• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Bokeh Game Studio just uploaded a video with the announcement that Tatsuya Yoshikawa would be designing the main characters for their new game.

Tatsuya Yoshikawa is best known as an illustrator & character designer for the Breath of Fire series and has also worked on some other Capcom games like Devil May Cry 4 & 5.

Bokeh Game Studio is the new group that was formed by Keiichiro Toyama (the creator of Silent Hill, Siren, and Gravity Rush) after he left Playstation, along with some of his collaborators on past games. The studio is currently working on an unnamed horror game.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I'm really excited to see what they're cooking up. They have a lot of amazing talent working for them.

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wow. I'm really excited to see what they're cooking up. They have a lot of amazing talent working for them.

No kidding. For example, Miki Takahashi is doing the enemy design for their new game. She was a monster designer on the Siren series and ayone who has played Siren can attest to how creepy Siren's monsters were.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
"Some other Capcom games like DMC4 & 5", lol

Anyway, neat. He's incredibly underrated, imo. I figured they already had a char designer, but I guess it was monsters only.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
No kidding. For example, Miki Takahashi is doing the enemy design for their new game. She was a monster designer on the Siren series and ayone who has played Siren can attest to how creepy Siren's monsters were.

For real. Shibito designs are crazy good. Some of the best monster designs of that era. Would be really nice if they can superimpose real faces on to the 3D models again😂 But yeah, whatever they're making, I'm there day 1

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got the Last Ranker ost and artbook and the character illustrations make me drool so bad. He's really talented.

Eager to see the final character designs. Wondering if those shown in the video will be redone or refined based on changes to the story.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder who's funding this game
It's NetEase Tencent. We found that out from the Bloomberg article that broke that Nagoshi was leaving.

EDIT: Wait, nvm, it was Tencent:
Publicly-announced minority acquisitions by Tencent include PlatinumGames Inc., which has developed games for Square Enix and Nintendo, and console games publisher Marvelous Inc. The Chinese company has also backed Bokeh Game Studio, a startup led by founders who'd previously created hit games for Sony. That growing track record of deals is also helping build confidence among other prospective investment targets, the people said.
www.bloomberg.com

China’s NetEase in Talks to Hire Creator of Sega Yakuza Series

NetEase Inc. is in final negotiations to poach Yakuza franchise creator Toshihiro Nagoshi from Sega, a sign of how Chinese games companies are expanding beyond their home turf during a government-led crackdown.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder who's funding this game

E-BMN0nXIAEu-Kt

Tencent invested on the studio, so probably them.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So judging by these designs and previous mocap footage of swordfighting (and shooting elsewhere in the video):

QQGPobh.png

I'm guessing this is a sort of horror/supernatural action hybrid.

Last edited:

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Easily one of my most anticipated games. After this horror-based action/adventure project is released in 2023, I hope Konami considers outsourcing Silent Hill to this studio (as opposed to a cheap developer in the west).

After Siren and Gravity Daze, this looks like a natural evolution for Toyama as a developer.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of Fire work was some of the best VG art, BOF3 work in particualr is some of my absolute favourite. WIl be interested to see what the studio come up with for their new game

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
I hope the action feels good. Never played the Siren games (need a remaster with dual audio. English voices ruin my immersion in a Japanese setting) but I don't know how they handle combat. I just want the combat to feel fun and not like a chore like in Silent Hill.

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I hope the action feels good. Never played the Siren games (need a remaster with dual audio. English voices ruin my immersion in a Japanese setting) but I don't know how they handle combat. I just want the combat to feel fun and not like a chore like in Silent Hill.

Siren & Silent Hill don't have great combat, but that's not their point. Gravity Rush is great though so I have confidence that they can make a good action game.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
The combat in Siren is exactly like Silent Hill, except for more stealth and unkillable enemies. However, neither of those games are a good indicator of the combat in this game, because both of those were full-on horror games and not action/horror games. Combat was just a means to an end and not a "fun" mechanic per se. Toyama explains it best in these interviews:

That's completely different from what this game is:

If you want a better indicator of fast-paced in a Toyama game, check out the Gravity Daze series.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Siren & Silent Hill don't have great combat, but that's not their point. Gravity Rush is great though so I have confidence that they can make a good action game.

The combat in Siren is exactly like Silent Hill, except for more stealth and unkillable enemies. However, neither of those games are a good indicator of the combat in this game, because both of those were full-on horror games and not action/horror games. Combat was just a means to an end and not a "fun" mechanic per se. Toyama explains it best in these interviews:

That's completely different from what this game is:

If you want a better indicator of fast-paced in a Toyama game, check out the Gravity Daze series.

The combat in Gravity Rush was the weakest part of that game for me. Dunno if 2 vastly improved upon it but it was absolutely hell having to fight the Nevi. But I think that's mainly the result of the gravity controls not being suited for combat. So I'm kind of still worried about the combat in this game.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Nice
Big fan of his work
Don't care for horror game
But at least there'll be pretty art to look at

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
This is like, the first time I've ever seen a video interview with Tatsuya Yoshikawa talking about his work, and the Breath of Fire series. Amazing that it took so long for something like this to come out.