• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I ran into hackers on Valve's servers some time ago. Just a Sniper oneshotting everyone, and kills cams always show him pointing up. Pretty much impossible to get out of spawn.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like Valve really stepped up their game with TF2 cheating with the patch last Thursday, my good friend Fluury compiled some info from hacking/cheating forums on Facepunch:
According to several cheater-forums and other sources of information, it seems like the TF Team/Valve has stepped up their game drastically as far as fighting cheating goes. Here is a quick run-down:

• The ban you get via the Report-ban is a 60 day ban. It includes Casual and Competitive.
  • Blatant cheats such as spinbot/aimbot etc. seems to get you booted off the server with a "Removed from Match by System" message.
  • Said booting also happens in batches (5 people at the same time if there are 5 cheaters)
  • You seemingly also get axed if you change your name rapidly and several times
  • Heavily speculated that this is possibly a form of Server-side Anti-Cheat//VACNET

Obviously there are certain groups that seemingly and possibly found a way to circumvent getting kicked specifically, but the bans still happen. Reporting cheaters has never been this important.
Bonus:
hjsiXNe.png

They also patched at least some of the exploits used by lagbots in that patch.
Nice to see the TF2 team/VAC team taking cheating in TF2 a little more seriously. If TF2 is using VACnet now like speculated that's really great.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anyone brave enough to attempt a burning unusual cosplay yet though that's some pretty great cosplay.

Hopefully we get a summer update this year and it's the Heavy update Valve talked about with Meet Your Match. Heavy really badly needs a rework to make him more exciting and interesting to play.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
A really great video on random crits by Uncle Dane. He even got the Scout voice actors to do some lines for him:

Now that they did the random crit survey I have hopes they'll finally remove them from the game.

Oct 25, 2017
NC
So, I'm thinking of returning to Team Fortress 2 when I acquire a better PC to run it because this will be my third time trying to enjoy the game as for the first two times I didn't have the proper hardware to truly get into it. But when I do, I need to know if there are any updates or changes that happened lately. I know Jungle Inferno happened and the competitive updates as well. But what about like weapon changes? Is the cow mangler still good as a weapon for Soldier? Is the Dragons Fury still a nightmare to deal with?

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I don't see too many DF users these days. Cow Mangler got nerfed down to 4 from 5 shots of ammo. I think the game is still super solid overall. I only play casual and I have both good and bad games. The core is still the same. All depends on how you play on the maps.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
TF2 optimization is absolute poop these days just to let you know. I've got an i7 7700 and 1080ti and it still drops to 40s.

deft

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've noticed it just sits around 15% CPU/GPU utilisation and chugs sub-60. Doesn't matter high or low settings.

I can't figure out why & have basically stopped playing because of it.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've noticed it just sits around 15% CPU/GPU utilisation and chugs sub-60. Doesn't matter high or low settings.

I can't figure out why & have basically stopped playing because of it.

It's because Source 1 is old and designed for stronger single core CPUs and weaker GPUs, not 4-8 core CPUs and beastly GPUs.
Only Valve can fix it, and based on comments from TF2 dev Jill about how heavily modified TF2`s source engine is I doubt it would be an easy fix.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
A decent port to Source 2 would probably help with a lot of the performance issues but I'm sure that wouldn't be easy.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
If they're gonna port to Source 2 I one hundred percent would rather they just make it a new game. There's soooo much shit going on in TF2 right now, and it could use a polish pass from the ground up.

deft

Oct 27, 2017
'Team Fortress Forever'

-It has the name for a game as a service
-There's the 4-ever lol we skipped 3 joke
-It's like a second boot into the corpse of Fortress Forever, ten years later

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
If they're gonna port to Source 2 I one hundred percent would rather they just make it a new game. There's soooo much shit going on in TF2 right now, and it could use a polish pass from the ground up.

They couldn't really do that unless they brought all cosmetics and weapons forward, a TF3 would likely massively cut down the TF2 player base (and item valuevalong withit) and there's lots of people who have spent tons of money on their backpacks. Dota2 and CSGO are in the same spot, you just can't make a sequel and gotta keep supporting the game due to the amount of money in the economy.

Of course Valve`s structure makes very long term support of games iffy at best.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Valve may not have put out a major update this summer but the people behind the potato MVM servers have you covered. Their new Canteen Crasher community event just started. It features lots of new MVM maps, MVM missions, new robots to fight, contracts, and cosmetic rewards. To do contracts you need to sign into their website through steam and select the contract you want to work on.

I played some of it while it was in beta and it's a lot of fun, it's a breath of fresh air from the existing MVM content.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Valve just shipped Scream Fortress X. It's live now through November 14th. Patch notes:

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Scream Fortress X has arrived!

• Featuring 5 new community maps: Cauldron, Gravestone, Monster Bash, Slasher, and Cursed Cove
  • Added the Violet Vermin Case
    • Contains 20 new community-created cosmetic items that make-up the Violet Vermin Collection
    • Has a chance to give one of 4 community-created Halloween-restricted items as a bonus item
    • Has a chance to give a taunt Unusualifier as a bonus item
  • Added the Scream Fortress X War Paint Case
    • Contains 10 new community-created War Paints that make-up the Scream Fortress X War Paint Collection
    • Has a chance to give a taunt Unusualifier as a bonus item
  • Added two new official taunts to the Mann Co. Store
    • Taunt: Panzer Pants
    • Taunt: The Scooty Scoot
  • Added 17 new community-created Unusual effects
    • 11 new effects for Unusual hats
    • 6 new effects for Unusual taunts
  • Added 5 new Contracts for the featured maps
    • Completing a Halloween Contract will give players a classic Halloween item and the chance for a Violet Vermin Case or a Scream Fortress X War Paint Case
  • All players who launch the game will receive a Soul Gargoyle if they don't already have one
    • Grants access to Merasmissions and Halloween item transmutations
    • Tracks Merasmissions completed and souls collected
  • All Halloween Contracts have been reset, allowing them to be completed again
  • Continue last year's event by collecting the souls of dead players for your Soul Gargoyle by killing enemies, doing map objectives, or collecting the Soul Gargoyles that spawn in the maps
  • All cases will grant Halloween 2018 Unusual effects instead of their normal Unusual effects during the event
  • Join Halloween matches by using the Special Events category in Casual
  • Scream Fortress X runs through November 14th, 2018
General
  • Fixed stickybombs doing damage through walls and doors in some situations
  • Fixed a problem with client-side prediction on Halloween maps that use the bumper car mini-game
  • Added Tip of the Hats 2018 community medals
  • Added ozfortress Season 23 tournament medals
  • Added TFNew 6v6 Newbie Cup tournament medals
  • Added RGB 3 LAN tournament medals
  • Added United Dodgeball League Season 1 tournament medals
  • Updated the localization files

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
So months later not much improved when it comes to cheating on matchmaking servers.

Just ran into another one who was obviously running cheats because of 100% headshots against everyone (including cloaked/DR'd spies). Reported them, and got a message next day saying they were all banned... from matchmaking. Why would you only ban from matchmaking for cheats? I checked the Steam profile of the cheater and they had no extra ban added.

Wish more people actually played vanilla on community servers. It seems that they're pretty much relegated to custom game modes or orange maps or 24/7 instaspawn Hightower. Back in TF2's prime I used to run fairly popular servers with mostly vanilla map rotations (excluding unpopular maps), no random crit and instaspawn humiliation. It felt like a good mix of fun and competitiveness, because we'd occasionally throw in some admin abuse.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
So months later not much improved when it comes to cheating on matchmaking servers.

Just ran into another one who was obviously running cheats because of 100% headshots against everyone (including cloaked/DR'd spies). Reported them, and got a message next day saying they were all banned... from matchmaking. Why would you only ban from matchmaking for cheats? I checked the Steam profile of the cheater and they had no extra ban added.

Wish more people actually played vanilla on community servers. It seems that they're pretty much relegated to custom game modes or orange maps or 24/7 instaspawn Hightower. Back in TF2's prime I used to run fairly popular servers with mostly vanilla map rotations (excluding unpopular maps), no random crit and instaspawn humiliation. It felt like a good mix of fun and competitiveness, because we'd occasionally throw in some admin abuse.

Earlier this year matchmaking bans massively increased (caused by reporting other players but not actually caught by VAC). Valve of course are very tight lipped and hasn't said why this happened but I'm guessing that players that get a lot of reports get reviewed by their VAC Net deep learning system that was first built for CSGO with people reported for cheating in TF2. Not sure why they don't do VAC bans, possibly because VAC Net can't be 100% positive about cheaters.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Remember when Smissmas updates had new weapons? Remember when they had crazy new melee only maps? Or even just regular maps? Or MVM maps? Or balance changes? Or festive weapons? Or contracts? Or warpaints?

Well too bad. You get a few cosmetics, a bunch of medals that no one will ever wear and an 11 year old bug fix. Merry Smissmass ya filthy animal.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Heavy was supposed to get a class update, just at some later time.

Remember Moonbase and Cactus Canyon.

Remember the comic.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the days when TF2 updates were more than annual.

Sad thing is the only "major" updates we got this year was Blue Moon, which wasn't really a full major update and was mostly just content they couldn't finish in time for Jungle Inferno and Scream Fortress, which was of course mostly community content.

But hey lets keep pouring those development resources into the trading card game that no one asked for that hit a player count of 7,400 today when a nothing update in TF2 brought in 120k players.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I asked for Artifact and I love it.

It's a new game, TF2 is a million years old. Calm down lol

At least you're not like me and wishing Left 4 Dead 2 still got updates.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I asked for Artifact and I love it.

It's a new game, TF2 is a million years old. Calm down lol

At least you're not like me and wishing Left 4 Dead 2 still got updates.

Valve can just be frustrating. Despite being 11 years old TF2 still has a large player base and its frustrating to see what's happening to it especially considering they're more than happy to keep selling us content for the game. The lack of Left 4 Dead (especially considering it was pretty heavily rumored L4D3 was pretty heavily in development on Source 2) is also disappointing.
I think the big problem is the size of the company. 350ish people just doesn't seem like it's enough for the number of things they're doing.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Valve can just be frustrating. Despite being 11 years old TF2 still has a large player base and its frustrating to see what's happening to it especially considering they're more than happy to keep selling us content for the game. The lack of Left 4 Dead (especially considering it was pretty heavily rumored L4D3 was pretty heavily in development on Source 2) is also disappointing.
I think the big problem is the size of the company. 350ish people just doesn't seem like it's enough for the number of things they're doing.
Believe me, I understand. I love TF2.

But Artifact is a good game. Don't shit on someone else's cereal just because your bowl is empty!

Personally, as I've said a thousand times before, I just want them to start over with a TF3. TF2's got so much baggage, I think a fresh start would do the game good.

Oct 25, 2017
Believe me, I understand. I love TF2.

But Artifact is a good game. Don't shit on someone else's cereal just because your bowl is empty!

Personally, as I've said a thousand times before, I just want them to start over with a TF3. TF2's got so much baggage, I think a fresh start would do the game good.
Artifact is a flawed game that has taken up Valve resources, uses an anti-consumer pricing model even after the update, and the audience had reacted accordingly. It's very understandable for someone to be frustrated that Valve choose to spend resources in this fashion.

Hopefully they improve the game more, update the economy, add TF2 cards into Artifact, add Artifact cards into TF2, and update the whole thing to Source N+1.