• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Bad Guy

Oct 25, 2017
How do I go about complete contracts which are tied to specific maps? I can not seem to find them in the server browser when i search for them. Also joining auto-matching is means playing random maps.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
How do I go about complete contracts which are tied to specific maps? I can not seem to find them in the server browser when i search for them. Also joining auto-matching is means playing random maps.

You have to do contracts on Valve servers.
When you go to causal matchmaking you can choose the maps you want to play on, under each mode there's a little arrow you can click on that brings down a list of the maps. Just uncheck all the maps but the ones you have contracts for.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. Didn't even notice that. Thanks!

You can also customize your map list and then save it so you always get the maps you want in matchmaking. There's two little folder icons above the casual matchmaking screen, one of them saves your maps and the other one loads it (for when you change it while in game, the game will automatically load your saved list when you first open the game).

Oct 27, 2017
So about that. Once the match ends and a different maps gets voted I'm totally screwed right. I lose contract progress if I were to quit..hmm.

alienups

Oct 31, 2017
A contract made me realize that after a 1000 hours on the class i actually straight up dont have a clue on how to use shotgun as a soldier. It feels so unnatural

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played TF2 for a few years but it's still one of my favorite multiplayer games of all time. I got into right before it went F2P. I was unemployed after college and feeling pretty down. So I sunk a lot of time into TF2 and it really helped keep my mind off of things. I loved the flow of games. The maps. The classes. The community was pretty chill too. It was also the only mulitplayer game that I got several of my friends to play because it was free. And they got hooked as well. We had some good nights just relaxing, chatting, while playing casual games on 24/7 Dustbowl and Gold Rush severs.

hpkomic

Oct 30, 2017
California
Ended up finishing all my pyro contracts and the heavy banana contract on a server that gradually just died until it was me and one dude just trading contract help back and forth for an hour.

That was pretty cool.

bananabread

Oct 28, 2017
I'm loving the balance changes, pubTF2 feels closer to the glory days (before the deadringer/airblast plague that lasted a good 7-8 years) than it has in a long time.

Pyros feel dangerous in the right circumstances and I still see people doing well as Spy if they're good at it, but there's a distinct lack of poofstun or whack-a-mole DR spies running around that just makes the game feel more flowing and less frustrating.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving the balance changes, pubTF2 feels closer to the glory days (before the deadringer/airblast plague that lasted a good 7-8 years) than it has in a long time.

Pyros feel dangerous in the right circumstances and I still see people doing well as Spy if they're good at it, but there's a distinct lack of poofstun or whack-a-mole DR spies running around that just makes the game feel more flowing and less frustrating.

Yeah I've been pretty happy with the TF2 balancing since Gun Mettle. There seems to have been a complete change in their balancing philosophy starting with that update. The balance of all weapons certainly isn't perfect (and probably never will be) but the game is in a lot better spot right now than it was pre Gun Mettle.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
First order of business: Removoe Egypt from rotation.

I remember the first time I ever played Egypt I thought "I hope I never play on this map again". A week or two later it was announced as an official map as part of the Scout update.

I gotta give it to Heyo though, even though I don't like Egypt or Junction (Harvest is okay for some koth fun) Borneo is a top tier payload map.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Borneo and Harvest are pretty fun. Borneo last needs work though, Heyo clearly has some love for spam tubes.

I used to like Egypt a lot back when I could switch to defense, lol. Map is a grind on offense.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Borneo and Harvest are pretty fun. Borneo last needs work though, Heyo clearly has some love for spam tubes.

I used to like Egypt a lot back when I could switch to defense, lol. Map is a grind on offense.

Ii think last points on Payload are probably really hard to do right, but yeah I do agree that Boreno's last is the weakest part of the map.
Of course on most Valve servers there's probably at least 4 engineers on defense at all times, just making it worst since a single uber can't usually take out all the sentry guns.

I think Valve pubs would probably benefit from class limits (maybe 2 each for engineer, spy and sniper and 3 each for the rest) but they probably will never do it because it would really piss off reddit.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Steven B. Winwood: This diabolical free-loader is one of Javaman's mid-level henchmen. He won't rest until he sees the world burn.

Men: We have 24 hours to bring him down!

[EDIT] Also, I've been playing Mario Odyssey and I can't go into the hat stores without thinking or TF2.

DFf-kBsUQAEBU7q.jpg

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely impressive how much Odyssey steals from TF2. Shameless, Nintendo.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
A contract made me realize that after a 1000 hours on the class i actually straight up dont have a clue on how to use shotgun as a soldier. It feels so unnatural

The shotgun contract actually lets you play as engineer as well, and it counts any kills you get with a sentry gun as long as you have a shotgun equipped.
Edit: the bonus objectives only seem to count if you shoot them with a shotgun as well as the sentry though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
t
Rest assured, NOW the flamethrowers are definitely probably fixed.
Bad news I saw this video the other day:

Basically if the game only checks to see if an enemy gets hit by one of the flamethrower invisible particles, not how many of them when calculating damage so if you have multiple enemies in front of you the best tactic is to spaz out your mouse and as long as a single flame thrower particle hits an enemy it will do the same full damage that you would do to a single enemy if you focused down on them and that enemy got hit by multiple flamethrower particles.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Former TF2 Youtuber Lazy Purple just put out an excellent video called TF2 is a Timeless Masterpiece.

It goes surprisingly in depth into the movement and weapon design of the game, as well as the general silliness you can find in the game and community.

Edit:
Also Valve built a new Pyroland room in their new office:
IMG_20171118_133357.jpg

Last edited:

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Former TF2 Youtuber Lazy Purple just put out an excellent video called TF2 is a Timeless Masterpiece.

It goes surprisingly in dept into the movement and weapon design of the game, as well as the general silliness you can find with the players.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing! Have never watched Lazy Purple's stuff before, but the vid is both insightful and funny while touching on most of the reasons that I love this game. And crazy nice production values.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Is the latest contract still going and do I have time to finish everything if I start now? I've kinda finally exhausted everything that came out recently to the degree that I think I wanna do that contract. But I'm pretty sure I missed out!

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Is the latest contract still going and do I have time to finish everything if I start now? I've kinda finally exhausted everything that came out recently to the degree that I think I wanna do that contract. But I'm pretty sure I missed out!
It goes on until Feb. 11, so there's plenty of time.

Cloud

Oct 29, 2017
Nibelheim

It goes surprisingly in depth into the movement and weapon design of the game, as well as the general silliness you can find in the game and community.

Edit:
Also Valve built a new Pyroland room in their new office:
IMG_20171118_133357.jpg

That video is simply beautiful.
Insane the game is already 10yo.

Thanks for posting it.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I've picked up the game again and wow, somehow the optimization is even worse than from earlier this year. There's no good reason to average like 30-50FPS on an i7-7700 and a 1080ti on lowest settings.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I've picked up the game again and wow, somehow the optimization is even worse than from earlier this year. There's no good reason to average like 30-50FPS on an i7-7700 and a 1080ti on lowest settings.

Jill; one of the TF2 devs; actually runs his own community TF2 servers and made some comments about TF2's performance a couple of months ago:
1mf5IOp.png

4Sjpmep.png

So yeah TF2 pushes TF2 to it's limits and based on those comments I can't imagine any optimization getting much better.

Source 1 was created at a different time, when more work was put on the CPUs since they were more powerful than GPUs. Now we have much more powerful GPUs and multi-core CPUs. Source 2 is probably the only thing that can really significantly help TF2 performance at this point. The TF2 team has been pretty non committal about porting TF2 to Source 2 but we have seen Gabe Newell say stuff like "Aside from moving Dota 2 to the engine recently, we are are using it as the foundation of some unannounced products. We would like to have everyone working on games here at Valve to eventually be using the same engine" and a CSGO dev saying that Source 2 is the future of CSGO and every Valve product that isn't already Source 2.
Who knows when it will happen though if it actually does happen. It will probably be a long and painful process.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty frustrating how poorly optimized it is. I have a pretty good setup and have to run it in potato mode for a decent framerate.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
*whispers into the void* "port it to source twoooooooooooooooooooooo"

I think I'm generally in the minority with this, but I'd actually like Valve to just straight up make Team Fortress 3. Start over, with all this loadout stuff in there from the start. Preferably making only cosmetics cost money. Balance it as such. Build back up to where we are now, if you must, but put that design sense into the core of the game instead of building on top of something much simpler.

I like TF2 as it is now, but I'd like to see a more refined, polished version.

I say this a lot, though, and it will never happen.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
*whispers into the void* "port it to source twoooooooooooooooooooooo"

I think I'm generally in the minority with this, but I'd actually like Valve to just straight up make Team Fortress 3. Start over, with all this loadout stuff in there from the start. Preferably making only cosmetics cost money. Balance it as such. Build back up to where we are now, if you must, but put that design sense into the core of the game instead of building on top of something much simpler.

I like TF2 as it is now, but I'd like to see a more refined, polished version.

I say this a lot, though, and it will never happen.

TF2 only has around 6 programmers and 16 total people that work on it, unless a bunch of people at Valve get a burning desire to make TF3 it isn't happening anytime soon.

I do agree they need to change up the weapon system. There's too many weapons in the game for a new, free player to easily get what they want and it probably makes the game feel like a pay to win game even though it's not. Ideally I would love to see Valve just buy up the rights to all the weapon models they don't own, then get rid of random weapon drops and make it so you unlock all non stock weapons by doing contracts similar to the Pyroland contracts for the new pyro weapons. When you finish a contract for that weapon (which helps you to learn how to use it) you get a version of the weapon that can't be deleted or use up a backpack slot like stock weapons.
Also ideally they would introduce this with a new tutorial which had tutorials for all 9 classes and gives you a general contract for a class, which unlocks rewards like un-tradable cosmetics/weapon skins/war paints to try and get players interested in cosmetics, along with a goodie bag of free stuff similar to the Christmas stocking stuffer with stuff like a backpack expanded, a name tag, a description tag and a paint or two (and maybe a graduation hat cosmetic that could become the new gibus) TF2 isn't the easiest game to get into and a comprehensive tutorial could help.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm aware of the team size. I once visited Valve and the Dota pit size vs the TF2 pit size was laughable.

Doesn't change what I want, though. ):

I honestly don't think a tutorial would help much, though. It could help a little, but... Everyone I talk to who doesn't like TF2 anymore complains about not knowing about the weapons the enemy uses. Tutorials take time, and if you're getting wrecked by you don't even know what the fuck, you're not even going to finish the tutorial.

New players have it even worse!

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
I definitely would love to see a TF3. Will never happen though.

Regarding the above, I think it'd be fine if there were a fairly in-depth tutorial covering the basic classes and some of the more drastic sub-classes (like Demoknight). I don't think you really need a tutorial to explain the difference between the stock rocket launcher and the direct hit.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm aware of the team size. I once visited Valve and the Dota pit size vs the TF2 pit size was laughable.

Doesn't change what I want, though. ):

I honestly don't think a tutorial would help much, though. It could help a little, but... Everyone I talk to who doesn't like TF2 anymore complains about not knowing about the weapons the enemy uses. Tutorials take time, and if you're getting wrecked by you don't even know what the fuck, you're not even going to finish the tutorial.

New players have it even worse!

I think a tutorial could help. TF2 has a lot of mechanics that are different from most other FPSs. It's great Spy and Engie have tutorials but stuff like Ubers, rocket/sticky jumping, air blasting/extinguishing are something that may not be easy for new players to get right away. Teach them the basics of each class and give them a contract to reinforce what you taught. Also I would have the tutorials feature at least 2 supporting characters (Miss Pauline, the Administrator and Saxton Hale) with funny dialog to keep people engaged with it. I would also like to see Valve work with the creator of tr_walkway to make a final version that Valve makes official.

Weapon identification can be an issue but honesty I don't think it's a huge one since most weapons aren't going to significant change the way you fight a class. The ones that do are usually pretty easy to identity. I'm not sure how you could really do better with weapon identification in a game like this. If you're talking about new players not knowing what weapons do yeah that's an issue, a contract system like Undescribed would work but it would take a long time for people to unlock all of them.

Also any interesting stories or pictures from your Valve trip?

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely would love to see a TF3. Will never happen though.

Regarding the above, I think it'd be fine if there were a fairly in-depth tutorial covering the basic classes and some of the more drastic sub-classes (like Demoknight). I don't think you really need a tutorial to explain the difference between the stock rocket launcher and the direct hit.

I would like to see Valve update the descriptions of weapons to give damage figures (long range, medium range and short range) for all weapons so people don't have to go to the wiki to see those. Weapons that modify stock stats could still show the % difference from stock but show the damage too.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think weapon identification is a huge hurdle at all, but people think it is, and convincing them otherwise is a Herculean task. I'm not sure it's possible. I'd love to be proven wrong!

I also don't think tutorials would hurt, but...

And no, nothing interesting to speak of about the visit, hah, it was a... couple? years ago, went in to demo the Vive before it was released. It was pretty mindblowing at the time! First time I'd tried VR at all.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I would like to see Valve update the descriptions of weapons to give damage figures (long range, medium range and short range) for all weapons so people don't have to go to the wiki to see those. Weapons that modify stock stats could still show the % difference from stock but show the damage too.
Dota has a nice feature where theres the basic description and base numbers and then you hold alt to see the really goofy obscure stuff and some modified specific numbers. It helps it stay clean and simple until you want a real in depth look.