• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Link

Not much to say aside from the fact that they WANT to make a new NG game, especially since Ninja-themed games have been getting more popular again, but it's nice to be acknowledged.

Some might say you need Itagaki, but I disagree. Razor's Edge had a lot of problems, but the combat mechanics were improved to the point of them being the best in the series; It's just that everything around them was a total mess. Seems to me that they've been learning with Nioh in that department, however, so I've got enough faith that they could pull off something truly special.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kickstart it or bust out uncle Phil's # !!!

Ninja Gaiden Black was both very of its time while also being ahead of the curve.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Yeah makes sense.
They've always said Nioh was allowing them to take a break from the franchise and allow them to go back at it in a better way next time, since the core NG team works on Nioh.
This message is definitely more interesting than previous ones though.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
How about doing a remaster of the previous games and bring them on current platforms?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they are aware that there is demand for a new Ninja Gaiden. Other action games don't do it for me like NG does.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If the Nioh team works on it, sure, but if they let the DOA team work on it (and since Ryu/NG is also tied to the DOA franchise that could happen) we are better off without a new Ninja Gaiden. They drove DOA into the ground and turned my favorite 3D fighter series into my least favorite. I shiver at the tought of what they would do to NG.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd take a release of the old NES games too, just to have them wipe the floor with my ass and hang me on the wall to dry once again.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just give me a 60fps remaster of Ninja Gaiden Black, with the New Game Plus mode only found in the OG Xbox release. Everything after NG2 was a disappointment to me, and I'm being generous with not calling NG2 a disappointment.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just know if they did that it would be with the inferior Sigma versions.
was the Sigma version of the first Ninja Gaiden any bad? I know NGS2 and NGS3 suffered from reduced enemy count compared to their 360 counterparts, but I didn't think that affected the first one. All Sigma added to the first was the Rachel stuff and some extra challenges, right?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If the Nioh team works on it, sure, but if they let the DOA team work on it (and since Ryu/NG is also tied to the DOA franchise that could happen) we are better off without a new Ninja Gaiden. They drove DOA into the ground and turned my favorite 3D fighter series into my least favorite. I shiver at the tought of what they would do to NG.

Where old NGs done by the DOA team?

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
This 100%.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Since we're bringing up NG and Nioh together in here, I'd love a NG where the art direction and enemies lean more towards those seen in Nioh, I'm not saying Hayabusa slaying Yokai but more like....enemies and character design that don't look like the previous 3D NG games....

Look basically I'm trying to say as much as I love me some NG, its art direction is kinda trash.

OP
OP
Firmament1

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
was the Sigma version of the first Ninja Gaiden any bad? I know NGS2 and NGS3 suffered from reduced enemy count compared to their 360 counterparts, but I didn't think that affected the first one. All Sigma added to the first was the Rachel stuff and some extra challenges, right?
Lot of little things.

Raeng made a small list.
  • Marbus no longer takes damage from IS;
  • Inferno no longer demounts Masakado;
  • lots of targeting gone iffy;
  • more glitches;
  • puzzles removed in favour of more combat, negating the excellent pacing;
  • dual katana aren't balanced at all, absolutely negating earlier fights;
  • backdodge got screwed up;
  • a nightmare for Karma runners, most fights weren't tested and thus some timers are impossible to succeed;
  • the game throws a lot more enemies at you constantly in longer and longer waves.
  • the game immediately starts with a fight, not giving the player a chance to even toy around with the controls. This was excellently done in NG04 and NGB, where you could derp around at the start, become familiar with it etc;
  • Rachel segments

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Spoken like someone who never used the Cicada Surge.

The new Steel on Bone mechanics were excellent as well.
I know not a ton of people (particularly NGB die-hards) are all that thrilled with RE, but I am definitely on the camp of the gameplay in RE being the most refined and arguably best version of the 3D trilogy. There are some questionable design decisions in the game itself (not even the t-rex fight, though that's not exactly amazing with its terrible AI...) but the actual combat and moment-to-moment fighting is so much better. Hell, RE took the one thing vanilla had going for it as crazy with SOB and made it way less OP but still a core gameplay mechanic to progressing like a boss that is still mostly OP, but not infinitely OP.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Sounds like they're really thinking of doing it. Absolutely not a confirmation but it sounds like the spirit is there. This has been one of my dream announcements for such a long time.

Nioh is one of my favorite games of all time, I have faith Yasuda. I do think that it would be his team to develop the game considering that's where most of the Ninja Gaiden staff went.

I feel like Yasuda learned the right lessons from NG3 and Yaiba. He talks about the projects briefly in his GDC talk about Nioh, and he's very honest about the impacts the games had on the team.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The "which NG game has the best mechanics and/or feeling" debate will never end because all three main games are a bit different. Some prefer Black, some prefer 2, some RE (I see the point for RE in the challenge mode tbh).
Hell, I've even seen some prefer Sigma, but most of the time they've only played Sigma versions.
Where old NGs done by the DOA team?
Some people from both teams worked on NG, some not. There's no real "DOA team" and "NG team", just core people (as said in the OP).

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Uhhh what we actually want is a Yabia Ninja Gaiden Z 2.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me I have to get the Ninja Gaiden games on Vita, but they never go on sale :(

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just give me a 60fps remaster of Ninja Gaiden Black, with the New Game Plus mode only found in the OG Xbox release. Everything after NG2 was a disappointment to me, and I'm being generous with not calling NG2 a disappointment.
Ninja Gaiden Black was already 60fps and has been remastered through BC X enhancement on Xbox One X and future Xbox consoles.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh what we actually want is a Yabia Ninja Gaiden Z 2.
dcltzuruiaat0vvjckts.jpg

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I feel like it's safe to assume that if they make a new title we could see remasters near/before the release. Of course they could not too, but it just seems like the thing to do.

On a side note I think it's kind of funny that Sekiro is the game that's making them think about Ninja Gaiden, just like how Dark Souls allowed them to reimagine Nioh. I guess Yasuda and friends really, really love From Software.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's safe to assume that if they make a new title we could see remasters near/before the release. Of course they could not too, but it just seems like the thing to do.

On a side note I think it's kind of funny that Sekiro is the game that's making them think about Ninja Gaiden, just like how Dark Souls allowed them to reimagine Nioh. I guess Yasuda and friends really, really love From Software.

It's part of Ninja Gaiden's DNA, lol. The original NES game was inspired by games like Mega Man and Castlevania.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I hope we get one this coming generation, would be awesome to have a comeback as good as DMCV for this franchise.

Some might say you need Itagaki, but I disagree. Razor's Edge had a lot of problems, but the combat mechanics were improved to the point of them being the best in the series; It's just that everything around them was a total mess. Seems to me that they've been learning with Nioh in that department, however, so I've got enough faith that they could pull off something truly special.

I see OP isn't afraid of dropping truth bombs.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The games are X enhanced as it is.
True, Ninja Gaiden Black and 2 is pretty much remastered on the Xbox platform and it's viable option for others. However some people just aren't going to play on that platform so it would be nice if they remastered a collection of all Ninja Gaiden games and versions into one collection for all modern platforms.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
We can get worse than hearing soldiers whine "I don wanna die!!!" the entire damn game?

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I'd take a remastered trilogy right now. For a new installment, I don't think Itagaki is needed. I enjoyed the third and would love to see a new one.