• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018

Skip to 3:30 for the God of War talk.
TLDW: Sony wanted someone who could do both the voice and the motion capture, instead of 2 different actors.

TC seems to imply Sony was shady with how that went down.

"It was how it was done. As an actor, you lose jobs all the time - you are done with jobs all the time. But when somebody lets you go, it's a respect thing for me - just come and talk to me and say "Hey, you know, thank you for your service, but we're going in a different direction." Never got any call like that.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Doesn't sound shady so much was it was discourteous, but they should have called him as a show of respect. He carried the character for many years.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't sound shady so much was it was discourteous, but they should have called him as a show of respect. He carried the character for many years.

Pretty much. They likely didn't have him on some kind of permanent contract, so it was a dick move to not call him and say "hey we're going in a different direction", but it's not exactly shady either.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I feel the same.

It is a shame. His voice is awesome. They should have at least brought him back for young Kratos flashbacks as his new voice wouldn't fit with the old angry Kratos.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
1570454482_915331_1570454906_noticia_normal.jpg
You in the right thread there?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Kyle Barker from Living Single being the voice of Kratos all these years was something I didn't know about until Ascension.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
I feel like this was all known information years ago? TC didn't fit the direction and tone they were going for. Especially with regards to performance capture stuff. Christopher Judge did an amazing job breathing new life into Kratos

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. A little explanation is all you need as a sign of respect. And this applies to everything in life including how all people communicate on this forum.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Corey talked about the process for picking new Cratos, it was both technical and artistic.

As for not notifying TC, oh well. That could have been handled better, but they were not obliged to do so.

IMO, there is still chance for TC to make some kind of comeback, in some flashback.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Christopher Judge really gave that character a new lease on life, but they could have at least called Carson. It feels like that would have been the decent thing to do.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Assuming Thor is the big bad in the sequel. It's be cool to have TC voice him or whoever the Norse dad god is.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah, would have been nice if SSM/Sony would have given him a call when they decided to recast. Not sure if he'd take it, but I think it would be great if they could give him a role in the future games, even if it's a small one.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
A shame, he was sorely missed. Judge never sounded right, felt like a direct to dvd disney sequel, just close enough to throw you off.

This industry should treat voice actors who have long histories with these characters better.

Last edited:

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Judge is not leagues better, they are both great to their respective Kratos.
The OG God of war 2 and ghost of Sparta are some of my favorite games of all time but the voice acting is just cringey, I shouldn't say judge is league's better than TC as an actor but the performances, yeah 2018 was leagues better than the OG series.

But TC gave the performance what the directors wanted and he did what the material dictated, I don't know what performance he would've put out with 2018 but judge killed it.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Judge does an incredible job... but I also think it's unfair to just dismiss Carson as not "fitting" the new Kratos. Who knows what he could have done with the better characterization and writing of Norse Kratos vs Greek Kratos

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
The OG God of war 2 and ghost of Sparta are some of my favorite games of all time but the voice acting is just cringey, I shouldn't say judge is league's better than TC as an actor but the performances, yeah 2018 was leagues better than the OG series.

But TC gave the performance what the directors wanted and he did what the material dictated, I don't know what performance he would've put out with 2018 but judge killed it.
I agree TC played a awesome Katos that fit for the style of story telling they were going for at that time. Judge nailed the Kratos for 2018's GOW because Kratos is at a different time in his life.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
TC did a great job with Kratos during those years, 2018 marks a new direction for the character and Judge did an outstanding job with the character, which fits the new adventures he's embarking on. I feel like TC should've been at least notified of the decision due to his years of work with the character, even if I feel like the era of that Kratos is over and we don't need to go back to it.
I agree TC played a awesome Katos that fit for the style of story telling they were going for at that time. Judge nailed the Kratos for 2018's GOW because Kratos is at a different time in his life.
Yeah, this basically.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
A shame, he was sorely missed. Judge never sounded right, felt like a direct to dvd disney sequel, just close enough to throw you off.

This industry should treat voice actors who have long histories with these characters better.

Yeah, it's crazy that you hear stories like "they recast me my role without telling me" in video games, while in movies you hear the exact opposite "Frank Sinatra was offered the role of John McClane in Die Hard because the movie studio was contractually obligated to offer it to him"

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): trolling with inappropriate insinuations over a series of posts
It really should've been him. Or someone but not Christopher Judge.

Although the reasons are not for me to say.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
That's such a weird excuse because he did the performance capture in Ascension...

How else would they know mocapping a small person to play a big person causes problems they want to fix by recasting if they didn't try it first? Ascension is a PS3 game at 720p as well vs a PS4 game at 1080p and beyond.

D3ht_0rU4AAONcz.jpg
Looks better than ever here. I wonder when this was taken?

Looks like it's from here(his wife):

My guess is, it was prepping to do all God of War Ragnarok mocap including body scan and stunts since Shad Gaspard died and he didn't look like that back in 2016 or whenever the mocap for God of War 2018 was done.

Every photo I saw of Christopher Judge before this looked like your average person who is a little heavier since their metabolism slowed as they age.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Looks like it's from here(his wife):

My guess is, it was prepping to do all God of War Ragnarok mocap including body scan and stunts since Shad Gaspard died and he didn't look like that back in 2016 or whenever the mocap for God of War 2018 was done.

Every photo I saw of Christopher Judge before this looked like your average person who is a little heavier since their metabolism slowed as they age.

Hey thanks for this I couldn't find more info to pinpoint the time and date between Mocap for God of War and this pic. Rest in peace to Shad too. Also happy new year to you.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
He only voiced Kratos 6 times, so I don't know why he'd be so personally attached to the role.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

It's hard to compare them though. Like what games back in the mid to late 2000s had good voice acting and writing, especially action games where that stuff wasn't the main focus?
It's not like TC Carson is a bad actor either, hell he could've potentially done a better job.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nah... I wouldn't want to have people get in contact to me to tell that I won't been working with them again. It doesn't makes a lot of sense to me.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely should have given him notice but it's clear why they went in a different direction.

It really should've been him. Or someone but not Christopher Judge.

Although the reasons are not for me to say.
The hell is this? So it's ok to just vaguely imply awful shit about people with no cause or evidence to back it up?