• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku UK

Team Sonic Racing is a 12-player kart racer where racers are split up into four teams. Where kart racers typically reward players for their personal performance and own finishing position, Team Sonic Racing gives each player on a team points based on their finishing position, then adds up those points for an overall team score. Simply put, you can't win as an individual by just being the best racer; if the team doesn't do well, then nobody does.

Team Sonic Racing gives players a number of tools to help out their fellow racers, none of which I have really seen employed in this sort of cooperative racing game before. If you pick up an item (called Wisps) while racing around the track, but are considerably further up the pack than your teammates, you can press a button to offer that item to your team. If one of your team members accepts and takes the item, it'll warp over to them, allowing them to catch up more easily (and hopefully knock a few people off your own tail). If you're the player falling behind, you can use that same button to request items from your team, and any players with an item available have the option to pass theirs over. By passing items between your team, hitting enemy racers with items, or pulling off collaborative racing moves like slipstream boosts, you can slowly build up a team energy meter too which, when full, can be activated to give every racer on your team a short but substantial speed boost.

Shacknews

While Sega and Sumo Digital are aiming for 15 characters, 12 players will be allowed in each race. That's four teams of three, with each team utilizing a Speed, Technique, and Power racer. Each of these racers have their own distinct stats, vehicles, and customization options. For this demo, we got to check out Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles) and Team Dark (Shadow, Rouge, and Mega), each of whom showed different stats and exchanged different banter during the race.

The race itself feels like a straightforward arcade racer. The Shacknews team got to try out a piece of the Wisp Circuit, a single standard track of three laps each. The interesting aspect of this particular track is that it featured multiple paths, with the choice to go left, right, or center. Each path felt noticeably different, with some feeling longer and more straightforward, while another one offered classic Sonic loops. It'll be interesting to see how other, more complex race tracks will encourage the use of the item-sharing mechanic.
Gameplay footage from Laura Kate Dale:

Sounds like a... Hero racer? Or something.

Last edited:

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Watch this be the exact same sort of team based focus that Retro is working on with their Star Fox racing title.

Salex

Oct 26, 2017
Team Sonic Racing gives players a number of tools to help out their fellow racers, none of which I have really seen employed in this sort of cooperative racing game before. If you pick up an item (called Wisps) while racing around the track, but are considerably further up the pack than your teammates, you can press a button to offer that item to your team. If one of your team members accepts and takes the item, it'll warp over to them, allowing them to catch up more easily (and hopefully knock a few people off your own tail). If you're the player falling behind, you can use that same button to request items from your team, and any players with an item available have the option to pass theirs over. By passing items between your team, hitting enemy racers with items, or pulling off collaborative racing moves like slipstream boosts, you can slowly build up a team energy meter too which, when full, can be activated to give every racer on your team a short but substantial speed boost.
This sounds amazing.

This game really needs to have cross-play.

Last edited:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
That's different. It kind of reminds me of Crash Tag Team Racing. I wonder how well this will be implemented.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it sounds really cool. Question is which system to get it on? Probably switch imo but I'd have to see Pro enhancements.

May 5, 2018
If this plays like Sonic Heroes than I'd be disappointed. But reading the Shacknews preview its sounds interesting with alternate paths and specifying the different Racing Archtypes. Also Sumo has done good work before so I still trust this will still be pretty good.

Though my worries about Rouge the Bat being in this is confirmed. Dang it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That Kotaku article makes it sound pretty fun. Still absolutely silly that they took out all the SEGA fun from it, but I'll keep an eye on it.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
I want this to be really good, because I love All Star Racing so much. I didnt like what the gameplay looked like though. It seemed a little slow, and the ring explosion looked to exact and scripted

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So basically from the sounds of it this is the team mode from Mario Kart but turned into a whole game? Well, the people lambasting Onrush for not having a traditional racing mode might have something to look forward to here at least.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I'll like this. I was hoping this woudl be a straight-up continuation of what Transformed did, but seems like it's completely different. The class system could actually add more depth, but I'm not sure the team aspect would translate well to a game like this. We'll see, I'm still interested.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Ahh teams seem like it would have made the all stars angle even cooler. Oh well they got to have some reason for this right?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With this and Onrush... what's with team racing? I thought the point of racing was to be the first to the finish line.

This is still racing to get first (And probably weighted to give the most points by a large margin). You just have to try and get your teammates to finish decently as well.

I want to hear what the wisp items are. They should balanced around assisting your whole team instead of just assisting you only, so that gives them a lot of room to play around with what items you can have instead of the standard Kart Racer set.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Rouge and Omega confirmations (Assuming "mega" is meant to be Omega and was a typo)

Yeah, it's Omega. Famitsu posted a tiny preview of its next issue showing him and Rouge:

w490ns4.jpg

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Team Sonic Racing is a 12-player kart racer where racers are split up into four teams. Where kart racers typically reward players for their personal performance and own finishing position, Team Sonic Racing gives each player on a team points based on their finishing position, then adds up those points for an overall team score. Simply put, you can't win as an individual by just being the best racer; if the team doesn't do well, then nobody does.

Ehhhh not really a fan of the team concept but eh I will give it a go.

Why is this going to be Sonic characters only? What a waste

Because Sonic is far more popular than Sega's IP, so they made the right choice in cutting the dead weight and just focus solely on the Sonic series.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this is going to be a disaster when it comes to playing by yourself with AI companions.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am reminded of driver san fran's car switching mechanic where in some races you need to get 2 racers as first and 2nd

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
If you cross the finish line first, then I hope you automatically take control of another team member!

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too fussed at the loss of non Sonic characters. Not that I'm a fan of the Sonic friends, but I don't find their designs all that visually offensive and what it loses in spread it gains in visual/thematic consistency hopefully. There's plenty of cool potential locations in Sonic.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
that video makes the game looks fun as hell. Im so looking forward to it now, and the graphics are much better also.

Still hoping for a single player campaign.