• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I've always thought of terrible label treatment being labels stealing from artists by falsifying sales and charges and other nefarious dealings. This seems to be a case where Taylor was fairly compensated but still wants more

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, if someone as big as Taylor Swift is getting fucked over, I don't even want to imagine what is happening to smaller, less popular artists.
I'm old enough to remember Prince, yeah.

but this however, is a mess. It's not like Taylor Swift wasn't given a chance to own her own songs, and Taylor Swift was certainly rich and powerful enough to get them. It wasn't a Prince vs Warner Bros situation. They settled, ended in good terms, until Swift learnt that they are selling the rights to someone who manages Kanye.

Not to mention it's not really new for the Taylor Swift brand to spin stories to make herself look better. At this point, I'm in the 'let them fight' team.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

but this however, is a mess. It's not like Taylor Swift wasn't given a chance to own her own songs, and Taylor Swift was certainly rich and powerful enough to get them. It wasn't a Prince vs Warner Bros situation. They settled, ended in good terms, until Swift learnt that they are selling the rights to someone who manages Kanye.

Not to mention it's not really new for the Taylor Swift brand to spin stories to make herself look better. At this point, I'm in the 'let them fight' team.

The only option that they gave her as far as owning her music again was to re-sign with their label for another 10 years. They never offered her the ability to just outright buy her music back.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018

They were gonna let her earn back her master's if she released six more albums under BM, which was a ridiculous deal that she of course rejected.

They never gave her the chance to buy her master's outright and she said she would've done that if presented with the opportunity.

kiKs__

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2019
They were gonna let her earn back her master's if she released six more albums under BM, which was a ridiculous deal that she of course rejected.

They never gave her the chance to buy her master's outright and she said she would've done that if presented with the opportunity.

That wasn't true according to the contract that was posted by Big Machine. Taylor got caught lying before so I wouldn't put it past her to lie about this as well.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was 15. A contract should not be a tool to control lives. Period. Yall buy straight into that capitalist slave mentality. Shit aint cool either way, full stop.

Her life isn't being controlled, she can literally do anything she wants except sing songs that she doesn't own the rights to. In fact, she could probably just sing the songs and breach her contract and it would barely make a dent in her half a billion net worth.

Is it "capitalist slave mentality" to think that you shouldn't be able to do whatever you want with something you don't own rights to?

According to this, any contracts signed by a minor is not legally valid and the minor can file a lawsuit to void the entire contract because they don't have the legal capacity to enter into a legally binding contract.

So Taylor Swift's contract was invalid between the time she was 15 until she turned 18:

Yes it's called repudiation and I explained it earlier in the thread. It's a basic element of contract law, so she had 3 years to repudiate but she didn't because it was working out well at the time.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
No one should be allowed to own the rights to an artists' creative work.

Just because we have multiple industries, with the music industry foremost among them, that lives on forcing aspring talent into giving up ownership of their own creations doesn't make it right.

This is why contemporary capitalism is poisonous. All industries are controlled by people who demand rights to/control of the work performed by others, including profiting from that work, in exchange for access. Its gatekeeping by the people who built and/or inherited the gates.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one should be allowed to own the rights to an artists' creative work

What about people who make logos for things?

but I digress, I'm not sure what the reward would then be for the label if they didn't get the rights to the product produced with their own money through recording, marketing, dissemination of content etc.

Maybe a contract that's excessively lengthy with a high percentage of total sales, but I'm sure people wouldn't be fond of that either. Need to remember that these labels probably fund hundreds of artists who never go anywhere at all. They likely hedge their money on the odds that they'll get a few artists blow up.

Last edited:

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still pretty shocking to me to see how far tribalism bullshit surrounding things like music can turn people into slobbering misogynists.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Artist #13218407 with what turned into a bad music contract.

Hard industry to get a decent contract in because the new artist has no leverage and the investment/risk made by the label taking a chance on them can be significant. Many artists are signed, basically none are expected to reach a fraction of Swift's success. For every Swift, there are several thousand signed artists that you've never heard of and never will hear of because they'll never get big or make a headline despite their best efforts.

I'm not sure what the solution here is, but it's interesting to see that most people do not realize that by and large the artists do not own their songs. Generally because they wouldn't have been able to afford to pay to have the necessary talent brought in to create, write, mix, master, and distribute them on their own. To give access to expensive studio/recording space for dozens or hundreds of hours. To negotiate their radio spins nationally and internationally. To produce those expensive music videos. To get those songs on all the essential streaming services and manage their social media. To get them on tours with others and book talent, dancers, hotels, and so on. To pay for access to the PR team, the stylists.

There is a massive machine behind and supporting every single artist bigger than the local band in your city, and the people that make up this necessary background team do not come cheap, I assure you. Without those elements in place, most songs you love would have never existed, or you otherwise never would have heard them. Some of your favorite artists wouldn't exist. Sometimes in a rare circumstance, it results in something like this Swift issue where she has clearly outgrown the projected future for her in the industry.

There should be mechanisms available to the artists after X years to buy their music library back based on some fair but somewhat steep price and it shouldn't become available for others to buy the rights until or unless the artist declines to buy their own rights or until X number of years have passed without them buying them. And certainly they must be able to perform it, even if a cut has to go to someone else. They should never be unable to perform their songs. But beyond that I just don't know. People are not properly considering the full picture. Because most of you don't know how the recording industry works or just how much goes into helping make an artist.
I always thought it was weird how so many artists go on to try to start their own labels. It's like a take on a prymaid scheme when you think about it.

Jan 10, 2018
Taylor and Scott, and their respective teams, aren't really amateurs. Both parts know how to play this out the way it's best for them.

For Taylor it's clearly the empathy angle, and you're eating it whole.

I always notice when someone takes a bold stand against empathy. It certainly comes usually in written or spoken form.

asynchrny

Aug 22, 2018
I'm not sure what the reward would then be for the label if they didn't get the rights to the product produced with their own money through recording, marketing, dissemination of content etc

It's easy to have no empathy to the 120+ people employed by the label who were being paid to "create" Taylor Swift. To which Taylor is apparently still owing money to.

It's clear she knows that and is exploiting the lack of empathy that we have to the teams behind the "art", as most people think that an artist like Taylor was the only person responsible for her art.

It's almost ironic that these trash contracts exist so that people like Taylor can't just run away with the creations, branding, fame, etc. that is a team work of world class talent.

If the audience put any value towards the teams behind the artists then we wouldn't need shit contracts to make it a net positive in the long run.

I always notice when someone takes a bold stand against empathy. It certainly comes usually in written or spoken form.
Not sure if you're accusing me of taking a stand against empathy. I do have a problem against biased empathy, which isn't empathy at all.

Specially knowing that both parts here are masters at generating social buzz through controversial drama that is all planned out ahead.

Anyone who thinks this is negative to any of the sides clearly is eating it. This feels like the next chapter on Taylor vs Kanye, which benefited them both tremendously and arguably got them where they are.

Last edited:

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Lol what?? So know you have to own the company doing the exploiting?? Soliciting their labor is not exploitative??? Dude, really???

I'm only calling out the people who said Taylor Swift hasn't exploited anyone to become a millionaire which is bullshit.

My point isn't that Taylor Swift is evil, it's that I have little empathy for her. Yes, the music industry needs to change but at the end of the day she's complaining about a contract that made her a multi-millionaire.

Your take certainly is something. So if an artist needs security for a concert they should start their own security company because they risk hiring a firm that has exploitative practices. And they should be expected to multiply that practice by a hundred because they need to ensure nothing funny is going on with the cleaning crew, food vendors, roadies, marketing firm, ticket brokers, etc... They are held responsible for all of that.

Wow!

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
She signed a record contract giving them the masters at age 15, and then after her contract ended label offered her the ability to "earn" them back one at at a time as long as she kept working for them for at least another decade, and then just sold them all to Kanye West's manager without ever giving her the option to buy them when she wouldn't play ball.

Unless you think you should also be held to everything you agreed to at age 15 for the rest of your life they're being a little unfair, she's not asking to get them for free lol

Yep. Idk how people can have no compassion here.

This is a "look at this bitch eating crackers" situation.

Dec 12, 2017
Yep. Idk how people can have no compassion here.

This is a "look at this bitch eating crackers" situation.
How does lacking empathy, for an almost a half a billionaire, complaining and pissed at a deal that she signed that enabled her to make her fortune equate to a bitch eating crackers situation?? You don't know the definition of the term if that's how you really feel.

Dec 12, 2017
Your take certainly is something. So if an artist needs security for a concert they should start their own security company because they risk hiring a firm that has exploitative practices. And they should be expected to multiply that practice by a hundred because they need to ensure nothing funny is going on with the cleaning crew, food vendors, roadies, marketing firm, ticket brokers, etc... They are held responsible for all of that.

Wow!
Ok. sure take away security. What about the countless other things I mentioned??

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
How does lacking empathy, for an almost a half a billionaire, complaining and pissed at a deal that she signed that enabled her to make her fortune equate to a bitch eating crackers situation?? You don't know the definition of the term if that's how you really feel.

Ok.

I don't know what to say to you. We just won't ever see eye to eye on this.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing what Taylor Swift is thinking while not adressing the topic at hand, does certainly remind me of a old tagline of yours.

I am addressing it though. Normally someone wants the artist playing their songs, but then again most artists aren't slandering the current owners of their songs. Taylor's been full of shit before on things, so more than likely everyone is just sort of being difficult here. Taylor made a lot of money while on that contract, and so did the owner of the record company.. and so did a lot of other people.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Yes because let's pretend the people in power when the contract was written weren't trying to exploit someone they knew they could make money out of and aren't still trying to exploit her now, when she doesn't even work for them any more. Why are you siding with the corporations on this? They didn't write the songs, they didn't perform the songs, they didn't connect with fans. They just hired a recording room and now they want to force her to do things for them in return for the "right" to play her own songs at her own concerts.

Imagine actually defending corporations exploiting their workers.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of contract law and of the role of record labels. It has nothing to do with "siding with the corporations".

Point is Scooter Braun bought Big Machine which owns the rights to Taylor's songs whilst she was under contract with Big Machine. End of. That very fact probably played a HUGE part in driving a price for Big Machine (i.e., the target asset).

Taylor Swift, giver her background/family, very much knows this and is simply trying to put pressure on Braun using PR to avoid having to pay due compensation (or negotiate in good faith with the rights owners).

Dec 31, 2017
I can see how this isn't ideal for her. But honestly, I'm having a real hard time caring. She has amassed an amazing fortune through the deals she has made during her career. It is what it is. If the specifics of her contract were abusive then that should be addressed but I don't have the knowledge to judge contract law, and really neither does most of the public, so posting about how it's unfair in social media is a pure PR play to gain sympathy.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
What about people who make logos for things?

but I digress, I'm not sure what the reward would then be for the label if they didn't get the rights to the product produced with their own money through recording, marketing, dissemination of content etc.

Maybe a contract that's excessively lengthy with a high percentage of total sales, but I'm sure people wouldn't be fond of that either. Need to remember that these labels probably fund hundreds of artists who never go anywhere at all. They likely hedge their money on the odds that they'll get a few artists blow up.
The money they make distributing and selling the product during their deal with the artist.

You think music production companies only make money thanks to decades of royalties or something? They're making money off artists day one. They shouldn't be allowed to do so on someone else's creative work into perpetuity.

If someone contracts you to make a specific thing and gives design input then its a collaborative effort. Especially on something like a logo where the company collaborating owns the specific name and brand that the logo is stemming from.

People who actually contribute to the production of music should get a cut too. If someone writes all the songs for a pop star and the pop star performs them that should be an equal ownership stake for the two of them, not entirely held by music producers for simply being the ones with the money and the access into the industry. An access restriction that they themselves created.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day apparently posted this earlier on Instagram, but deleted it shortly afterwards. Will other artists be performing her older songs since she can't?

04j5cnibm4041.jpg

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
How would that be any different? Isn't the issue that nobody can perform songs that aren't cleared in case the AMA's want to replay/resell the telecast?

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
How would that be any different? Isn't the issue that nobody can perform songs that aren't cleared in case the AMA's want to replay/resell the telecast?
No, just Taylor Swift. She isn't allowed to perform because of a contract thing that says she can't re-record/perform her older songs until November 2020. She plans to re-record her first five albums then, and is really looking forward to it. They apparently would let her perform them if she agreed to not re-record them in a year (and stopped talking about Scott and Scooter).

Also, since it hasn't been posted here, Big Machine released a statement on their website saying that they made a deal with Dick Clark Productions for the AMAs (which only mentions "their artists' " and never directly references Taylor Swift):

But then Dick Clark Productions denied that any such thing ever happened.

Last edited:

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So the American Music Awards are on.

Billie Joe Armstrong sang a bit of the chorus for" Bad Blood" while playing "Basket Case."

Taylor Swift performed a medley of "The Man/Love Story/I Knew You Were Trouble/Blank Space/Shake it Off (with Camila Cabello and Halsey)/Lover".

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
So what happened.. she is certainly performing older songs. At least it seems like she is to me...

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Oh, yeah, when she started her performance, she was wearing a shirt with the names of all of her old albums while she was singing part of "The Man." She turned around and "Fearless" was on the back, then she took the shirt off and started singing her old songs.

zyzOy6y.jpg

Last edited: