• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Going to clear up with how everything reached this point since that article failed to.

1. Last year in China there was a extremely popular TV show akin to "The Voice" but themed after hip-hop and rap. Kris Wu was one of the instructors on the show along with MC Jin.
2. PG One, one of the contestants on this show ended up winning this thing and garnered a huge following of fans as well as fame in a very short amount of time. He also joined a underground hip-hop group "Red Flower".
3. Sometimes around the start of January this year , PG One was photographed by paparazzi heading home midnight in the arms of a famous actress in China. (She's married to a famous actor)
4. Naturally this thing blew up around social media in China, soon followed by the media digging up all kinds of dirt on PG One: Copywrite issues with Marvel over using the name Magneto, drug use, songs that advocates drug use, sexual harassment, etc.
5. The government at this point started pulling those songs off the internet and blacklisted him in the entertainment industry. His more rabid fans went crazy and started attacking the government on social media and there was talks of self immolation in public places. The Red Flower group he joined was reported saying they wanted to topple the government.
6. So now the Chinese government flat out just banned the entire hip-hop culture.

This would be great in the OP

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Good question if this would affect the soundtrack, however if they had wanted to block BP from showing they could have just outright done that.

Is BP soundtrack that "gangsta hiphop" soundtrack? From reading it, not all HipHop is banned, but especially that rude one ala "I cum on you so you look like you are a Madame Tussaud wax figurine!" and songs that promote drug use. Like I said. Jay Chou, JJ Lin etc. all have HipHop-"like" songs and I doubt that affects them.

Oct 27, 2017
If someone is equally as guilt of censorship it means they are also doing it to the same degree. Also guilt means that they are also doing it to any degree.

I agree with your point, but I don't see how it's in practice different because in my view the end result is the same, hence my remark about achieving the same results through different means. In both countries you have an apathetic percentage of the population flanked on both sized by polarizing views of the situation because of what the government is doing to manipulate public opinion.

But I get your point. My point is that China would do more if they could. I'm also positive that Trump and company also would if they could. And while we may disagree, but the US government, under its current leadership, is guilty of that in my point of view.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Going to clear up with how everything reached this point since that article failed to.

1. Last year in China there was a extremely popular TV show akin to "The Voice" but themed after hip-hop and rap. Kris Wu was one of the instructors on the show along with MC Jin.
2. PG One, one of the contestants on this show ended up winning this thing and garnered a huge following of fans as well as fame in a very short amount of time. He also joined a underground hip-hop group "Red Flower".
3. Sometimes around the start of January this year , PG One was photographed by paparazzi heading home midnight in the arms of a famous actress in China. (She's married to a famous actor)
4. Naturally this thing blew up around social media in China, soon followed by the media digging up all kinds of dirt on PG One: Copywrite issues with Marvel over using the name Magneto, drug use, songs that advocates drug use, sexual harassment, etc.
5. The government at this point started pulling those songs off the internet and blacklisted him in the entertainment industry. His more rabid fans went crazy and started attacking the government on social media and there was talks of self immolation in public places. The Red Flower group he joined was reported saying they wanted to topple the government.
6. So now the Chinese government flat out just banned the entire hip-hop culture.
How's this supposed to help? Just shows the government is petty and vindictive.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I agree with your point, but I don't see how it's in practice different because in my view the end result is the same, hence my remark about achieving the same results through different means. In both countries you have an apathetic percentage of the population flanked on both sized by polarizing views of the situation.

But I get your point. My point is that China would do more if they could. I'm also positive that Trump and company also would if they could. And while we may disagree, but the US government, under its current leadership, is guilty of that in my point of view.

It might be guilty, but the difference is that the older generation can choose what to watch. People know what to get when they watch Fox News and can change to other channels/get their information from the Internet. Young Chinese can easily get that from the net, but older generations dont even know how that works and get their information from TV-channels that always has the same sentinement.

Media manipulation sadly happens everywhere. During the Crimea conflict, German public channels almost "literally" had to apologize on the next day because they said Ukrainian Forces were Russian, because the image is "Russian forces are violent" so it must have been them. It fit a certain narrative.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is BP soundtrack that "gangsta hiphop" soundtrack? From reading it, not all HipHop is banned, but especially that rude one ala "I cum on you so you look like you are a Madame Tussaud wax figurine!" and songs that promote drug use. Like I said. Jay Chou, JJ Lin etc. all have HipHop-"like" songs and I doubt that affects them.
Ah, ok then it should be safe as I can't imagine a marvel movie featuring any extreme lyrics
How's this supposed to help? Just shows the government is petty and vindictive.

Don't think that post was meant as a defense but just to explain how it came to this

Edit: just realised you were probably not commenting on the post but on the situation

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Wow
Shades of Tipper Gore.
China seems pretty conflicted about how to approach it's youth in these new times of cultural transition beyond suppressing their access to the rest of the world.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi

Sounds like what the US did about marijuana when blues and jazz were becoming popular. Now look at our prisons.

Oct 27, 2017
It might be guilty, but the difference is that the older generation can choose what to watch. People know what to get when they watch Fox News and can change to other channels/get their information from the Internet. Young Chinese can easily get that from the net, but older generations dont even know how that works and get their information from TV-channels that always has the same sentinement.

Media manipulation sadly happens everywhere. During the Crimea conflict, German public channels almost "literally" had to apologize on the next day because they said Ukrainian Forces were Russian, because the image is "Russian forces are violent" so it must have been them. It fit a certain narrative.

Agreed on the younger vs older generations, but there's also indoctrination. In the US, Fox is what the older generation as a majority watches despite having readily available options. Now, of course, China is culpable of generations of indoctrination, but despite that, the younger generation is still protesting on social media. And obviously I'm not suggesting that the current US government is responsible for Fox's current viewership, but they are doing everything they can to discredit other news outlets in favor of those that sing their tune. Judging from the current media landscape in the US, their approach is quite effective at achieving the same results. The difference is this is what Trump and company can do at this point in time to indoctrinate the masses.

I'm not arguing who's right or wrong, what's better or worse. I'm just saying that both China and the US, at an official government level, are equally culpable for doing the same thing. The only difference is China can get away with more. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind - at all - that if Trump had his way, he'd do everything China does, if not more if he could also get away with it.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
No, where are people getting this from? That's honestly insane. More likely is a world without a Hegemon. At least for our lifetime.

I mean, the vast majority of International Relations experts have been predicting an eclipse of the United States for a while. World without a hegemon seems unlikely but would be nice. It's not insane at all to think that the PRC, which has been making vast technological and economic strides in our lifetimes, is on track to vastly outstrip its competition. The People's Republic is vastly competitive and certainly views the global stage as ripe for the taking. It's naive to think that they would see a non-hegemonic landscape and refuse to capitalize (heh) on that opportunity. Furthermore, the only way a non-hegemonic global economy would occur would be if the United States experienced a total failure to project power (which admittedly is likely). Despite the political instabilities under Hu Jintao's administration, Xi Jinping has been stabilizing and formalizing many economic controls that will probably make longterm economic conquest inevitable for China.

Thank you for the added information. As much as this makes no sense to me (in general), it's good to know where all this is coming from.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Screen_Shot_2016-08-01_at_12.34.21_PM.0.0.png

But Cardi B is FOR the kids!

Mhaz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. I get it, since hip hop culture is pretty obnoxious, but banning it altogether seems like a bit much.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I PG-one also blamed "black music" for his down fall. So fuck him.
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...der-fire-sexist-lyrics-blames-influence-black

8fa136eff392e05f5abae5444ee03750.jpg

I mean.. I get it, since hip hop culture is pretty obnoxious, but banning it altogether seems like a bit much.

Eww... Then they should ban rock, heavy metal and pop. That's all "obnoxious" as well

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely do not use actors whose heart and morality are not aligned with the party and whose morality is not noble
I don't know what to say about this other than it's really funny and really sad. Can't imagine what it's like to live under that kind of outrageous paranoia.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This can only help 88Rising grow that much more powerful as a source for both discovering & spotlighting hip-hop/rap acts from China like Higher Brothers & Kris Wu.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

That seems like a poorly thought out decision to say the least.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I mean, the vast majority of International Relations experts have been predicting an eclipse of the United States for a while.

I think people have been predicting a relative decline of the US more than eclipse, and even then it's generally overemphasised in the news because that's what sells. In academic journals people are generally less interested in making more eye catching headlines.

World without a hegemon seems unlikely but would be nice.

Why is it unlikely? This seems like just a random assertion. Hegemons are historical aberrations, they aren't the norm.

It's not insane at all to think that the PRC, which has been making vast technological and economic strides in our lifetimes, is on track to vastly outstrip its competition.

It really is insane though. I'm sure China will continue to grow, but grow fast enough to not only overtake, but to surpass, to the massive extent necessary to be the Hegemon the entirety of the West on those terms alone in our lifetime is out there.

It's naive to think that they would see a non-hegemonic landscape and refuse to capitalize (heh) on that opportunity.

You seem to think being a hegemon is as easy as wanting to be one. It's not, that's the reason it's a massive historical aberration.

Furthermore, the only way a non-hegemonic global economy would occur would be if the United States experienced a total failure to project power (which admittedly is likely).

I don't get why you're talking about a "hegemonic global economy". Regardless this seems like another random assertion. Without a hegemon many powers are still able to project power. Even under a hegemon other states are able to project power

Why is this true?

Despite the political instabilities under Hu Jintao's administration, Xi Jinping has been stabilizing and formalizing many economic controls that will probably make longterm economic conquest inevitable for China.

Essentially nothing is inevitable, so as much as this is fun it's just a prediction. A stable state and economic controls does not a hegemon make. I'm also not sure what you're doing with the economy here. That's only one element of hegemony.

What's more important about this sentiment is that it seems to come from the same sort of the end is nigh panic articles that have been popular in the West since the 60s. Look at what people said about Japan.

A Chinese hegemon in our lifetime is incredibly unlikely, and people that say it not only can but will in my experience are drawing on some pretty nebulous, and always ahistorical, arguments.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
While I don't support a government trying to impose their will like this I can't really say they are very far off in their generalization of hip hip considering the contents a significant portion of hip hop songs and the behavior they endorse and celebrate. I mean to each their own though because obviously other genres are hardly saints.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't support a government trying to impose their will like this I can't really say they are very far off in their generalization of hip hip considering the contents of 95% of hip hop songs and the behavior they endorse and celebrate. I mean to each their own though because obviously other genres are hardly saints.
Where do you get your stats?

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are people really tryna come for hip hop in this topic?

Take your generalizations elsewhere please.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
China made Blizzard take out skulls and other "dead-looking things" from World of Warcraft.

They are grasping at invisible straws.

They don't want their cheap adolescent labor being exposed to their own mortality, nor anything that may encourage rebellion.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Very stupid decision which will backfire. China should reconsider.

I have never heard of this 88rising company but every time is see this number i can not help wondering if there is a neonazi reference.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
I think people have been predicting a relative decline of the US more than eclipse, and even then it's generally overemphasised in the news because that's what sells. In academic journals people are generally less interested in making more eye catching headlines.

Why is it unlikely? This seems like just a random assertion. Hegemons are historical aberrations, they aren't the norm.

It really is insane though. I'm sure China will continue to grow, but grow fast enough to not only overtake, but to surpass, to the massive extent necessary to be the Hegemon the entirety of the West on those terms alone in our lifetime is out there.

You seem to think being a hegemon is as easy as wanting to be one. It's not, that's the reason it's a massive historical aberration.

I don't get why you're talking about a "hegemonic global economy". Regardless this seems like another random assertion. Without a hegemon many powers are still able to project power. Even under a hegemon other states are able to project power

Why is this true?

Essentially nothing is inevitable, so as much as this is fun it's just a prediction. A stable state and economic controls does not a hegemon make. I'm also not sure what you're doing with the economy here. That's only one element of hegemony.

What's more important about this sentiment is that it seems to come from the same sort of the end is nigh panic articles that have been popular in the West since the 60s. Look at what people said about Japan.

A Chinese hegemon in our lifetime is incredibly unlikely, and people that say it not only can but will in my experience are drawing on some pretty nebulous, and always ahistorical, arguments.

Your point about Japan is worthwhile, but otherwise you're coming off as willfully confrontational. I have no panic about this happening. There's a chance it won't but otherwise it seems likely. I read some academic journals and keep abreast of the times, I'm not only interested in catchy headlines. At the very least we can agree that America is in decline on the global stage and China is not. In the long term, hegemony is uncommon, but in the past 300 years it's not and I see no reason to think it won't stay that way. You have facts on your side, I have facts on mine. I think there's a good chance you're actually right, but I put the odds that I'm right at slightly higher based on the reading I've done. Leave it at that.