• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you enjoy doing your taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 83 18.3%
  • Of course

Votes: 19 4.2%
  • It's my solumn duty

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • I don't recognize the federal government and the free state of my back yard does not collect taxes

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • Thor the Dark World

Votes: 146 32.2%
  • One does what one must

Votes: 186 41.1%
  • Ask me again on April 15, ain't no one got time for this before the deadline

Votes: 36 7.9%

• Total voters

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Cw0yHVI.gif

Just started filling out stuff again in TurboTax. Moved state so expect it to be a little more involved this year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone else getting a leg up already?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wish I could. My company takes forever to get me my paperwork.

However, something I'm nervous about this year is that I am in the midst of a name change. It's been changed by the court but I still have to update social security and stuff. I hope this doesn't complicate or delay my taxes. Anyone have experience with this?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I bought a house in 2019 so I am not really excited to figure out how to do taxes this year.

Used to be so simple... I hope I get a bit of a refund, now I have no idea.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I bought a house in 2019 so I am not really excited to figure out how to do taxes this year.

Unless your property taxes/interest and other deductions get you over the standard deduction, it actually doesn't matter much.

Homebuying is something a TurboTax/HR Block/etc should be able to handle easily. Unless you have significant investments, a business, etc.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sold a house, bought a house, moved to a new state, lawsuit, gift, spouse got new job, I work remotely for different state now.

Part of me says to just hire a professional this year, but there's a sadistic voice in my head saying to wing it and save a couple hundred.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017

Standard deduction is $24K if you're married. Unless your house is like half a million dollars, then the interest deduction you'd get wouldn't crack the standard deduction so you probably won't see any change.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
changed jobs and moved last year so yeah should be more complicated this year. Thanks for the thread OP, you just reminded me to update my address with my previous job

Last edited:

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
I wish I could. My company takes forever to get me my paperwork.

However, something I'm nervous about this year is that I am in the midst of a name change. It's been changed by the court but I still have to update social security and stuff. I hope this doesn't complicate or delay my taxes. Anyone have experience with this?
I have experience with a name change, it was fine, your SSN is all that the IRS gives a shit about.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Standard deduction is $24K if you're married. Unless your house is like half a million dollars, then the interest deduction you'd get wouldn't crack the standard deduction so you probably won't see any change.

This.

CPA-ERA checking in. My parents are scheduled for March 3rd or something like that. I'll do mine in April like usual. Next 2 months of my life are about to get really busy with work. I'll stop in from time to time and try to help people.

Jan 29, 2018
Sold/bought a house in 2019, not sure how that affects things.

It's totally worth the ~$150 I pay to have someone do it for me.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Unless your property taxes/interest and other deductions get you over the standard deduction, it actually doesn't matter much.

Homebuying is something a TurboTax/HR Block/etc should be able to handle easily. Unless you have significant investments, a business, etc.

Thanks, it actually is almost exactly half a mil so I'll need to crunch some numbers. I think trumps SALT caps might fuck me though.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Almost done with ours, and looking at a decent return as planned. I have my withholding set to provide right around 2K in returns each year. I don't know what I'll get back from the state yet, but it's usually only a couple hundred.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Terrific, thank you, I'm glad to know.
Of course, take care to get it changed with the SSA and whoever pays you.

But just to give an idea on how silly it all is: my official name before I changed it, was only used by my employer and the government, but I did all of my other business under a different name, I finally changed it after 15 years to the name I had been using outside of government. I still have a credit card account I haven't bothered to change. (In my case it was my last name)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Of course, take care to get it changed with the SSA and whoever pays you.

But just to give an idea on how silly it all is: my official name before I changed it, was only used by my employer and the government, but I did all of my other business under a different name, I finally changed it after 15 years to the name I had been using outside of government. I still have a credit card account I haven't bothered to change. (In my case it was my last name)

My concern is that I will have different records with social security and stuff when my W2s are issued but then might have a different name either when I file or when my refund comes.

So far the only step I've taken is with the probate court. Next week we're going to the social security office and the DMV and then trying to update everything else.

I was/am a little worried that my taxes would be held up or complicated since I might have a different last name at different points in my filing.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could get started but I don't have any necessary documents available to me right now. While I'm here, I might as well get some thoughts on my plans from those in this thread.

I want to do my returns with TurboTax and stop short of filing with them because I hated paying so much money to them last year. I just want to get near the point of filing so I can see what they estimate my return to be. Instead, to do the taxes and then file, I want to use FreeTaxUSA for my federal filing. I live in Pennsylvania and thought I'd use PA e-File for the state. Would this be good or should I use another service like TaxSlayer, TaxAct, Credit Karma Tax, or something else that is free? I don't think there is anything that should be technically complicated about my tax situation. Anyone have some insight on the best path for me to take or some recommendation on services to use when my documents are ready?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
My company got acquired last year, so two W2s to wait for, but not expecting much change. Return is going into the car down payment fund.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Waiting on the W2s and then bang it out in about 30 minutes. I can't claim donations, PMI, daycare anymore so it is pretty much standard deduction.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I tried to approximate my W2 from my last paychecks. I switched companies in 2019, not sure how long it's going to take to get my W2 from my prior employer, or my current one tbh

I think I'm going to get a total refund of around 1k from federal and state combined, I usually use it to pay my car insurance premium off since I get transaction fees for every individual payment

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Just waiting on W2, should have them in the next week or two. Dunno what i'll do with my refund.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
We just sold the last of my husband's company stock so fuck me. Otherwise it should be about the same as last year.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Married filing jointly, usually owe like 3-5K every year.
Had a kid last year, so hopefully my little deduction helps us out.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
We have never had to owe taxes when we file, we bought a house 2 years ago and have a 3 year old. We arent married and file seperately -- what are the odds we have to pay in this year?

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
Once the documents come in, I'll probably hammer it out in a night. Nothing complicated this year, but my wife did start working again in August so we might be in a new income bracket. We'll see.

Was pleased with my experience with Turbo Tax last year, so I'm going to give it a go again. Hopefully I can file electronically this year and get a good return.

Dragonborn

Oct 30, 2017
This.

CPA-ERA checking in. My parents are scheduled for March 3rd or something like that. I'll do mine in April like usual. Next 2 months of my life are about to get really busy with work. I'll stop in from time to time and try to help people.

Not a CPA yet (hopefully this year), but I feel you my friend. Time to say goodbye to sunshine and rainbows

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Self-employed and didn't make much of shit this year (less than $20K), so I'm not excited at all to lose money I barely had in the first place. :/

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
it should be the same as last year unless theres something that changed i don't know about.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Once all my docs come in I'll bang it out. My taxes are simple, single guy without major investments.

Like to get it done early so I can get my refund early.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This.

I'm a CPA but I haven't worked in public accounting in 9 years. Sucks for you my friend. Condolences.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
As someone who is freelance and doesn't make a lot of money, being told I have to shell out $1,200 kinda sucks. So no. That's an entire paycheck for one month, minus my disability.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC there was some delay last year where a lot of refunds wouldnt be processed till around March 15. Is that supposed to be the case again this year?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Ran a close estimate on my income this year through TurboTax and it says I'll be getting around $1500 federal, can't complain especially since state and property refunds should match that.

2018 is the first time in like, seven years where I've worked at the same job at the beginning of the year that I did at the end, so that'll be nice, though I still need to wait on a few more W-2s. Worked some part time hours at Hot Topic for the holidays, directed two high school plays (the stipends weren't taxed... yay) and made some decent coin off the Zelda play I wrote and produced.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone use multiple pieces of software to file so they don't pay a fee or know of a reliable software that is completely free? I'm just trying to find how to file without having to pay any money. I don't want to pay turbo tax again.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone use multiple pieces of software to file so they don't pay a fee or know of a reliable software that is completely free? I'm just trying to find how to file without having to pay any money. I don't want to pay turbo tax again.
https://www.myfreetaxes.com/
Free through United Way and H&R Block. I've used this the past two years. You have to earn less than $66,000. They don't even charge for figuring out investment income like the others do as I recall.
I don't mind doing my taxes but I wouldn't ever say I "enjoy" it.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I've used Credit Karma for two years now--completely free filing.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This past year is the first time I've worked the same job throughout the entire calendar year, so I'm very interested in how that will factor into my tax return. The only thing that would make 2019's return complicated is the fact that I moved, but it's nothing that I hadn't handled before.

Oh, and I think I donated money to charity, but I don't remember the amount or even if I did it in 2019 or late 2018 lol. I'll need to look over my bank statements for that.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This past year is the first time I've worked the same job throughout the entire calendar year, so I'm very interested in how that will factor into my tax return. The only thing that would make 2019's return complicated is the fact that I moved, but it's nothing that I hadn't handled before.

Oh, and I think I donated money to charity, but I don't remember the amount or even if I did it in 2019 or late 2018 lol. I'll need to look over my bank statements for that.

Standard deduction is $12K/24K (single/married). Unless you donated more than that (or have additional significant deductions, like mortgage interest or state/local taxes, that add up to >that), just take the standard deduction.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.myfreetaxes.com/
Free through United Way and H&R Block. I've used this the past two years. You have to earn less than $66,000. They don't even charge for figuring out investment income like the others do as I recall.
I don't mind doing my taxes but I wouldn't ever say I "enjoy" it.
Thanks for the link. I think I may not be eligible for this but can relay it to someone I know who is.
I've used Credit Karma for two years now--completely free filing.
Are you completely happy with them? I've considered using them in the past few days cause the original place I was thinking of using charges for state so I've been waffling between Credit Karma Tax and TaxSlayer.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
First year filing jointly AND we bought a house this year. Really curious what our return is going to look like lol

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Are you completely happy with them? I've considered using them in the past few days cause the original place I was thinking of using charges for state so I've been waffling between Credit Karma Tax and TaxSlayer.

I am, but I don't have to file state taxes. It would be best to try to find impressions from people within your state.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tax question: Do charitable contributions (or any other major itemized deductions) affect MAGI (for purposes of Roth IRA contribution limits)? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I haven't found explicit confirmation, just open-ended lists of other kinds of "deductions" that apply.

Credit Karma is free for all, but is unreliable for some situations (every year my numbers don't add up correctly when I double check with other software). The IRS offers free fillable forms, but none of that is automated -- it's little more than an online typewriter.

Most paid tax filing software has a corresponding free version available for lower-income individuals with simple taxes. The IRS has a list that will show up here sometime soon: https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free