• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017
Ok question for my 605p. When I have bright scenes come on it seems like the whole screen dims some. Is there a way to disable this? Noticed this in GOW with bright snow.

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me what my PS4 Pro settings should be?

I'm not seeing a difference in God of War at the games default HDR settings and I'm trying to figure out why.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so I know the P series is getting an update (the 6 series), but is the S series getting an update too? And what is it being called? I'm thinking of getting a 43" for another room (largest I can fit in the space), and as this is just a secondary TV for another room, it doesn't have to be as fantastic as the P/6 series. So yeah, is there an S series update as well? And what's it called? Thanks!

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hey, so I know the P series is getting an update (the 6 series), but is the S series getting an update too? And what is it being called? I'm thinking of getting a 43" for another room (largest I can fit in the space), and as this is just a secondary TV for another room, it doesn't have to be as fantastic as the P/6 series. So yeah, is there an S series update as well? And what's it called? Thanks!

5 series

https://www.tclusa.com/products/home-theater/5-series

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
They took the price down but it was $999 for the 65" version.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NJMFL8?

oh boy
just picked up a Vizio M 65" 2017 a couple months ago but have also a 605p, 55 for gaming
Man if it realy is $999 and not closer to the new Vizio P 2018 to which I'm thinkinking it will compare most favorably to at $1300+ then I may have to bite and move the M downstairs and put the 6 series in the tv room. but he 2017M is no slouch for tv viewing, movies streaming though

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
$999 for 65R615 at best buy. Became available at 1am central time. I got mine ordered. Excited to finally update my TV. Will go great with my Scorpio. A steal at this price. Now it's just waiting until May 9th. Hope I get good news tomorrow that it's just a placeholder date.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Bestbuy isn't carrying the 55" the one I've been waiting on and holding out and not getting the 605 recently...

Oct 27, 2017
Best buy and amazon with different product versions again (voice remote vs no voice remote) but share the same price. Amazon might be the way to go for now...

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
Meanwhile here in europe... when will we see the new model? TCL is Thomson here in europe (at least in Spain) but I don't expect any update soon...

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Please help out this uninitiated 4k novice. Looking for something entry level to pair with my Xbox One X in the 48-50" range.

I was looking into the S series until I heard about the new models so decided to wait. Now I see the 5 series is out but it's running about $100 more than the S series. Is it really worth the difference?

Am I fool for not just saving up for the 6 series? Coming from a pretty old/bad TV so I'll be easily impressed, and I think 55" is a tad too big for my studio - have a 42" now.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Please help out this uninitiated 4k novice. Looking for something entry level to pair with my Xbox One X in the 48-50" range.

I was looking into the S series until I heard about the new models so decided to wait. Now I see the 5 series is out but it's running about $100 more than the S series. Is it really worth the difference?

Am I fool for not just saving up for the 6 series? Coming from a pretty old/bad TV so I'll be easily impressed, and I think 55" is a tad too big for my studio - have a 42" now.

Nab the 5-series if you can.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I've had my 55" for only a few months and normally am not one to rush out and buy a new tv... But already I'm mind screwing if I want to upgrade to the 65" version, lol. Prior to this 55" TCL purchase i was using a 42" Vizio that was at least 7-8 years old. Upgraded to the TCL when i got my Xbox 1X. I love the tv, but the thought of replacing it with a newer, 65" model sounds fun. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Can't wait for reviews. If they're insanely positive it will be harder to not make the purchase.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017

My wild speculation (wishful thinking) is that the 5 series will be pretty much the same as the 6 series, just without full array local dimming. Meaning that it could be direct lit, where the S series is edge lit. That right there is worth the premium. Something to keep an eye on when the reviews start tickling in.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
My wild speculation (wishful thinking) is that the 5 series will be pretty much the same as the 6 series, just without full array local dimming. Meaning that it could be direct lit, where the S series is edge lit. That right there is worth the premium. Something to keep an eye on when the reviews start tickling in.

I see, thanks for the input. So worth waiting or just jumping on the 5 now? Everything is going to be a massive upgrade for me, so it's really just a matter of if the 5 series is worth the extra $100 over the S series. If the general consensus is yes then I won't bother waiting for reviews.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
I see, thanks for the input. So worth waiting or just jumping on the 5 now? Everything is going to be a massive upgrade for me, so it's really just a matter of if the 5 series is worth the extra $100 over the S series. If the general consensus is yes then I won't bother waiting for reviews.
I personally think it's worth waiting for more details. It's entirely possible that there's zero improvements, and this is just a badge refresh. But I also understand the impatience. That's why I have a 55" P instead of waiting 6 months for the 65" 6.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Damn, CNET is saying no headphone jack on the 617. That's the only reason I would get it,I don't care about voice commands.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There exists no space that 55" is too big for.

Not trolling. These posts always baffle me. 55" is not big at all, you can make it work. You'll be glad you did! The 6 series is way better.

I mean, you game, right? Have you ever calculated how many hours of your life you spend looking at the TV? What percentage of your free time? It's more logical to arrange your space to fit your TV, not the other way around.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

As someone who really didn't have enough money for the P series (even though man I wanted it), I picked up a 55 in S405 during Black Friday last year.

I can honestly tell you that it's an incredible TV. Maybe it's because it's my first 4K, but the built in Roku works wonders and the 4K is pretty damn crisp. The HDR is definitely too dark, but for most games it's still better than not having HDR at all. A friend of mine picked up the X900E a few months ago and I go over regularly. I'll be honest, his TV looks amazing, but it doesn't (imo) look another 1000 dollar amazing.

I actually ended up returning the 55 inch and going for a 65 inch instead. With 4K tvs, the bigger the better.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
There exists no space that 55" is too big for.

Not trolling. These posts always baffle me. 55" is not big at all, you can make it work. You'll be glad you did! The 6 series is way better.

I mean, you game, right? Have you ever calculated how many hours of your life you spend looking at the TV? What percentage of your free time? It's more logical to arrange your space to fit your TV, not the other way around.

This makes sense and I don't disagree that bigger is better, but I just think it would look out of place in my 500 sq.ft. apartment. It would take up an entire wall by itself and command the whole room. You're right that much of my free time revolves around TV screens, but I don't need to exacerbate that any more by making it the centerfold of my apartment!

As someone who really didn't have enough money for the P series (even though man I wanted it), I picked up a 55 in S405 during Black Friday last year.

I can honestly tell you that it's an incredible TV. Maybe it's because it's my first 4K, but the built in Roku works wonders and the 4K is pretty damn crisp. The HDR is definitely too dark, but for most games it's still better than not having HDR at all. A friend of mine picked up the X900E a few months ago and I go over regularly. I'll be honest, his TV looks amazing, but it doesn't (imo) look another 1000 dollar amazing.

I actually ended up returning the 55 inch and going for a 65 inch instead. With 4K tvs, the bigger the better.

Thanks for this perspective. This would be my first 4k set too so I'm sure even budget sets will be very impressive. I'll probably just grab the S series and save the $100 over the 5.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes sense and I don't disagree that bigger is better, but I just think it would look out of place in my 500 sq.ft. apartment. It would take up an entire wall by itself and command the whole room. You're right that much of my free time revolves around TV screens, but I don't need to exacerbate that any more by making it the centerfold of my apartment!

Why shouldn't it be the centerfold? It's the most used device in the place. Nearly all free time will be spent looking at it. What else should be the focal point of an apartment, if not the TV?

The idea that TV's are an accessory that needs to fit in to an established living room is pretty outdated. The living room only exists to use the TV now.

In fairness, I feel the same way about fireplaces. Nobody is using fireplaces to stay warm in the year of our lord two thousand and eighteen. New homes don't even have real fireplaces that can burn wood, just a light switch that turns on the gas fire. WTF is the point? The need people feel for fireplaces is outdated. They serve no purpose anymore.

TV's on the other hand.... ;-)

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Such a shame this model is not released outside of the US. Really disruptive pricing [for a legit good panel and HDR peformance].

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmmmm Sooo i see a lot of people talk about the 55 or 65... Anyone have any experience with the 75? 1600 isn't too bad at all for that size. Unless the 75 is worse than the other 2 of course

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Why shouldn't it be the centerfold? It's the most used device in the place. Nearly all free time will be spent looking at it. What else should be the focal point of an apartment, if not the TV?

The idea that TV's are an accessory that needs to fit in to an established living room is pretty outdated. The living room only exists to use the TV now.

In fairness, I feel the same way about fireplaces. Nobody is using fireplaces to stay warm in the year of our lord two thousand and eighteen. New homes don't even have real fireplaces that can burn wood, just a light switch that turns on the gas fire. WTF is the point? The need people feel for fireplaces is outdated. They serve no purpose anymore.

TV's on the other hand.... ;-)

This post makes me sad. My home has one of those useless "fireplaces" that offer zero warmth in the winter lol

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't going to be at walmart by chance? I have gift cards there and would love to use them on this TV lol.

Wheelatron

Oct 28, 2017
I pulled the trigger on the 65" from amazon - arrives saturday! 55" OOS already.

Supposedly the 55" will be available on Bestbuy later.