• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Bringing this back for a new era :)

Rtings Review

uDsZETU.png

dvJodYV.png

also confirmed that p605 and p607 are the same TVs with different remotes

Best Buy has the 55 inch currently for $599.99

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I plan on getting this near the end of November. I'll have an Xbox One X for a few weeks beforehand, and I look forward to hooking it up (along with my PS4 Pro) to my first 4K TV.

OP
OP
Karish

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I would not anticipate a BF sale at all and if so maybe $50. Just get the TV now it's amazing

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
Would buy immediately if they ever came out in Canada. Unfortunately it is seeming to be less and less likely.

ZombieDW

Oct 25, 2017
I have an Xbox One X preordered and will be getting my first 4k tv to go with it. The TCL is one of the TVs I'm considering but I am worried that since the price is so low compared to everything else there must be something wrong with it. Has anyone experienced any issues with their set?

kneePat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an Xbox One X preordered and will be getting my first 4k tv to go with it. The TCL is one of the TVs I'm considering but I am worried that since the price is so low compared to everything else there must be something wrong with it. Has anyone experienced any issues with their set?

The only thing wrong with this TV universally is the dirty screen effect, backlight bleed/flashlighting and Gray uniformity. You can't really avoid these issues from panel to panel, some may be better some worse and/or you may not be sensititve to these issues. But at this price point, the things you do get is insane and unbeatable. You'd have to spend double to get something that was actually better.

Minor points: the sound sucks and you may have judder but that's going to happen with any 60 Hz panel.

ZombieDW

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing wrong with this TV universally is the dirty screen effect, backlight bleed/flashlighting and Gray uniformity. You can't really avoid these issues from panel to panel, some may be better some worse and/or you may not be sensititve to these issues. But at this price point, the things you do get is insane and unbeatable. You'd have to spend double to get something that was actually better.

Minor points: the sound sucks and you may have judder but that's going to happen with any 60 Hz panel.
I figured there could be some issues from panel to panel. Even the premium brands have these problems so I figured this could be an issue. Not too worried about the sound. I'm going to hook it up to my receiver anyway. I'm probably going to wait until black Friday and see if any other brands have good deals.

Dubz

Nov 3, 2017
Los Angeles
Just got this TV Today! Couple questions.

How do I see what resolution my Netflix is running in when I use the built in Roku?

I'm not getting HDR forced on COD on my PS4. I know my Pro upstairs forces it on my other TV (Sony), but I thought HDR was also on the regular PS4. Am I wrong?

i HeaR MusiC

Oct 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Just got this TV Today! Couple questions.

How do I see what resolution my Netflix is running in when I use the built in Roku?

I'm not getting HDR forced on COD on my PS4. I know my Pro upstairs forces it on my other TV (Sony), but I thought HDR was also on the regular PS4. Am I wrong?

Make sure the HDMI setting is set to 2.0 on the TV.

Love this TV though. Nothing compares for the price.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Regret buying my X800D since this thing came out like the week after :/ That input lag @ 4K HDR makes me jelly.

Thing is if I buy another 4K set it's gonna have to be OLED.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! Great timing, my p605 gets delivered in a couple hours.

Look forward to posting in here with questions about it soon lol

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for making this thread, love the TV for the price.

For anyone looking for configuration settings, here's what I use and is based closely on Rtings suggestions:

Picture mode: movie
TV brightness: normal for SD, brightest for HDR
Picture size: auto
Local contrast: high
Backlight: 20 for SDR, 100 for HDR
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color temperature: warm

Under 'Expert picture settings' in the smartphone Roku app I have noise reduction turned off and gamma around 2.2.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Oh sweet, perfect I've been looking for a good tv, and 4k/HDR would be a plus if I can afford it. Was looking for more like 500 tops but might splurge if I know I'm actually getting something good and not just a cheapo thing.

Deleted member 30913

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I have the P605 from Best Buy. I love it. Got it in... August? Paid $657 total.

Set it up using rtings settings. Have a bias light taped to the back. I love it.

Pros: OG PS4 still does HDR on it, 4K HDR content looks awesome, Vudu movies do Dolby Vision/4K, Native Giant Bomb app, Roku OS is pretty solid

Cons: dark at the corners, dirty screen effect, makes me want to upgrade my receiver to one that passes through 4K/HDR, makes me want an Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, there are some Roku ads but you can have it start up at a non-ad screen

The good stuff in this TV outweighs the cons. I'd get an OLED if you can swing it but you can't beat this set's low, low input lag.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any definitive picture settings that aren't subjective, if going for accuracy?

Obviously white balance and more advance picture settings will vary panel to panel but usually TVs have basic settings that are consistent across panels of same model. Like brightness, usually there's that sweet spot where it will get the darkest it can get while not crushing shadow detail, and it's usually consistent for everyone with the same TV.

When I get my set, I just wanna jump to the quick settings I can adjust for now, until I get around to calibrating it with something else later on.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any definitive picture settings that aren't subjective, if going for accuracy?

Obviously white balance and more advance picture settings will vary panel to panel but usually TVs have basic settings that are consistent across panels of same model. Like brightness, usually there's that sweet spot where it will get the darkest it can get while not crushing shadow detail, and it's usually consistent for everyone with the same TV.

When I get my set, I just wanna jump to the quick settings I can adjust for now, until I get around to calibrating it with something else later on.

Rtings suggestions are great. My settings above follow what they suggested outside of the back light setting. They suggested 5 but I found that too dim for my environment.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I have
Thank you for making this thread, love the TV for the price.

For anyone looking for configuration settings, here's what I use and is based closely on Rtings suggestions:

Picture mode: movie
TV brightness: normal for SD, brightest for HDR
Picture size: auto
Local contrast: high
Backlight: 20 for SDR, 100 for HDR
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color temperature: warm

Under 'Expert picture settings' in the smartphone Roku app I have noise reduction turned off and gamma around 2.2.
I have the 605 and love it! RTINGS does say for HDR brightest (w/HDR Dark) is best for HDR but in a light controlled room CNET suggest Darkest. I'm torn because brightest raises global brightness and you lose those rich blacks no?

Deleted member 30913

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607/settings

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Rtings suggestions are great. My settings above follow what they suggested outside of the back light setting. They suggested 5 but I found that too dim for my environment.

I have

I have the 605 and love it! RTINGS does say for HDR brightest (w/HDR Dark) is best for HDR but in a light controlled room CNET suggest Darkest. I'm torn because brightest raises global brightness and you lose those rich blacks no?

Thanks guys, I'm gonna use these for sure, so most of these are pretty unanimous or are we just going off of it cause that's what everyone is copying and just going with it? I trust rtings, just am curious if there's a couple settings where the community is split on and which ones so I can keep an eye out for 'em.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
This tv is amazing with my One X. The 4k and HDR look so goddamn good with rtings settings for games, Vudu, Netlfix, and Amazon. I use Brighter and Picture Mode Normal for HDR. My living room is pretty bright so anything less is incredibly dark and Brighter Picture Mode just looks washed out. The Grand Tour looks absolutely stunning, I heard about this but damn I did not expect that. Getting some 4K blu rays on black Friday, excited to see how those look.

Last edited:

momerath

Oct 27, 2017
I bought one of these and love it. It's an amazing set for the price. Couldn't be happier.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FALD only works on the lowest setting since an update or two ago. There's no change on Medium and High. And at least on my set, though I've seen other talks about this, the flicker is by no means constant but every once in a while at random the screen will flicker.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I have

If you're using local dimming it should help with the black levels. The bigger issue is one of the more recent OS updates introduced a bug that makes all the local dimming options the same and a match for the lowest setting.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna use these for sure, so most of these are pretty unanimous or are we just going off of it cause that's what everyone is copying and just going with it? I trust rtings, just am curious if there's a couple settings where the community is split on and which ones so I can keep an eye out for 'em.

Outside of the slight adjustment I mentioned earlier, I love how my TV looks. I've used some other suggested configurations and still find these to be the best.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the 605 from Best Buy. Great gaming tv.

How bad is streaming sports games going to be? Also, what's this about judder? I don't have cable or satellite hooked to it, but will be using Netflix and Hulu and Amazon Video. Maybe an Apple TV. I'm not even sure what judder is to be honest. Is the picture going to jerk around or something?

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Got this TV over a month ago. Despite a rough startup, mostly everything's been going fine so far.

Now I just need a new receiver so I can actually do 4K HDR passthrough.

Popokarimu

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Got mine over the weekend and I'm absolutely in love with it. Everything I've played on the 1X and the Pro looks incredible.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
This tv is amazing with my One X. The 4k and HDR look so goddamn good with rtings settings for games, Vudu, Netlfix, and Amazon. I use Brighter and Picture Mode Normal for HDR. My living room is pretty bright so anything less is incredibly dark and Brighter Picture Mode just looks washed out. The Grand Tour looks absolutely stunning, I heard about this but damn I did not expect that. Getting some 4K blu rays on black Friday, excited to see how those look.
Highly highly highly recommend planet earth 2. Easily the best 4k content I've seen.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
FALD only works on the lowest setting since an update or two ago. There's no change on Medium and High. And at least on my set, though I've seen other talks about this, the flicker is by no means constant but every once in a while at random the screen will flicker.

No way, I just set up the TV and it auto updated I wasn't even prepared for it just going through the setup. Nooooo. Any way to revert back?