• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I'm still salty over no reincarnation rule.

That rule was more like a "dont do that rule", but you still have a lot of shows about that, same as time travel shows and stuff. The rule wasnt really followed at all from what I can see watching Chinese shows.

But I guess it takes time to change and I think they are heading in the right direction. That said it is frustrating as westerners knowing what we know.

To me it often just feels "one step in the right direction", then one step back after 6 months.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I don't a agree with it, But It makes sense from the CCP's point of view. Alot of hip hop culture is about being a rebel or resisting something. That's probably all that the old men running things see.

Why would they support it when they've banned things that do less?

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Seems like an attempt to curb US soft power in China. Probably makes sense in the minds of CCP executives, but not something a free country open to the west in terms of finance and culture should do. That said, the billions they're investing into taking over Hollywood soft power are much much more impactful than restrictions to local TV.

It's a bit scary to see how well-thought out the whole soft power strategy seems to be. Governments usually aren't this competent, and it's a kind of a problem with China.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well, Hip-Hop is indeed often tasteless, vulgar and/or obscene, that's kinda the point of it.

But i don't see why it warrant a ban. Too "american" maybe ?

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
I think I love the country but the gov is really something else. Some of the most beautiful places I have seen is in China.... Guess you gotta take the good and the bad

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what i see..

Western's perspective: Freedom > Food, Security

Asian's perspective: Food, Security > Freedom

This is a forum predominantly western so i will not be surprised what stance this forums stands on...but please...for the sake of yourselves, please don't say things like 'objectively right'. Because it isn't.
Yeah I'm sure banning hip-hop and tattoos will make sure people are safe and well fed

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Yeah I'm sure banning hip-hop and tattoos will make sure people are safe and well fed

it's about control...where they believe having a well-controlled society leads to stability which in turn leads to security..

that's what they believed. I know it might be extremely difficult for westerners to accept this but it is what they believe. You are definitely entitled to dismiss it.

Oct 27, 2017

That's missing the forest for the trees. And on a related note, the current US government is doing the same thing as China - manipulating mass media - by selecting what is convenient for their agenda and rejecting what isn't. Fake news is Trump's brand of censorship.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They still have a communist regime.

Look at what the soviets did in the 60's and 70's. They banned rock and roll, jeans,...

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's missing the forest for the trees. And on a related note, the current US government is doing the same thing as China - manipulating mass media - by selecting what is convenient for their agenda and rejecting what isn't. Fake news is Trump's brand of censorship.
Oh but I'm not excusing the fake news bullshit spouted by trump and republicans in general
But to defend this censorship of hip-hop because it's for the "greater good" is laughable

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Oh but I'm not excusing the fake news bullshit spouted by trump and republicans in general
But to defend this censorship of hip-hop because it's for the "greater good" is laughable

It is laughable and like I said, it doesnt even mean much to young people because they can still find it everywhere, but other cultures have other things they might see as problematic. I mean nipplegate was huge.

Chromax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Going to clear up with how everything reached this point since that article failed to.

1. Last year in China there was a extremely popular TV show akin to "The Voice" but themed after hip-hop and rap. Kris Wu was one of the instructors on the show along with MC Jin.
2. PG One, one of the contestants on this show ended up winning this thing and garnered a huge following of fans as well as fame in a very short amount of time. He also joined a underground hip-hop group "Red Flower".
3. Sometimes around the start of January this year , PG One was photographed by paparazzi heading home midnight in the arms of a famous actress in China. (She's married to a famous actor)
4. Naturally this thing blew up around social media in China, soon followed by the media digging up all kinds of dirt on PG One: Copywrite issues with Marvel over using the name Magneto, drug use, songs that advocates drug use, sexual harassment, etc.
5. The government at this point started pulling those songs off the internet and blacklisted him in the entertainment industry. His more rabid fans went crazy and started attacking the government on social media and there was talks of self immolation in public places. The Red Flower group he joined was reported saying they wanted to topple the government.
6. So now the Chinese government flat out just banned the entire hip-hop culture.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Going to clear up with how everything reached this point since that article failed to.

1. Last year in China there was a extremely popular TV show akin to "The Voice" but themed after hip-hop and rap. Kris Wu was one of the instructors on the show along with MC Jin.
2. PG One, one of the contestants on this show ended up winning this thing and garnered a huge following of fans as well as fame in a very short amount of time. He also joined a underground hip-hop group "Red Flower".
3. Sometimes around the start of January this year , PG One was photographed by paparazzi heading home midnight in the arms of a famous actress in China. (She's married to a famous actor)
4. Naturally this thing blew up around social media in China, soon followed by the media digging up all kinds of dirt on PG One: Copywrite issues with Marvel over using the name Magneto, drug use, songs that advocates drug use, sexual harassment, etc.
5. The government at this point started pulling those songs off the internet and blacklisted him in the entertainment industry. His more rabid fans went crazy and started attacking the government on social media and there was talks of self immolation in public places. The Red Flower group he joined was reported saying they wanted to topple the government.
6. So now the Chinese government flat out just banned the entire hip-hop culture.

Thanks for this clarification~

a.wd

Oct 26, 2017
UK

What the actual fuck...wow, the world is a messed up place.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They also blacklist artiats who use marijuana. I only write this to remind you.

China dont care.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Look at it this way: China is never going to be a world power if they keep doing this. Never. And if you're some China apologist that wants to quote this post and argue with me don't even bother because I don't care.

Lol China is already a world power and due to recent decisions by the U.S. is definitely going to be the world's only Superpower in a short amount of time.

Rigby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at it this way: China is never going to be a world power if they keep doing this. Never. And if you're some China apologist that wants to quote this post and argue with me don't even bother because I don't care.
fUHxDyq.png

1/10 because you tried.

Oct 27, 2017

Perhaps I misread your comment - and for that, I apologize, but I'm not defending China at all. I'm just stating that the current US government is equally guilty of media manipulation, albeit through different means.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London

Thank you for this. So fucked up.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What about those pop singers that dress like wannabee hip hop singers?

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017

To be frank the government should have just let it play out, eventually some other scandal will make people forget.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they aren't entirely wrong. A lot of hip-hop is nonsense peddling nonsense. And I like the genre. Definitely needs to stop glorifying guns and disrespecting women though. Probably should cut down on the swearing as well.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Perhaps I misread your comment - and for that, I apologize, but I'm not defending China at all. I'm just stating that the current US government is equally guilty of media manipulation, albeit through different means.

The current US government is also guilt of that, not equally guilty. That's honestly a crazy thing to assert.

I mean they aren't entirely wrong. A lot of hip-hop is nonsense peddling nonsense. And I like the genre. Definitely needs to stop glorifying guns and disrespecting women though. Probably should cut down on the swearing as well.

Do you think that's what the CPC actually cares about? Or is it the strong overt anti-authoritarian themes that have been a major part of the genre for quite some time now.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
"Never going to be a world power" is a funny way of saying it considering they ARE already a world power, lol. Arguably even more influential than the US too, considering how much of the US economy depends on them.

Like, it's just a silly thing that you said there.

China has been trying to move away from an export dependent economy for quite some time now. Like the US, they want domestic consumption to account for growth.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Y'all forgetting that country that banished Janet Jackson from society over a titty reveal but invited the titty grabber back to the superbowl, or whose liberal second lady tried to ban hip hop lyrics.

D65

Oct 26, 2017

Now this makes less sense to me.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Do you mind clarifying the difference between the two?

If someone is equally as guilt of media manipulation it means they are also doing it to the same degree. Also guilty means that they are also doing it to any degree.

Frankly, there's also a clear difference in kind here, but I understand your sentiment.

Directed to other people in this thread.

People don't seem to realize there have only have been 3 superpowers, UK, US, USSR, and depending on your reckoning 2, UK and US, or 3, also the United Provinces, Hegemons. America being on the decline and making some missteps is not going to cause a relatively underdeveloped country with at best lukewarm relations with most other major powers and horrible relations with the other powers in its region to suddenly not only move to the top, but to do so to such a degree that they are in a tier of their own.

Last edited:

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Wouldnt this article and Chromax addition to it actually show that there is some sort of manipulation going on?

Reading this article alone, most people would think "Damn. Baseless banning of HipHop. Classic China." Chromax addition to that actually sheds a bit more light as to why that happened and actually would lead to another discourse.