• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

Tattooing Hangout |OT| The New Flesh

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is for posting questions about and sharing photos of your tattoos, and discussing the work of tattooers we admire.

I can get started. I have currently have eleven tattoos including tattoos on my chest and back and a half sleeve on my upper arm, and I am halfway through completing a forearm sleeve, which will complete a full sleeve. This tattoo has definitely been one of the most intense physical experiences I've ever gone through. The first session was 3.5 hours, and the second was almost 5. I still at least one more to go, but I'm really happy with the results so far. Excuse the photo quality, it's hard to photograph. The snake is based off of part of Japanese print I inherited from my father. You can also kind of see parts of the sleeve on my upper arm. I worked with Jason Vaughn at Deluxe Tattoo in Chicago for both. He's incredibly talented and I can't recommend him enough.

Lenneth

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I only have one tattoo but I'm very proud of it. I'm already thinking about a new one. I've really appreciated the experience. Maybe on the other arm, something in color this time.

OP
OP
Jugendstil

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Lenneth I love the tattoo and the sentiment! Very cool. Watch out, once you get one tattoo, it gets easier and easier to justify more!

StrawberryJam

Oct 29, 2017
Thread bump!

So I got my first tattoo way back in 2016:

My girlfriend got me a gift card to go back to the same guy and get another tattoo, but this is where I need some advice. Should I get one on my upper arm that is the same kind of style/theme and maybe turn it into a sleeve? Another idea I had was to get another animal/skull/geometric tattoo on my other forearm but in a much cleaner style to contrast the wolf. I'm actually way more confused about this one than the first one. Help me!

OP
OP
Jugendstil

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy people are posting in this thread! Hooray! I'm having my third session for my forearm sleeve this weekend, this time it's getting colored. I'll post photos when it's healed!

Thread bump!

My girlfriend got me a gift card to go back to the same guy and get another tattoo, but this is where I need some advice. Should I get one on my upper arm that is the same kind of style/theme and maybe turn it into a sleeve? Another idea I had was to get another animal/skull/geometric tattoo on my other forearm but in a much cleaner style to contrast the wolf. I'm actually way more confused about this one than the first one. Help me!
That looks sick. Since it's a gift certificate with the same guy, I'd have him work on turning it into a sleeve. I bet it will look really awesome.

This was my latest big one
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcv16n5nS09/?hl=en&taken-by=gross9978

I'm probably going to turn it into a sleeve down the road. The artist(Greg Ross) really nailed it. I've got 3 others but they're mostly smaller.
That looks great. Is the illustration original or it based off something?

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy people are posting in this thread! Hooray! I'm having my third session for my forearm sleeve this weekend, this time it's getting colored. I'll post photos when it's healed!

That looks sick. Since it's a gift certificate with the same guy, I'd have him work on turning it into a sleeve. I bet it will look really awesome.

That looks great. Is the illustration original or it based off something?
this is what my basic reference was

Thought Greg's version ended up looking way better

StrawberryJam

Oct 29, 2017
This was my latest big one
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcv16n5nS09/?hl=en&taken-by=gross9978

I'm probably going to turn it into a sleeve down the road. The artist(Greg Ross) really nailed it. I've got 3 others but they're mostly smaller.
That's really cool, definitely prefer yours to the original.

Thanks! I think I'll get in contact with the guy and see about getting this turned into a sleeve. Not entirely sure what it'll end up being at this point haha. Excited to see your sleeve coloured, its amazing already!

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Same artist is doing all my left arm stuff so I'm probably going to sleeve it down the road. Just a time/money thing.

OP
OP
Jugendstil

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I think I'll get in contact with the guy and see about getting this turned into a sleeve. Not entirely sure what it'll end up being at this point haha. Excited to see your sleeve coloured, its amazing already!
Thanks! I'm excited for it to be done... it's already really intense looking, it's going to look wild when it's colored.

Same artist is doing all my left arm stuff so I'm probably going to sleeve it down the road. Just a time/money thing.
Your artist did an awesome job adapting it and improving it, it looks great.

OP
OP
Jugendstil

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Weirdly, I woke up this morning and checked instagram and saw the tattooer just announced he's moving to California next month. Glad I got this done in time!

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Went to a tattoo convention. Wanted to get something traditional and dudes booth was open. wasn't really 'on my list' but fuck it I like an impulse buy

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Looking for a Cthulhu image that will cover my right lower under arm. I already have Harley Quinn and Mr Burns there, (and a Skvader on the bicep) but I have a large piece of flesh undrawn on :)

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting my first tattoo on friday, and I'm nervous as fuck.

I decided on this tattoo a couple of years ago, but I kept on holding it off because I was scared. Then yesterday on a whim when I was out with my friend who has tons of nice tattooes, I decided that I just need to take the plunge and not think too much.

Now I'm freaking out over if I'm stupid or not.

The motif I'm doing is from The Fountain. It's a movie that has had incredible therapeutic value for me, helping me through some incredibly tough times when I felt that the world was collapsing on me.

OP
OP
Jugendstil

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
i just got this done shit between my knuckles hurt like a MOTHERFUCKER holy shit.
Sick! I love the way hand tattoos look. My coworker got one last year and said it was super painful and the healing process was super annoying. I would really love the back of my hands tattooed but its a big step to have tattoos on a part of your body that's always visible. Maybe in a few years once I'm really and don't give a shit anymore!

TiduzOmni

Oct 25, 2017
Sick! I love the way hand tattoos look. My coworker got one last year and said it was super painful and the healing process was super annoying. I would really love the back of my hands tattooed but its a big step to have tattoos on a part of your body that's always visible. Maybe in a few years once I'm really and don't give a shit anymore!
its actually part of my halve sleeve, ill show you what i have :P (i bet the healing is gonna be a pita indeed)

data west

Oct 25, 2017

Artist is unfortunately moving to a new location that's more of a drive for me but I may have to still follow him because he did a killer job

but i'm NEVER getting a calf tattoo again. holy shit the pain.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going on a year since I finished my 3/4 sleeve/chest/shoulder blade piece

Five 5 hr sessions and a shit load of money. I’m gonna a complete the sleeve this year

OP
OP
Jugendstil

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Going on a year since I finished my 3/4 sleeve/chest/shoulder blade piece

Five 5 hr sessions and a shit load of money. I’m gonna a complete the sleeve this year
This is sick. We're Japanese snake tattoo bros!

Anyone else get a Friday The 13th $13 tattoo last month or was it just me?
I've always wanted to but all the shops here that do it have long lines any time they do specials like that, so I never bother. What did you get?

Drain You

Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I've always wanted to but all the shops here that do it have long lines any time they do specials like that, so I never bother. What did you get?
Yea the place I went to in Bridgeport was crazy. I wasn't even aware this was a thing but my buddy called me up the morning of so I said screw it. Had to wait around 3 hours.

I love my cats so I'm cool with it. Plus its covered by a short sleeve shirt.

Drain You

Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Jugendstil Bridgeport, CT. As crazy as this sounds I have no idea where it was or what it was called other than it was in Bpt. It was....an interesting day. But thanks! I really ended up liking it. Usually I put a lot more thought into my tattoos and will only go to a friend of mine George at FTS Gallery in Stratford, CT. They throw a bunch of art shows and stuff like that which is cool.

StrawberryJam

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't posted in a while but I've got a question. Looking to extend the wolf tattoo on my forearm to a sleeve incorporating some old Norse runes. I've been playing a shit ton of God of War haha. I'm worried though that people could think I'm some kind of neo Nazi and finding an accurate translation and all that stuff. Any thoughts?

Shrubchicken

User Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Western Michigan
I've got a few tattoos. I'm supposed to be getting another one pretty soon. The guy who does them is a pretty good friend of mine. I'm a huge fan of his art and want to wear a sleeve of it.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering if we had a tat thread or not! Shame it’s not more active. I have too many some would say ;)

Got a fairly large piece on my calf yesterday for my 40th. My regular shop generally has traveling artist come in and since Amy (the owner) is usually booked months out I’ve gotten a couple spur of the moment tats from guest artists. Yesterday’s was a collab that turned out great, will have my wife take some pics later and I’ll post ‘em.

How do y’all handle after care? The artist who wrapped me up yesterday used some shit that sticks to the skin and I’m supposed to try and leave it on for 5 days... Got to say with how much pain I was in I am surprised with how it feels this morning. Not too hot and the swelling isn’t very bad at all! I had been wrapping my fresh ink with Saranwrap for the first 24 hours, washing every 4-6 and applying Armor gel so this is quite different.

Drain You

Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Was wondering if we had a tat thread or not! Shame it’s not more active. I have too many some would say ;)

Got a fairly large piece on my calf yesterday for my 40th. My regular shop generally has traveling artist come in and since Amy (the owner) is usually booked months out I’ve gotten a couple spur of the moment tats from guest artists. Yesterday’s was a collab that turned out great, will have my wife take some pics later and I’ll post ‘em.

How do y’all handle after care? The artist who wrapped me up yesterday used some shit that sticks to the skin and I’m supposed to try and leave it on for 5 days... Got to say with how much pain I was in I am surprised with how it feels this morning. Not too hot and the swelling isn’t very bad at all! I had been wrapping my fresh ink with Saranwrap for the first 24 hours, washing every 4-6 and applying Armor gel so this is quite different.
Verry light coat of aquaphor (Think that's the name of the stuff) and gently rinsing with soap when I showered. Never heard of that stuff that sticks to your skin for 5 days, sounds like it would drive me nuts.

TiduzOmni

Oct 25, 2017
bump (this thread should get more posts wow) just got this done, will finish 27sept

Last edited: