• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you getting TSR?

• Yes, at launch.

Votes: 185 22.6%
  • Yes, later down the line.

Votes: 283 34.6%
  • Nope, no interest in the game.

Votes: 349 42.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I enjoyed that game... but I don't know if you're serious. Did it have any real depth? I don't remember that being true. Reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing, which is also mechanically shallow.

I don't know that the handling is particularly advanced, but I remember it holding up really well to CTR. Maybe it's just that I haven't played CTR in a while. I think one thing both games have in common is challenging AI and some interesting shortcuts in the tracks rather than just basic circuit designs.

WDWQMRT isn't, like, on the level of Mario Kart DS with snaking, but it's probably the game that comes closest in my estimation from those I've played, at least the ones this side of the Sega All-Stars series.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Also everyone ready for inevitable free movie tie in dlc of movie style Dr Robotnik and Sonic? (Honestly it's be the least wierd tie in this series had since we had Danica Patrick)

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know that the handling is particularly advanced, but I remember it holding up really well to CTR. Maybe it's just that I haven't played CTR in a while. I think one thing both games have in common is challenging AI and some interesting shortcuts in the tracks rather than just basic circuit designs.

WDWQMRT isn't, like, on the level of Mario Kart DS with snaking, but it's probably the game that comes closest in my estimation from those I've played, at least the ones this side of the Sega All-Stars series.

Ah that makes sense. Yeah I mean I did enjoy it at the time.

The reason I like CTR though is in large part, because the boosting mechanics are so indepth. There are five different types of boost (level 1, 2, 3, sacred fire, and ultimate sacred fire) as well as something called the 'reserve' system, wherein left-over boost stacks into a reserve 'pool' which can be consumed to take elaborate shortcuts.

It all surmounts in a system where in CTR, you're playing 10 turns ahead to have enough reserves to take the shortcut you need at the end of the lap. It has near endless mechanical depth and lends itself to very strategic play. And this at a time where the current gen counterparts like MK8 are actually quite shallow.

On topic, at least Sonic Racing has some interesting team mechanics that should add depth to the game. I imagine the slingshot boosting system can be leveraged very effectively by especially coordinated teams. Team racing has always been fun for me. The team mode in Dirt Rally 2 (different type of game, I know) was my favourite.

I think in general, the lack of team racing is part of what makes racing games less popular than other genres. People like to work together towards shared goals. I really hope the team racing thing is an option online, as I'd like to play with friends and maybe team up with some of you folks from ERA.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I never was a big fan of Sumo's racing games... I think the "Arcade" feel puts me off everytime I play.. The gameplay feels more like an realistic car game such as Daytona, but they got items and crazy track designs. Not quite hits the mark what I expect of Kart racers, but does it job, I guess..

but what I drove me to buy these games were the cast of SEGA characters really, and the tracks when based on those properties were just amazing! .. Now, I'm not super thrilled to see this turning in yet another Sonic SpinOFF with his friends. These characters got plenty of spolight in the last two decades.

So I'm not buying it at launch or anytime soon. CTR is my antecipated game of the year and that will satisfy my desire for a new racing game. But for TSR, I may buy way later when its cheap for my collection.
I can understand that, I've always felt like Sumo's Sega/Sonic racers really felt more like Outrun 2 with weapons than they did defacto kart racers (MK, CTR). But I sort of love that they feel more like a direct descendant to Sega's rich AM drift racing legacy at the same time, it's totally appropriate in a weird way.

I've never played them but I've always been curious if Namco's arcade Mario Karts were more along these lines too?

Deleted member 25140

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
https://joshinweb.jp/game/teamsonic.html?ACK=JMMGH

New gameplay and screenshots in this article. The player sucks but gameplay of hidden volcano:

Screenshots include customization, hidden volcano, market street, wisp circuit, roulette road, whale lagoon, lost palace, the story mode and split screen.

Final Fortress is confirmed from this screenshot :

image.thumb.png.3cb0996745d538f0d20825f61c30a6fe.png

You can see Final Fortress to the right. Hoping really hard for an Egg Fleet track in there.

Is that really Sonic 06's Flame Core in that video?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Track number is nuts but I won't be buying this. Lost faith in the Sonic franchise ages ago

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I don't think I will be purchasing it launch day but I'm definitely interested. I really enjoyed the last two games.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I can understand that, I've always felt like Sumo's Sega/Sonic racers really felt more like Outrun 2 with weapons than they did defacto kart racers (MK, CTR). But I sort of love that they feel more like a direct descendant to Sega's rich AM drift racing legacy at the same time, it's totally appropriate in a weird way.

I've never played them but I've always been curious if Namco's arcade Mario Karts were more along these lines too?
I never played any of the Mario Kart Arcade GP games, but I suppose they'd be more in lines of.. Pac-Man World Rally? It's the only NAMCO kart racer that I played for comparison :p

and just to be clear, I don't think Sonic All-Stars games are bad, ... they're fine. I just don't like them that much. The cast was everything that held me.. and now that one thing is gone too.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be a serviceable racing title--I expect no less from Sumo--but I'm honestly not expecting much beyond that.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I'm sure it'll be good since it's Sumo, but I'm just not that excited about an All-Sonic racing game.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A kart racer that will likely be far superior to this one releases just one month after. I can wait.

Team Sonic Racing will probably be $30 the week of release of Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled to try and compete.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the game is up on the Switch eShop. 6.5GB, graphics look toned down of course but seem to retain some of the lighting from the other versions. No new gameplay video unfortunately. One thing that's interesting is that it's being published by Sega USA, not Sega.

It's 5.5GB on the Japanese eShop and does include English. Unlike the US eShop, it can be preloaded 🤔

Disco54

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
This game's concept looks completely stupid. Sonic is in a car. May as well have Spiderman just walk around New York. These characters all can run fast. This is like me having a lawnmower racing game.

Guess it is back to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for me and Crash Team Racing as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A kart racer that will likely be far superior to this one releases just one month after. I can wait.

Team Sonic Racing will probably be $30 the week of release of Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled to try and compete.
they look on par tbh feature and gameplay wise.
its nice to have multiple good kart racers again.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic characters does nothing for me, at least Transformed had some SEGA nostalgia I could relate to. But, assuming it's still as solid a racer as before I might give it a try during a sale or a free weekend.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
As an HUGE fan of Transformed (one of my favorite arcade racer ever)... nope, I don't think I'm never going to pick this, everything about it looks utterly bad, and it's a big shame :'(

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Looks like the game is up on the Switch eShop. 6.5GB, graphics look toned down of course but seem to retain some of the lighting from the other versions. No new gameplay video unfortunately. One thing that's interesting is that it's being published by Sega USA, not Sega.

It's 5.5GB on the Japanese eShop and does include English. Unlike the US eShop, it can be preloaded 🤔
Still not up in the PS Store :/. Wondered what's happening.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This game's concept looks completely stupid. Sonic is in a car. May as well have Spiderman just walk around New York. These characters all can run fast. This is like me having a lawnmower racing game.

Guess it is back to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for me and Crash Team Racing as well.

I like how no one ever complains about Tails flying a plane even though he can already fly but apparently Sonic driving a car is just too outrageous.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Waiting on reviews and footage of higher speed tiers. I'm more interested than I was at first but still not quite sold. (And yeah, it's a bummer to not be outright excited about this, because Transformed was great.)

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I like how no one ever complains about Tails flying a plane even though he can already fly but apparently Sonic driving a car is just too outrageous.
Tails' a weak-ass that can barely fly for more than 10 seconds. Him building a plane for much longer flights makes sense. Sonic is faster than any car.

The "why is Sonic in a car" complaint is really stupid though. He just does it to be fair.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I've been dying for a new Sonic racer since 2012 and although I'm a bit disappointed they didn't evolve on the Transformed concept with lots of different Sega characters, I'm certainly in day 1 for a current gen title. I loved Transformed.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Really annoying! I wonder why. I seldom buy games physically anymore. I'd love to play this day one, but it looks like physical is the only way. It doesn't even have a profile page on the store!
Lol what? There's no way this game won't be available digitally, I mean, when was the last time a game was available physical only. I can only think of the Nintendo Labo games.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Just heard a discussion about Team Sonic Racing gameplay demo on a french podcast. They loved it. Team mechanics worked really well it seems.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully there's a new livestream soon by Aaron Webber and the good folks over at the US office. Maybe they'll disclose some more info about the game overall.