• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh, and PSA for new 4K owners — change your Netflix plan to the more expansive one, and then watch Altered Carbon in Dolby Vision.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pulled the trigger and got the 65inch from BB. These things are already going out of stock. Just a little confused cause the BB version is supposed to be 50 bucks cheaper and it wasnt when i paid. will I get a credit?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is Best Buy not going to carry the 55" 6 series? I rather not buy from Amazon, but if I have to, I will.

Oct 30, 2017
Well this was the day I was waiting for. Ordered the 55" from Amazon, should be here May 8th. I missed the first set of TVs this morning but there was a restock around 11:25AM EST Time that I snagged one from. to move on from an old 1080p 32" Vizio to 55" 4K HDR, my PS4 Pro can finally stretch its legs.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I read somewhere that these prices are "introductory prices" and might increase later? I'm definitely interested in grabbing a set but I'm moving in the summer and don't want to buy a TV until I'm fully settled, probably around August. Any risk that prices increase between now and then?

Sails

Oct 27, 2017
I read somewhere that these prices are "introductory prices" and might increase later? I'm definitely interested in grabbing a set but I'm moving in the summer and don't want to buy a TV until I'm fully settled, probably around August. Any risk that prices increase between now and then?
I'm also seeing a few reports of the introductory pre-order price online, so it probably comes directly from their press release.

Edit: https://www.tclusa.com/about-us/press-releases/tcl-6-series-availability

It's in their press release above.

The TCL 6-Series is available now, at a special pre-order introductory price of $649 for the 55" (55R617) and $999 for the 65" (65R617) screen sizes at your favorite retailer.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm also seeing a few reports of the introductory pre-order price online, so it probably comes directly from their press release.

Edit: https://www.tclusa.com/about-us/press-releases/tcl-6-series-availability

It's in their press release above.

I think they did this last year on the Amazon p607 sku where it was available at $599.99 at launch but went up to $649 afterwards I think. BB pricing remained $599 though (albeit with the cheaper remote).

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 2018 6-Series is the successor to last year's 55″ P-Series TV, but significantly improved the looks and performance. For 2018, TCL has wrapped the technology needed to achieve exceptional pressure quality in a package that features an attractive aluminum bezel, and upped the FALD zone count from 72 to 96, without raising the price of 55″ model.

And this year, the company is offering a 65 inch option with 120-zone FALD for $999, which is a rather disruptive price for TV of this capability. Just yesterday, a 65″ 6-Series review unit arrived at my doorstep. Unsurprisingly, I wasted no time getting it unpacked and sticking a meter on the screen.

An iPQ engine is really designed to deliver accurate color out of the box without any need for calibration or any other settings adjustment by the customer. And there's two elements that TCL is putting together to drive the iPQ engine technology: One, TCL one of three global TV brands that are vertically integrated; we produce the panel, we produce the backlight and we produce the whole module assembly.

"So, we understand the performance of every component that's going into each TV since we've measured that earlier in the production process. Then, we have algorithm running on the TV, knowing the performance of those components. Therefore, we're able to take out any slight variations that may contribute to color error in that tTV, without needing to have the customer do a calibration or adjust some other settings. You're going to see out of the box, we're trying to get as accurate color within the DCI/P3 color space accurate as possible, right out of the box."

http://www.avsforum.com/first-look-tcl-65-6-series-4k-hdr-roku-tv-dolby-vision/

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
I pulled the trigger on the 65" from amazon - arrives saturday! 55" OOS already.

Supposedly the 55" will be available on Bestbuy later.

Just wondering where you saw 55" available later?

Edit:

Nvm, looks like 55 inch will still be available at Best buy, just getting listed later in afternoon.

Sweet I can wait till it gets stocked in store was worried for a bit 55 was Amazon exclusive.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Damn I'm really tempted to get the 65". I need to know about peak brightness and how it handles glare though since I'm wanting to put it in a sunroom. You guys seen anything yet in this regard?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So are these new TVs technically better than my Samsung KS9000? I still really like my TV, but I'm constantly reminded of it's subpar local dimming performance (blooming) when displaying certain dark scenes

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm good with my p605 until the next round of TVs come out with all them new fancy HDMI 2.1 features at a reasonable price. Then I'll upgrade to 65" too.

Are most high end TVs this year including 2.1?

Either way, really nice to see Vizio and TCL putting out some amazing budget sets. TV value has improved so damn much over the years lol

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Are most high end TVs this year including 2.1?

No TV releasing right now has 2.1. There are features of HDMI 2.1 that can be used with 2.0B like VRR or Auto Low Latency Mode that manufacturers like Samsung are already adding.

2.1 really is for 4k120 and up, including 8k60. It's going to be a slow roll out because the standard really is future facing rather than for the here and now.

RavenSan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Guys, YMMV but I just picked up a 55" at Costco for $429 pre tax. Guessing they're unloading before the new model. If you're looking to save some money, can't really be beat.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
Any talk of a European roadmap for TCL yet? I know they've been making some movement there and there's plans. I just haven't heard any specifics yet.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it. Ordered the 55 in 6 series from best buy to compare it to my 900e I just bought. Says I can pick it up Next Wednesday.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, YMMV but I just picked up a 55" at Costco for $429 pre tax. Guessing they're unloading before the new model. If you're looking to save some money, can't really be beat.
Costco doesn't sell the p series and sounds like you paid full price for the s series lol. The S series has been as low as $315.

Fallen92

Oct 26, 2017
California
Just ordered the 55" 6 series from Best Buy, said it was gonna be delivered to me tomorrow which is surprising. I guess they have some in stock already since it's coming tomorrow. My local store had in store pickup for this Sunday. (I live in LA)

Last edited:

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered the 55" 6 series from Best Buy, said it was gonna be delivered to me tomorrow which is surprising. I guess they have some in stock already since it's coming tomorrow. My local store had in store pickup for this Sunday. (I live in LA)
Mine originally said that, but then changed to may 9th

RavenSan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Just so you know, that's not a particularly good TV or even a great discount on it. Might be worth returning if you were hoping for the P6 series.

Hm -- just checked the rtings.com review of it. it scored a 7.1 (total) whereas the P scored 7.7

Doesn't seem like there too much difference. And even still, $429 for a 55" 4k HDR w/ DolbyVision still seems like a good deal.

But I could be completely talking out of my ass. I'm new to this kinda stuff, so please feel free to correct me where I may be wrong.