• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Swift has been political when it comes to issues of White feminism though. Asking her to be political with issues relating to PoC and other subjugated groups rights should not be a difficult thing for her to do; especially when she has been flung these allegations from way back. This isn't new. Swift makes it her mantra to espouse feminism, but outright forgets about intersectionality. Her refusal to denounce Nazism when you consider this is disappointing, to say the least.
Which is fine. You can be disappointed. Choose not to listen if you wish (can't say I listen to her). But being forced to answer to answer no-name bloggers due to simply what their question was, cheapens not only the response but the subject matter of what was asked.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking from an ethical standpoint, I don't think it's bad to seek clarification out when the dichotomy presented is one that is clearly an argument that is good versus bad. In this particular case, denouncement of Nazism is good while remaining silent is the bad because it indirectly allows for her alt-right audience to grow.

I agree that we should not pressure apolitical figures to issue declarative statements about their views. But, in this context, I define "politicized opinions" as ones that have to do with other types of complex problems that don't fit neatly into dichotomous good versus bad paradigms. I don't think it's fair to expect Taylor to speak from a place of absolute knowledge when speaking about economic policies or other similar arguments. However, I do think it's fair to expect her to speak out against something that is clearly good or bad.

Yeah. That's fair. I think I more or less agree with you.

That said, you probably won't find me among the throngs of people online who'd make definitive claims about her moral character should she opt for continued silence. I'm tremendously more concerned about the culture that seems to presume the absolute worst of people on the flimsiest of evidence than I am about a single, likely liberal popstar.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn't be to her detriment in any conceivable way. You're absolutely right in that. Regardless, I feel immensely uncomfortable with pressuring politically apathetic people, famous, privileged or otherwise to dip a toe into this sort of thing.

Still, I genuinely feel the path she's going down now is probably one of the worst ways she could have handled it, if only because it directs way more eyes to this blogger than they ever could have amassed otherwise.

I think you can be politically apathetic and still have the decency and humanity to denounce nazis who might want to appropriate your message to strengthen the reach of their brand.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So from what I get out of the situation:

• Blog states Taylor should denounce white supremacy because of assumptions
  • Taylor doesn't and sues for defamation
  • People want her to denounce whit3 supremacy
Hmm... can't y'all leave her alone? Like, not everyone is big into politics or talks about it like we do. She doesn't owe the world an answer or statement.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Which is fine. You can be disappointed. Choose not to listen if you wish (can't say I listen to her). But being forced to answer to answer no-name bloggers due to simply what their question was, cheapens not only the response but the subject matter of what was asked.

I agree with this. No one owes an answer to someone just because they asked. I'd prefer she made a statement in light of the defamation suit threat, but I certainly don't feel I'm owed it.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
She was never forced to answer. Just like she was never forced to answer the nazis that say she supports them. She chose to answer with a lawsuit. Which is the entire reason anyone's talking about this.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. No one's expecting much from Taylor Swift regarding topics like white supremacy, but at the very least the way she and her team decided to respond was a terrible business decision.

Oh absolutely...

I have little sympathy for her really, nor the blogger who decided trying to find signs in Taylor's music that that she loves Hitler.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm laughing at some of this talk about outrage considering some of the things I've seen posted lol

It might also be a good idea for some of you to actually read the blog post in question instead of just riffing

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe she should have sued the Nazis who claimed her in the first place, then?

Or, you know, continued to ignore it all.
Why sue Nazis? Unless they're peddling lies about her she prob has no reason to. Even then, consistency of law suits isn't a good metric. It just reeks of people trying to grasp for straws about her.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... can't y'all leave her alone? Like, not everyone is big into politics or talks about it like we do. She doesn't owe the world an answer or statement.
I guess she owes the world a public lawsuit report? If she was about that "I don't need this" life, she could be ignoring the blog and it would be a blip instead of red meat for tabloid conspiracy fluff.

instead "lets send a legal message to anyone else that would dare write such things about me"

jaytothe

Oct 30, 2017
i really really doubt she is alt right or whatever but i'm definitely in favor of her taking more Ls

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was never forced to answer. Just like she was never forced to answer the nazis that say she supports them. She chose to answer with a lawsuit. Which is the entire reason anyone's talking about this.
Certainly the optics of it look bad. Doubt she as a person had much to do with this decision so much as it was "Team Swift" and her lawyers. I have a feeling this is much less about politics and much more about business decisions vs. legal decisions.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
She'll tweet out a statement that states the obvious (that she doesn't endorse white supremacy) and it won't be enough anyway.

Swift is one of the prominent examples of tall poppy syndrome.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe she should have sued the Nazis who claimed her in the first place, then?

Or, you know, continued to ignore it all.

Honestly, I doubt she was aware of the alt-right's infatuation with her at all until this blog post was brought to her attention. Considering how she seems to be thoroughly uninterested in current events and all

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
I would not have paid this any mind if she just ignored it, but here we are.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I guess she owes the world a public lawsuit report? If she was about that "I don't need this" life, she could be ignoring the blog and it would be a blip instead of red meat for tabloid conspiracy fluff.
She owes y'all nothing. Her suing the blogger isn't indicative of anything.

They're claiming she's secretly a Nazi/alt-right. That's why this story is a story to begin with.

Which Nazi does she sue? Does she sue the platform? Like, who would this law suot be targeted at. That's step 1.

Consistency with lawsuits isn't anything. That's like saying Blizzard is 100% ok with certain private servers cause they're still up after so many years.

Y'all want something you'll never get and since you're not getting it, the default for the brain is to fill in the gaps. She owes y'all nothing.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's the case she's a secret Nazi supporter or that her lyrics have secret white supremacy dog whistles in them, guys.

She doesn't want to get dragged into politics and that's what her lawyers try to maintain. It's probably that simple.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's the case she's a secret Nazi supporter or that her lyrics have secret white supremacy dog whistles in them, guys.

She doesn't want to get dragged into politics and that's what her lawyers try to maintain. It's probably that simple.
If it were that simple then she'd be suing the Nazis who are claiming that she's a secret Nazi.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why she is always the talk of the show by not speaking, I guess that happens when you are the second biggest music act

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Her team has threatened legal action against people who were associating Hitler quotes to her in the past.

Who specifically should she have sued? Breitbart for tweeting her lyrics? Honestly I legit think she would threaten action against sites like Daily Stormer if they called her one of their own.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Why sue some nobody writer?

Because the article she is suing over is about WHY white supremacists say she os one of them.

They were the ones peddling the lies the article is being sued for in the first place.

That's why this whole thing is so god damned stupid on her an her team's part.

Ok? The blogger took lies, believed them, and published them as truths. She got sued. Life goes on.

Jaffo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rome, Italy
I'd sue her ass too. Taylor Swift is a white supremacist now. Lmao. How thirsty can journalists be for scandal.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't strike you as odd that the mega-millionaire, possible billionaire Swift is going at the weakest point in the chain instead of actually addressing the nazi thing, like a whole popular dance video "stop using my brand, nazi assholes"? I guess that T. Swift is dead?

I'd sue her ass too. Taylor Swift is a white supremacist now. Lmao. How thirsty can journalists be for scandal.
the lawsuit is the scandal. the rumours were just snakes under the bridge until that.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
So from what I get out of the situation:

• Blog states Taylor should denounce white supremacy because of assumptions
  • Taylor doesn't and sues for defamation
  • People want her to denounce whit3 supremacy

She's being accused of being a alt-right racist Trumpster with zero evidence. It's getting old.

Amen! The only 'evidence' is that she won't say what people–more specifically 'Outrage Culture'–want her to say.

JFC just tweet "Nazis suck" and you'd by fine. It's literally the least you would need to do. Goddamn.

Off topic: Where is your avatar from? It looks really familiar.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
She owes y'all nothing. Her suing the blogger isn't indicative of anything.

Which Nazi does she sue? Does she sue the platform? Like, who would this law suot be targeted at. That's step 1.

Consistency with lawsuits isn't anything. That's like saying Blizzard is 100% ok with certain private servers cause they're still up after so many years.

Y'all want something you'll never get and since you're not getting it, the default for the brain is to fill in the gaps. She owes y'all nothing.

I don't give a shit who she sues or not. Fact is there's groups of Nazi's/alt-right making the association on social media, which is why this blogger even wrote about it to begin with. The solution for her is tweeting two simple words: Fuck Nazi's.

She's owe's us nothing, and we owe her nothing. If she ain't gonna talk about it, ain't gonna shake it off with a denouncement, then those associations are gonna stick around and those Nazi's/alt-right are gonna keep talking about how she's one of them. Not even Papa John wants that association.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im sorry but I skimmed the first few comments and I'm surprised people feel taylor swift is in the wrong here.

Getting called a nazi/white supremacist by some low level blogger is slanderous.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Why sue some nobody writer?

Because the article she is suing over is about WHY white supremacists say she os one of them.

They were the ones peddling the lies the article is being sued for in the first place.

That's why this whole thing is so god damned stupid on her an her team's part.

Her team did in facr make legal threats to the person that created the original Swift Nazi memes, for all we know they also sent letters to nazis.

Either way the blog writer did more thsn just repeat other peoples claims, thry make their own claims calling Swifts lyrics dog whistle racism.

Nobody has been sued, this is all based on a take down request. The main nazi site thst peddled Swift as a nazi doesnt even exist anymore.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I don't give a shit who she sues or not. Fact is there's groups of Nazi's/alt-right making the association on social media, which is why this blogger even wrote about it to begin with. The solution for her is tweeting two simple words: Fuck Nazi's.

She's owe's us nothing, and we owe her nothing. If she ain't gonna talk about it, ain't gonna shake it off with a denouncement, then those associations are gonna stick around and those Nazi's/alt-right are gonna keep talking about how she's one of them. Not even Papa John wants that association.
So what you're saying is you're going to believe something because you filled in the blanks? Interesting.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm laughing at some of this talk about outrage considering some of the things I've seen posted lol

It might also be a good idea for some of you to actually read the blog post in question instead of just riffing

The contents of the article don't really matter that much. Her response does.

Numerous celebrities have articles written about them like that all the time, and they don't sue before even addressing (or denouncing) the allegations. Not only that, but we aren't talking an article on Vox or HuffPo or Buzzfeed, this is maybe a step up from a personal blogspot. This was an article they had to look for. Claiming defamation is extremely petty given the low reach of the website and partly why we have the "outrage" you see. This article didn't do a single thing to hurt her career but she is going out of her way to potentially get money out of this situation.

It's perfectly sane to expect her to simply address the outlandish allegations, denounce her alt-right supporters, and move on; or hell doing nothing would have been more acceptable. Instead her response is now the story.
(getting a bit of deja vu)

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Read her article. You clearly have not read it.
I clearly have. You clearly have read more into it

This

It is hard to believe that Taylor had no idea that the lyrics of her latest single read like a defense of white privilege and white anger

Is the closest thing to an accusation.

Have you ever read a lit crit analysis before? 'Cause this shit's pretty bog standard.

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
This thread is terrible. The last few pages are nothing but petty bickering and unsubstantiated speculation. So i'm locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.