• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Has the S series always been direct-lit? I was under the impression that they were edge-lit. The 3 and 4 series product pages list them as direct-lit, and if that's the case, I may pick up a 43" or 49" as a 4k PC monitor.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has the S series always been direct-lit? I was under the impression that they were edge-lit. The 3 and 4 series product pages list them as direct-lit, and if that's the case, I may pick up a 43" or 49" as a 4k PC monitor.
Only the P605/607 were direct lit last year.

Not sure about this year. I expect it to be the same, with only the 6-series being the one you want to get.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be crazy not to wait for the 6 series at this point right? I have no immediate need for this TV. Just moving into a bigger house end of the month and need a living room TV but can wait a week or so and use my existing if the 6 series is as quality as the 2017 models.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I have a question about the current P series as I own the tv, but currently don't own any audio gear to test the setup I have in question. Can the tv pass surround sound from either HDMI 1 or 2 via ARC on the HDMI 3 port to an audio device that is ARC capable? I have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X to the first 2 HDMI ports and I'm wondering if I can get surround sound out that way.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about the current P series as I own the tv, but currently don't own any audio gear to test the setup I have in question. Can the tv pass surround sound from either HDMI 1 or 2 via ARC on the HDMI 3 port to an audio device that is ARC capable? I have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X to the first 2 HDMI ports and I'm wondering if I can get surround sound out that way.
Yes, I pass LPCM (uncompressed) audio from my Apple 4K TV directly connected to my 605 and that show up on my receiver. My AVR cant pass Dolby Vision so I connect Apple TV directly to the TCL.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Battlefront 2 HDR slider I can keep it up to 70% where both boxes appear solid white. Frostbite does a great job at tone mapping. Any BF2 and TCL owner in this thread?

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I pass LPCM (uncompressed) audio from my Apple 4K TV directly connected to my 605 and that show up on my receiver. My AVR cant pass Dolby Vision so I connect Apple TV directly to the TCL.

Are you sure you are getting more than Stereo? AFAIK the ARC spec doesn't support more than 2 channel PCM or AC3 and DTS.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this would hurry up and come out I want to see how much of a discount the 17 model gets before I jump on the 6

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how low do you think the p6 55 inch will drop once the new sets come out? i've been thinking of getting a tv and i want a 4k with hdr.
I would say $550 the lowest. It's only available through Best Buy and Amazon I believe, so I'm not expecting a major discount even though it's getting discontinued. It's currently not even in stock at Amazon.

MattDoza

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern WA
Yeah I haven't seen the p607 in stock and less than $700 on Amazon for a long time. Months. I don't think it's going to be deeply discounted, like everyone here is hoping.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Owners of this TV, is there a way to turn off the light below the TCL symbol on the front that lights up when the TV is turned off? Its super annoying at night when I'm trying to sleep.

Makes no sense why it lights up when turned off and not when turned on.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I'm upgrading from an old 1080p to the 6 series when it comes out, but I have a question about audio - I currently have my PS4 going into a marantz amp, with HDMI to the tv.
Will the amp pass the hdr signal through? It is pretty old from before 4k was a thing too.

Would I have to plug the PS4 straight into the tv, then run audio out from there into the amp? And doesn't that create horrific audio lag?
I really didn't want to have to buy a new amp at the same time and I'm getting worried my setup would need an overhaul for hdr to work.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this basically an updated version of that S405 model from last year?
Yea, but it's supposed to be alot better. I think it should be on par or maybe even better then the current p series, at least from what I read. Here's some info:

The 5-Series will be available in sizes ranging from 43 inches to 65 inches, and will feature the HDR Performance Package, which includes HDR Dynamic Contrast and HDR Pro Gamma control (no Contrast Control Zone lighting, though). The 55-inch and 65-inch 5-series models are also outfitted with 240 Natural Motion Technology for smooth action and onscreen movement.

Both the 5-Series and 6-Series have Wide Color Gamut with NBP Photon technology, three HDMI 2.0a ports with HDCP 2.2, and high-speed 802.11ac wireless and Ethernet networking options.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
It's only a few more weeks until the new models. But, I think I'm just going to get the 607 today or tomorrow. The lack of information and I really want to play GOW in HDR is making it hard to keep waiting...

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Also what are the new comparable Vizio models? The 4k non HDR TV I have now is Vizio and I have vizios in every room of my house so I love them. The model I was looking at last year was I think the M series and it was pretty good but only one port did 4K hdr and 60hz which was a deal breaker...

Last edited:

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Any info on who will be selling the new models? I assume Best Buy and Amazon, but wonder if they will expand to Target and Walmart as well.

Nazonozonoya

Jan 7, 2018
It's only a few more weeks until the new models. But, I think I'm just going to get the 607 today or tomorrow. The lack of information and I really want to play GOW in HDR is making it hard to keep waiting...

I'm in the same boat, PS4 Pro with no 4KTV, have held off on playing Horizon because of this and GoW this week is making me inpatient on new models.

MattDoza

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern WA
I'm wondering if the differences will be anything more than marginal, between the p series and 6. Do review sites get their hands on TV's early or do they have to wait like the public?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm wondering if the differences will be anything more than marginal. Do review sites get their hands on TV's early or do they have to wait like the public?

review sites usually get them before they are widely available. like last year avsforum's preview is what started the hype train. lol

that only works if the product is actually as good as advertised though. otherwise it can backfire. they have more competition from vizio this year.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if the differences will be anything more than marginal, between the p series and 6. Do review sites get their hands on TV's early or do they have to wait like the public?

It's going to be more than marginal. It has quite a bite more zones for local dimming and also higher peak brightness

Phatzo

Mar 22, 2018
Owners of this TV, is there a way to turn off the light below the TCL symbol on the front that lights up when the TV is turned off? Its super annoying at night when I'm trying to sleep.

Makes no sense why it lights up when turned off and not when turned on.
Yes. It is under the settings in the menu.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why on earth did they make the stand stick out further than the tv itself? That's going to be a huge pita for people to fit on tv stands.