• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hear hear

In fact, Private Equity Firms and people who happened to gain control of her music against her will preventing her from performing her work is good praxis. I hope they really fuck with her. It's so dope what they're doing. Really sticking it to her. So badass.
I'm firmly in the let them fight camp.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Imagine being so bitter as to lack the ability to empathise with someone with more money than you.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hear hear

In fact, Private Equity Firms and people who happened to gain control of her music against her will preventing her from performing her work is good praxis

I can't even sleep at night knowing that Taylor Swift is unable to have her cake and then also be eating that exact cake at the same time that she is having the cake.

Dec 12, 2017
None of those people work for her, right? They're employed by the corporations that pay for those things because it's profitable to do so. Or do we hold her accountable for the people getting screwed over by the corporation screwing her over just because they're all paid to be working on the same job?

Take Taylor Swift out of that equation and put literally any other artist in the same position. Do you suggest we now hate every successful musician on the planet? What about writers? Do we rail against them for the printing presses that produce their books, the people that work with them on book tours?

I guess we might as well just hate any kind of success at all, even if that means defending corporations for exploiting everyone they can for every penny they can - regardless of whether they're paid minimum wage or worth hundreds of millions.
Lol what?? So know you have to own the company doing the exploiting?? Soliciting their labor is not exploitative??? Dude, really???

I'm only calling out the people who said Taylor Swift hasn't exploited anyone to become a millionaire which is bullshit.

My point isn't that Taylor Swift is evil, it's that I have little empathy for her. Yes, the music industry needs to change but at the end of the day she's complaining about a contract that made her a multi-millionaire.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even sleep at night knowing that Taylor Swift is unable to have her cake and then also be eating that exact cake at the same time that she is having the cake.

She wanted to buy her masters fair and square but they told her they'd only sell to her if she committed to 10 years or something with them. When she said no they sold her stuff to someone who hates her and now is just fucking with her because they can.

She wanted to buy them and they fucked her instead

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol what?? So know you have to own the company doing the exploiting?? Soliciting their labor is not exploitative??? Dude, really???

I'm only calling out the people who said Taylor Swift hasn't exploited anyone to become a millionaire which is bullshit.

My point isn't that Taylor Swift is evil, it's that I have little empathy for her. Yes, the music industry needs to change but at the end of the day she's complaining about a contract that made her a multi-millionaire.

"Come on, Taylor Swift, you know what it is. You was in on the heist, you just don't like your cut."

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to this, any contracts signed by a minor is not legally valid and the minor can file a lawsuit to void the entire contract because they don't have the legal capacity to enter into a legally binding contract.

So Taylor Swift's contract was invalid between the time she was 15 until she turned 18:

Contracts signed by minors, those under the age of 18, do not have the same legal status as contracts signed by adults because minors are seen as not having the same legal understanding as adults. Because of that, when minors sign contracts, the contract is not valid, and minors are under no obligation to honor that contract. There are exceptions, which include contracts for food, lodging, medicine, and other necessities.

Outside of contracts for necessities, minors may enter into a legal agreement, but the contract is considered "voidable" only by them. This is due to the presumption that minors lack the legal capacity to initially agree to the contract terms. A minor may choose to either terminate the agreement or allow it to continue as agreed upon. The law surrounding minors' ability to enter contracts is meant to prevent them from agreeing to a contract that takes advantage of their lack of understanding.

Minors can only void a contract due to their age while they are still considered a minor. Once a person reaches the age of 18 and hasn't taken action to void the contract, they can no longer void it for that reason.

How a Minor Can Void a Contract
A contract can be voided by a minor in one of two ways:

File a lawsuit requesting the court to void the agreement.

If sued, increase the affirmative defense of lack of capacity.

The entire contract must be voided if a minor chooses to void any part of it. It is not possible to void only one provision of the agreement. The minor cannot simply pick and choose the terms of the agreement that sound favorable.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
very deep irony in that AOC tweet considering Taylor Swift's dad funded the natal stages of her career with money made while working for Merrill Lynch lol

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't, because AFAIK she did not void it.

Yes it is invalid until she turned 18, the article I linked to states a contract signed by a minor is invalid:

Contracts signed by minors, those under the age of 18, do not have the same legal status as contracts signed by adults because minors are seen as not having the same legal understanding as adults. Because of that, when minors sign contracts, the contract is not valid, and minors are under no obligation to honor that contract.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is invalid until she turned 18, the article I linked to states a contract signed by a minor is invalid:
They need to void it first. When the article says that they are under no obligation to honour it just means they have an easy, no strings attached out. If the contract were actually invalid she could not be getting paid because there would be no actual at all.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to void it first. When the article says that they are under no obligation to honour it just means they have an easy, no strings attached out. If the contract were actually invalid she could not be getting paid because there would be no actual at all.

Well, if this is indeed a legal presumption, a court should rule that no one can sign a legal contract until they turn 18:

Outside of contracts for necessities, minors may enter into a legal agreement, but the contract is considered "voidable" only by them. This is due to the presumption that minors lack the legal capacity to initially agree to the contract terms.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I'm shocked at the vitriol and hate Taylor Swift inspires in some people. Way to go, ERA, hating on a successful young woman who got cheated out of her life's work.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if this is indeed a legal presumption, a court should rule that no one can sign a legal contract until they turn 18:
You can void it, but unless you do it's treated as valid. She'd have to return the money otherwise as if there were no contract she had no legal claim on it.

I'm shocked at the vitriol and hate Taylor Swift inspires in some people. Way to go, ERA, hating on a successful young woman who got cheated out of her life's work.
She's worth $400M. Save the tears for Ke$ha. This is a fight between millionaires.

Jan 10, 2018
I'm having a hard time seeing Taylor Swift as some sort of exploited victim when the deal allowed her to become a worldwide mega celebrity. This whole saga reeks of a bunch of petty rich people fighting amongst themselves. Well, at least they were fighting amongst themselves until Taylor turned on her drone army.
bUt TaYlOr SwIfT iS hEoIcAlLy RAgInG aGaInSt ThE mAcHiNe
It's possible to disagree with them and Taylor Swift at the same time, but if picking a team works for you than more power to you!

Your miniscule focus on Taylor Swift being rich over rich contract holders being abusive, was slightly missleading. So please forgive my inaptitude.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
I wonder if all the anti-Taylor people are also anti-student loan forgiveness. Those 17-18-19 year olds all signed contracts, after all. Sometimes with their well-off parents being co-signers.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
Millionaire vs millionaire. I'm also in the camp of letting them fight it out. Taylor Swift also has a legion of fans at her disposal which have already doxxed the record label.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
You can void it, but unless you do it's treated as valid. She'd have to return the money otherwise as if there were no contract she had no legal claim on it.

She's worth $400M. Save the tears for Ke$ha. This is a fight between millionaires.
The nerve to bring up Kesha when Swift literally paid for her legal fees and did more for artists rights than pretty much every other pop Megastar.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jan 10, 2018

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like if Robert Johnson was still alive and he tried to get us to tweet at the devil to give him his soul back.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Every so often I'm reminded that Era has a really high proportion of its userbase that are complete cunts.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Some of these takes sure are... something. Like come this is obviously wrong how can you be okay what happened to her in any way? Her being rich doesn't mean it's not wrong.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
If true that Kanye has them he should track new vocals and remaster them as his own. The most epic of trolls.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if all the anti-Taylor people are also anti-student loan forgiveness. Those 17-18-19 year olds all signed contracts, after all. Sometimes with their well-off parents being co-signers.

I didn't read my student loan agreements, sign them, then expect to have the contract disappear because I don't want to owe student loans anymore.

Do student loans suck? Absolutely. Are they a predatory system that should be changed? Absolutely. But I signed them, and I live with the consequences everyday.

Maybe the 15 year old and an adult co-signer should fully comprehend the consequences of their actions before signing a life-altering contract?

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Let me put it this way: If this is happening to Taylor, one of the most successful performers of our time, imagine how less fortunate songwriters are treated when business relationships sour. These contracts are so one-sided it's not even funny.

kiKs__

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2019
It's not about her being a woman. She got an offer that most artists could only dream of, they proposed a deal that would allow her to not only own her masters but every video and photo. From the contract that was posted the only thing that wasn't agreed upon was the number of years. Swift wanted 7, they wanted 10.

She walked away on good terms, but once they sold to Scooter she felt betrayed and started acting like a big baby.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
^thats with the new label she is with. Her old label did not transfer or let her own her masters tho?

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The deals she made catapulted her to over 300 million dollars. I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure that's the 1% of the 1%. I have musician friends who don't have health insurance, or are hobbled by student loan debt, who spend their days working hard jobs for low pay. It's impossible for me to drum up sympathy for Swift because the artistic integrity of her Netflix special is compromised. That's the type of consequences you may face when you sell out on a level that is almost unheard of in the history of human artistic endeavor. On the plus side, she was so well compensated for her art (and by Donald Trump's wealth redistribution) that her entire family will be able to survive climate change by building a fortified compound in the habitable zone.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm firmly in the let them fight camp.
This

It's not like her dad was already filthy rich, paid for a share in Big Machine and knew in advance that they would sell her songs to Kanye's manager.

Oh wait, he does.

As it stands, it's a fight between two filthy rich companies. It's weird to view Taylor as one girl against a big bad studio when the thing is, Taylor Swift is one huge company by itself. She isn't alone while making these decisions, even moreso in the last decade.

Godsfather

Jul 14, 2019
I can't believe the lack of humanity here, won't someone think of the rich pop star? Hopefully she can shake off all the haters

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
As it stands, it's a fight between two filthy rich companies. It's weird to view Taylor as one girl against a big bad studio when the thing is, Taylor Swift is one huge company by itself. She isn't alone while making these decisions, even moreso in the last decade.

Thing is, if someone as big as Taylor Swift is getting fucked over, I don't even want to imagine what is happening to smaller, less popular artists.