• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you getting TSR?

• Yes, at launch.

Votes: 185 22.6%
  • Yes, later down the line.

Votes: 283 34.6%
  • Nope, no interest in the game.

Votes: 349 42.7%

• Total voters

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Probably won't buy at launch, but I've been won round on it being another solid Sumo Digital racer even after stripping out all other SEGA IP.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Off-screen footage from November. Since the video itself is only 30fps, it's difficult to tell how well it runs on average but even here you can see that it chugs sometimes.

Sadly, it's not really different from Transformed on consoles that had less than smooth 30fps on all platforms.

Didn't even think there was Switch footage out here. Visually it looks pretty good but yeesh that performance is definitely rocky. It's an older build so I'm sure it's much better now.

https://joshinweb.jp/game/teamsonic.html?ACK=JMMGH

New gameplay and screenshots in this article. The player sucks but gameplay of hidden volcano:

Screenshots include customization, hidden volcano, market street, wisp circuit, roulette road, whale lagoon, lost palace, the story mode and split screen.

Final Fortress is confirmed from this screenshot :

image.thumb.png.3cb0996745d538f0d20825f61c30a6fe.png

You can see Final Fortress to the right. Hoping really hard for an Egg Fleet track in there.

Is this our first time seeing footage of the standard race mode?

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure. Losing the Sega wide rooster and focus on 'team racing' deflated my hype to almost 0 but recent footage did look like fun.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
This is a racing/mechanics driven game. It's understandable people are upset that you can't play as Ryo Hazuki or the monkey from super monkey ball, but if those very same people enjoyed SEGA ALLSTARS for how tight the driving and level designs were: why thumb your nose because you're playing as tiedyed assortments of CMYK colored anthropomorphism? Can't you see the fun in that?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still a bit bummed the roster is a huge step down after the great cameos made from the Sonic & All-Stars games (Daytona car + After Burner jet + Dreamcast controller boat = greatest racing character ever), but considering they decided to delay the game a whopping 6 months hopefully shows it'll still offer up some fun, especially since it's still Sumo Digital. Thankfully, there's still traditional racing & mixing your teams, plus the whole customization thing going on that seems to be more in-depth compared to the mods you could apply to characters in Transformed, so that should help with some variety.

I'm still hyped overall since I'm sure it'll still be fun, but I feel like I would've been more excited if they took the whole team thing & applied it to all of Sega. A Super Monkey Ball team, a Golden Axe team, Jet Set Radio, Sega Hard Girls, Streets of Rage, Crazy Taxi, etc. Not only was it just more fun in terms of character variety, but it also allowed for more track variety. You know how cool it was to see not only Panzer Dragoon but also Skies of Arcadia & BURNING RANGERS get represented via tracks & music? That was amazing.

Plus the fact it's only $40 at launch is a decent deal. Could mean they don't have faith in it being a fully priced retail game, but hey, I only spent $32 via GCU, so the entry point is cheaper than usual.

Last edited:

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I remember getting Sonic Transformed on the Xbox 360 from Toys-R-Us back in the day (RIP Toys-R-Us...) and I think it was around $30? So I guess with nowadays priced at $40 seems normal in a sense.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bought Transformed multiple times on every platform. Gifted it to friends and family. I refuse to buy this game at all.

I am a Sega fan, not a fan of Sonic's extended character roster.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Only 15 characters? That's less than the original ASR had, not even counting dlc/system exclusives. I see theres a story mode, will it have cutscenes and stuff? If so I can understand why the roster is so slim, but it still bites. Having played through Sonic Forces recently I could use a less bad/dumb Sonic story. Any word if there'll be a demo? I'd assume yes since the ASR's both did but this is Sega we're talking about so ya never know.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The lack of other Sega characters is really killing it for me. Unless this thing come out with some crazy high review scores. I just don't see myself grabbing it over CTR unless it's dirt cheap at some point.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Excited. Day 1 most likely.

I loved the first and had a lot of fun with the second as well. I'm just one of those few who liked the first one better.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like it'll probably be a decent racing game. I'm really disappointed with the character selection, as well as the amount of characters, but still the track design looks alright and it's still Sumo Digital.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Only 15 characters? That's less than the original ASR had, not even counting dlc/system exclusives. I see theres a story mode, will it have cutscenes and stuff? If so I can understand why the roster is so slim, but it still bites. Having played through Sonic Forces recently I could use a less bad/dumb Sonic story. Any word if there'll be a demo? I'd assume yes since the ASR's both did but this is Sega we're talking about so ya never know.

The character roster being so slim is probably due to the in-depth customization:

The character roster should have been at least 18 tho and probably more like 21. There is a story mode and it looks like there is a CGI intro. We have screenshot of the story being told with textboxes but there might a couple of cutscenes in there for all we know. Also, no word on a demo yet.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
I am interested in a kart racing game, since Mario Kart was just a port this gen.

I just don't know if there's enough content to justify picking it up. Will there be DLC characters like the Babylon Rogues or the full Chaotix?

I don't know to pick it up on Switch or Xbox either. Is Switch 60FPS?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting it at launch. This summer is going to be big for me when it comes to multiplayer between this, Crash, and Mortal Kombat.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Video is cringy but it has gameplay of 2 tracks that actually look interesting and it explains all the mechanics of the game if anyone is interested:

https://joshinweb.jp/game/teamsonic.html?ACK=JMMGH

New gameplay and screenshots in this article. The player sucks but gameplay of hidden volcano:

Screenshots include customization, hidden volcano, market street, wisp circuit, roulette road, whale lagoon, lost palace, the story mode and split screen.

Final Fortress is confirmed from this screenshot :

image.thumb.png.3cb0996745d538f0d20825f61c30a6fe.png

You can see Final Fortress to the right. Hoping really hard for an Egg Fleet track in there.

The game keeps improving. The guy/girl in the second video seems like he/she has never played a videogame in his/her life lol

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Certainly later, I mean....Summer is pretty packed already....

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly everything about the project makes it seem pretty clear to me that it was more of a budget thing, Sumo's had their hands pretty busy with a bunch of projects lately. Considering their target audience probably picked up Transformed for Sonic and not cool obscure cameos, it makes sense they'd focus in on that aspect if they were financially forced to have a limited roster. Imagine if they had to cut characters like Ryo, Alex Kidd, B.D. Joe, everyone's fave Danika Patrick... the threads would be even more negative.

Honestly I'm impressed with the amount of polish and content it seems to have for what is fundamentally a budget game.

So yeah I still think we'll get another Sega All Stars racer, TSR is basically a cool stop-gap in my mind. And considering that proper sequel would likely be on next-gen hardware, that's pretty hype.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
The lack of other Sega characters is really killing it for me. Unless this thing come out with some crazy high review scores. I just don't see myself grabbing it over CTR unless it's dirt cheap at some point.
It's pretty sad that Crash Team Racing has almost double the characters. They even got the little polar bears in that game.

Mean while, Sonic doesn't care enough to add more than 15 characters. Can't be bothered to add all three chaotix or the babylon rogues in a game about three man racing teams.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It would be neat if they did a Sega All Stars Transformed sequel, with just SEGA characters and then have these Sonic Racing games as their own thing.

That way both can be happy and have their own thing going for both. Plus with removal of more Sonic characters, there could be more Sega representation like Sakura Wars or Vectorman or bring back the weird stuff like Bonanza Bros lol.

I know it's not ideal but just thinking about it is all. (They won't do it though.)

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first game and adored Transformed. This game just seems almost like a downgrade compared to Transformed. No boats, planes, no crossover aspect. Hell, they could just dig deep and pick some obscure Sonic characters and I'd be hyped. Of course that isn't the case.

I'll wait and pick it up later down the line.

Sep 28, 2018
I'll be getting it day one because the car part of SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed was genuinely the best 'kart racing' I've ever experienced and this looks like more of the same.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
It would be neat if they did a Sega All Stars Transformed sequel, with just SEGA characters and then have these Sonic Racing games as their own thing.

That way both can be happy and have their own thing going for both. Plus with removal of more Sonic characters, there could be more Sega representation like Sakura Wars or Vectorman or bring back the weird stuff like Bonanza Bros lol.

I know it's not ideal but just thinking about it is all. (They won't do it though.)
Maybe if this does well enough, they'll decide to make a sequel to this & call it Sonic & Sega All-Stars Team Racing or Team Sega All-Stars Racing or something and this is more testing out some mechanics to see if it's worth fleshing out in a sequel.

I think playing a ton of Sega Heroes on mobile, a game where the entire point is to have teams of 4 from different franchises, makes me wish they had more than just Sonic considering you can make a team of 4 considering nothing of Crazy Taxi characters....in a match 3 puzzle/RPGish game. Yet they don't make it into a RACING game.

It's a shame knowing that the game itself will probably be pretty decent overall, but when you have two previous games that was celebrating Sega's history & letting previously unmentioned franchises finally get some spotlight after so many years, it's kinda a let down to go to just Sonic characters, especially when some of the teams don't even make sense. Why is Vector with Silver & Blaze when you could've EASILY just did what Sonic Heroes had & gone with Team Chaotix? Seeing the Chao come back is neat, but why not make that their own team instead of making Team Rose be one member short, or just pair Cream with all the Chao?

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty excited about rings linked to speed mechanic. No rings cap means no speed cap? :O

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's pretty sad that Crash Team Racing has almost double the characters. They even got the little polar bears in that game.

Mean while, Sonic doesn't care enough to add more than 15 characters. Can't be bothered to add all three chaotix or the babylon rogues in a game about three man racing teams.
To be fair, half of CTR's roster is a bit forgettable, especially CNK's part of it with three Shrek clones, N.Trance and Crunch.

Pretty excited about rings linked to speed mechanic. No rings cap means no speed cap? :O
Doubt it, tracks would have to be designed with insane speeds in mind so unless this is Sumo's way of telling Nintendo they want to make a new F-Zero, it's not very likely.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Nope. It doesn't even seem interesting, but I resent it for not being a SEGA All-Stars game & I have CTR to scratch that Kart racing itch.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame knowing that the game itself will probably be pretty decent overall, but when you have two previous games that was celebrating Sega's history & letting previously unmentioned franchises finally get some spotlight after so many years, it's kinda a let down to go to just Sonic characters, especially when some of the teams don't even make sense. Why is Vector with Silver & Blaze when you could've EASILY just did what Sonic Heroes had & gone with Team Chaotix? Seeing the Chao come back is neat, but why not make that their own team instead of making Team Rose be one member short, or just pair Cream with all the Chao?
For the vector thing

Simply put , Silver and blaze are problably more popular than the entirety of chaotix, and they had a limited budget They needed a team of 3 vector is a big strong character and that's about it. And would you play a team of all different chao? I don't think so , I think the single car works.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I would be hyped if I could play as other SEGA characters(imagine if the roster was a mix of Sonic, some classic Sega characters, and current character like Bayonetta, Kazuma Kiryu, and Joker to name a few). As of now, this seems like a rental for me, unfortunately.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I remember getting Sonic Transformed on the Xbox 360 from Toys-R-Us back in the day (RIP Toys-R-Us...) and I think it was around $30? So I guess with nowadays priced at $40 seems normal in a sense.
I think most Sonic games post Unleashed have launched at lower than standard MSRP. Transformed launched at $40, IIRC.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Mildly interested, because I'm always down for a good kart racer.

Now I'm just waiting to see if it is a good kart racer.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I have some interest in it, but not enough to definitively say I'll ever be picking it up... now or later down the line.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doubt it, tracks would have to be designed with insane speeds in mind so unless this is Sumo's way of telling Nintendo they want to make a new F-Zero, it's not very likely.
Yeah I mean I hope we can go really fast with enough amount of rings. That and a good circuit layout design to drift-boost non stop would be great as previous Sonic Racers

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
This new game doesn't have my favorite, beloved, classic SEGA characters like Team Fortress, Wreck-It Ralph, Danica Patrick, Banjo-Kazooie, or Hot Wheels! What the heck!

Yogscast can stay out.

Transformed had such a weird cast. Looking forward to Team Sonic Racing despite the lack of other SEGA franchises.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
No, I bought too many of these ls4 games to realize the drop in price way too fast.

But I suspect it will be worth playing for sure, esp with owning the trilogy and loving the og

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How did we go from Sega All Stars to just Sonic? It's like after Smash Ultimate we go to a new Smash that only features Mario characters.

I want references to Skies of Arcadia, Nights, Shenmue, etc. Only Sonic is different to get hyped for.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
How did we go from Sega All Stars to just Sonic? It's like after Smash Ultimate we go to a new Smash that only features Mario characters.

I want references to Skies of Arcadia, Nights, Shenmue, etc. Only Sonic is different to get hyped for.

Especially because SEGA only pays attention to, like, 4 franchises right now, so this was the only way to see those other franchises outside of that mobile game. Hell, none of those 3/4 of those franchises weren't in Transformed, so even that would have made things more interesting.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Especially because SEGA only pays attention to, like, 4 franchises right now, so this was the only way to see those other franchises outside of that mobile game. Hell, none of those 3/4 of those franchises weren't in Transformed, so even that would have made things more interesting.
I'm pretty sure they were? I remmeber there being a track from Skies, a forklift from Shenmue and Nights waves the checkered flag!

But yeah this game sounds like a huge downgrade from the last two.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I'm pretty sure they were? I remmeber there being a track from Skies, a forklift from Shenmue and Nights waves the checkered flag!

But yeah this game sounds like a huge downgrade from the last two.

OH, I meant 3/4 of the franchises SEGA cares about in 2019. We obviously had Sonic, but Yakuza, Puyo Puyo, & Persona all missed Transformed.

No way am I forgetting the Skies of Arcadia love in that game.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I actually am interested in the team stuff as well. Racing co-operatively with folks is actually one of the more fun ways to get some of the family who is at lower skill level into Mario Kart 8

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Ahem. You forgot about Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour

I enjoyed that game... but I don't know if you're serious. Did it have any real depth? I don't remember that being true. Reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing, which is also mechanically shallow.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I'll consider grabbing it if it doesn't have that shocking AI rubberbanding that made me drop Transformed after two tracks. The game seems mechanically sound and I'd like to get in on this.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I never was a big fan of Sumo's racing games... I think the "Arcade" feel puts me off everytime I play.. The gameplay feels more like an realistic car game such as Daytona, but they got items and crazy track designs. Not quite hits the mark what I expect of Kart racers, but does it job, I guess..

but what I drove me to buy these games were the cast of SEGA characters really, and the tracks when based on those properties were just amazing! .. Now, I'm not super thrilled to see this turning in yet another Sonic SpinOFF with his friends. These characters got plenty of spolight in the last two decades.

So I'm not buying it at launch or anytime soon. CTR is my antecipated game of the year and that will satisfy my desire for a new racing game. But for TSR, I may buy way later when its cheap for my collection.