theaters need to be viewable by a general audience because film ratings don't exist in China.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Accusations of shilling
holy shit the China atroturfers in this thread.

y'all are getting played.

Last edited:

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Wanting better portrayal of Asians means censorship to you?

this thread is fucking wild, man

"Bruce Lee was inaccurately portrayed, his characterization channeled tired Asian stereotypes a touch much, and it was insulting as well as poor optics how he was used as a foil to boost a white dude"

100% bad, 1000% worth criticizing, but also example #1000000 of a movie dropping the ball in this area and more or less in the usual range of shittiness

jumping to "good job censoring the movie, China" is like...so ridiculously disproportionate

this isn't the instance of Tarantino nonsense that requires involving a genocidal authoritarian regime, getting mad on Twitter would do just fine

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, why does China care that much about Bruce Lee to censor that scene?

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just to be clear and why people will be getting angry at that, which it's your opinion and that's fine, but you're not supporting Bruce Lee's legacy by siding with China. You're supporting the idea that a state should be able to edit art to conform to their preferences. Those are very different things.

Bruce Lee may or may not be how he was portrayed (I never met him, did you?). China doesn't get to decide what's in a fictional work.

How dare a woman get angry about Hollywood depiction of her dead father right?

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think that person you quoted meant that Lee is American. I don't think many people know that his mother is half German.
Nationality wise he may be American but the world will always see him as Chinese first. Asians are prominently seen as perpetual foreigners after all.

Last edited:

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US theaters aren't going to sell R-rated movie tickets to children and no distributor or exhibitor will want to put an unrated movie in theaters. And yeah you can't get arrested or fined for watching whatever movie you want but how is that an issue?

And I'm not stating that the government doesn't censor films there, only saying that all films in theaters need to be viewable by a general audience because film ratings don't exist in China.

And that's enforced by the government, which has final say on what can and can't be shown. For any reason or no reason.

The point is in the US a theater can (and small ones do) show any film they want to anyone they want. No one can say they can't and no one can punish them with fines or jail time.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was just reading a thread on gaming side about people crying censorship about SMT #FE Encore...and now I see people here siding with ACTUAL censorship by a tyranical Government because they can't differentiate between critcisizing a movie and CENSORING it.

I'm so confused...

Edit: And yeah, good on Tarantino.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Anyway censoring this movie is silly because by censoring it, the ending no longer works the way it was intended.

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
And that's enforced by the government, which has final say on what can and can't be shown. For any reason or no reason.

The point is in the US a theater can (and small ones do) show any film they want to anyone they want. No one can say they can't and no one can punish them with fines or jail time.

Yeah, the decisions made in China are arbitrary but same can be said for the MPAA on what films get an R or PG-13 rating. The thing is though there are safeguards to prevent younger people from seeing certain movies in the US and those safeguards don't exist in China. Growing up I had to sneak into R rated movies all the time by buying tickets to non R-rated ones or I had to convince my mom to take me. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only American kid who had to do that.

And yes, smaller theaters in the US can show any film they want but I also doubt they'd be eager or even willing to sell a ticket to a Gaspar Noe film to an unaccompanied 11 year old. If you're an 11 year old in China though you can buy a ticket to any movie you want because the censors had already deemed it appropriate for someone your age to watch.

If you're saying that this lack of safeguard for Chinese audiences = government censorship then sure... it's government censorship. My point is just that not every decision made is due to some over-looming political ideology and the need to uphold the state. Sometimes it's just some dude in China seeing a very violent or graphic scene and thinking... kids shouldn't see this.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the decisions made in China are arbitrary but same can be said for the MPAA on what films get an R or PG-13 rating. The thing is though there are safeguards to prevent younger people from seeing certain movies in the US and those safeguards don't exist in China. Growing up I had to sneak into R rated movies all the time by buying tickets to non R-rated ones or I had to convince my mom to take me. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only American kid who had to do that.

And yes, smaller theaters in the US can show any film they want but I also doubt they'd be eager or even willing to sell a ticket to a Gaspar Noe film to an unaccompanied 11 year old. If you're an 11 year old in China though you can buy a ticket to any movie you want because the censors had already deemed it appropriate for someone your age to watch.

If you're saying that this lack of safeguard for Chinese audiences = government censorship then sure... it's government censorship. My point is just that not every decision made is due to some over-looming political ideology and the need to uphold the state. Sometimes it's just some dude in China seeing a very violent or graphic scene and thinking... kids shouldn't see this.

But it wasn't that in this case unless you're arguing the complaint and the delay are unrelated.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018

How are the two events relates? I mean, it's terrible, but its the same as disregarding american opinions because they are deemed a colective of morons who voted Trump into presidency. China is deplorable on so many levels, but that doesn't mean you are siding with authoritarians when your opinions happens to coincide with their politics. On top of that, people are trying to tell actual asians how they should feel in regards to how the only asian character in the film is used as a mere buffoon, a trait that has accompanied Hollywood and their asian depictions for a very long time.

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
But it wasn't that in this case unless you're arguing the complaint and the delay are unrelated.

Lots of posters in this thread criticizing China for its censorship in general without understanding why they do it. We're not only talking about Tarantino's film here.

But I'll stand by my first post in this thread. Variety is a trade publication so I'm not sure if that means they have different standards than PBS when it comes to journalism but I've seen lots of people in Hollywood use it as an extension of their PR campaign. Producers use it to pressure directors / actors into making decisions, negative reviews get changed to positive ones, generating fake hype for a script, etc. I think someone working on Tarantino's film saw a good opportunity to address its biggest controversy and also capitalize on the anger against China.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of posters in this thread criticizing China for its censorship in general without understanding why they do it. We're not only talking about Tarantino's film here.

But I'll stand by my first post in this thread. Variety is a trade publication so I'm not sure if that means they have different standards than PBS when it comes to journalism but I've seen lots of people in Hollywood use it as an extension of their PR campaign. Producers use it to pressure directors / actors into making decisions, negative reviews get changed to positive ones, generating fake hype for a script, etc. I think someone working on Tarantino's film saw a good opportunity to address its biggest controversy and also capitalize on the anger against China.

And they just got lucky that it was delayed for some other reason unrelated to the complaint?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Im surprised the CCP might be offended by that shitty Bruce Lee scene, to be honest i thought it might be more due to the fact he was a very famous Hong Kong descent actor & pro American & they didn't want him back in the spotlight at the moment.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
All these posts applauding Tarantino are weird... he wasn't going to make much money in China anyway with this movie and him having a hero moment over a questionable portrayal of Bruce Lee isn't really earned.

Then you have people saying things like "good going China," like China had the interests of anyone but their state agenda.

Weird thread.