• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you getting TSR?

• Yes, at launch.

Votes: 185 22.6%
  • Yes, later down the line.

Votes: 283 34.6%
  • Nope, no interest in the game.

Votes: 349 42.7%

• Total voters

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I honestly disagree with the theory that the game is especially low budget. It has less characters and IP but it has a huge amount of customization, dialog (something almost entirely new to thee original SEGA Sumo titles) and a full featured story mode. These are not cheap additions.

Now do these seem like bad priorities to take in hindsight? Sure, but only because this game is launching so close to another notable mascot racer and because past original SEGA Sumo titles had a much greater depth of character diversity. If this was the first time we were seeing a Sonic racing game since Sonic Free Riders I think people would be a lot more forgiving.

For the most casual players they know the few sonic characters they do and will play them and characters the think look cool. They problably wont know who omega and zavok is.

But in general due to sega's lack of doing shit with a lot of their franchises, people wouldn't know a lot of sega characters. I don't think this is arguable really. No one gives a shit if its no humans, they bought a sonic game, its sonic the fucking hedgehog. They know what they are getting into generally.
Knowing a character is honestly not that big of a deal. Have you played SEGA Heroes on mobile? That game's community are absolutely LOVING a lot of the additions to that even if they have absolutely no clue where the characters originate from. Unfortunately that game has a pretty clear meta that kinda forces certain characters into the game for the arena but that is true with most games like this.

I know SEGA will not release the data if they even record anything like that, but I would love to see the average playtime for certain characters in this game. I bet characters like Blaze, Big, Vector and even Zavok will be way more popular than most fans assume.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I think I'll likely get the game, but the character roster really leaves a lot to be desired for multiple reasons.

I'm no SEGA fan, but it's a clear step down from their previous entires. Imagine if after Smash Ultimate they made, like, Mario Ultimate Fighters. People would be pissed. Mario is great, but people love Samus, Link, and Ike too, y'know?

Now as a Sonic fan, this is a missed opportunity too. The roster is all right, but if you're going to exclude obscure SEGA characters you may as well throw in some obscure Sonic ones, right? Especially after the success of Mania, does it not make sense to include characters like Ray and Mighty? Doing so would accomplish multiple things:

* Pleasing fans of Mania and, thus, enticing them to buy this game

* introducing new fans to characters that would entice them to buy THAT game.

Super Smash Bros. absolutely played a role in the increase in popularity of obscure Nintendo franchises like Fire Emblem and Earthbound. The fact that SEGA don't see that is utterly bizarre to me, just like they're weird desire to segment "Classic" and "Modern" Sonic. Why not put both together and please everybody??

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I honestly disagree with the theory that the game is especially low budget. It has less characters and IP but it has a huge amount of customization, dialog (something almost entirely new to thee original SEGA Sumo titles) and a full featured story mode. These are not cheap additions.

Now do these seem like bad priorities to take in hindsight? Sure, but only because this game is launching so close to another notable mascot racer and because past original SEGA Sumo titles had a much greater depth of character diversity. If this was the first time we were seeing a Sonic racing game since Sonic Free Riders I think people would be a lot more forgiving.

The game is absolutely lower budget. It may have a story but it seems to be told via textboxes and it has transformed single player challengers. There is a ton of dialogue but they've cut on the VA of Knuckles and Zavok to probably hire cheaper VAs as can be seen by their voices not sounding like them. Furthermore, they're recycled 9 tracks out of the past games without significant track layout changes. There are also a lot of reused assets across a single new zones even if it doesn't look like it because they did a damn good job at differentiating tracks within the same zone despite limitations.

The only thing that could be considered costly is the in-depth customization and it might explain the reduced number of characters.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The game is absolutely lower budget. It may have a story but it seems to be told via textboxes and it has transformed single player challengers. There is a ton of dialogue but they've cut on the VA of Knuckles and Zavok to probably hire cheaper VAs as can be seen by their voices not sounding like them. Furthermore, they're recycled 9 tracks out of the past games without significant track layout changes. There are also a lot of reused assets across a single new zones even if it doesn't look like it because they did a damn good job at differentiating tracks within the same zone despite limitations.

The only thing that could be considered costly is the in-depth customization and it might explain the reduced number of characters.
The story scenes are visual novel style, but all voiced. Different VAs for Knuckles and Zavok might just be from the past one being too committed to other projects or something, or maybe SEGA Japan just wanted to swap some of the voices again. It is not fair to assume they went cheaper JUST because they are different. The reverse is completely possible if they are two different VAs this time.

Recycled tracks is absolutely a notable thing, but Mario Kart has done that for years now and Crash Team Racing is potentially ALL recycled tracks. All of the past SEGA Sumo titles had a strong degree of asset reuse anyways too, even outside of track layouts.

Another thing is that the team behind this particular game is entirely new. They had contact with past devs, but Transformed was the third game by the past team, whereas this is the first. It is hard to directly compare how effective they are when this team is also working on several platforms they do not have a large degree of history on.

I would not go as far to say I think this game is especially high budget or anything, but I just believe the shift in priorities is why so much of the game seems thinner on a surface level.

Fake edit: It is also worth noting that this game has a long list of original songs. Not just remixes or reused tracks they had laying around, but entirely new compositions.

wtl420

Feb 16, 2019
Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed was a lot of fun and I didn't expect anything out of it at all. Unfortunately this one hasn't really caught my attention at all yet; but maybe that'll change once it has been released.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
The story scenes are visual novel style, but all voiced. Different VAs for Knuckles and Zavok might just be from the past one being too committed to other projects or something, or maybe SEGA Japan just wanted to swap some of the voices again. It is not fair to assume they went cheaper JUST because they are different. The reverse is completely possible if they are two different VAs this time.

Recycled tracks is absolutely a notable thing, but Mario Kart has done that for years now and Crash Team Racing is potentially ALL recycled tracks. All of the past SEGA Sumo titles had a strong degree of asset reuse anyways too, even outside of track layouts.

Another thing is that the team behind this particular game is entirely new. They had contact with past devs, but Transformed was the third game by the past team, whereas this is the first. It is hard to directly compare how effective they are when this team is also working on several platforms they do not have a large degree of history on.

I would not go as far to say I think this game is especially high budget or anything, but I just believe the shift in priorities is why so much of the game seems thinner on a surface level.

Fake edit: It is also worth noting that this game has a long list of original songs. Not just remixes or reused tracks they had laying around, but entirely new compositions.

The OST is one aspect where they didn't cheap out on at all I agree. Mario Kart does it too but they remix their recycled tracks and some of them are even built from the ground up like the GBA ones. They also redesign them to match the mechanics of the game which TSR doesnt seem to do. CTR is definitely a 100% recycled tracks tho

The original ASR was also budget but Transformed definitely wasn't. I do think the dev team on this might be part of the reason of the shift as well.

Btw, this isn't to shit on TSR. I'm very hyped for it and I think the dev team did a great job with the resources they have.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Whoa, that's interesting I didn't know that.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Even though I'm a huge Sonic fan I have zero interest in this. I just want to see the next main line game. I don't care for any side games anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I'm a huge Sonic fan I have zero interest in this. I just want to see the next main line game. I don't care for any side games anymore.
I don't even really care that it's a Sonic game, and more that it's just a really good kart racer. If you aren't into those then yeah, it's a pass.

I'm afraid that we won't be seeing a mainline Sonic game until 2021, which is the 30th anniversary.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Waiting to see how it turns out, just can't seem to get excited about this one but hoping for the best.

I enjoyed S&ASRT back in the day, so will probably get this at some point, unless it turns out to be crap. We need more arcade / kart racing games, so hopefully this and CTR are both great.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original ASR was also budget but Transformed definitely wasn't. I do think the dev team on this might be part of the reason of the shift as well.
Yeah. I'm playing Transformed again in anticipation to TSR (I even played the 3DS version) and all circuits just look awesome considering there are some circuits that change a lot between laps. Great production values all along. I can see why people might think TSR is a budget title coming from Transformed but I also think TSR looks great.

Also any of you guys had issues with Transformed on PS3? the game is displayed 4:3 in my TV. None of my other games do that :(

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game comes out in 10 days. What would you need to see to up your hype level?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Man I don't know. I loved Transformed, but not sure about the cast, and about tracks having repeated areas like in All Stars 1. But Sumo are so good at making racers....

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

Honestly, outside of it magically turning into a SEGA All-Stars game in that time? Not much. Not even them cancelling CTR at this point. All this game is doing that's interesting me is the OST, & I put dozens of hours into S&SASRT.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how fast the game will get in the later "CC" classes? Based on the videos I saw now I could potentially see me getting this game day-1 for me and my friends but what I saw so far seems slower than Mario Kart Wii 150cc and Mario Kart 8 200cc.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how fast the game will get in the later "CC" classes? Based on the videos I saw now I could potentially see me getting this game day-1 for me and my friends but what I saw so far seems slower than Mario Kart Wii 150cc and Mario Kart 8 200cc.
Nah we still don't. We have a little over a week so I'm sure some review codes should be going out very soon if not already.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'm worried slightly for the Switch port. Really hoping it's a solid version.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
All the gmaeplay I've seen so far has suggested all races are between teams, not between individuals. That bums me out, since I would need to rely on the AI.

//Edit: Looks like there is a non-teqm mode. That's good at least

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just an hype launch trailer and info of the story/sp mode. I would like to see what kind of challenges Sumo will bring to this now. Solo, Team and No Item races, Time Attack, and Turbo challenges are a lock I assume. Probably something like ring-gate challenges as well?

I hope they get rid of traffic and tank challenges though

Have you played Transformed on the harder difficulties? If anything I expect the AI to carry me.

Lol that's true. I've just pased 200 star gate on Transformed and I would love some AI help

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Just an hype launch trailer and info of the story/sp mode. I would like to see what kind of challenges Sumo will bring to this now. Solo, Team and No Item races, Time Attack, and Turbo challenges are a lock I assume. Probably something like ring-gate challenges as well?

I hope they get rid of traffic and tank challenges though

I'm personally hoping for boss fights. I dunno if it's wise but whatever, let's hope for fan service where we can lol.

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018
Honestly, I was interested until I found out about the co-op stuff, that's the turn off.

I was hopping for a pure kart racer like the last one, with the transformation stuff taken out...

I'm now no longer interested really, sadly.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I'm not hyped, more like waiting to be pleasantly surprised - hopefully. The roster is baffling. I'm going to trust Sumo on this one because they make great kart games but I'm still salty that it's going to be a bunch of saturday morning cartoon rejects and not like Vyse or Nights.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the reasons this game's marketing has been abysmal is because, at least according to the eShop, it's been published by Sega USA instead of Sega. Perhaps it just doesn't have the budget for it overall? I'm not sure how this goes but most other games on there show Sega and not Sega USA.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
My older brother who plays maybe two games a year told me today he wanted to play this one together after seeing a new video. I think the team aspect could be interesting after all.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think one of the reasons this game's marketing has been abysmal is because, at least according to the eShop, it's been published by Sega USA instead of Sega. Perhaps it just doesn't have the budget for it overall? I'm not sure how this goes but most other games on there show Sega and not Sega USA.
Sega USA is basically just Atlus USA. TSR is like Sonic Mania in that even though it's developed in the west it's still overseen by producers in Japan rather than handled by Sega West directly. This is different from the previous two All-Stars Sumo racers (and also Whitehead's mobile Sonic 1/2/CD remasters) I believe.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sonic allstars racing transformed was so good so i am hyped about this one. i am dissapointed there will only be sonic characters though

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to it. The team mechanics sound perfect for local co-OP with friends.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Do we know if it supports racing wheels? Before anyone makes fun of me, the first Sonic racing game on 360 did.

That would change my maybe to a day one.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally hoping for boss fights. I dunno if it's wise but whatever, let's hope for fan service where we can lol.

Here you have a Zazz boss fight and you're gonna like it

If boss fight arent like tank missions, that would be great

My older brother who plays maybe two games a year told me today he wanted to play this one together after seeing a new video. I think the team aspect could be interesting after all.

Outside Era I heard team features are well received. My niece and her friends love the idea, that's for sure

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Here you have a Zazz boss fight and you're gonna like it

If boss fight arent like tank missions, that would be great

Yeah... hopefully not... We might have rival races with Zavok and Metal Sonic but I was more thinking/hoping for one boss per zone. For example, Sandopolis would have King Boom Boo as a boss and Glacierland would have the lava monster in Hidden Volcano as a boss. Their models are already in the game. It could just be that they add more hazards and you have an objective to accomplish during the track and it would still be really neat.

Also,maybe the Haunted Castle track has a dark gaia monster that could also serve as boss. Seaside Hill could have the giant squid as a boss. Throw in maybe a boss or two like the tank mission in Transformed with some Eggman mech and it could be really neat. Anyways, it's just my wishful thinking as there's a story mode in the game.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TJmPiSL.gif

Tails's car looks badass.

Btw. Does anyone know if tricks are done with a button or right stick in this?

Last edited:

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... hopefully not... We might have rival races with Zavok and Metal Sonic but I was more thinking/hoping for one boss per zone. For example, Sandopolis would have King Boom Boo as a boss and Glacierland would have the lava monster in Hidden Volcano as a boss. Their models are already in the game. It could just be that they add more hazards and you have an objective to accomplish during the track and it would still be really neat.

Also,maybe the Haunted Castle track has a dark gaia monster that could also serve as boss. Seaside Hill could have the giant squid as a boss. Throw in maybe a boss or two like the tank mission in Transformed with some Eggman mech and it could be really neat. Anyways, it's just my wishful thinking as there's a story mode in the game.
Sounds great. Especially a Dark Gaia boss. I liked it a lot in Unleashed.

Also I wonder what console will have larger player base to play online. I know I'll buy PS4 for 60fps gameplay, but I think Switch will have a larger number of player maybe?

Anyway I hope Switch version is solid. Eshop screens looks great at least

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
TJmPiSL.gif

Tails's car looks badass.

Btw. Does anyone know if tricks are done with a button or right stick in this?

That's a customized car ! People have been saying it controls like transformed so i assume it's still the right stick. That gif looks amazing. May I ask where that footage comes from ?

Sounds great. Especially a Dark Gaia boss. I liked it a lot in Unleashed.

Also I wonder what console will have larger player base to play online. I know I'll buy PS4 for 60fps gameplay, but I think Switch will have a larger number of player maybe?

Anyway I hope Switch version is solid. Eshop screens looks great at least

Switch will probably have the largest playerbase with PC or PS4 that follows. Surprisingly, Transformed sold nearly a million copies on steam alone so TSR is poised to do well there, especially considering that CTR isn't coming out any time soon there.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a customized car ! People have been saying it controls like transformed so i assume it's still the right stick. That gif looks amazing. May I ask where that footage comes from ?

It's from previously posted video:

More 60fps gameplay.

It's a preview for the spanish site Vandal

In the previous games, it was using the right analog stick. They flip in the direction you tilt the analog stick.

In All Stars 1 it was just a button, in Transformed it was the stick.

I'd prefer a button, my weak ass disabled fingers don't take stick waggling too good.