• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

j9IBQSR.png

What's the Taroverse?

The Taroverse is a fictional universe named after its creator Yoko "The Moonface" Taro.

At its core are the NieR and Drakengard videogames, however it also includes several different Mangas, Novels, Audiodramas and even Stageplays. Most of its focus lies on personal drama crossed with metaphysical themes. Some of its inspirations include works such as Kentaro Miura's Manga "Berserk" or the famous anime show "Neon Genesis Evangelion", as well as real life events such as the death of Taro's own childhood friend or the 9/11 incident.

So this is like a big and overwhelming thing to get into?

Not at all. Due to the way Taro enjoys his storytelling, the videogames can all be enjoyed independently of each other. A different matter is the other material that usually expands on the aforementioned games, however you don't need to worry about them either unless you really want to get it all.

I've heard every game features two dozen endings and needs to replayed 69 times nakedly while sitting in a circle of Idolmaster figures.

Unfortunately, there has been quite a misunderstanding in the way endings work.

Within the Taroverse, an ending does not constitute the ending of the game, but usually the ending of a certain timeline or timeframe.

Only NieR and the first Half of NieR: Automata can be considered to require "replays" of content you've already seen. However, these replays nonetheless feature new story elements, cutscenes and characters.

While it is understandable that the proposition sounds off turning, it is very much recommended to give it a try, as the stories are built around this structure and do not give a proper conclusion without.

What makes Taro's works so special?

"Yoko Taro is the very definition of a contrarian. He goes against the grain and instills his own essence in games whether by gameplay or by his principles in life.

Every game he made has a message he wants to convey all wrapped up in a beautiful but sad story that will surely pull your heart strings and at the same time make you happy about life.

I can only say that playing Yoko Taro games has definitely affected me and my outlook on life as well as the decisions and repercussion I make deeply."
killatopak

Why the moonmask?

What gave you the impression it's a mask?

wNzdANg.gif

Contents of the Taroverse

Videogames:

Drakengard 1 / Drag-On Dragoon 1 (PS2)
22TgGq7.jpg

Yoko Taro's first directed work, videogame criticism disguised as disturbing dynasty warriors clone. Often seen as an "anti-game" in the way it wants to punish and frustrate the player, it garnered a small, early cult following that eventually lead the way to much bigger success.

In this tale of madness, the evil empire is after goddess of the seal Furiae, willing to use her to pollinate the world with the Seeds of Resurrection. We follow Furiae's brother Caim and his troop of asylum-runaways on their adventure to save her and the world of Midgard.

Featuring murder, childmurder, cannibalism, pedophilia, more murder, mutantangels, spacebabies, genocide, infanticide, people eating babies, babies eating people, magic nukes, even more murder, Hitler's biggest fan, suicide, incest, NTR, racism and really just a lot of murder.

Drakengard 2 / Drag-On Dragoon 2 (PS2) (Not created by Yoko Taro and thereby considered noncanon)
VudUzMG.jpg

Taking place after Drakengard 1's Ending A, this title follows hero Nowe, fresh Knight of the Seal, an order built to prevent the end of the world, their cost: Human sacrifice. No longer able to stand for his, he soon takes fate into his own hands, meeting old and new comrades.

Improving on much of Drakengard 1's gameplay, it has bene much more favorably received.
However, this title has not been written by Taro and is thereby considered to be part of a different non-canon timeline,

Drakengard 3 / Drag-On Dragoon 3 (PS3)
kKLfsEs.png

300 years prior to Drakengard. This is the story of Intoner Zero, an angel who was given the power of the Song. Her only goal: Finding and killing her angel sisters. But if it were just that easy. Why is she after her sisters?

Made on a rather shoe-string budget and with rather limited input of Taro, this has been his most divisive game. But don't let that put you off, at it's core it is nonetheless a unique game worth playing. Due to a major shift in tone, it is more comedy than anything else, but don't let the fact fool your tears.

Expanded by 6 little but expansive story DLC's.

NieR (PS3/XBOX360)
yiwDboU.jpg

Taking place 1300 years after Drakengard 1's Ending E, this game follows the sad story of a man searching a cure to save his sick daughter from a disease called "The black scrawl". Soon he happens to find himself in a fight between Humanity and monsters called "Shades". But not everything is as it seems…

Released originally in two versions "NieR Replicant" and "NieR Gestalt", the west only ever saw the release of "NieR Gestalt". Their only difference is the protagonist, as it was decided for marketing reasons that an old gruffy dude would be more suitable to the western audience.

NieR: Automata (PS4/STEAM/XBX1)
aQAXHwz.jpg

Taking place 10.000 years after NieR's Ending E.
After an invasion of alien created biomachines, mankind has abandoned earth in favor of a secret hideout on the moon. From there, an army of androids was sent into the war against the alien robots. Biomachines and Androids have been locked into an eternal proxy-war for their creators. We follow Android Number 2, Type B on her quest to clear the earth of alien presence. Will she be able to save mankind from extinction?

Created in association with PlatinumGames, this is undeniably Taro's first, real breakout hit, receiving mainstream coverage and universal praise, it has sold more than 2 Million copies since release, making it his best selling title.

SINoALICE (iOS/Android, releasing in the west in 2019)
kxkW8QP.jpg

A mobile-gacha game based on Taro's first script for NieR.
"Delivered by their Authors, what these girls will weave is "the worst tale" ever told.

There is no concept of direction here.
Every last inch of this place is filled with books.
This world is called "Library".
A space in which stories and words reign supreme.

Regretful sobbing can be heard.
Sorrowful groaning can be heard.
Scornful laughing can be heard.
Wrathful roaring can be heard.

These are all the voices of Characters from countless stories.
The cursed words of something inhuman.

They all share a single wish.
"The revival of my Author".
For such a wish to come true, they must slaughter every other Character.

No matter what sort of ending such an act might bring…"

http://theworsttale.tumblr.com/post/159770130421/story-overview

Manga:

Utahime Five
(Completed, 3 Volumes)
IFGcUrm.jpg

A humorous manga, acting as a prequel to Drakengard 3, showing us what the group of misfit intoner have been up to prior to the game. Japan only. Scanlations exist.

Shi Ni Itaru Aka
(Completed, 3 Volumes)
MLX0Dwh.jpg

This manga servers as abridge between Drakengard 3's Ending A and Drakengard 1. It follows the story of Brother One and shines a light on certain events that made Drakengard 1's protagonist Caim the lovable sociopath he is today. Japan only. Scanlations exist.

Thou Shalt Not Die /
Kimi Shi ni Tamou Koto Nakare
(Running, ? Volumes, Current: 6)
j6CppUI.jpg

Yoko Taro's new, original manga, following the story of a squadron of japanese childsoldiers with magic abilities. Officially not part of the rest of the Taroverse as of now, which would make it the first disconnected work he has ever done. However, given the contents of the manga and the stories of Grimoire NieR, it is speculated that this Manga shows the First Crusade against the Legion, events mentioned in Grimoire NieR

As of now, the manga is available exclusively in japanese, an english release has been licensed by Yenpress and will be available digitally in the future.

Stageplays:

YorHA
0u1rEul.png

A prequel stageplay to NieR: Automata, detailing A2's story prior to the game. A lengthy official summary of the stageplay is available over here, however a summary of this story is also featured in a sidequest of NieR: Automata.

YorHA Boys
dBzNd3K.jpg

A stageplay detailing the school life and training of fresh YorHa units

Thou Shalt Not Die Zero
hyhzAzk.png

A stageplay of Taro's Manga of the same title. No information on its content as of now.

Other

Grimoire NieR
hbCpyfg.jpg

A lorebook containing shortstories, timeline of events, character profiles, concept-art and interviews with different members of the development team.

An official English release does not exist, however, dedicated members translated the most important stuff for this google doc.

NieR Drama CD
F2VjSx5.jpg

A collection of different short stories taking place before and after the story of "NieR", featuring old and new characters. Japanese only.

NieR Comics - 3 Volumes (Noncanon)
A0Ohoy3.jpg

Free comics created to promote the release of "NieR", however, they are not written by Yoko Taro and do not have place in the Taroverse' continuity, thereby considered noncanon.

NieR Automata Novel 1 - The long story
VqoesOT.jpg

A novelization of the game NieR: Automata. Featuring old and new story bits as well as completely new perspective on the events of the game.

NieR Automata Novel 2 - The short story
EW5011Z.jpg

A collection of NieR: Automata related shortstories such as "The Fire of Prometheus".
Announced for an english releaase for early 2019.
NieR Automata Novel 3 - YoRHa Boys
RUXMNV3.jpg
A novelization of the aforementioned YoRHA Boys Stageplay.
No english release as of now.

Drakengard 3 Side Story Novel
Am13MEh.jpg

A midle length novel, detailing the happenings in the new timeline E of Zero's story.
However, there has not been a full English translation or summary of it yet.

Drakengard 3 Novellas
x97YYCb.png

Little Novellas giving background on all of Drakengard 3's character prior to the game.
Unfortunately, the website on which to read them has been taken down.​

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hektor

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The Music

From the first Drakengard's cacophony of disturbance to NieR's otherworldly beauty and danceable electro-remixes, the Taroverse is as popular for its music as much as its stories. Jump in and give it a listen:

Live Concerts

NieR and NieR Automata Vinyl release

ScO87Kw.jpg

Upcoming:

- - - - -​

Where can I throw my hard earned money?

Square Enix EU Store

Square Enix US Store

Square Enix JP Store
(Help from Tenso.com or WhiteRabbitExpress required)

CDJapan

Playasia

Worthwhile resources:

NieR-ERA Discordserver

NieR: Automata ResetEra-OT by BRSxIgnition

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread by BRSxIgnition

NieR: Automata Fanart Thread by EverGarden

Fire Sanctuary

NieR Library Twitter

NieR Live Concert Readings

Nier.wikia.com

Nierautomata.wikie.fextralife.com

drakengard.wikia.com

Sinoalice.wiki

DarkLD's screenshot LP's

Clemps Video Summaries

Aurora Valkyrie Videos

Taroverse Timeline

The infamous Joystiq incident

Grimoire NieR Google Doc

M13mQaP.png

Last edited:

killatopak

Oct 26, 2017
Yoko Taro is the very definition of a contrarian. He goes against the grain and instills his own essence in games whether by gameplay or by his principles in life.

Every game he made has a message he wants to convey all wrapped up in a beautiful but sad story that will surely pull your heart strings and at the same time make you happy about life.

I can only say that playing Yoko Taro games has definitely affected me and my outlook on life as well as the decisions and repercussion I make deeply.

PS: The music on his games are great if not the greatest that I have ever heard.

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the thread already. :D

It will never not feel weird to see how everyone calls him Taro, though I guess Yokoverse doesn't have the same ring to it.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing thread man.

I hope we get Drakengard 4/Ni3R this gen and with a bigger budget. I just want more Yoko Taro games.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome!! Especially cuz I've wanted to get into the other games and info of the series after playing Automata, so this is very helpful!

I've heard every game features two dozen endings and needs to replayed 69 times nakedly while sitting in a circle of Idolmaster figures.

Also this made me LMAO p hard ahahaha

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like playing Drakengard 3, but I still have gotten multiple endings in it and plan on getting all the DLC for it eventually. I think that's a tribute to what he can accomplish because there are very few games that I stick with that I actively dislike playing.

Tyrael

Oct 26, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
Oh, good timing! After giving up on Drakengard 3 two years ago, Im now trying again to finish it. I don't know why but its being a lot easier to digest it this time.

But man, this game really is a technical trainwreck...

Well, at least the music is nice!

OP
OP
Hektor

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Oh, good timing! After giving up on Drakengard 3 two years ago, Im now trying again to finish it. I don't know why but its being a lot easier to digest it this time.

This reminded me that i entirely forgot about actually posting the Drakengard OST's.

Great news folks!!! I officially reached the maximum capacity for picture count in a single post RIP

Not sure how i'm gonna organize any future releases

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

The music is awesome but i'm still recovering from
that stupid boss fight where i ragequit but still gets the song stuck in my head

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
This reminded me that i entirely forgot about actually posting the Drakengard OST's.

Great news folks!!! I officially reached the maximum capacity for picture count in a single post RIP

Not sure how i'm gonna organize any future releases

Hmmm.

You could probably edit your second post in the future to add new releases.

Also the OT looks great!

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
My Amazon Japan emails are 90% Nier-related after buying the Gestalt soundtrack CD and the Automata guides. I'm okay with this lol

That Thou Shalt Not Die manga is intriguing.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
It will never not feel weird to see how everyone calls him Taro, though I guess Yokoverse doesn't have the same ring to it.

I can see how the confusion keeps going - the name order used in English for countries/languages which use given names second varies, and people probably feel weird calling him Yoko because of the way English-speakers immediately associate it with female given names. A lot of people assume that 'Taro' is his surname as a result.

I usually use his full name because it feels odd to just use Yoko for the above reason, but it also feels strange to talk about him just using his given name.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT!

Small correction: Gestalt is the dad version of Nier, not Replicant.

I can't seem to shake the DrakeNier mood. I need help.

Can't wait for the next game! <3

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So was the english release of Thou Shalt Not Die V.1 delayed? I paid for a preorder but now it says December 31st.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Awesome OT! I've never even heard of Thou Shalt Not Die but I need to check it out now, since it might be connected to the war against Legion. That would be cool as fuck if it was true. And it has to be connected to SOMETHING. This is Taro we are talking about...

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing thorugh Nier:Replicant right now and since I'm not that fluent in japanese I had to dig some scenes from the beginning of the game and damn, papa Nier is so different from Brother Nier, why are you always so angry dad?

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Yoko taro was ahead of his time when it came to angry dads in videogames.

Now every video game is about angry dads.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing thorugh Nier:Replicant right now and since I'm not that fluent in japanese I had to dig some scenes from the beginning of the game and damn, papa Nier is so different from Brother Nier, why are you always so angry dad?
"What kind of idiot sings a song without knowing what it means?"

Well it's funny.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Papa Nier is the GOAT. Didnt think his characterization was of an angry dad, he felt pretty human. Of course he changes through the story but well, he goes through some shit to be fair.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
"What kind of idiot sings a song without knowing what it means?"

Well it's funny.
that quote is kinda fitting xD, but I'm glad the japanese in this game is simple enough so I can understand most of it
Papa Nier is the GOAT. Didnt think his characterization was of an angry dad, he felt pretty human. Of course he changes through the story but well, he goes through some shit to be fair.
I've only seen the first talk with weiss so yea he seemed grumpy to me but I don't blame him xD
Brother Nier seems way more chill

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great thread!

I still need to dig into Drakengard. I own both 1 & 3 but haven't got around to them.

OP
OP
Hektor

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Great thread!

I still need to dig into Drakengard. I own both 1 & 3 but haven't got around to them.

Be sur to make an LTTP whenever you do!

The first one is quite... special to say the least.

As it turns out this is unfortuantely only the name of the next big story update for SINoALICE.

No reality TV show :( at least for now

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
(Can I even bump this?)
Just finished og Nier, did a little LTTP but it sank so i wanted to talk about it

I liked the gameplay better than automata but felt they could have been crazier in the level designs, replaying the game killed it a bit for me compared to automata but I liked it even though it was a slog to finish it

I'll take a break then try to finish drakengard now ^^

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
So I beat the orginal Nier a few months back and really enjoyed my time with it (I even liked the gameplay).

As Drakengard 3 is currently on sale on EU PSN I finally grabbed that to get more Taroverse. But what about that performance? Nier:Gestalt did not run that great either, but Drakengard drops frames even when nothing is happening on-screen. I am curious to know what happened during development? This game must be the worst performing PS3 game I encountered yet (plus you cannot call it good looking without keeping a straight face).