• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
https://www.stereogum.com/1970645/a...?utm_source=sc-fb&utm_medium=ref&utm_campaign

Two months ago Meghan Herning, editor of the small blog PopFront, wrote an article critical of Taylor Swift and her single "Look What You Made Me Do."

Herning noted that Swift is held up as a pop icon in the white-supremacist world and that many neo-Nazis believe that Swift secretly shares their beliefs. The post made note of "dog whistles to white supremacy in the lyrics of her latest single," and it ended by calling on Swift to denounce white supremacy.

Two weeks ago, Herning received a letter from William J. Briggs, II, an attorney representing Swift, demanding that she remove the story and issue a retraction. The letter labels Herning's blog post as "provably false and defamatory" and threatens a lawsuit. In a new press release, the ACLU of Northern California has taken Herning's side, writing that Herning's blog post is "a mix of political speech and critical commentary" and that Swift's lawyer's claim is "meritless."

ACLU lawyer Matt Cagle writes, "Not in her wildest dreams can Ms. Swift use copyright law to suppress this exposure of a threat to constitutionally protected speech."

The ACLU is now asking that Swift's lawyers write a new letter promising that they will not pursue a lawsuit against Herning.

What say you Tay Swift fans and haters?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
"hey Taylor, we know you're not a nazi, we just need you to say that"

*gets sued*

The epitome of white fragility

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Every time a new story comes out about Taylor Swift she looks more and more like an asshole.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you do that? The blog is one step up from Blogspot.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good call, Taylor. No way this will amplify the story and make even more people read the original blog post and wonder about the points it's making, and your reaction to it.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an amazing world we live in.

Denouncing white supremacy is hard for one of the most popular musical artists in the world. Harder than it is for the President of the United States apparently.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm really not into pop music but I've heard a lot of things about Taylor Swift that make her seem like she is really not a nice person.

So yeah, not good.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
For the amount Taylor probably pays in retainers, make the man work at something, anything

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Does she even know about the letter? This seems like something that someone saw and got handed off to overzealous legal team. If it were up to her she probably would have just ignored it. Either way, she's Streisanded now and she's probably going to have to make a statement.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Pizza companies and pop stars, the strange world of the modern white supremacists, I think people have too much time on their hands.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Things the lawyers are right about: Her actions don't necessarily constitute endorsement of white supremacy.
Things the lawyers are wrong about: Taylor Swift not being a white supremacist figurehead.

Overall the things listed in the letter seem like a mix of reasonable statements and statements that go a bit far. She's not really under any obligation to address it. But if people were holding me up as their Aryan queen I'd probably say something about it.

oo7

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So because a random blogger said she should say she isn't a neo-nazi, she has too or else? If I don't do what someone tells me to do does that make me guilty of the accusation? Come ON MAAAAN

TSWIZZLE STAY UNDEFEATED

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Even the guys protecting the Nazis free speech are against her now, she would do well to just denounce it at this point

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What exactly was so difficult in throwing out a short tweet lambasting the Nazi movement?

Problem solved. Why even up the ante and take this to a legal issue?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
What a world, where a pop star finds it more convenient to sue a blogger than saying "im not a nazi".

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Swift is pretty hawkish when it comes to legal stuff, otherwise this probably would've just been ignored

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an overeager lawyer.

Things the lawyers are right about: Her actions don't necessarily constitute endorsement of white supremacy.
Things the lawyers are wrong about: Taylor Swift not being a white supremacist figurehead.

She's not really under any obligation to address it. But if people were holding me up as their Aryan queen I'd probably say something.
this

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If you're not a Nazi this seems like a pretty poor way to respond to being asked to say as much.

I haven't heard the song myself, but the way the article breaks it down does make it seem pretty heavy on the dogwhistles. If it's not intended as such, Taylor prolly shoulda just said so.

This is why stuff like Eminem publicly saying that he's not interested in the Trump fandom's support is important btw - it may feel like a "least you could do" measure, but for some people, even that looks like it's too much.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
So because a random blogger said she should say she isn't a neo-nazi, she has too or else? If I don't do what someone tells me to do does that make me guilty of the accusation? Come ON MAAAAN

TSWIZZLE STAY UNDEFEATED

The only "or else" here is Taylor suing the person asking her to denounce nazis

Her suing instead of ignoring it or just having no problem denouncing makes it look bad. Her lawyers are probably giving her shitty advice considering she's a celebrity and optics matter. Her lawyers have now created a PR shitstorm out of a drizzle

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
She expects to get money from this person? Swift already has hundreds of millions of dollars.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is anyone surprised? This is probably if anything more for publicity, that it will get people talking about her more
She is in this bad girl phase now, and is soaking up being seen as a tough bitch who's sick of being nice gal

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
She doesn't even have to come out and say she is or isn't a nazi.

But why would she even acknowledge it the blog's existence, like is she googling for this shit or does she have a web crawler that does it for her?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I was unaware of Taylor being big with the white-supremacist crowd and now I am.

Lawsuit threat is working like a charm.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Daily Stormer is going to endorse her as the official diva of neo Nazis now. Will she then have to beg them not to buy her albums?

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, the optics on this are terrible. I dislike Taylor Swift but I'm guessing this is more likely a case of her lawyers being eager as opposed to her trying to play nice with Nazis.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
Does she even know about the letter? This seems like something that someone saw and got handed off to overzealous legal team. If it were up to her she probably would have just ignored it. Either way, she's Streisanded now and she's probably going to have to make a statement.

Idk, most other celebrities don't have a hard time not being seen as a Nazi.

Oct 25, 2017

TSWIZZLE STAY UNDEFEATED
I feel like that only works until you decide to sue them.

The whole thing is ridiculous in the first place, and it would have been a nothing story if she had simply ignored it, but she decided to go after them.

And is saying "I'm not a Nazi" really more difficult and time consuming than taking legal action?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Can some gimme a quick run down of why her song blows the dog whistle for white supremacy? That is a huge claim to make.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"At one point in the accompanying music video, Taylor lords over an army of models from a podium, akin to what Hitler had in Nazis Germany. The similarities are uncanny and unsettling."

I read the whole thing and if it isn't a parody I don't know what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.