• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
s0GHZia.png

Team Fortress 2 is a class based first person shooter made by Valve. It was originally released as the multiplayer component as part of the Orange Box but Valve continued to update the game on PC, releasing dozens of major content updates with new maps, game modes, weapons/class re-balances, new features and most importantly HATS! The game went Free 2 Play in 2011 and is still typically in the top 5 most played games on Steam.

TF2 has a very fair F2P system. All maps and game modes can be played by anyone for free. You get the default set of weapons that comes with every class and can get the rest through unlocking achievements, getting them through free weapon drops, crafting them, trading them or completing contracts (you can also buy them from the in game store but don't do that). If you want to make your characters beautiful with weapon skins, hats or other cosmetics you typically have to pay money or trade for them with another player.

Valve and the TF2 team also continue to expand the lore of the Team Fortress world by making videos and comics.

Classes

85px-Class_scoutred.png

Scout
The glass cannon. Scouts are extremely dangerous in the right hands, but very squishy.
Advantages - Fastest movement speed, double jump, very powerful primary, excels in 1v1 combat
Drawbacks - Low health, can't deal with crowds very well
[Hard] Counter - Engineer Sentry Guns

85px-Class_soldierred.png

Soldier
The man's man, man! Soldiers are the jacks of all trades.
Advantages - Second highest health, powerful primary, high mobility via rocket jumps
Drawbacks - Slow walk speed
[Soft] Counter - Pyro airblasts

85px-Class_pyrored.png

Pyro
The mysterious comedy sidekick. Pyros are close-range fighters that excel at ambushes and herding enemies.
Advantages - Highly versatile primary that can ignite enemies and reflected projectiles back at would-be attackers. Can extinguish allies with an airblast. Great for spy-checking.
Drawbacks - Poor at mid and long range combat
[Soft] Counters - Heavies, Well-placed Engineer Sentry Guns

85px-Class_demored.png

Demoman
KABOOM! The guy you'll learn to hate.
Advantages - Demoman excels at dealing explosive damage at mid-to-long range. He also has a vast array of power melee weapons at his disposal. If there's something that needs doing, from destroying a sentry nest, to killing large numbers of enemies, a good demoman can probably get it done.
Drawbacks - Poor at close-ish range. Since they have no hit scan weapons, demomen need to lead their targets and account for latency when doing so.
[Hard] Counter - Scout
Special Note: Includes weapons that makes him into the melee focused Demoknight class.

85px-Class_heavyred.png

Heavy
The ugly one! Heavies are the tanks of the team.
Advantages - Highest Health, Most powerful primary weapons
Drawbacks - Slow movement speed, Primary weapon needs to be revved before it can fire
[Hard] Counters - Sniper Headshots, Spy Backstabs

85px-Class_engired.png

Engineer
The smart one. Engineer focuses of area denial for enemies and creating a forward base (or defensive line) for allies.
Advantages - No need to aim, sentry guns will do all the work for you! Build tools such as teleporters and dispensers to aid your teammates.
Drawbacks - Low health. Unappreciative, unhelpful teammates
[Hard] Counters - Demoman, Spy Sapper
Special Note: Has the Gunslinger, a weapon that gives him extra HP and replaces the normal sentries with fast building mini-sentries, allowing for a more aggressive playstyle subclass

85px-Class_medicred.png

Medic
Teamwork, personified. The medic does little killing himself, but greatly increases the effectiveness of teammates.
Advantages - Overheal: increase a patient's max health by 50% temporarily. Ubercharge: After building a charge, the Medic grants himself and his patient invulnerability for 8 seconds. The medic also has the second fastest movement speed.
Drawbacks - Medics are a bright white target to anyone who spots them. A smart enemy will always aim for the other team's medics. Medics themselves are also not very good at direct combat.
[Hard] Counter - Sniper headshots

85px-Class_sniperred.png

Sniper
The point-and-clicker. Snipers generally hang back and pick enemies off from a distance. Direct combat is something they try to avoid when possible.
Advantages - The only long-range class in the game. Sniper headshots can kill any class in a single shot.
Drawbacks - Low-health. Poor at mid-to-close range combat. Complaints from teammates that you have too many snipers (and spies).
[Hard] Counter - Spy Backstab, Enemy Snipers
Special Note: Has the huntsman, a bow and arrow that allows for closer range subclass

85px-Class_spyred.png

Spy
The sneaky one. Spies have an array for tricks to fool their enemies and catch them off-guard.
Advantages - The spy can disguise as other classes, both enemy and friendly. He can also use his watch to turn completely invisible for a short time. Using his knife, a successful backstab will instantly kill any enemy.
Drawbacks - Low-health. Relatively weak in direct combat. Other players can't see your stylish hats when you're disguised or cloaked.
[Hard] Counter - Pyros
[Soft] Counter - Scouts

What's going on with TF2 right now?​
Currently no major events are happening in TF2 since Jungle Inferno ended Feb 11. If you bought a Jungle Inferno pass you'll be able to continue working on contracts and getting rewards.

What's next for TF2?
Valve shipped a competitive focused update in March. Now all we know to expect is a Heavy focused update, with new weapons and a class re-balance, since he lost the Meet Your Match war and Pyro already got his update.

Why do so many people still love TF2 after all these years?
Valve did an amazing job when designing this game and the community is still dedicated and active. This video can do a better job of explaining it than I can:

Special thanks to Yeef who wrote up the class descriptions.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yesss!
As you may know me, big TF2 but fell off ot it.
Jungle update seems cool and I have actually played and had fun a few days ago :)
It won't climb to number one as my go-to multiplayer game again, but surely I am excited for it again.

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Woo TF2 thread!

Grabbed a campaign ticket and updated my HUD for the update but still haven't had the chance to play yet...

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Between Destiny 2 PC, Mario, and Dota 2 about to get a big update... I'm busy. BAD TIMING.

Well, and nobody plays TF2 anymore!!! Icy Yeef bring back the... Era server!

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Between Destiny 2 PC, Mario, and Dota 2 about to get a big update... I'm busy. BAD TIMING.

I know your pain, I got Mario coming out and haven't finished the new South Park game.

For the most part community servers playing vanilla TF2 are completely dead. The new party system they added usually works pretty well in my experience, though sometimes I've had issues joining a friend's game in progress when there are server slots available. It doesn't let you join on the opposite team yet but says that feature is coming soon so I'm guessing that will speed up the party joining experience.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know community servers are dead. Which is why I don't play TF2 as much as I otherwise would. Knowing I could hop on the... Era server back in the day and be playing with the same crowd every night was incredible.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Can you play contracts on community servers? I did not have much problems with matchmaking but I am also new to it and it might be due to the update.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I think you can but only if they're verified, or whatever? Same requirement that makes 'em show up in matchmaking.

I'm actually not sure if that's even a thing anymore. I know it was once upon a time.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I've been back into TF2 a bit these past few months. I'm still playing Pyro mainly because I love launching people off of ledges. I don't know if I'll ever truly give-up TF2.

Also - I have dozens of crates from years ago that I will never open because I don't want to pay for keys. Is there any use for them at all?

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
And for anyone who didn't notice, they pushed out the Halloween event last night which has even MORE contract stuff to work through. A year without an update and they push two within a week of each other. Cmon, Valve.

Digging deep with that Icy name drop. Didn't think anyone still remembered him.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
overwatch sux eheh

There are supposed to be changes coming, but who knows when.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Same.

I read that there are competitive changes coming soon?

Yes in a video interview back in February TF2 dev Dave Riller said this update would include improvements to comp mode, including placement matches and Elo rankings. That obviously didn't come with this update. Geel, the owner of scrap.tf asked TF2 dev Jill about it and he basically said the changes weren't ready yet.
Hopefully the changes will be ready by Christmas.

deft

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 made me especially aware of how incredible TF2's voice commands are. That game is just so lacking in terms of communication.

I'm also pretty darn happy about this update, though I'm yet to unlock any of the items as I'm waiting for the pyrofest to die down a bit. That and Mario being so good

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 made me especially aware of how incredible TF2's voice commands are. That game is just so lacking in terms of communication.

I'm also pretty darn happy about this update, though I'm yet to unlock any of the items as I'm waiting for the pyrofest to die down a bit. That and Mario being so good

The first weekend was pretty bad, at most you typically had 1 or 2 non pyros on a team.
Recent games can be much better, some I get into have a normal amount of Pyros (1-3) per team while others have 5-6 per team. I would give it another week or two and I imagine most semi-regular players will have the pyro weapons all unlocked.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
So how is everyone doing on their contracts?

I'm doing okay, but I still haven't unlocked the Hot Hand yet because I haven't gotten all the bonus objectives yet for the pyroland contracts.

One very frustrating thing is that it feels like the bonus objectives are really designed for you to work together with one or more friends but the structure of the campaign makes that difficult unless you always play with the same group of friends. There's no reason I should have to follow the branches of the contract system for stuff like the map contracts, just let me work on the same contract as my friend.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I did the first Pyro contract last night. I haven't played the game since the weekend that matchmaking first hit; it's definitely a lot smoother now. Still has the Valve server problem of people being terrible and not playing the objective, but that doesn't both me too much, since I have a meter to increase.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought the contract yet but it's pretty unlikely I'll have time to play so I should probably save the money.

Howdy everyone! Twig is a name I haven't seen in a long time.

Now we just need to somehow smuggle Javaman and n0b onboard.

Speaking of Pangloss, he hasn't played a game since June and I hope he's ok.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I take it a bunch of the TF2 Era squad has bounced off Overwatch? I've been trying to get into it but my sessions are more consistently frustrating than fun, just not much nuance with the characters and too much safety padding design. Haven't played TF2 since sometime last year but took the opportunity to grab the pass and get my feet shooting on. I've missed rocket jumping so much.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Hello Blizzard. New forum, clean slate!

I am not a fan of Overwatch. When I play it I just miss things like rocket and sticky jumping, and of course the spy. I also just find Overwatch overly busy, aesthetically speaking?

Which isn't really a fair complaint when compared to TF2 what with all the absurd cosmetics these days. D:

Also n0b's busy trying to be a chef or something and never plays video games anymore. ):

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
That's an engineer hat tho! Where's the M!

Also Waluigi hat while we're at it.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
"Fire's for cooking s'mores son, get a real gun."

Also, shoutouts to donhonk for Sharp Chest Pain, I'm a fan of more low key cosmetics and this one rounds out my Soldier loadout nicely.

Last edited:

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Thought I was going crazy. Just tried using the Dragon's fury and I swear, with my cursor right on my targets it seemed to just go through them. I thought it might be an issue with my interp settings or something, but you can see the same thing happening in this video at 23 seconds and again at 1:14. I'm not sure what's causing it though; maybe the projectile spawns a bit further out than minimum distance. I'd have to do testing, but I don't really care enough to do so.

Oct 25, 2017
Thought I was going crazy. Just tried using the Dragon's fury and I swear, with my cursor right on my targets it seemed to just go through them. I thought it might be an issue with my interp settings or something, but you can see the same thing happening in this video at 23 seconds and again at 1:14. I'm not sure what's causing it though; maybe the projectile spawns a bit further out than minimum distance. I'd have to do testing, but I don't really care enough to do so.

I think there's an issue with attacking on an incline with this flamethrower. One time I was inside the spiral staircase on pl_frieght at the end of a map and me and another Dragon Fury Pyro were standing on different levels shooting each other repeatedly and neither of us were hitting. I've had another instance where I was on the ramp at the end of Badwater shooting at enemies and having it not register either.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes! A TF2 thread.

Not a fan of the new contracts honestly... I see most people trying to farm them instead of doing them the 'correct' way. Would have been better if most contracts were just: 'get certain points on this map'.
What class does everyone here main? Mine is Soldier/Medic.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes! A TF2 thread.

Not a fan of the new contracts honestly... I see most people trying to farm them instead of doing them the 'correct' way. Would have been better if most contracts were just: 'get certain points on this map'.
What class does everyone here main? Mine is Soldier/Medic.

I main Soldier and Demoman, but play a lot of Engineer and Medic as well. I'll play any class but I'm much better at hitting projectiles than hitscan weapons.

Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn I saw patch notes in the last couple of days that mentioned they fixed a bug where the flamethrower wasn't damaging enemies directly in front of the pyro.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn I saw patch notes in the last couple of days that mentioned they fixed a bug where the flamethrower wasn't damaging enemies directly in front of the pyro.

Basically what happened was that the flamethrower was firing from it's real position in game, so if you were so close to the Pyro you were clipping past the end of the flamethrower you weren't getting hit:

Oct 25, 2017
From today's patch notes: "Fixed a bug related to the Dragon's Fury projectiles not hitting enemies"

Full news:
An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
  • Fixed a client crash related to weapons with effect meters
  • Fixed a bug with the main menu sometimes displaying two character images at the same time
  • Fixed the recharge rate for the Fishcake
  • Fixed being able to buy airblast upgrades for the Phlogistinator in Mann vs. Machine mode
  • Fixed flamethrowers not damaging buildings at close distance
  • Fixed a bug related to the Dragon's Fury projectiles not hitting enemies
  • Changed The Gunslinger contract objective from "Get a kill with a sentry" to "Get a kill with a mini-sentry"
  • Reduced the number of times "Get 5 kills with The Back Scatter in a single life" needs to be scored to 3
  • Updated pl_badwater to improve hit detection around some of the staircases

Notes missed from the previous update:
  • Fixed the new airblast not honoring airblast vulnerability modifiers on Mann vs. Machine bots
  • Fixed the new airblast not benefiting from the airblast force upgrade in Mann vs. Machine
  • Fixed The Mantreads not properly granting airblast resistance

Oct 25, 2017
Good news, everyone!
  • Fixed an issue with how Flamethrowers were determining range after recent fixes to close-range hit detection
  • Updated the Taunt Unusualifier to draw from a pool of previous years' Halloween Unusual effects during the Scream Fortress IX event
  • Updated War Paints purchased from the Mercenary Park Gift Shop so they use all wear levels
So this time maybe the flamethrower is really for real SUPER fixed.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Good news, everyone!

So this time maybe the flamethrower is really for real SUPER fixed.
Yeah apparently when they pulled back the origin point of the flames they forgot to extend the range so it shortened the range.

Don't worry the flamethrowerer is fixed
until tomorrow's patch has another fix