• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait

View: https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1574722031555416068?t=xv9aeqg7JNB9Vh8xA-52Ug&s=19

More details:
www.videogameschronicle.com

Interview: Team Ninja on Wo Long, Ninja Gaiden’s future and more | VGC

The Japanese studio discusses the ‘Masocore’ genre and balancing original and classic franchises…

If it actually happens then Soleil is the best studio for it imo, they're ex-Team NINJA devs and their latest games still play and feel like Ninja Gaiden (Samurai Jack & Valkyrie Elysium).
I did this comparison with Samurai Jack a while ago:

View: https://twitter.com/Mesharey/status/1346809515329679362?t=_pA7psTqdH2TMPBe7wkO6g&s=19
I want Team Ninja to help them too though!

Who do you want?
Pretty sure I'll see many Platinum Games suggestions.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
after what ive seen of soleil recent games i cant say they would be the rite choice.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nintendo could get a Bayo-style deal between TN and Platinum. I'd love to see it

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I still say a ninja gaiden 4 classic/NES would be a nice stop gap in the meantime.
And one that would be more easily outsourced at that.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
No, and I'm glad he left the DOA series and if I recall, isn't he a d-bag behind the scenes or am I being mistaken? Either way, I think Platinum would do a great job at a Ninja Gaiden game if given the opportunity or heck, I'd love to see if Capcom would do it justice.

well there's this:
www.ign.com

Itagaki Accused of Sexual Harassment - IGN

A 31-year old female employee of game publisher Tecmo, responsible for the popular Dead or Alive series, recently filed a sexual harassment suit against that series's creator, Tomonobu Itagaki. The suit claims 10 million yen in damages for acts of sexual harassment dating back to September 2003.

If I'm not mistaken he got tossed out on sexual harassment charges.

No, he left Tecmo for a different reason (unpaid bonuses). He got demoted for the harassment.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Platinum with lots and lots of oversight?

The problem is - Ninja Gaiden (Black, the best one) is pretty unique. It's a character action game that isn't really score focused. That puts emphasis on environment and has a little bit of Zelda sprinkled in.

Nothing else really scratches the itch. If we're gonna get more NG, I'd rather it be more like that.

OP
OP
Mesharey

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
I mean, I'm by no means any expert in this genre but Platinum's games have a distinct feel to them for me, and that feel is completely different than Ninja Gaiden (*for me... I suck at these games though, lol).
Yeah, I actually don't want Platinum games.

Team Ninja themselves if not then Soleil with some help from TN, otherwise nope!

Oct 25, 2017
well there's this:
www.ign.com

Itagaki Accused of Sexual Harassment - IGN

A 31-year old female employee of game publisher Tecmo, responsible for the popular Dead or Alive series, recently filed a sexual harassment suit against that series's creator, Tomonobu Itagaki. The suit claims 10 million yen in damages for acts of sexual harassment dating back to September 2003.

No, he left Tecmo for a different reason. He got demoted for the harassment.
Oh ok, he left because he wanted to make his own shitty games?

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Better leave the series alone then.

damn they really aren't interested in the series themselves are they?

It's not that they are not interested, it's just the fact that their rpg'sh games doing much better makes it harder to come back to it. They even going open-world route with Ronin to chase bigger audience.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
The success of their new IPs really does highlight how the modern Ninja Gaiden series were just fairly modest successes. The Nioh games really changed things for them, which is great, but I really would like to get another Ninja Gaiden game out of Team Ninja.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
iirc, it was because of years of unpaid bonuses from DoA4. That led them to rushing out NG2 out the door and immediately leaving afterwards with the core team to make Valhalla studios.

Also while I love platinum, I dont think they are a good fit with a NG game. They are on 2 completely different wavelenghts when it comes to action games. Stylish action vs w/e Ninja Gaiden is.

OP
OP
Mesharey

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

He left because of unpaid bonuses supposedly:
And then, in June of 2008, just as Ninja Gaiden II was making its debut on the Xbox 360, the developer and the publisher had a very public falling out.

According to Itagaki's version of events, when he confronted the president of the company about unpaid bonuses, he was told, "If you are dissatisfied with the decision not to pay the bonuses, either quit the company or sue it." Itagaki did both, filing a $1 million lawsuit alleging unpaid bonuses and "unreasonable and disingenuous statements made towards me." Tecmo responded by saying it had paid the developer a different bonus, calling his accusations "distortions."

But yeah also to make amazing games such as Devil's Third.

It's not that they are not interested, it's just the fact that their rpg'sh games doing much better makes it harder to come back to it. They even going open-world route with Ronin to chase bigger audience.

Yeah, I guess it's hard to justify going back to Ninja Gaiden when Nioh has been much more successful in a shorter timeframe with far less games. Clearly the hybrid action-Soulslike RPG direction has worked for them so far, so I can't blame them.

And hey, I really like Nioh honestly more than Ninja Gaiden, so I can't complain either.

May 15, 2019
That's depressing. Current Team Ninja could probably make a game that tops the structure of Black and the combat of 2, but they'd rather just lean into Soulslikes I guess.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Dunno about you, but I definitely don't want Capcom, or Platinum working on Ninja Gaiden. I think their priorities in the combat system would be pretty misplaced. Despite the doubt, I'd want Soleil to be involved the most. I think with help from Team Ninja, the game could work. And while yes, in terms of presentation, Soleil games generally aren't great, they're also made on a lower budget.

Ideally though, I'd rather have Team Ninja develop it themselves. I know Yasuda is worried that their skillsets wouldn't fit, but I think there's enough shared lineage between Nioh, and Ninja Gaiden, that they could pull it off even now.

Give it to From Soft
That would be one of the last developers I'd want on Ninja Gaiden.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
ninja gaiden not being successful was more koei fault than the ip imo. exclusivity deals and poorly received expanded ports later did their damage on the ip

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Giving the IP to Platinum and not Soleil would be some monkey's paw shit lol. Not every game needs to play like Bayonetta. With a sizable budget I'm sure they'd knock it out of the park. The progression of games they've been making are big steps up one after the other (like Ninjala and Boruto to Samurai Jack to now Valkyrie Elysium in the span of 2 years, with more to come in a few months) and I hope that they get to make a truly phenomenal title someday.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
ninja gaiden not being successful was more koei fault than the ip imo. exclusivity deals and poorly received expanded ports later did their damage on the ip
Yeah, I feel like the 2000's/early 2010s era of Ninja Gaiden games are done. The Ninja Gaiden series needs a reboot, and honestly, if they model it after Sekiro, I think it would be totally fantastic.

OP
OP
Mesharey

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Give it to From Soft
That would be one of the last developers I'd want on Ninja Gaiden.
Yeah, I mean... I like how enemies in From games are there to kill you, and that's like their only aim (if that makes sense) and I think that "fits" with Ninja Gaiden's "feel," but I mean... they're so different in how their games are made and the only two games I can remember that performed well technically were Dark Souls Remastered and Demon's Souls Remake, and those were actually made by some other developer (NGII on 360 flashbacks, lol).

I still say a ninja gaiden 4 classic/NES would be a nice stop gap in the meantime.
And one that would be more easily outsourced at that.
A new 2D Ninja Gaiden could be interesting. I mean we had The Messenger and... that other one I can't remember right now (Ohhh... this is killing me now, lol. Don't tell me its name!). edit: Ah! Cyber Shadow! phew... I think it was on Game Pass for a while, lol.